Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 12

Demonland

23 hours ago, Ricky P said:

Don't know what games you guys are at. The members go nuts. I've heard opposition fans say "there's not many of them but they're loud". 

I agree.

If there's been one main thing about our crowds at the G this year, it's that (whether home or away), the first three levels of the MCC are near-full with vocal Melbourne supporters. 

7 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

Totally agree OD. I am always delighted when we turn out in our traditional strip. In my view there is no case for us to play in the alternate strip when there is no clash of jumpers. I venture to suggest though that since QB is traditionally a home game, if it were the reverse, I bet we would have gone with the white strip: one of the few things I admire about Eddie is he does stand up for Collingwood tradition. The QB sight of both teams in the traditional strip is entirely driven by Eddie's refusal to wear the alternative strip. In that, he is dead right. It is about time we stood up for our equally strong traditions. 

Why are we talking about clash jumpers again...?

Anyway, two things. First, we were away to Collingwood in Round 4 and wore our traditional jumper, so you're wrong about that. Second, Collingwood does have an alternative strip - it's a predominantly white jumper with black stripes, rather than the other way around.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dante said:

And then there was BT's comment when Collingwood kicked the first goal of the last quarter, I can feel something special going on here, when the lead is under 30 points anything can happen, well it did, we kicked a few more goals and won easily.

I remember this and it really farked me off.

My response was " u r a cook sucker BT" to which my 15 yo daughter goes what a cook sucker dad???

Let's just say I mumbled my way through that one. 

In my defence what i said was right though as I explained to the wife!

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

I remember this and it really farked me off.

My response was " u r a cook sucker BT" to which my 15 yo daughter goes what a cook sucker dad???

Let's just say I mumbled my way through that one. 

In my defence what i said was right though as I explained to the wife!

HAHA!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

Totally agree BB. JW epitomises the overall improvement of the team, and that mark puts the doubts about Watts to do with his intensity and hardness well and truly to bed. 

On the subject of Jack Watts, has anyone else noticed the dislike of him, bordering on contempt, of many opposition supporters, particularly the Carlton mob. It is truly disgusting. I suspect it may have a bit to do with their unsuccessful attempt to sign him during his last contract negotiations, but some of the comments I have heard from them are totally over the top. 

I just love the fact that with his hard work and loyalty and getting the correct coaches to help develop him that he is now showing us all what he is capable of. 

Watts would have to be one of the mentally strongest players in the AFL. 

i feel really proud of him just like one of my own kids as I always have had belief in him. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Pates said:

Garlett's best 22, he had a shocker v the Hawks and BenKen was able to step in. It's what happens when Casey has a great season, we start to develop depth. 

I think the reverse is true: Casey is having a great season because we have developed some depth.

That said, many of the players holding Casey at the top of the ladder are the "almost good enough" types (ANB, Newton, Michie, Jones, Terlich, Grimes et al) who are unlikely to make an impression in the seniors if called upon, so I'd be careful about tossing the word "depth" around.  I still wouldn't want to see our injury list start to grow too much.  

It's definitely a positive that they're all playing well and keeping the heat on the players in the senior side though, no doubt about that.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2016 at 2:26 PM, Demonised said:

Think we had the better of the umpiring. We got away with quite a few dodgy disposals, and a number of 50/50s went our way.

Thank goodness we are finally pushing the limits of what constitutes a legal hand ball. No coincidence that the clubs that clear the ball like lightning, often sleight of hand, are also those who have had the most success over the last 8 to 10 years.

We have finally caught on, sitting In 2nd position (almost equal 1st) in clearances with the GWS Circus. All kudos to our FD here and a huge ty! Roosy I could kiss ya mate! Beautiful to watch after so many years of watching us play what looked like (for me) ordinary 80s/90s type old style hand ball/clearance work.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And how good was it to watch a game where both teams just play the ball and don't drop their knees or lead with the head looking for cheap frees?

Yes Dr I would add that neither team is in danger of playing finals. It was a good old suburban team clash.

Yes I know I am old but this is football to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

I agree.

If there's been one main thing about our crowds at the G this year, it's that (whether home or away), the first three levels of the MCC are near-full with vocal Melbourne supporters. 

Why are we talking about clash jumpers again...?

Anyway, two things. First, we were away to Collingwood in Round 4 and wore our traditional jumper, so you're wrong about that. Second, Collingwood does have an alternative strip - it's a predominantly white jumper with black stripes, rather than the other way around.

Which they wear when there is a clash of jumpers and they are playing away. It is not a policy to which we always adhere. 

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

I think the reverse is true: Casey is having a great season because we have developed some depth.

That said, many of the players holding Casey at the top of the ladder are the "almost good enough" types (ANB, Newton, Michie, Jones, Terlich, Grimes et al) who are unlikely to make an impression in the seniors if called upon, so I'd be careful about tossing the word "depth" around.  I still wouldn't want to see our injury list start to grow too much.  

It's definitely a positive that they're all playing well and keeping the heat on the players in the senior side though, no doubt about that.

Agree generally, although  Grimes at his best IMHO is definitely  AFL standard. The others are back ups. 

The others at Casey last week who are AFL standard are Garlett, Spencer and Pederson, and those on the injury list Brayshaw, Salem and Dunn. In addition we have some terrific youngsters learning their craft who I think will make it: Huelett, Weideman, Smith. 

We are not badly off for back up - as strong as any in the AFL (at least in the Victorian clubs) and that I guess is why we are on top of the VFL Ladder. 

3 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

Agree generally, although  Grimes at his best IMHO is definitely  AFL standard. The others are back ups. 

The others at Casey last week who are AFL standard are Garlett, Spencer and Pederson, and those on the injury list Brayshaw, Salem and Dunn. In addition we have some terrific youngsters learning their craft who I think will make it: Huelett, Weideman, Smith. 

We are not badly off for back up - as strong as any in the AFL (at least in the Victorian clubs) and that I guess is why we are on top of the VFL Ladder. 

I like optimism but i cant agree with that. If we had depth as good as the top sides then naturally our best players would have to be as good which right now they are not. We have some depth which is a nice change from the none we have for the past decade but to say we is as strong as any is a bit too keen. Can garrantee there will be players at evey top 8 club playing in the 2s that would be able to get a game in our current senior team. Just a by-product of those teams having good players.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

I haven't seen a replay at all, but live it looked like a classic coathanger, which these days should cop 1-2 weeks. 

It was lower than that but he was held/blocked illegally. Absolute free kick ignored by the ump.

• Like 1

Just now, jnrmac said:

It was lower than that but he was held/blocked illegally. Absolute free kick ignored by the ump.

on the replay youll see Roos' reaction...he was not impressed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Demonised said:

I think we had the better of the umpiring. We got away with quite a few dodgy disposals, and a number of 50/50s went our way.

I disagree. I thought they had the better early we had the better later. Overall it was about even. The one to Cox in the last was a complete joke as was the missed free for BenKen when he was coathangered.

Just now, beelzebub said:

on the replay youll see Roos' reaction...he was not impressed.

neither were the commentators or the Melb crowd.

It was a very important fwd thrust in the 1st qtr when we were behind - this is how the umps can kill games.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

wtf was Tim Watson banging on about during the first goal, Hogan's intelligent tap on, so clever... He didn't tap anything on. 

ha ha he farked it up but then kept going hoping we wouldn't see it. The replay then showed that he just made a fool of himself...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I agree.

If theine's been one main thing about our crowds at the G this year, it's that (whether home or away), the first three levels of the MCC are near-full with vocal Melbourne supporters. 

We are sitting 8th for highest 'Home Game attendance' averages so far. Up 7 places from our 2015 average rank of 15th.

Of the Vic clubs we are presently ranked 5th. Last year we finished last. 

Since last year we are up 10,000 per home game and have leap frogged the following Vic clubs ...

Roos, Saints, Dogs, Cats and the Blues!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

We are sitting 8th for highest 'Home Game attendance' averages so far. Up 7 places from our 2015 average rank of 15th.

Since last year we are up 10,000 per home game and have leap frogged the following Vic clubs ...

Good pick up RN.

On that basis we have a good case for better fixturing: larger Home game opps, fan friendly time slots, more MCG games.  Maybe even a Fri night game.

All those things are big for attracting sponsors!

The argument against that better fixturing has been we don't have a large membership/enough wins.  That may be true but at least we consistently turn up to our games!!.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Using the home game attendance can be very inaccurate of true attendance by a cluibs supporters as it all depends on who you are playing against. We get home games against clubs that draw fewer people then clubs like the Pies, Tiges, and Dons get so their averages are higher purely because of who they are playing. 

Total attendances across all games is far more accurate as that anomaly is gone however you still get issues with venues etc, such as us getting 5K to the Alice game when we would have got 25+ at the G. In this we are around the middle of the table with an average or nearly 35k a game Collingwood in front with 50K then tiges on 42k, dons 40k, and then a steady decrease through lots of teams to Port in 13th, after which it drops of fairly dramatically. This is a pretty good result considering where we are at as a team and where we have been for a long time. The surprising one for mine is North, they are top of the ladder and averaging nearly 6,000 people less a game than we are in 14th overall!

Collingwood Magpies 12 606,533 50,544
 Richmond Tigers 12 515,439 42,953
 Essendon Bombers 12 487,484 40,624
 Adelaide Crows 12 468,596 39,050
 Carlton Blues 12 466,749 38,896
 Geelong Cats 12 459,862 38,322
 Hawthorn Hawks 12 455,056 37,921
 West Coast Eagles 12 432,520 36,043
 Melbourne Demons 12 413,052 34,421
 Western Bulldogs 12 402,794 33,566
 Sydney Swans 12 396,951 33,079
 St Kilda Saints 12 394,736 32,895
 Port Adelaide Power 12 393,862 32,822
 North Melbourne Kangaroos 12 336,840 28,070
 Fremantle Dockers 12 330,629 27,552
 Brisbane Lions 12 287,481 23,957
 GWS Giants 12 260,458 21,705
 Gold Coast Suns 12 223,272 18,606
 ALL 108 3,666,157 33,946

From footywire

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances

49 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

On that basis we have a good case for better fixturing: larger Home game opps, fan friendly time slots, more MCG games.  Maybe even a Fri night game.

All those things are big for attracting sponsors!

The argument against that better fixturing has been we don't have a large membership/enough wins.  That may be true but at least we consistently turn up to our games!!.

The trickle down (or in this case UP...to AFL headquarters) effects of starting to win more often should start to pay dividends if we can keep the momentum going LH. Onwards and upwards (albeit from a very low ebb!).

Agree on the membership numbers. Ratings will also play a big part in the fixture going forward obviously. Would love to see those numbers! (club v club)

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, willmoy said:

First time this season hardly noticed or recognise the umpiring. Must have been better than usual... 

Funny think is willmoy that often happens when you win well.

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Funny think is willmoy that often happens when you win well.

The umps were better than usual.

The bald guy made a few errors and they call play on to the extent that there is often no advantage to marking in general play.