Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts - Mr Durability

binman

I make very few threads - in fact in my time of posting I think I've only made two. I was waiting for a Jack Watts thread to pop up to post on it but it hasn't come. So here we are.

For those that might have forgotten or are new to Demonland Prodee and i (and Ron Burgundy for that matter) had a bet in the preseason. It was made in November last year and to quote from my post at the time:

'I'll wager he will play more than 10 games and if i lose will take a 2 month sabbatical form Demonland. If he plays more than 10 you change your avatar for two months to a pic of Wattsy of my choosing' 

ProDee accepted the bet and to his credit said if he lost he would keep his Jack Watts avatar for six months. He also said to Ron that:

'I'll change my avatar to Binman's choice for 6 months from the day he plays his 11th game (won't happen) and you can dictate my signature for the corresponding period.' 

Well Jack played his 11th (consecutive) game of this season today and had yet another decent game.

Why the title of the thread? Well whatever you think of Jack Watts one thing you can't criticise him for is his durability. Debuting in round 11 2009 jack has played 126 games of AFL as of round 11 2016. Leaving aside (asinine) arguments about whether some of these games have been gifted to him the fact remains he has been incredibly durable. 

Of course luck plays a part and perhaps the churlish might say his lack of competitiveness has helped him avoid injury but he clearly prepares himself well and works bloody hard. He gets very little, if any recognition or credit for this durability. 

Prodee's rationale for his wager was a totally reasonable one. His argument was that Roos had a put a premium on picking players who were competitive and he felt Watts would not measure up. However he got this wrong. Watts is one of the first picked. Not once has his selection been in any doubt. Not even here on DL where Wattsy's harshest critics lurk in red and blue camouflage. Watts has measured up on the competitiveness stakes. No question. If he hadn't Roos would have dropped him. So big tick there.

Prodee correctly predicted he would play permanently up forward. IIRC correctly he said that a pass mark for goals would be 35 -40 (I said 30-35). Again a reasonable suggestion. Well he is on target to surpass 40 goals averaging bang on 2 goals a game this season. So another big tick.

It remains to be seen how he will go in the  bluey (another Prodee measuring stick – and again not an unreasonable one) but I’m guessing he’d be top 10. So a half a tick there.

He is one of our fist picked and one of perhaps only 12 players who are a lock each week. So a tick there.

I would like to see him average 20 disposals a game and would love for him to play a real blinder, but he has been more than serviceable and has been a key factor in at least two of our wins. So a big tick there.

There was a thread suggesting he was our most important re-signing. Well that’s plain silly. Hogan is clearly our most important re-signing of those coming out of contract (though Gawn is our most important player I would argue). To suggest anything else is crazy. But as a point of reference about Wattsy’s form this this season the stats comparison to Hogan makes for interesting reading (and yes i know stats lie - i'm not suggesting he is as good as Hogan). Not much between them and I imagine Hogan just loves the service he gets from Watts. 

Player Statistics Comparison

Jack Watts

Name

Jesse Hogan

Melbourne Demons

Team

Melbourne Demons

Midfield, Forward

Position

Forward

Career Games

Sandringham Dragons

Origin

Claremont

March 26, 1991

Date of Birth

February 12, 1995

25yr 2mth

21yr 3mth

196cm

Height

195cm

92kg

Weight

101kg

2008 National Draft

Last Drafted In

2012 Mini Draft

Round 1, Pick #1

Last Draft Position

Round 1, Pick #2

Melbourne Demons

Last Drafted By

Melbourne Demons

Stats for Season

Games

Kicks Per Game

Handballs Per Game

Disposals Per Game

Marks Per Game

Goals Per Game

Behinds Per Game

Tackles Per Game

Hitouts Per Game

Inside 50s Per Game

Goal Assists Per Game

Frees For Per Game

Frees Against Per Game

Contested Possessions Per Game

Uncontested Possessions Per Game

Effective Disposals Per Game

82.2%

Effective Disposals % Per Game

65.8%

Clangers Per Game

Contested Marks Per Game

Marks Inside 50 Per Game

Clearances Per Game

Rebound 50s Per Game

One Percenters Per Game

Bounces Per Game

Time On Ground % Per Game

$393,000

AFL Fantasy Price

$448,000

AFL Fantasy Score Per Game

$402,500

Supercoach Price

$446,500

Supercoach Score Per Game

Edited by H_T
Capital D for Durability
  • Like 30

I have noticed the media and opposition fans have stopped bagging Wattsy which is a nice change.

I like many just wanted to see Jack succeed. It is great to see he is enjoying his footy and his 11 games so far have been solid.

• Like 3

Jack was instrumental in our first two goals today and kicked a couple, but he loses any impact when he plays ruck and if we continue to play Dawes instead of Pedo, we lose in two areas.  Dawes cannot mark and won't play ruck, Pedo can mark and seems to be ok with playing ruck.

Dawes had little effect on the game today and another marking target up front would have been invaluable. I've tried to refrain from criticising Dawes but his inability to take even the most simple mark today was the final straw for me. 

• Like 3

Jack's season has been phenomenal so far... The fact that he is having to pinch hit in the ruck is a blight on our ruck stocks (albeit a few injuries)... Jack is a smart user of the ball and blokes with football brains are worth their weight in gold!

Big QBD coming up for this young man... 

Edited by KrazyJay
  • Like 5

Excellent op Mr Bin.

Jack's preseason form has carried through.  There's well and truly enough evidence to conclude that he's turned the corner.  He competes far better than he ever has.  He's had the odd lapse, but in the main the effort has been great. 

He faded in the second half today, but had a crack in the wet and really impacted the game, which was another box ticked.  He's really progressed and must be enjoying his footy.  The scrutiny on him would have broken lesser individuals.  It's testament to his character that he's now well on the way to finishing his career at the Dees.  I'll admit that he'll never be perfect in my eyes, but he's reached a level that I'd stopped thinking he was capable of.  How good would it be if he could crack 50 goals for the year ?  That really would silence his many critics.  I hasten to add that 40 will do !

Well done Jack.  Keep going. 

My new avatar will be uploaded in the morning. 

• Like 47

He's been fantastic this year. A different player.

All credit to him, nobody has ever been under more pressure to perform than poor Watts.

He has been bashed for his entire career and rather than letting it break him, he let it make him.

If that doesn't make him a tough bastard, I don't know what does. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 7

Just now, jumbo returns said:

Oh yeah! Oh yeah!

Wattsy!

Goodonya ProDee! A poster true to his word.

I dropped in here to say the same.  Kudos to you, ProDee, for jumping in her and admitting defeat.  Well done.

And well done to Jack as well.  Has really turned his career around this year and become an important part of our side.

• Like 1

At the beginning of preseason 2016, I had him outside the Dees best 25 and didn't care if he got a name or not. Very happily eating large portions of humble pie. His hard work and gut running gets him to many more contests, and his kicking is sublime. Well done Jack.

• Like 2

After being a huge fan of Jack for a long time (have had the number 4 on my back since about 2012), at the end of last year even I had almost given up on him. Great to see him playing well, and while there will always be people who bag him at every opportunity, he has definitely become a vital cog in this up and coming team

11 hours ago, binman said:

10 hours ago, ProDee said:

Well played guys!!!!!

3 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

I dropped in here to say the same.  Kudos to you, ProDee, for jumping in her and admitting defeat.  Well done.

And well done to Jack as well.  Has really turned his career around this year and become an important part of our side.

I'd be surprised if JR's post wasn't laced with venomous sarcasm. And I understand why.  Either you or I have it seriously wrong.

The real test will be to see how long he retains the avatar beyond this time.

*Just kidding PD, still love ya buddy.

• Like 1

The one handed, contested mark he took on the wing yesterday (won't mention the poor decision after the mark) has just about wiped the Canberra goal square from my mind. 

Well done Jack and PD said a lot of other people who have been broken by the scrutiny he has had since day 1. He has absorbed it and thrived as a person, everyone who talks about him who knows him rates him as a really top quality individual and it is nice to see him prospering on field. 

Edited by Cards13
Toe thumbs typing errors.

Top marks to Jack and top marks to Prodee.

Hope that Pd continues to post with his usual volumes and we see the continued durability of player supporter and club

6 hours ago, deefender said:

Jack's got pace. I'd like to see him use this gift more.

And ProDee, you're a good sport .

I agree on both fronts.

I'd like to see jack back himself and take on players a bit more and as you say use his pace to advantage. he has shown a bit more preparedness to do so of late but geez i'd love to see him take on a defender, burn him off and have a shot for goal.

Perhaps this is a confidence thing (though Jack is  a team player) in so far as playing his whole career under constant scrutiny and fear of being lambasted (or as occurred for a period booed) might negate the natural instinct to take risks. Perhaps now that his spot seems assured and he is not being criticised all the time he might play with a bit more freedom.

Like PD i'd also like to see a bit more consistency from Jack, not so much week to week as i reckon he has played at a pretty consistent level this season - but within games. Whilst playing permanent forward ends itself to feast and famine (the ball being in the forward line depending as it does on the work of the midfield) he has gone missing at times in matches - a point he has made himself.

I'm also waiting to see a four quarter effort where he gets 20 plus touches, kicks multiple goals and is clearly best on ground. I reckon he'll have such a game before season's end. Dare i say it - a break out game. No i dare not. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

Good comment  binman about the booing/confidence.

I'd like to see a break-out game from Jack. He's capable of it.   (Remember the time chip Frawley used the after burners down the southern side of the "G". It was inspirational.)

Queens Birthday would be a good time for Jack to turn it on.

• Like 1

binman since November just waiting for 'Jacky Boy" to have played 10 games this year....or conversely ProDee waiting for Roosy to give JW the 'Lemon & Sarse"..:

tumblr_inline_nn8ehsVlva1ss66hw_500.gif

#fetalposition

Well played boys.

3 hours ago, deefender said:

Good comment  binman about the booing/confidence.

I'd like to see a break-out game from Jack. He's capable of it.   (Remember the time chip Frawley used the after burners down the southern side of the "G". It was inspirational.)

Queens Birthday would be a good time for Jack to turn it on.

Would have a deliciously ironic hint about it eh !!

• Like 1

On 5 June 2016 at 11:52 AM, Cards13 said:

Well done Jack and PD said a lot of other people who have been broken by the scrutiny he has had since day 1. He has absorbed it and thrived as a person, everyone who talks about him who knows him rates him as a really top quality individual and it is nice to see him prospering on field. 

Hear here.  A very important part of our march forward.  

He has been brilliant hasnt he, almost like a completely new player.  Competing hard, taking contested marks, kicking goals (on track for 40+).  Hope hes rewarded with a high Bluey finish.