Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

We're kidding ourselves!

rjay

11 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Agree. Ppl in the press talking about us building a premiership list is just laughable.

So many go missing when the heat is on. Our forward line shows nothing in these matches with the exception of Hulk who is, i'm afraid to say, a horrible kick for goal most of the time. I will say it again and again, unless he fixes that action he will never fulfill his true potential. Reminds me very much of Earl Spalding who could have been a super forward but for his horrible kicking accuracy or lack thereof. Only turned it around with the Blues late in his career which saw him play in the 95 premiership.

Watts/Kent/Jeffy (to a lessor degree) all ineffective both in attack and defensively (i50 pressure acts) today. A few reasonable tackles from Kent up the field but that was about it.

Garland beaten soundly, critical contests he falls over far too often (one time costing us a goal in the 3rd at a critical stage of the match). Bombs the ball far too often, misses targets far too often.

Tyson, i realise first up back from a week's leave but that was bloody horrid.

Bout the only run we saw was from Harmes/Wagner and some from Hunt. A bit from Tommy once moved to HB.

Very few moves other than Vince from HF to back in the 2nd half, a bit of Watts through the middle and Tommy off Dixon to HB helped a little. Generally outcoached. Why is Vince no longer playing a role through the middle for significant patches when the game's up for grabs? Carrying an injury or just protection for age factor?

Newton, ANB, Watts, Kent, Tyson and Garland should not get a game next week on those efforts. Kent not as bad as the former lot but his disposal/finish is crap.

Dawes for Watts, Frost (or any half decent tall for Garland pls), Trenners for Tyson and someone who can finish up forward for Kent. Maybe there isn't a replacement at this stage. ANB and Newton ughh.... again do we have anyone available? As much as i liked Newton's game last week he was awful.

Even Jones/Viney/Bugg were pretty average today.

I still think we erred playing an overcooked Maxy with no back up....eg., Dawes and/or Spencil. Their 2 tall book ends in Dixon and Westhoff smashed us with too much being expected of Big M (ie., trying to stretch them a little by having to push forward quite often). Big M did ok but he looks cooked IMO and we lose a crucial game ANYWAY without him getting the much needed rest that i believe was critical to us having a decent chance of him coming back in (well rested) and having a big impact in the coming weeks.

We are still a bottom 6 club i'm afraid.

The major missing factors for me are ...

- An (effective) tall forward as 2nd string to Hulk with the ability to relieve in the ruck (Dawes in the short term if he can stay fit) and take grabs i50 and push higher up the ground and take grabs also when the heat is on. I noticed Hulk was doing this late in the 4th. He can't be the "everywhere" man plus help kick a winning score for us. He isn't Roo and guys like him only come around once in a a few decades (or more).

- An effective tall CHB that makes Tommy the 2nd string key defender rather than the first and pushes Garland out...for good. Pedo in the short term? Someone else needed though as Pedo doesn't play tall unfortunately.

- A super classy inside/outside mid who can take a game apart/find space/share the ball around through the middle (could be Tracc but he is seasons away from doing so consistently unfortunately).

Personally it's going to be super hard to fill these gaps effectively given the leagues free agency crap. In addition this match hasn't helped our "keep Jessie" cause. A few more nonsense games like that and we will probably be looking for another key forward as well.

Wow just wrong on so many points here. Jones terrible? Dawes for Watts? We're trying to win a game of football here, Dawes belongs on a building site with his  cement hands.

Why is it that the teams we beat in the pre season have all beaten us by over 3o pionts.

We are young so get used to the inconsistancies.

36 minutes ago, Third Man Up said:

all but about 5 posters on here got way, way ahead of themselves. In fact this forum has less football knowledge than any supporter forum  going around. People get sucked in by media hype , yet if you call it out you are classed as being negative. the fact is we havent played a good game since richmond. two games of ordinary footy agains even more ordinary sides merely papered over the cracks shown up by st kilda.

i got called out for saying pies will beat us by 6 goals next week. those posters in question should be feeling pretty stupid right about now. learn to read football better or just stay off the forum. tired of reading fluff posts by people who too readily ignore whats being played out in reality because it feels better to get dragged along by media hype. its like a f*&king cult on here!

I think a lot of people on here have watched enough footy/been to enough games/been a member of the club for long enough to not buy into the media hype. Yes a few on here (myself included) get carried away at times but that's footy. Today's game was very winnable, maybe it was the players getting carried away and not the supporters this week. Look what happened to Geelong last week. We're better than what we showed today.

• Like 1

Turned it off in the first quarter. We were in front at that point - the wife told me I was mad (turns out i'm not) and a sook (probably true) but I could see immediately we were going to serve up a load of undisciplined rubbish. 

Will write this one off as per the game against the cheats I suppose.

Very frustrating, and in no way just because we "lost".

2 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I think a lot of people on here have watched enough footy/been to enough games/been a member of the club for long enough to not buy into the media hype. Yes a few on here (myself included) get carried away at times but that's footy. Today's game was very winnable, maybe it was the players getting carried away and not the supporters this week. Look what happened to Geelong last week. We're better than what we showed today.

nah, bombay your posts are on point. my issue is that if people maintain a more realistic appraisal, when good and not so good then this site wouldnt swing like a yoyo like it does

• Like 2

We could be better if we didnt bomb it from 45-75 out in hope. This happens even with a free kick or a mark. Kent Jones Tyson just dont even try, they bomb.

I cant remember when I saw someone hit up Watts or Hogan on a lead more than twice a game.

If Hogan is double tagged, he should be dragging 2 defenders to the "other side" opening up the fat side. Maybe he just hangs in close.

I dont know why other teams seem to be able to hit up forwards yet our entries are fraught with sh!t kicks.

• Like 2

Contrary to the OP, I think you're kidding yourself if you think that, after this game, all is lost.

Disappointing for a whole variety of reasons, sure, but we are very young and very inexperienced which contribute to fluctuations in form. Doesn't mean the list isn't good enough, just means we have plenty of work to do, and who didn't already think or know that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SaberFang said:

The wrist-slashing in here is hilarious. Youngest team in the comp, least experienced team in the comp. We are going to lose games that we should win, it's part of the development.

Harden up and move on!

The young excuse is going to become quite cumbersome over the next few years.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, The Stigga said:

You're right! 5th and 6th and 7th gamers should really know better against an inexperienced basketcase like Port Adelaide.

1 minute ago, The Stigga said:

Been good value for about a decade.  Tired of hearing it trotted out. Does not seem to affect the Bulldogs. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Wow. We got beaten by a team that needed to beat us and got the job done. We didn't play well and that was dissaponting. All of those things I can handle.

What I can't handle is the sooky, weak as [censored] attitude of supposed supporters taking shots at other supporters and players because we don't win every game with a team of 20 year olds.

We will be up and down. Sometimes that will be difficult to stomach - but are we moving in the right direction as a club and as a team? Yes! 

Sometimes I have to reset my browser to make sure I'm on a Melbourne Football Club supporters forum.

Go Dees!

There is no doubt we are improving but some of many of these supporters haven seen a premiership for 20....30....40.. and yes fifty years

IMo some of them deserve a medal for supporting the club at times

Yes there are a few cheap shots but on the whole we are a bloody loyal bunch who I think deserve better than what the team served up today.

Yes I said deserve because it is the supporters who pay the memberships, go to games and pay for cable tv subscriptions

Perhaps many supporters have a right to pay out on the club now and then. We are always happy to praise them when the win. 

Go dees

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forest Demon said:

I am as frustrated as anyone but that is possibly the dumbest post I have read on here.

He was one of our best today.

Disagree. Played a selfish and dumb game today. Ran around for too many of those easy handballs that Roos knocked him for early in Roos' time at the club. Too many of Jones' kicks were long, hopeful kicks to contests and too many supporters continue to rely on a player's stats to measure effectiveness. Viney was being hard-tagged, which freed up Jones, but he never used the ball in a damaging fashion, in fact he did his best to turn it over at times or take the wrong option. That point he kicked instead of putting it out in front of Hogan was a perfect example. 

• Like 1

In regards to the OP, if the 'we' is referring to Demonland, then yes, we do kid ourselves.  We over react to point of talking premiership glory after each win, and enter into a bizarre 'Jonestown' mentality when we lose.  We have the collective perspective of a todler; things are either fantastically awesome, or they're earth shatteringly horrible.

This is the same list, same coaching panel and same administration that has inspired so much hope and enthusiasm both inside and outside of the club this year.  There will be ups and downs, but we are heading indisputably in the right direction.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gOLLy said:

N.Jones needs a spell in the twos.

Not good enough

There were a lot far worse than N. Jones today if you are talking about demotion. Why would you demote the captain the moment things get tough?

21 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

In regards to the OP, if the 'we' is referring to Demonland, then yes, we do kid ourselves.  We over react to point of talking premiership glory after each win, and enter into a bizarre 'Jonestown' mentality when we lose.  We have the collective perspective of a todler; things are either fantastically awesome, or they're earth shatteringly horrible.

This is the same list, same coaching panel and same administration that has inspired so much hope and enthusiasm both inside and outside of the club this year.  There will be ups and downs, but we are heading indisputably in the right direction.

Agree to disagree, but he was also under heavy attention from Boak. And was a lot busier than our other mids.

Edited by Forest Demon

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Agree. Ppl in the press talking about us building a premiership list is just laughable.

So many go missing when the heat is on. Our forward line shows nothing in these matches with the exception of Hulk who is, i'm afraid to say, a horrible kick for goal most of the time. I will say it again and again, unless he fixes that action he will never fulfill his true potential. Reminds me very much of Earl Spalding who could have been a super forward but for his horrible kicking accuracy or lack thereof. Only turned it around with the Blues late in his career which saw him play in the 95 premiership.

Watts/Kent/Jeffy (to a lessor degree) all ineffective both in attack and defensively (i50 pressure acts) today. A few reasonable tackles from Kent up the field but that was about it.

Garland beaten soundly, critical contests he falls over far too often (one time costing us a goal in the 3rd at a critical stage of the match). Bombs the ball far too often, misses targets far too often.

Tyson, i realise first up back from a week's leave but that was bloody horrid.

Bout the only run we saw was from Harmes/Wagner and some from Hunt. A bit from Tommy once moved to HB.

Very few moves other than Vince from HF to back in the 2nd half, a bit of Watts through the middle and Tommy off Dixon to HB helped a little. Generally outcoached. Why is Vince no longer playing a role through the middle for significant patches when the game's up for grabs? Carrying an injury or just protection for age factor?

Newton, ANB, Watts, Kent, Tyson and Garland should not get a game next week on those efforts. Kent not as bad as the former lot but his disposal/finish is crap.

Dawes for Watts, Frost (or any half decent tall for Garland pls), Trenners for Tyson and someone who can finish up forward for Kent. Maybe there isn't a replacement at this stage. ANB and Newton ughh.... again do we have anyone available? As much as i liked Newton's game last week he was awful.

Even Jones/Viney/Bugg were pretty average today.

I still think we erred playing an overcooked Maxy with no back up....eg., Dawes and/or Spencil. Their 2 tall book ends in Dixon and Westhoff smashed us with too much being expected of Big M (ie., trying to stretch them a little by having to push forward quite often). Big M did ok but he looks cooked IMO and we lose a crucial game ANYWAY without him getting the much needed rest that i believe was critical to us having a decent chance of him coming back in (well rested) and having a big impact in the coming weeks.

We are still a bottom 6 club i'm afraid.

The major missing factors for me are ...

- An (effective) tall forward as 2nd string to Hulk with the ability to relieve in the ruck (Dawes in the short term if he can stay fit) and take grabs i50 and push higher up the ground and take grabs also when the heat is on. I noticed Hulk was doing this late in the 4th. He can't be the "everywhere" man plus help kick a winning score for us. He isn't Roo and guys like him only come around once in a a few decades (or more).

- An effective tall CHB that makes Tommy the 2nd string key defender rather than the first and pushes Garland out...for good. Pedo in the short term? Someone else needed though as Pedo doesn't play tall unfortunately.

- A super classy inside/outside mid who can take a game apart/find space/share the ball around through the middle (could be Tracc but he is seasons away from doing so consistently unfortunately).

Personally it's going to be super hard to fill these gaps effectively given the leagues free agency crap. In addition this match hasn't helped our "keep Jessie" cause. A few more nonsense games like that and we will probably be looking for another key forward as well.

Wow. You have issues.

1 hour ago, The Stigga said:

Yeah, because of old farts like Boyd, Morris and Adcock, who have far less of an influence on a game than their young brigade.

Stringer, Hunter, Libba, Wallis, Bont etc. put our young blokes to shame.

Sort of agree. We really don't have a bont in our midfield who can split games. We can match the others in 2 or 3 years but we don't have a match winner like him.