Jump to content

  •  
Sign in to follow this  
Dannyz

Glen Bartlett Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

It is, to me, no coincidence that the turn around in this football club has come since this man came on board as Pres. He isn't a strong media player and thus hasn't received the plaudits he is due. We are quick to acknowledge PJ's efforts, however, this man shouldn't be forgotten in providing strong leadership and solidarity for the MFC.

 

Long live the Pres. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.  He said when he was appointed that he wasn't going to be a president in the spotlight. Everyone thing appears to be running efficiently and harmoniously under his charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The board and those in charge of all areas have been doing a great job. Glad I'm not hearing from them in the media every few weeks like we use to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an interesting point you raise Dannyz. Who is the most important person running the show? A president or a CEO?

Usually i'd say a President, but imo PJ is clearly the most important figure off-field for this club.

 

I am very happy with both, the way things are running at the moment. A stable board, CEO & coach all seeing things eye to eye is something we have not had for a very long time.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Family friend of my fathers and he is a great negotiator, firm but fair. I said on here when we appointed him he would be great for us and provide us with solidarity off field. He's done just that and helped rebrand us too. He doesn't get talked up as much as PJ but he's doing a great job.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

It's an interesting point you raise Dannyz. Who is the most important person running the show? A president or a CEO?

Usually i'd say a President, but imo PJ is clearly the most important figure off-field for this club.

 

I am very happy with both, the way things are running at the moment. A stable board, CEO & coach all seeing things eye to eye is something we have not had for a very long time.

CEO is the most important by miles. They're there at the coalface every day, President's role is vastly overrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Agreed.  He said when he was appointed that he wasn't going to be a president in the spotlight. Everyone thing appears to be running efficiently and harmoniously under his charge.

unlike some other clubs whose prez's hog the limelight, and look how they are doing

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most important thing Glenn and the board can do is back PJ, Roos and Goodwin. Their support allows these three to do the really important stuff 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know hes doing a great job cos we never hear from him and there are zero rumblings of any turmoil at the club

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I said to a friend the other day that the best thing about Melbourne FC these days is that, apart from our president, I cannot name another director. This is a far cry from a few years ago, when I could name quite a few. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2016 at 9:31 PM, Petraccattack said:

I know hes doing a great job cos we never hear from him and there are zero rumblings of any turmoil at the club

 

 

On 5/12/2016 at 6:02 PM, Dannyz said:

It is, to me, no coincidence that the turn around in this football club has come since this man came on board as Pres. He isn't a strong media player and thus hasn't received the plaudits he is due. We are quick to acknowledge PJ's efforts, however, this man shouldn't be forgotten in providing strong leadership and solidarity for the MFC.

 

Long live the Pres. 

Two years later and the same rings true.

GB has been our President since mid 2013.     We never hear from him (a good thing) and the club continues to improve from top to bottom in every area.

Which beg the question how do you judge the performance of a club president?

 

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree 100% ?

It would not have been an easy task to get a club that was so broken up and running again so thank you GB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2016 at 7:07 PM, Mickey said:

The most important thing Glenn and the board can do is back PJ, Roos and Goodwin. Their support allows these three to do the really important stuff 

Spot on Mickey.

(speaking as a former CEO) the Board sets strategy then oversees the implementation by the CEO and his team - in simple terms - and holds them to account.

I love Bartlett because he allows the AFL's best CEO, PJ, to do his job. Bartlett isn't, nor should be in the media - unless its a full blown crisis - think Paul Little and the bombers drug scandal, the great J. Stynes (debt crisis),

. Again that's PJ and Goodwin, as the media is about talking to the members primarily.

Other AFL presidents you hear of publicly are in it for the ego rush - think McGuire and Kennett. It doesn't mean that poor in their role, but they love their heads on TV

I suspect Bartlett has a strong ego already and doesn't need validation.

Great team and the club is in good hands.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that Bartlett is probably an ideal person for the job as President.

He comes with a footy background having played at the highest level in WA. So he understands and knows footy and footy clubs. He would also understand how to manage the range of personalities that are part of any club. 

He comes with a professional background in industrial law/relations. You cannot be effective in this field unless you are firm but fair. You need to be able to understand the views of the other person or the other side, deal with confrontation, rebut absurd opinions, and to be able to reason and also compromise to ensure that agreement can be reached over key issues. Confrontation and total rejection of opposing points of view are rarely an effective "modus operandi", other than in exceptional circumstances. 

Most importantly, you need to be a good negotiator and be able to influence people, in particular, those with different views. You need to work in harmony with your Board or Committee. 

You need to balance both principles (the law or governing rules of a club) and practice.

I suspect that he and Jackson have a very clear view over their job roles and responsibilities, and are in full agreement so that both can do their job effectively. 

Importantly, unlike some other Presidents, Bartlett is not a person that hogs the limelight. This would suggest that his ego does not get in the way of his role within the club or with the AFL and external parties. 

An important, if not the most important role of the President, is to work with the Board or Committee. To oversee the Board and to assist in achieving common goals for the benefit of the club. A good President does this. A poor President tries to take over the role of the Board or will intervene inappropriately when it is not required. The latter will more often than not, exercise power and authority because ""He is the President." Clearly, Bartlett is not a President driven by his own self importance or ego. He is not a media person which is a big plus. In accordance with  his professional background, he works behind the scenes to achieve the best outcome for his client (in this case, the Club)  

Bartlett is a conciliator that attempts to influence the decision making process and only intervene when required. 

Usually a good President works in harmony with others. In particular, with his or her Chief Operating Officer. The effectiveness of both individuals is influenced by their working relationship and cooperation. One can only undertake his/her role effectively with the help of the other. Having an outstanding CEO such as Jackson must make life much easier for Bartlett, and, at the same time, Jackson's effectiveness has been enhanced by being allowed to undertake his role freely without intervention from Bartlett. 

If you think of the Norm Smith days, Norm was an effective coach whilst he had the support of the President and Board. The relationship between coach and Board or Committee was always difficult due to Norm's personality and his attitude of ""my way or the highway."" That was effective for a time due to the success of the Club, but could not be sustained

Having an effective President and CEO means there is less friction and disharmony at Board level.

In conclusion, I think the Club has been very fortunate to have Bartlett during this period of its history. To some extent, opinion will always be influenced by the fortunes of the team on the field. However, whether the Demons win a flag or not in the  next few years, Bartlett and Jackson have together helped to establish the foundations for future success. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had business dealings with him and found him to be fair and straight characteristics that serve one well in a governance role

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

⬆️⬆️

Great writing by Ernest in his inimitable way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have liked his work thus far.

I think because mostly he (and the board) have viewed the role as one of oversight and setting broad strategy and not one of conducting the day to day running of the joint.

He had one brain fart with that 'New York Yankees' nonsense but can't fault him for the most part. I assume moving out of the gaming industry was a board led initiative so kudos for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2016 at 6:09 PM, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Agreed.  He said when he was appointed that he wasn't going to be a president in the spotlight.

Everyone thing appears to be running efficiently and harmoniously under his charge.

 

On 5/12/2016 at 6:18 PM, Gorgoroth said:

The board and those in charge of all areas have been doing a great job.

Glad I'm not hearing from them in the media every few weeks like we use to.

off field admins presentations, are a bit too stuffy.

I'm glad the club is running without all that fluff, and stuffiness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

biggest test of his presidency coming up - the appointment of a new ceo

Hell just rubber stamp Jackson's selection i suspect. 

It's common in industry to hunt down and select the heir apparent BEFORE announcing you're stepping down.

Very surprised if someone not already chosen. Probably a case of waiting til they're available.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Hell just rubber stamp Jackson's selection i suspect. 

It's common in industry to hunt down and select the heir apparent BEFORE announcing you're stepping down.

Very surprised if someone not already chosen. Probably a case of waiting til they're available.

Very true, I would be staggered if the person had not already been chosen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2016 at 6:20 PM, Lord Travis said:

Family friend of my fathers and he is a great negotiator, firm but fair. I said on here when we appointed him he would be great for us and provide us with solidarity off field. He's done just that and helped rebrand us too. He doesn't get talked up as much as PJ but he's doing a great job.

I'll just quote myself from this time two years ago...

He's been a great appointment. He's firm but fair, stayed out of the spotlight, and has given us stability. Doesn't get many accolades, but he's done a great job and has been a key factor in turning our club around and seeing us up for sustained success. Kudos to Bartlett!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 3:19 AM, hemingway said:

Confrontation and total rejection of opposing points of view are rarely an effective "modus operandi", other than in exceptional circumstances. 

And on Demonland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×