Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 5

Demonland

20 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Loved Roos press conference last night and loved that they gave Hardwick, Roos left over gatorade. Garlett kicked four but gave way just as many with handballs into the goal square. Hardwick's acknowledgement of Gawn's first half was great to hear from an opposition coach.

Haha they don't "give them" gatorade that is a gatorade product placement but yeah poor Roosy struggled a bit though. Yeah agree gawny getting praise from everywhere (he'll love it more than most), Hardwick cops a lot but i actually think he is a pretty decent coach, I mean hell look at the list he has had the last 3 years, its been pretty ordinary outside their top 6 players but he found a way to lead them to finals. Knock him all you want but he must do something right

22 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Loved Roos press conference last night and loved that they gave Hardwick, Roos left over gatorade. Garlett kicked four but gave way just as many with handballs into the goal squareHardwick's acknowledgement of Gawn's first half was great to hear from an opposition coach.

He was a handful.  I counted 9 clear score involvements. 9/20 goals. Laughs and smiles like an auskicker after every goal.  Gotta love that enjoyment.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

On a different note .. Very poor by ch 7 not show the full pre game of the Anzac service .. They have apologised but opportunity lossed for people to pay their respects on tv who cannot attend game

Fair enough but it's not actually Anzac day.

Nonetheless I thought Ch 7 might pick up some easy ratings by showing the whole pre game hoopla instead of the news (which they could have put on earlier).

The Channel 7 coverage of the pre-game was really poor, even given the quick and inappropriate finger on the MKR ad-break button. The edited highlights package didn't portray the occasion at all well. Should have started the football coverage at 6.45.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Emerald said:

Just watching the replay,Bugg is a master of psychological warfare.

Stupid question here but what is it he is doing exactly?

I must miss a lot in a high energy game like that and don't see it. I hear about it on here but somehow miss it.

6 minutes ago, Melbman2 said:

Stupid question here but what is it he is doing exactly?

I must miss a lot in a high energy game like that and don't see it. I hear about it on here but somehow miss it.

He's just an annoying little **** who gets under everyone's skin and they want to snot him instead of hunting the pill.

Think Didak, think Milne, think Carr.

He's an irritiating little Bugg[er] and he's all ours!

• Like 7

The corner has been well and truly turned.

Not that any would mind but after the Bomber debacle  I decided I would keep low til we could play footyproperly, til we grew up a bit. Til we decided it was about real effort, the type that means getting things done first and swagger second. I thought to do my mood and sanity best by saying nothing more til we went back toback . ( some here can vouch for that )

Thank God . could have taken forever but our lads grew up a lot these past weeks. 

It's still a work in progress. Still very rough around edges at times but I think they finally get it.  Believe in the team, play as a team, bring your A gamemindset and just will yourselves to continue.

The tigers can be bullyboys at times. We own them now.

Viney.....brilliant. Your dad must be so proud.

Max...  and you're only going to get better . That 11 suits you well.

So many others. Loved Bugg"s  Shhh !!! :)

Wow....look who we still have to try and fit in to the team. 

Thank-you Melbourne. It's enjoyable to watch you now. 

Still I wonder how long media comment will remain upon how our opponents mucked up as the reason we win. 

We win because we're better as a team and best our losers. It's about US.

We are far from 'there' yet, but we know where it is and are picking up speed heading to it..

The Nth game redefined us. 

Well done Melbourne, go Dees.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Deespicable said:

Kent - I reckon he was on his way to a lengthy stint in the VFL at halftime of the North game and even though he got out of jail, tonight was his most unselfish game he's played for us - and his best.

Let's say he had gone back to the VFL ... now we can see that even good form in the VFL is no guarantee to crack back into the seniors.

No player wants to be the one who drops down and can't get back in. (Col Garland??)

The club is in a great place.

9 hours ago, Rafiki said:

I still think the booing of Goodes wasn't racially motivated, no one this year has been booed because of their skin colour. Very happy to listen to other opinions about this though

Well here's an opinion then: Just because other indigenous players haven't been booed does not mean that the booing of Goodes wasn't partially motivated by racism.  It took a combination of how Goodes was viewed as a player by some, his race and his involvement in indigenous issues that led to the booing.  If it was not for the latter he would not have been consistently booed.  

Show me another player who is disliked for his footy style who has been so consistently booed by so many for his playing 'sins' - and don't include a player who has changed teams (is just booed by his original team's supporters only) or has just thumped an oppo player (ditto).  No other player gets booed because he has a different view of some social issue than me or you.   Sure some of the people booing were innocent of racism but a lot were not.  Some Australians just wish the indigenous issue would just go away, just as many of our ancestors wished the indigenous people would just go away.  And they react badly.

Back on topic - has anyone mentioned Pedersen did about 3 really good tap-ons in the last quarter?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

The Channel 7 coverage of the pre-game was really poor, even given the quick and inappropriate finger on the MKR ad-break button. The edited highlights package didn't portray the occasion at all well. Should have started the football coverage at 6.45.

I'm not sure what others thought but the pre-game poem by Rupert Bacall was ignored by many in the crowd, who continued talking between themselves and generally not paying attention. I found it hard to hear the poem.

At least that's what happened at ground level in the MCC. I think the announcer contributed to it by not announcing the poem starting very prominently.

28 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

And they offered an apology later.( still farfrom Excuses ) 

I think next year's broadcast might embrace the occasion more suitably..

1 hour ago, pinkshark said:

Holy Moly, an error! The kid has lost it.  

Well done mate, hilarious contribution that really adds to the discussion.

Oh God, what a sensation. I'm supporting an actual football club that plays AFL quality football. Good fast entertaining high scoring football. GO DEMONS!

60,000 at the game, prime time TV and putting on a show for the football world to admire. GO DEMONS!

Is Dom is good.
Hogan: no standout but did the heavy lifting and created goals from being a focal point. Also reads the play well when down back.
Brayshaw: off night. Just couldn't get his mitts on it cleanly.
Everyone's going off over Max's rucking but his work when the ball is on the ground is deft and skilful as well.

It's been coming for a few weeks but Bugg has tipped us over the line. We are now an unsociable footy team. Bustards to play against. Just what Neeld always wanted (if anyone can remember him).

To think, Oliver, Tracc, Trenners(?) somehow have to fit into this combination. Matt Jones and a few former regulars are now very handy depth.

To the nervous nellies, naysayers and those who seem to get their rocks off from failure and mistakes ... get positive and get on board. The ride has only just begun.

Next up: Saints (check), Etihad (check)

• Like 5

I have often read Demonland and enjoyed the views and comments especially after games, but not felt much incliniation to contribute myself.  I went to the game last night and feel something really significant has changed with the way the team play together.  Over previous years it was clear the last 5 blokes picked were struggling to have an impact, they were not really part of the team.  They would come up from Casey, try their best but struggle to get involved in the play - either they didnt't know where to run to, or be ignored.

It is not like that now.   Guys like Pedo, Frost, Harmes and Hunt seem to know exactly how to slot in, and are trusted by their teamates.  This is what the good teams do.  Richmond supporters are no doubt thinking 'who were those guys?'.  Exciting times to be a demon supporter.

• Like 11

Lumumba did NOT run too far in that great run around Reiwoldt early in the first. Ump stuffed that badly (would never be called against any other power club!!). Great Job H

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

I love it when the 'G is lit up like this. Fortress Melbourne:

image.jpeg

Great shot Grape. Had to work so that's really special to see. Thx mate

Wow, what a win.  I love this club.

Lots of posters have covered all the great things really well in this thread, so I don't want to re-hash it too much.  One person I did want to make special mention of though was Lumumba.  He was rightly knocked for his efforts last year, but now that he is fit he is really bringing some terrific dash and experience to the backline.  He has seemingly curbed his willingness to just bomb away and he is hitting targets all over the ground.  I'm sure he will still get caught once or twice, but a few times last night (such as the time he was wrongly called for running too far) his run and carry was sublime.

What a way to wake up in the morning too.  We now support a proper football club and we can see a bright future.  Bring it on!

• Like 9

A great win, yes Richmond were sloppy and so were we at times, but we also played some damn fine football that was entertaining to watch.  Rance deserves a 3-4 for that cowardly hit, Watts head was on the ground or close so likely to have resulted in a heavier impact,   I guess we will see what the tribunal says, giving him 1 just says that sort of cowardly behavior is ok, some players may think of trying it a 1 match penalty may not be that big a deal to take out the oppositions best player, i.e. ablett, or viney, etc..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Diamond said:

Someone needs to take Hogan aside and tell him to do a more normal run up to a set shot kick for goal than his current chicken run. He's young enough to change. When I've seen him do a proper run up like most other forwards he is accurate. I know that West coast have another chicken- runner but it's rare that this is successful and Hogan has plenty of years ahead of him to learn.

Yes well I said this same thing last year. In fact it will be the only thing that will prevent him achieving Champion status. Surely someone in the coaching dept can straighten this flaw out! LOOKS UGLY IS UGLY and fails to produce confidence when I se the ball in his hands with this set shot fiasco!

22 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Did anyone see Jones and Riewoldt have a few interesting words at the end when the siren sounded? Jones was pointing somewhere to the ground and was pretty vocal.

Must have been telling Riewoldt to pick up his bottom lip from the ground.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2