Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Collingwood v Essendon ANZAC Day: Why we should care

Mach5

ANZAC Day is traditionally Collingwood v Essendon, and this year we have 2 very poor teams facing off, leading to questions of whether they deserve to keep the rights to the match.

Why should we care?

Well, I think we should care simply because it's a slippery slope and if you let other clubs have access to this "sacred" match, then Queens Birthday becomes open slather also.

Yes, good teams should be rewarded in theory, blah blah blah.

If we are honestly altruistic and care about the game first and foremost, then the answer is simple: award the slot to 2 deserving teams, like the previous year's grand finalists.

But I am always strongly guided by self-interest, and the self-interest of my football club.

And for the future strength of the MFC, I think it is vital that we retain the lucrative QBD match on our schedule.

Supporting Essendon & Collingwood's claim to ANZAC Day, I think, can only assist that.

One day however, I think we will eventually be forced to let go.

Until that day we should hang on like grim death.

That's my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Just be thankful we have B.Gale and PJ reinforcing the ANZAC Eve blockbuster, alternating home game status each year, plus the QB blockbuster.

Happy with our 2 Blockbusters. That's two more than the likes of StKilda, Nth Melb, Western Bulldogs.

• Like 12

I do however wonder how much QBD has hamstrung us in the past on fixture requests with the AFL.

"No, sorry Schwabby, you can't have more than two Saturday games a season, we already gave you QBD... yeah, that's right, same thing with playing home games at Etihad against GWS... you have got to learn to compromise..."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

One day however, I think we will eventually be forced to let go.

Why? I don't think Collingwood and Essendon would be feeling that.

You make a good point though, that if blockbusters are moved around we will lose ours in time. We have two as has ben pointed out ... that's at least something. We just need to start packing those games out.

45 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

Why? I don't think Collingwood and Essendon would be feeling that.

I just think we will be forced to relinquish exclusive rights one day eventually.

The discussion comes up every year and things will change.

But I also think we need to prolong our grasp on the match as much as we can, and make hay while the sun shines.

41 minutes ago, H_T said:

Just be thankful we have B.Gale and PJ reinforcing the ANZAC Eve blockbuster, alternating home game status each year, plus the QB blockbuster.

Happy with our 2 Blockbusters. That's two more than the likes of StKilda, Nth Melb, Western Bulldogs.

I think our ANZAC eve game has already stolen it's fair share of thunder from the day game. The pre game ceremony last year was fantastic in an almost spine-tingling sort of way.

Its only an assumption, but I reckon our night game would more likely get more viewers on television.

• Like 1

Just now, McQueen said:

I think our ANZAC eve game has already stolen it's fair share of thunder from the day game. The pre game ceremony last year was fantastic in an almost spine-tingling sort of way.

Its only an assumption, but I reckon our night game would more likely get more viewers on television.

I think Sunday night will be moving reading the story on the club website: -

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-04-22/a-story-that-needs-to-be-told

This has the capacity to build into something really significant on the football landscape.

It's not being questioned because the teams are not performing well - it is being questioned because a club of drug cheats is playing. they lied, cheated, put young men's lives and their livelihoods in danger and are still not remorseful!

Not exactly what ANZAC day should stand for!

• Like 3

I've never been a big fan of the ANZAC day match. Equating sports and war never sat well for me, feels like it devalues the service of those who died.

I mean, have the minutes silence and everything as it should be, but the marketing and billing around it just doesn't feel right. The game day feels like a marketing opportunity more than a day of honouring sacrifice.

The fact that Essendon play it, given their recent scandals, makes it even worse.

The footy pageantry undermines the significance of the day.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I don't have the attendance numbers from last year but I have this feeling that the gap in numbers between the Sunday night attendance and the Anzac Day crowd this year will not be substantial.

Our game was 58,175 (I seem to recall 50,000 was going to be the 'pass mark'?), 14th biggest H/A crowd. Ess v Coll was 88,395, biggest. (QB was 66,120, 8th) I hope the gap is less, but that will have to be by us drawing more, I suspect (a lot on the line on Monday, and I reckon the Ess hoards will be smelling the sash-coloured substance!) So get along everyone; it really is something to be part of. The backdrop of nighttime and chill, enhanced by the lights being turned off (hope they can get more of the lighting in behind the stands off this year!) provides more than the day game can, for the solemnity of the cauldron and the reflections that the proceedings draw. Less of the marketing and more of the honour, I felt.

I don't have a huge problem with Ess & Coll doing Anzac day. They (Sheedy really) were the ones to think of glamming it up and making it an event.

I do not like the double standards that go with it. Not necessarily from those clubs, but the AFL.

If those clubs can have a permanent lock on Anzac day, why shouldn't North get a lock on or at least a favourable draw for multiple Friday night games? They were the ones who thought of making it an event.

"We thought of it. P!ss off and think up your own marquee games" say those two clubs (EFC & CFC). And not unreasonably.

I'm glad that instead of whingeing, MFC did go out to develop new marquee games. We had this idea to have a regular battle of the capital cities. Melb v Sydney. I think we might have played one of them. (It didn't help that we were a bad side.)

And what happens? Eddie says to Vlad/Gil, "why are you letting those hopeless minnows play in a marquee game? Make it a REAL marquee game, Sydney versus, oh I don't know ... some big drawing Vic club ... if we could only think of one ..." And the AFL says "hey yeah! Great idea Eddie!"

Next thing you know Coll play Sydney in an annual marquee night game. Thanks for all your support, AFL.

Hawks went to Tassie, other clubs flirted with Ballarat, Bendigo, other places ... instead of whingeing, MFC went to China to try to develop support there. Visionary.

And what happens? Kochie says to Gil, "we've had this idea. Have you ever thought about China? We're going to go to China boots and all and own that market!" And Gil says, "great idea Kochie! We'll get the PM on board and really make a thing of it! We like this new idea so much, we'll force some minnow club to play a home game there!" Thanks for all your support, AFL.

The Anzac day EFC v CFC in perpetuity is a message to clubs that if you think up your marquee games, the AFL will support you.

Why then do they send mixed messages by not backing up other clubs budding marquee games? Why play favourites?

Having said that, we have done well to devise the Anzac eve match (well done to Gale & Richmond and MFC in the face of opposition from Ed), we have the women's pink cancer game which gets good press coverage, and we get QB (although that is treated as charity by the AFL and CFC ... let's toss the poor mangy dog a bone out of the goodness of our hearts). Also we have been prominent with the upcoming womens league which looks like drawing good support.

We're positioned pretty well with marquee games for a club of our size. (Oh for China and the battle of the capital cities!)

May this year's Anzac day match be the worst in memory. Four goals to 3 played in miserable conditions with the ground half empty by 3/4 time.

• Like 1

p.s. Loved Pendlebury's claim that his team should treat the game like a final.

Something about "treat" and "like" and "THEIR" and "(grand) final", and "shoe" and "other foot"....

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I don't have the attendance numbers from last year but I have this feeling that the gap in numbers between the Sunday night attendance and the Anzac Day crowd this year will not be substantial.

WJ, crowd was 58,175 last year. I'd expect a slightly better turnout based on (i) this year Anzac day is a public holiday where as it wasn't last year (ii) it was a real spectacle last year which I think should draw a few more in (my Richmond supporting brother in law and his kids included) and (iii) the weather was crap last year; although (iv) Richmond's poor form may keep some at home watching on the telly. I'd reckon low 60K's and a happy ride home on the train. 

People have short memories.  It wasn't THAT long ago that the ANZAC Day clash was between Melbourne and Collingwood.

Just very pleased we now have both the Queen's Birthday clash against the old enemy AND the ANZAC Eve clash.  (Albeit, thanks to our stupid Gov't here in Qld, who have now consigned Queen's B'day holiday in this State to October, I'm gonna have to take the arvo off work to watch the game!)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Deecisive said:

I would prefer if this was a scoreless draw with at least 12 players from each side reported for rough contact.

Has a familiar ring to it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Agree the AFL will be looking very closely at the attendance on sunday and will weight heavily on what they do next year

If attendance is down it wont be the Melbourne supporters. You can blame Richmond supporters and their microwaves.

It's in the AFL's best interests to attract big crowds to as many matches as possible.

Richmond and Carlton play opening round so they won't play ANZAC round.

Hawthorn aren't massive crowd drawers relative to their success. Richmond V Melbourne might get only 5-10k less if Hawthorn were playing Richmond, and that's if Melbourne aren't going well: we're a similar or bigger drawer than Hawthorn when doing well. 

North, Bulldogs, Saints can't get the crowd to the MCG.

Melbourne V Richmond on ANZAC is here to stay. It's very important that at least one of the teams is doing well so that at least 50k show up. But it's here forever.

Pies v Dons should stay. It's tradition now and established. I think Melbourne is more deserving than Collingwoof when you look at the war history, both the Pies and Dons have gone to great lengths over two decades to embed this game in footy culture.

Hopefully Melb v Richmond on ANZAC Eve can act as a curtain raiser blockbuster to ANZAC Day for years to come (yes I know "curtain raiser blockbuster" is an oxymoron).

Edited by praha

41 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

If attendance is down it wont be the Melbourne supporters. You can blame Richmond supporters and their microwaves.

btw what is the correct microwave settings to melt a membership card so i can tell my feral neighbour on sunday?

i'm guessing 1100 watts for 30 secs should do it

8 hours ago, Mach5 said:

ANZAC Day is traditionally Collingwood v Essendon, and this year we have 2 very poor teams facing off, leading to questions of whether they deserve to keep the rights to the match.

I thought it was more that people are taking issue with essendon being involved because of their doping regime. Couldn't care less about form, they're usually good games regardless of ladder position. I doubt many will question either teams involvement or right to play in it after this year.

• Like 2