Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2016 Rio Olympics

MadAsHell

14 hours ago, daisycutter said:

i don't understand this comment, macca. what is an "olympic athlete"? some olympic attendees don't even get selected until weeks before the olympics. olympic athletes come from many different sports and each sport (as the video showed) have their own testing regime. Are you saying professional olympic basketballers, golfers, tennis players, soccer players get tested 30-40 blood tests (or any other tests) per year? Of course many professional sports bodies pay only lip service to drug testing and administration, but you just can't group all olympic athletes together and say the get adequate testing

I did say or mean "up to" 30 - 40 blood tests ... the "up to" bit means that any given Olympic athlete may not be tested that many times.  I mistakenly left off the word "to" in the "up to" phrase though - a typo. 

Anyway, it was a general comment pertaining to a large majority of the Olympic athletes ... of course there are a number of Olympic athletes who hardly ever get tested for PED's.  However, I'd say at a guess that a large majority of Olympic athletes and would-be Olympic athletes are tested regularly in a rigorous fashion.  Usually in those sports that aren't golf, soccer, tennis or basketball or the like.  But of course those professional sports that are also conducted at the Olympics often have negligible testing standards for PED's of their own. 

The testing for PED's in a number of professional sports is negligible.  For instance, The NBA & NHL have very poor testing procedures & standards.  With soccer, it's virtually non existent.  But the average person wouldn't know that because of various reasons (often because they don't care)  Most people probably believe that soccer is a clean sport based on the fact that hardly any of the thousands of soccer players ever test positive to PED's ... my radar goes up instead.  My cynicism runs deep.

The NFL had about 40 players rubbed out for using PED's in the 2014/15 season - and the NFL's testing standards are not great either.  Baseball's records are now completely skewed because of the steroid era.  The AFL aren't serious either - one urine test per player per year on average.  The Essendon saga blew up in their own faces because Essendon were so brazen about it - and of course the AFL then did their upmost to get them off.  

The thrust of my argument still stands ... PED use across any number of sports is often rampant.  And by rampant I mean probably about 2-5% of athletes across most sports are using PED's (on average)  That in turn means that around about or over 95% of athletes (across the board) are probably clean.  Not every athlete is a cheat - in any sport.  And not every athlete is clean either.  The lack of transparency means we have to take educated guesses.  That previous link involving Mr Pound tends to back up those numbers.

But the above is an opinion - the numbers can't be exact.  If you or others have a different opinion that's fine by me.  No one knows what the exact numbers are and we'll never know what the true numbers are either. 

My argument centres on broadening the argument with regards to PED use ... you seemingly view things in a different way - otherwise we wouldn't be arguing the point.  Where as I've mainly wanted to broaden the argument away from the Olympics (which is my right) you are well and truly zeroing in on the Olympics (which is your right)  However,  I have always acknowledged that the Olympics does have a major issue with regards to PED use ... but why stop at the Olympics? 

We''re going around in circles so it's probably best to agree to disagree.  I'm glad that you have expressed your view because that has allowed me to express my full view on the matter.

Edited by Macca

1 minute ago, Macca said:

I did say or mean "up to" 30 - 40 blood tests ... the "up to" bit means that any given Olympic athlete may not be tested that many times.  I mistakenly left off the word "to" in the "up to" phrase though - a typo. 

Anyway, it was a general comment pertaining to a large majority of the Olympic athletes ... of course there are a number of Olympic athletes who hardly ever get tested for PED's.  However, I'd say at a guess that a large majority of Olympic athletes and would-be Olympic athletes are tested regularly in a rigorous fashion.  Usually in those sports that aren't golf, soccer, tennis or basketball or the like.  But of course those professional sports that are also conducted at the Olympics often have negligible testing standards for PED's of their own. 

The testing for PED's in a number of professional sports is negligible.  For instance, The NBA & NHL have very poor testing procedures & standards.  With soccer, it's virtually non existent.  But the average person wouldn't know that because of various reasons (often because they don't care)  Most people probably believe that soccer is a clean sport based on the fact that hardly any of the thousands of soccer players ever test positive to PED's ... my radar goes up instead.  My cynicism runs deep.

The NFL had about 40 players rubbed out for using PED's in the 2014/15 season - and the NFL's testing standards are not great either.  Baseball's records are now completely skewed because of the steroid era.  The AFL aren't serious either - one urine test per player per year on average.  The Essendon saga blew up in their own faces because Essendon were so brazen about it - and of course the AFL then did their upmost to get them off.  

The thrust of my argument still stands ... PED use across any number of sports is often rampant.  And by rampant I mean probably about 2-5% of athletes across most sports are using PED's (on average)  That in turn means that around about or over 95% of athletes (across the board) are probably clean.  Not every athlete is a cheat - in any sport.  And not every athlete is clean either.  The lack of transparency means we have to take educated guesses.  That previous link involving Mr Pound tends to back up those numbers.

But the above is an opinion - the numbers can't be exact.  If you or others have a different opinion that's fine by me.  No one knows what the exact numbers are and we'll never know what the true numbers are either. 

My argument centres on broadening the argument with regards to PED use ... you seemingly view things in a different way - otherwise we wouldn't be arguing the point.  Where as I've mainly wanted to broaden the argument away from the Olympics (which is my right) you are well and truly zeroing in on the Olympics (which is your right)  However,  I have always acknowledged that the Olympics does have a major issue with regards to PED use ... but why stop at the Olympics? 

We''re going around in circles so it's probably best to agree to disagree.  I'm glad that you have a different view because that allows me to express my full view - which I reckon I've done. 

I'm also happy for you to have the final argument.

we are not necessarily disagreeing, macca. we both agree too many sports don't do adequate testing and pay lip service. I just don't have your confidence that "olympic sports" (excluding the likes of soccer, b'ball, tennis, golf etc) have adequate testing. maybe a few but not many, and the big flaw is that the testing is done by their own sports body and not independently by someone like wada (as was pointed out in 4 corners)

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

we are not necessarily disagreeing, macca. we both agree too many sports don't do adequate testing and pay lip service. I just don't have your confidence that "olympic sports" (excluding the likes of soccer, b'ball, tennis, golf etc) have adequate testing. maybe a few but not many, and the big flaw is that the testing is done by their own sports body and not independently by someone like wada (as was pointed out in 4 corners)

Fair enough dc ... I'm happy to agree with regards to the overall inadequate testing re the Olympics.  Whole countries have a history of thumbing their noses at the rules of fair play.  But many other sports do very very little in comparison. 

The pessimist in me reckons the problem is only going to get far worse too.  WADA are ridiculously underfunded and have zero chance of fixing things.  I refuse to blame WADA.  There hasn't been any rich benefactors coming to the rescue of clean sport and that is not likely to occur in the future.

Because of the money at stake,  drug cheats will be allowed to continue cheating.  The numbers will increase but we probably won't be able to see those numbers increasing.  The "hidden" cheating per se.  I like what cycling is doing with the blood passports but 'peptides' are hard to detect.  And there's probably any number of new-age drugs that can't be detected.

Though I'm dismayed by it all I've made a decision to continue to watch any sport (that I like watching) because I don't believe that the large majority of athletes across all sports do cheat.  So Jack Viney,  Aaron Rodgers,  Dimitri Payet,  Emily Seebohm,  Anna Meares,  Usman Khawaja and thousands of others all get the benefit of the doubt.  Even Ronaldo :ph34r:

Team events and other notable events and medal events scheduled ... all times and dates to be verified and all the times are AEST.  Most of the sports highlighted have Australian representation but not all of course. The schedule obviously doesn't include everything so keep an eye out for the team event Q/F's, S/F's & Finals.

Channel 7 are also doing a highlights type show/package from 7pm - 9pm every night ('In Rio Today')  As well as that, ch7 are devoting 7two & 7mate to the Olympics coverage as well.  Ch7 have also got an 'app' that shows a lot of live events and highlights.

Here's the daily schedule from NBC.com ... although the site is US based, the website does convert the event times to AEST and is easy to read.

Chronological summary, results & scheduling of each day of the 2016 Rio Olympics (Wiki) (click on any day for the schedule or results)

* * *  Denotes gold medal event

Thursday August 4th (morning)

4.00am  Women's Soccer ................. Matildas vs Canada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------                        

Saturday August 6th (morning)                    

9.00am  Special events .................... The Opening Ceremony

Saturday August 6th (evening)

9.30pm   Rowing ............................... Heats

10.30pm  Men's Road Cycling .......... Men's Road Race final   * * *          

Sunday August 7th (morning)

1.00am  Beach Volleyball (W) ........... Australia (Clancy & Bawden) vs Costa Rica

2.00am  Swimming ............................ Heats                         

2.30am  Men's Hockey ...................... Kookaburras vs New Zealand

2.30am  Women's Rugby 7's  ............ Pearls vs Colombia

3.15am  Men's Basketball .................. Boomers vs France

6.30am  Women's Basketball .......... Opals vs Brazil

7.00am  Women's Soccer .................. Matildas vs Germany

7.30am  Women's Rugby 7's ............. Pearls vs Fiji

9.30am  Women's Hockey ............... Hockeyroos vs Great Britain

9.50am  Men's Waterpolo .................. Sharks vs Brazil

11.00am Swimming Finals ................. Men's 400 IM final (11.03am)  * * *  

Men's 400M freestyle final (11.30am)  * * *

Women's 400m IM final (11.49am)  * * *

Women's 4 x 100 freestyle relay final (12.24pm)  * * *

1.00pm  Beach Volleyball (W) ............ Australia (Laird & Artacho del Solar) vs USA

Sunday August 7th (evening)

9.30pm    Rowing ............................... Repechages

10.45am  Gymnastics ........................ Qualification

11.00pm  Equestrian .......................... Eventing individual & team dressage

11.55pm  Boxing ................................ Preliminary bouts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday August 8th (morning)

1.30am   Women's Road Cycling ..... Women's Road Race final   * * *

2.00am   Swimming .......................... Heats    

2.30am   Women's Rugby 7's ........... Pearls vs USA

6.30am   Women's Basketball ........ Opals vs Turkey

9.30am   Men's Hockey .................... Kookaburras vs Spain

11.00am  Swimming Finals................ Women's 100m butterfly final (11.03am) * * *

Men's 100m breaststroke final (11.53am) * * *

Women's 400m freestyle final (12.01pm) * * *

Men's 4 x 100 freestle relay final (12.52pm) * * *

Monday August 8th (evening)

9.30pm  Rowing ................................ Heats, Repechages & Semi finals

11.00pm Beach Volleyball (W) .......... Australia (Laird & Artacho del Solar) vs Switzerland

11.00pm Equestrian .......................... Eventing individual & team cross country

11.00pm Women's Hockey ............. Hockeyroos vs USA

11.55pm Boxing ................................ Preliminary bouts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday August 9th (morning)

3.15am   Men's Basketball ............... Boomers vs Serbia

3.30am   Women's Rugby 7's  ....... Pearls vs Canada (S/F)

5.00am    Diving ............................... Men's synchronised 10m platform final  * * *

5.00am    Gymnastics ...................... Men's team final * * *

7.30am    Women's Rugby 7's ....... Bronze medal match  * * *

8.00am    Women's Rugby 7's ....... Gold medal match * * *

9.50am     Men's Waterpolo .............. Sharks vs Hungary                      

11.00am   Swimming Finals............... Men's 200m freestyle final (11.21am)   * * *

Women's 100m backstroke final (11.30am) * * *

Men's 100m backstroke final (11.38am) * * *

Women's 100m breaststroke final (11.54am)   * * *

12.00pm  Beach Volleyball (W) ....... Australia (Clancy & Bawden) vs Venezuela           

Tuesday August 9th (evening)

9.30pm   Rowing .............................. Quarter finals & Semi finals

11.00pm  Equestrian ........................ Eventing Individual jumping final * * *

Eventing Team jumping final * * *

11.55pm  Men's Rugby 7's ............... Thunderbolts vs France

11.55pm   Boxing .............................. Preliminary bouts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday August 10th (morning)

1.15am   Women's Basketball ........ Opals vs France

2.00am   Swimming ........................... Heats

2.00am   Women's Waterpolo ............ Stingers vs Russia  

5.00am    Diving ................................. Women's synchronised 10m platform final  * * *

5.00am   Gymnastics ......................... Women's team final * * *

5.00am   Women's Soccer ................. Matildas vs Zimbabwe

5.00am   Men's Rugby 7's ................. Thunderbolts vs Spain

9.30am   Men's Hockey ..................... Kookaburras vs Belgium

11.00am Swimming Finals

Women's 200m freestyle final - Emma McKeon, Bronte Barratt (11.19am) * * *

Men's 200m butterfly final (11.28am) * * *

Women's 200 IM final - Alicia Coutts (12.29pm) * * *

Men's 4 x 200 freestyle relay final - Australia - TBC (12.38pm) * * *               

Wednesday August 10th (evening)

9.30pm    Rowing ............................... Abandoned due to bad weather

9.30pm    Women's Road Cycling ...... Women's time trial final * * *

10.00pm  Men's Waterpolo ................ Sharks vs Japan

11.00pm   Beach Volleyball (W) ......... Australia (Clancy & Bawden) vs Netherlands

11.55pm  Women's Hockey ..............Hockeyroos vs India

11.55pm   Men's Road Cycling ........... Men's time trial final * * *

11.55pm   Boxing ................................ Preliminary bouts

Thursday August 11th (morning)

12.30am  Men's Rugby 7's ................. Thunderbolts vs South Africa

2.00am    Beach Volleyball (W) .......... Australia (Laird & Artacho del Solar) vs China

2.00am    Swimming ........................... Heats

5.00am    Diving ................................. Men's synchronised 3m springboard final  * * *

5.00am    Gymnastics ........................ Men's all-around final * * *

8.00am    Men's Basketball ................ Boomers vs USA

9.30am    Men's Hockey .................... Kookaburras vs Great Britain

11.00am   Swimming ......................... Men's 200m breaststroke final (11.03am) * * *

Women's 200m butterfly final (11.54am) * * *

Men's 100m freestyle final (12.03pm) * * *

Women's 4 x 200m freestyle relay final (12.55pm) * * *            

Thursday August 11th (evening)

9.30pm    Rowing ............................... All events below to be confirmed

Repechages & semi finals 

Men's quadruple sculls final - Australia (11.22pm) * * *

Women's quadruple sculls final - TBC (11.34pm) * * *

Semi finals

Men's coxless pair final (10.52pm) * * *

Women's double sculls final (11.04pm) * * *

Men's double sculls final (11.24pm) * * *

Men's lightweight coxless four final (11.44pm) * * *

11.20pm  Women's Waterpolo ........... Stingers vs Italy

11.55pm  Boxing ................................. Preliminary bouts

Friday August 12th (morning)

1.30pm Canoe/Kayak ..................... Men's canoe double slalom S/F & Final * * *

Women's kayak single slalom S/F & Final * * *

2.00am  Swimming ........................... Heats

5.00am  Gymnastics ......................... Women's all-around final * * *

5.00am  Cycling (track) ..................... Qualifying Men's & Women's team pursuit

Men's team sprint finals (7.21am) * * *

6.30am  Men's Rugby 7's ................. Men's medal matches & placings (5th - 8th)  * * *

6.45am  Women's Basketball ......... Opals vs Japan

7.00am  Women's Hockey .............. Hockeyroos vs Argentina

11.00am Swimming .......................... Women's 200m breaststroke final (11.17am) * * *

Men's 200m backstroke final (11.26am) * * *

Men's 200m IM final (12.01pm) * * *

Women's 100m freestyle final (12.18pm) * * *  

Friday August 12th (evening)

9.30pm    Rowing .............................. Women's lightweight double sculls final (10.52pm) * * *

Men's lightweight double sculls final (11.04pm) * * *

Women's coxless four final (11.24pm) * * *

Men's coxless four final (11.44pm) * * *

10.30pm  Track & Field ..................... Heats, qualifying & preliminaries

Women's 10,000m: final (12.10am) * * *

11.55pm   Boxing .............................. Preliminary bouts

Saturday August 13th (morning)

2.00am  Women's Soccer ................. Matildas vs Brazil (quarter final)

2.00am   Swimming ........................... Heats

3.15am   Men's Basketball ................. Boomers vs China

3.30am   Track & Field ....................... Men's 20km race walking final * * *

5.00am   Cycling (track) ..................... Women's team sprint finals (7.00am) * * *

Men's team pursuit finals (7.34am) * * *

9.00am   Track & Field ....................... Heats, qualifying & prelinaries

Women's shot put: final (11.00am) * * *

9.30am    Men's Hockey .................... Kookaburras vs Brazil

11.10am  Men's Waterpolo ................ Sharks vs Serbia

11.00am   Swimming ......................... Women's 200m backstroke final (11.03am) * * *

Men's 100m butterfly final (11.12am) * * *

Women's 800m freestyle final (11.20am) * * *

Men's 50m freestyle final (11.44am)  * * *                   

Saturday August 13th (evening)

9.30pm     Rowing .............................. Men's single sculls final (11.32pm) * * *

Women's single sculls final (11.44pm) * * *

Women's coxed eights final (12.04am) * * *

Men's coxed eights final (12.24am) * * *

10.30pm  Track & Field ...................... Heats, qualifying & preliminaries

Men's discus final (11.50pm) * * *

11.00pm  Cycling (track) .................... Qualifying & repechages

11.55pm   Boxing ............................... Preliminary bouts

Sunday August 14th (morning)

12.40am Women's Waterpolo ........... Stingers vs Brazil

1.15am   Women's Basketball ........ Opals vs Belarus

5.00am   Cycling (track) ..................... Women's team pursuit finals (6.07am) * * *

Womens keiren finals (6.33am) * * *  

9.30pm   Tennis .................................. Women's singles gold medal match  * * *

8.30am   Women's Hockey .............. Hockeyroos vs Japan

9.00am   Track & Field ....................... Men's long jump: final (9.50am) * * *

Men's 10,000m: final (10.25am) * * *

Women's 100m: final (11.35am) * * *       

Women's heptathlon 800m final discipline (11.53am) * * *

11.00am  Swimming ........................... Women's 50m freestyle final (11.03am) * * *

Men's 1500m freestyle final (11.11am) * * *

Women's 4 x 100m medley relay final (11.49am) * * *

Men's 4 x 100m medley relay final (12.04pm) * * *  

Sunday August 14th (evening)

10.30pm  Track & Field * * * ............ Women's marathon final - Milly Clark

Jessica Trengove,

Lisa Jane Weightman

11.55pm   Boxing ............................... Preliminary bouts

Men's light flyweight gold medal match  * * *

Monday August 15th (morning)

1.50am    Men's Waterpolo ................ Sharks vs Greece

2.00am    Sailing (final races) ............ Men's RS:X  * * *

Women's Laser RS:X * * *

3.00am    Gymnastics finals................ Men's floor * * *

Women's vault * * *

Men's pommel horse * * *

Women's uneven bars * * *

5.00pm   Tennis .................................. Men's singles gold medal match  * * *

5.00am    Diving .................................. Women's 3m springboard final - Esther Qin, Maddison Keeney * * *

5.00am    Cycling (track) ..................... Men's sprint finals (6.04am) * * *

7.00am    Men's Hockey ..................... Kookaburras vs Netherlands (quarter final) 

8.00am    Men's Basketball ................. Boomers vs Venezuela

9.00am    Track & Field ....................... Women's triple jump: final (9.55am) * * *

Men's 400m: final (11.00am) * * *

Men's 100m: final (11.25am) * * *

1.00pm  Beach Volleyball (W) ............ Australia (Clancy & Bawden) vs USA

Monday August 15th (evening)

10.00pm  Swimming ........................... Women's open water 10k final * * *

Women's hammer: final (11.40pm) * * *    

Women's 3000m steeplechase (12.15am) * * *

11.00pm   Women's Hockey ............ Hockeyroos vs New Zealand (quarter final)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday August 16th (morning)

2.00am  Sailing (final races) ............... Men's Laser * * *

Women's Laser Radial * * *

3.00am  Gymnastics finals................... Men's rings * * *

Women's balance beam * * *

Men's vault * * *                                                                

4.30am  Women's Waterpolo ............. Stingers vs Hungary (quarter final) 

5.00am  Cycling (track) ...................... Men's omnium points race (final race) (6.23am) * * *

6.00am  Boxing .................................. Preliminary bouts, Q/F's & S/F's 

Men's heavyweight gold medal match * * *

9.00am  Track & Field ........................ Men's pole vault: final (9.35am) * * *

Mens 800m: final (11.25am) * * *

Women's 400m: final (11.45am) * * *

Tuesday August 16th (evening)

10.00pm  Swimming .......................... Men's open water 10k final * * *

10.00pm  Canoe/Kayak (finals) ....... Men's canoe single 1000m * * *

Women's kayak double 500m * * *

Women's kayak single 200m * * *

Men's kayak single 1000m * * *

Men's triple jump: final (10.50pm) * * *

Women's discus: final (12.20am) * * *

11.00pm  Cycling (track) .................... Qualifying & repechages

11.55pm   Boxing ............................... Q/F's & S/F's 

11.55pm   Women's Basketball ...... Opals vs Serbia (quarter final)    

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday August 17th (morning)

2.00am    Sailing (final races) ............ Men's finn * * *

Men's mixed nacra 17 * * *

3.00am    Gymnastics finals................ Men's parallel bars * * *

Women's floor * * *

Men's high bar * * *

5.00am    Cycling (track) .................... Women's omnium points race final race (6.23am) * * *

Women's sprint finals (6.44am) * * *

Men's keiren finals (7.20am) * * *

5.00am   Diving .................................. Men's 3m springboard final  * * *

6.00am   Boxing ................................. Q/F's & S/F's 

Men's lightweight gold medal match * * *

9.00am  Track & Field ........................ Men's high jump: final (9.30am) * * *

Women's 1500m: final (11.30am) * * *

Men's 110m hurdles: final (11.45am) * * * 

Wednesday August 17th (evening)

Men's 3000m steeplechase final (12.50am) * * *

11.00pm  Equestrian .......................... Jumping team finals * * *

11.55pm   Men's Basketball ................ Boomers vs ? (quarter final)

Thursday August 18th (morning)

2.00am    Sailing (final races) ............. Men's 470 * * *

Women's 470 * * *

3.00am   Boxing .................................. Q/F's & S/F's 

Men's welterweight gold medal match * * *

9.20am    Track & Field ....................... Women's long jump: final (10.15am) * * *

Women's 200m: final (11.30am) * * *

Women's 100m hurdles: final (11.55am) * * *

1.00pm    Beach Volleyball (W) ........... Women's gold medal match * * *

Thursday August 18th (evening)

10.00pm  Canoe/Kayak (finals) ........ Men's canoe double 1000m sprint * * *

Men's canoe sprint 200m sprint * * *

Men's kayak double 200m sprint * * *

Women's kayak single 500m sprint * * *

10.30pm  Track & Field ....................... Heats, qualifying & preliminaries

Men's 400m hurdles: final (1.00am) * * *

11.55pm  Triathlon .............................. Men's final * * *

Friday August 19th (morning)

2.00am   Sailing (final races) .............. Men's 49er * * *

Women's 49erFX * * *

Men's light heavyweight gold medal match * * *

5.00am   Diving ................................... Women's 10m platform final  * * *

6.00am   Men's Hockey ....................... Men's gold medal match * * *

7.35am   Track & Field ........................ Men's shot put: final (9.30am) * * *

Women's javelin: final (10.10am) * * *

Men's decathlon 1500m: final discipline (10.45am) * * *

Women's 400m hurdles: final (11.15am) * * *

Men's 200m: final (11.30am) * * *

1.00pm    Beach Volleyball (M) ........... Men's gold medal match * * *

Friday August 19th (evening)

7.35pm   Track & Field ........................ Men's 50km race walk final * * *

11.00pm  Equestrian ........................... Individual Jumping finals * * *

Saturday August 20th (morning)

Women's lightweight gold medal match * * *

3.30am   Track & Field ........................ Women's 20km race walking final * * *

4.00am  Women's BMX ...................... Women's individual final * * *

4.10am   Men's BMX ........................... Men's individual final * * *

4.30am   Women's Waterpolo ............. Women's gold medal match * * *

6.00am   Women's Hockey ................. Women's gold medal match * * *

6.30am   Women's Soccer .................. Women's gold medal match * * *

9.10am   Track & Field ........................ Women's pole vault: final (9,30am) * * *

Men's hammer throw: final (10.05am) * * *

Women's 5000m: final (10.30am) * * *

Women's 4 x 100m: final (11.15am) * * *

Men's 4 x 100m: final (11.35am)  * * *

Saturday August 20th (evening)

10.00pm  Canoe/Kayak (finals) .......... Men's kayak single 200m sprint * * *

Men's canoe double 1000m sprint * * *

Women's kayak four 500m sprint * * *

Men's kayak four 500m sprint * * *

11.55pm  Triathlon ................................. Women's final * * *

Sunday August 21st (morning)

3.00am   Boxing .................................... Women's flyweight gold medal match * * *

Men's bantamweight gold medal match * * *

Men's middleweight gold medal match * * *

4.30am  Women's Basketball ........ .... Women's gold medal match  * * *

5.30am   Diving ..................................... Men's 10m platform final  * * *

6.30am   Men's Soccer ......................... Men's gold medal match * * *

6.50am  Men's Waterpolo ..................... Men's gold medal match * * *

9.10am   Track & Field .......................... Women's high jump: final (9.30am) * * *

Men's javelin: final (9.55am) * * *

Men's 1500m: final (10.00am) * * *

Women's 800m: final (10.15am) * * *

Men's 5000m: final (10.30am) * * *

Womens 4 x 400m relay: final (11.00am) * * *

Men's 4 x 400m relay: final (11.35am) * * *

11.15am   Women's Volleyball .............. Women's gold medal match * * *

Sunday August 21st (evening)

10.30pm   Track & Field ........................ Men's marathon final * * *

Monday August 21st (morning)

12.30am   Men's Basketball ................. Boomers vs Spain (Bronze medal match)

2.15am     Men's Volleyball ................... Men's gold medal match (Italy vs Brazil) * * *

3.00am     Boxing .................................. Women's middleweight gold medal match * * *

Men's flyweight gold medal match * * *

Men's light welterweight medal match * * *

Men's super heavyweight gold medal match * * *

4.45am   Men's Basketball .................... Men's gold medal match (USA vs Serbia) * * *

9.00am   Special event .......................... The Closing Ceremony

• The Swimming finals will be held in the late evening in Rio (10pm start local time) which will mean they'll be shown from about 11am AEST.  The swimming finals are held during the first week.
  • The large majority of the Track & Field finals will be held in the evening (8pm) in Rio (about 9am AEST) with about another 10 finals held in the morning (marathons, walks etc)  The track & field events are held during the 2nd week.
  • The Rowing finals will be shown from 8.30am local time (9.30pm AEST) beginning from the first Wednesday of the games (August 10)
  • The Track Cycling finals will be held from 4pm local time (5am AEST) beginning from the first first Friday of the games (August 12)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

One sport where we will win less medals is the Sailing. In London we won the 470 men's, 49er men's, laser men's, and had a silver in the ladies match racing.

The 470 men's should still win, they are still the top crew in the world.

The 49er men's crew have been busy doing America's Cup duty and the NZ crew have lost one regatta since London, which was last week to the Aussie crew. We should medal but may not be gold.

The men's Laser is a great unknown, Tom Slingsby (who won gold in London) is now on the US America's Cup team (which is basically Australian, including the skipper) and he isnt going to Rio. We have a chance to medal and who knows. 

The ladies match racing is no longer an event even though it was bar far the best event to watch, even for non sailors. 

I would be very surprised if we got a medal in any of the other events. Unfortunately I don't think our sailing team will be our most successful team this time around

• Like 2

Herald Sun has published what it believe to be our top 10 gold medal hopes.

Bit of a break down see's 4 in the pool, 2 in cycling (1BMX), 2 in Canoe/Kayak, 1 in Rowing, 1 in Sailing plus the Mens Hockey team (wouldn't rule out our women either personally).

The author of the article obviously has trouble counting as I think they've counted Em Seebohm & Mitch Larkin as the same person.  Here's the article below,

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/olympics-2016/anna-meares-cameron-mcevoy-and-the-campbell-sisters-included-in-australias-top-medal-hopes-for-rio/news-story/3208ab54222afc23ca4e6c2958402e21

• Like 1

And further to your earlier schedule posts macca it serms the opening ceremony starts at 8pm local time on Friday August 5. With the time difference that should be 9am Saturday morning.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Summer_Olympics_opening_ceremony

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

And further to your earlier schedule posts macca it serms the opening ceremony starts at 8pm local time on Friday August 5. With the time difference that should be 9am Saturday morning.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Summer_Olympics_opening_ceremony

Ideal timing isn't it?  Cable (foxtel) aren't partnering ch7 this time around so I hope ch7 utilise all their channels (7mate, 7two etc) 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

I know this news is now a month old, but it's something i've only just picked up on; http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/anna-flanagan-overlooked-for-olympic-selection-by-hockeyroos-20160704-gpxu3l.html

Amazing decision, and i mean that in a bad way, not to select Anna Flanagan! She's the type of player that could be the difference between gold & silver, bronze & 4th etc.

Plus the fact she was great to watch out on the field! :wub: Now no Flanagan and no Hollywood. I might be forced to watch the Hockey team purely for their ability and miss out on the added bonus!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bartleby said:

Sadly it wouldn't surprise me one bit if large parts of that article come to fruition.

Edit: below

I also note that in about nine hours the Australian campaign at the Olympics kicks off when the matildas take on canada!

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Sadly it wouldn't surprise me one bit if large parts of that article come to fruition.

I also note that in about nine hours the Australian campaign at the Olympics kicks of when the matildas take on canada!

Thanks for the reminder TD ... I'd completely forgotten.  The game is on 7mate and coverage starts at 1.50am.  Fairly sure the Matildas/Canada game is on at 4am though. 

Let the games begin (early) 

• Like 1

I'll post the Saturday/Sunday events up now but will probably bump it up again on Saturday.  It looks like channel 7 are devoting all 4 of their channels to the Olympics (apart from when the footy or news coverage intervenes)  So there's a good chance we'll be able to see a number of the team events involving Australia in their entirety.  All times are AEST.

Thursday August 4th (morning)

4.00am  Women's Soccer ......... Matildas vs Canada

9.00am  Special event .............. The Opening Ceremony

9.30pm   Rowing ....................... Heats

10.30pm Men's Road Cycling ... Men's Road Race

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.00am  Swimming ................... Heats

2.30am  Men's Hockey ............. Kookaburras vs New Zealand

2.30am  Women's Rugby 7's  ... Pearls vs Colombia

3.15am  Men's Basketball ........ Boomers vs France

6.30am  Women's Basketball ... Opals vs Brazil

7.00am  Women's Soccer ........ Matildas vs Germany

7.30am  Women's Rugby 7's ... Pearls vs Fiji

9.30am  Women's Hockey ....... Hockeyroos vs Great Britain

9.50am  Men's Waterpolo ........ Sharks vs Brazil

11.00am Swimming Finals ....... Men's 400 IM final

Women's 400 IM final 

Men's 400M freestyle final

Women's 4 x 100 freestyle relay final

9.30pm  Rowing ...................... Repechages

• The Swimming finals will be held in the late evening in Rio (10pm start local time) which will mean they'll be shown from about 11am AEST.  The swimming finals are held during the first week.
  • The large majority of the Track & Field finals will be held in the evening (8pm) in Rio (about 9am AEST) with about another 10 finals held in the morning (marathons, walks etc)  The track & field events are being held during the 2nd week.
  • The Rowing finals will be shown from 8.30am local time (9.30pm AEST) beginning from the first Wednesday of the games (August 10)
  • The Track Cycling finals will be held from 4pm local time (5am AEST) beginning from the first first Friday of the games (August 12)

Daily schedule from NBC.com ... although the site is US based, the website does convert the event times to AEST and is easy to read.  All the events are listed in chronological order.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Now 12 minutes in and they've settled somewhat, i must say i have some concerns for the matildas considering they're suppose to be number 5 in the World and Canada number 10.

Canadians seem to be playing with a lot more cohesion and skill then the Matildas. Still early though to be fair.

And 9 min later we've had all the play and Canada have now had a player red carded. Still down 0-1 however.

Edited by AngryAtCasey

I had written a brief report on the match, however once i hit submit, my device went off line and i lost the whole thing. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So in short all i'll say is Matildas lost 2-0 against a 10 woman Canada and stunk it up! 

I may do it again later in the day on my lunch break. 

Edit: Below

Ok, so lets hope that the Matildas haven't set the tone for the rest of the Olympic team after their performance early this morning.

After a horrible error by two defenders, one through a tentative pass and the other through not going to meet a ball that was clearly short, the Matildas opened the door for the Canadians to seize the initiative with an easy goal 19 seconds in.

From about the 8 minute mark to the 35 minute mark the Matildas found themselves with multiple opportunities to draw level as they completely controlled the play, even before Canada lost a player through a red card.  However despite the Matildas dominance in weight of possession, they were unable to draw level, mainly due to what appeared to be their lack of touch and skill as compared to Canada, who although they had the ball less, looked an awful lot cleaner with the ball then the Australians.

The 2nd half kicked off mainly in the same fashion as the 1st finished, with the Matildas having the weight of possession, however not generating as many opportunities as they had in the 25 minute period part way through the first half.  

The walls came crashing down for the Matildas however from the 70 minute mark, when in their search for an equalizer, the coach took off a defender and brought an extra striker on.  Bad idea!  The Matildas then seemed to completely loose their structure and with that any opportunities to score.  On the flip side, despite being a player down, Canada then started to dominate possession, create opportunities which they hadn't had up till then and also double their lead.

Pretty much a disaster for the Matildas, as this was a match they were very much expected to win.  Now unless they can pull off some sort of boil over against the Germans when that match comes around I think their medal chances are as good as dead.

Sad to say, but this match was determined 20 seconds in and with it likely the Matildas medal prospects.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 1

Channel 7 are devoting all 4 of their channels to the Olympics (apart from when the footy or news coverage intervenes)  Therefore there's a good chance we'll be able to see a number of the team events involving Australia (often in their entirety)  All times are AEST ...    

9.00am  Special event .................. The Opening Ceremony

9.30pm   Rowing ........................... Heats

10.30pm Men's Road Cycling ....... Men's Road Race

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.00am  Beach Volleyball (W) ...... Australia vs Costa Rica

2.00am  Swimming ....................... Heats

2.30am  Men's Hockey ................. Kookaburras vs New Zealand

2.30am  Women's Rugby 7's  ....... Pearls vs Colombia

3.15am  Men's Basketball ............. Boomers vs France

6.30am  Women's Basketball ........ Opals vs Brazil

7.00am  Women's Soccer .............. Matildas vs Germany

7.30am  Women's Rugby 7's .......... Pearls vs Fiji

9.30am  Women's Hockey .............. Hockeyroos vs Great Britain

9.50am  Men's Waterpolo ............... Sharks vs Brazil

11.00am Swimming Finals .............. Men's 400 IM final

Women's 400 IM final 

9.30pm  Rowing ............................... Repechages

1.30am   Women's Road Cycling ..... Women's Road Race  

6.30am   Women's Basketball .......... Opals vs Turkey

11.00am Swimming Finals................. Women's 100m butterfly final

Men's 100m breaststroke final

Women's 400m freestyle final

Men's 4 x 100 freestle relay final

• The large majority of the Track & Field finals will be held in the evening (8pm) in Rio (about 9am AEST) with about another 10 finals held in the morning (marathons, walks etc)  The track & field events are being held during the 2nd week.

Daily schedule from NBC.com ... although the site is US based, the website does convert the event times to AEST and is easy to read.  All the events are listed in chronological order.

Channel 7 are also doing a highlights type show/package from 7pm - 9pm every night ('In Rio Today')

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Thanks a million Macca

Have been looking for a decent schedule for days.

I found the Google schedule and thought I was okay only to find out just in time it was displaying US East Coast times (not Rio time).

This will be a godsend......... thanks again

Trust me 'D'  ... there is an ulterior motive :ph34r:

This thread can be a one-stop shop for myself as well!  The only issue is adding the odd (as yet) uncheduled event involving the Aussies.  Those events will probably be quite obvious though - Q/F's,  S/F's., Finals etc. 

Same for the other sports involving individuals - if people here want to post up future events involving the Aussies or other important events, I'm happy to add those events to the schedule.  I've just about completed the whole schedule (post #29) but should have it done soon enough. 

Posting up links to recent results and the medal tallies is something that can be done too.  Wiki might be the easiest solution in that regard.

I still haven't figured out how to watch the games though D ... sleep & work is going to be an issue.  At least the family are on board - not quite at my levels though!

Edited by Macca

Hi

I am watching in Malaysia. The local cable is Astro and has around 6 channels. The oddity is that although it is an Asian feed the commentators this morning were our old favourite "Peter Donergan" and a lady and gent from the UK and South Africa.

What's more they cut to an ad while the Malaysian team entered :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I might bump up the schedule in the evening as well as the morning seeing all it requires now is a copy & paste (with a few minor adjustments) 

Channel 7 are devoting all 4 of their channels to the Olympics (apart from when the footy or news coverage intervenes)  Therefore there's a good chance we'll be able to see a number of the team events involving Australia (often in their entirety)  All times are AEST ... 

9.30pm   Rowing ............................ Heats

10.30pm Men's Road Cycling ........ Men's Road Race

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.00am  Beach Volleyball (W) ........ Australia vs Costa Rica

2.00am  Swimming ......................... Heats

2.30am  Men's Hockey ................... Kookaburras vs New Zealand

2.30am  Women's Rugby 7's  ......... Pearls vs Colombia

3.15am  Men's Basketball ............... Boomers vs France

6.30am  Women's Basketball .......... Opals vs Brazil

7.00am  Women's Soccer ............... Matildas vs Germany

7.30am  Women's Rugby 7's ........... Pearls vs Fiji

9.30am  Women's Hockey .............. Hockeyroos vs Great Britain

9.50am  Men's Waterpolo ............... Sharks vs Brazil

11.00am Swimming Finals .............. Men's 400 IM final

Women's 400 IM final 

9.30pm  Rowing ............................... Repechages

1.30am   Women's Road Cycling ..... Women's Road Race  

6.30am   Women's Basketball .......... Opals vs Turkey

11.00am Swimming Finals................. Women's 100m butterfly final

Men's 100m breaststroke final

Women's 400m freestyle final

Men's 4 x 100 freestle relay final

Channel 7 are also doing a highlights type show/package from 7pm - 9pm every night ('In Rio Today')

Edited by Macca

Been an epic day.

After a day of commitments, it was off to watch Casey smash Essendon and then watch the replay of Melbourne v Hawthorn as i couldn't watch it live.

Watching the beach volleyball at the moment, and so far so good for the Australian girls, but still early.

Here's to a long night!

Aussie girls Bawden & Clancy take the first set in the Beach Volley ball.

Speaking of i don't know where channel 7 have dug up this commentator from? Surely they could have got Cook or Pottarst to do it?

Straight sets win 21-15, 21-14. Ideal start to their campaign.

Have to say Clancy looks a very talented beach volleyballer.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 1