Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Richmond

Wiseblood

3 minutes ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Ok. So...Brayshaw is best 22, and shouldn't be an unlucky soul. There are others who should/could be replaced before him and, to continue using your more polite terminology, it wouldn't stand as an improvement to the side if he was replaced, as his regular involvement in a lot of our goals on Sunday depict. 

For it not to stand as an improvement, you infer that Brayshaw is more important to the side than Vince or Garlett. Vince, on present form, adds more to the side than Brayshaw, ergo, improvement. That doesn't mean Brayshaw adds nothing, just less than Vince.

There might be an alternative that adds more even still without removing Brayshaw, though I haven't yet seen you put it forward (apologies if you have).

54 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Think that was Jeff Garlett. Big $$$ AFL goes to all the trouble of mandated pressers and still can't spring for some decent mics. Interview = dialogue.

What the hell is that ? A business as big as the AFL and at a press conference you can only hear the coaches answers  - not the question. Seriously amateur hour.

• Like 6

Just now, nutbean said:

What the hell is that ? A business as big as the AFL and at a press conference you can only hear the coaches answers  - not the question. Seriously amateur hour.

Do i remember them editing the pressers in post so we could hear questions a few years back? Im not sure why they stoped doing it. 

18 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Out: Oliver - looked tired but really no other reason, even tired he got himself involved in a few nice passages just the man coming up that costs him

Where is this "looked tired" stuff coming from 'Arti' he looked full of running in the last Q to me.

...an important cog in the team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rjay said:

Oliver "looked tired" v EFC then played a blinder against North...

I would like to see him beat up on the Tiges.

Agree 100% rjay.  Subject to him maintaining his form and fitness, I reckon Clarry will be formally 'rested' twice during the season (one at the bye in late June when everyone will need a freshen-up), and another in late July / early August to avoid any possible burn-out.  I'd also expect him to be given a rest if he gets a bit of a niggle, where a more seasoned player might push through.  IMO, the rest of his season will be managed through a combination of time on ground and time in the guts.

7 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Frost doesn't play like a tall in the forward-line.  He's a rubbish mark and I suspect the reason he and Pedersen both played was because Frost took over the Garlett role.

If Garlett is right to go I do believe Frost will make way.

Were you at the game yesterday? If so I cannot believe you didn't notice the work and options Frost gives us and the insurance if a big goes off or down. I admit he's still very much a work in progress but that was clearly his best game so far for us and you want him dropped.

The selectors will have a tough time. Clearly Vince is in and Garlett will be as well if he passes his fitness test. Terlich has no chance despite his great game in twos - Hunt did well enough on debut and Salem ain't going anywhere. Grimes and Neal-Bullen again showed they deserve a chance and Billy did nothing wrong as 23rd player but all of them will have to wait for a loss or injury to get a gig.

But there are two players in the magoos whom Roosy will consider. One is Petracca who dominated the first term when Roosy was there and the other is Garland, who was handy and would be a straight swap for Dunny if they decide to go down that path.

As to outs, the one player who is not AFL top-tier level is Matt Jones - how many goals has he kicked or created so far this year? In which of his 60-odd games has he gained 400m plus metres as the lively running wingman he's meant to be? Vince comes in for him. 

The other one, and he'd be very unlucky, is Oliver, but he is a kid and does need to work on his run and carry - not just his freakish clearance ability.

The Richmond night game would be a good stage for Petracca to make his debut, but if Garlett is fit, then CP5 may have to wait another week. The only other solution for both to play is to drop Dunn, who clearly is not working hard enough, despite his obvious kicking prowess. If that were to happen, and Garland did not come in, then we'd have to send Pedo back to play on Vickery. I think Wagner can cope with McBean and Lumumba could keep Lloyd in check I suspect.

So for Thursday night's 25-man teams I'd just add Vince, Garlett and Petracca and then on Friday discreetly omit Oliver, Dunn and Matt Jones and have them as emergencies.

1 hour ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Those who are wanting Brayshaw dropped are foolish. Watch the highlight of all our goals, he is involved with a lot of the passages of play which led to goals. He is still building his tank due to an interrupted pre-season, but his polish is too valuable to our side. If he is fit and not concussed he must play. 

Exactly. I watched the highlights package today and was surprised at how often Brayshaw was involved.

9 minutes ago, Nasher said:

For it not to stand as an improvement, you infer that Brayshaw is more important to the side than Vince or Garlett. Vince, on present form, adds more to the side than Brayshaw, ergo, improvement. That doesn't mean Brayshaw adds nothing, just less than Vince.

There might be an alternative that adds more even still without removing Brayshaw, though I haven't yet seen you put it forward (apologies if you have).

i agree with you, he isn't more important than them--not yet anyways, some day he potentially will be.

This is the toughest week i can remember for our selectors, which isn't obviously a bad thing. For me, the outs would be:

In: Garlett (if fit, fingers crossed), Vince 

Out: Hunt (just bad luck), Oliver (rested)

Bugg is safe for me, he does a lot that doesn't get credited (tackles) and we need his "rough and tumble" approach for Richmond, i also assume he may run alongside Cotchin/Martin if required. Richmond are quite small now too due to their injuries, so it'll be interesting to see how many talls we go with, whether we try to "out size" them, or match them in smallish height.

6 minutes ago, rjay said:

Where is this "looked tired" stuff coming from 'Arti' he looked full of running in the last Q to me.

...an important cog in the team.

I think he got himself involved for patches in the last Q which is fantastic but not so much "full of running". He struggled a little to get involved in every contest like he did last week and in round 1. He is a gun and will get there and will be an important cog next year but cant rely on a 4 game player yet. But i wouldnt rest him yet either if it wasnt for bernie coming in but I dont know who else to take out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

In: Vince

Out: Hunt (unlucky)

Garlett to get another week to fully recover, I'm guessing vandenFyfe might need some time off to recover as well.

Can I just say that the role Vanders is playing is exactly the role I knew we would shoehorn him into for convenience/no other options - that high half forward role is something he does ok, but he is a mid. He is a ball chasing mid with toughness and height.

Get his ankles right and run him through the middle more. Then we will see a return to his 2015 form.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Exactly. I watched the highlights package today and was surprised at how often Brayshaw was involved.

Completely agree would never have Brayshaw out of the team unless injured. Brings so much to the team in toughness, contest, disposal and footy smarts. 

• Like 2

1st world problems!

We are starting to feel like a good footy club. Sometimes good players have to play in the twos. Apparently.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

But there are two players in the magoos whom Roosy will consider. One is Petracca who dominated the first term when Roosy was there and the other is Garland, who was handy and would be a straight swap for Dunny if they decide to go down that path.

Are you serious? Since Dunn has come into our side we've looked a lot stronger in defence as well as with Wagner as the 3rd medium tall. The only way Garland is getting back in IMO is if one of those guys get injured. He is a depth player.

• Like 12

19 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Ben Ken played a heap in the midfield and doesn't have the tank to do that for long periods, I think explains the drop in TOG. Oliver and Tyson played a lot forward. 

Kennedy in the midfield is interesting. It's nice to have another player with some burst speed in there, especially up against quicker midfields. Good to see him rewarded for his good form as well. 

I agree that Oliver wasn't especially tired and there were several times where he was providing great run through the middle in the last quarter and wasn't used by his team mates. If he was to go out of the team I think it would just be for more versatility with options to play everyone without game time limits. And for him to develop more intensity to his two way running. His tackling stood out on the replay. I guess some weeks you are first to the ball and get clearances, other weeks the ball doesn't come your way and tackling is a huge part of the game. 

I've been calling for BenKen to get more midfield time. He was an immediate game changer when thrown in there against GWS, and I think BenKen (along with Oliver) are our best inside midfielders. Having Kennedy in there is a good change, it gives Viney an opportunity to get in space (which he did yesterday, kicked a vital goal), and N.Jones also found more space yesterday. I thought it was N.Jones best game this year as well.

• Like 1

Considerations:

• Vince and Garlett (if fit) are automatic selections.

• Our bottom seven ranked players in terms of Supercoach were Hunt 40, Oliver 41, Brayshaw 57, Lumumba 62, Kennedy 64, Matt Jones 65 and Dunn 69.

• I didn’t think Dunn played very well on the weekend and looks out of form.

• Petracca is clearly showing he will be an AFL player in time but his fitness is still a weakness.

• Oliver will need a rest or two at some point during the season and the coaches may see this as a good opportunity to give him one.

• Hunt had a solid debut but is probably first in line to be dropped.

• Matt Jones may be injured.

• Vandenberg may also be fit, but I think he will need to come back via the VFL given our current form and short injury list.

I think we will see Vince and Garlett come in for Hunt and Oliver (rested).

Just now, Fat Tony said:

Considerations:

• Vince and Garlett (if fit) are automatic selections.

• Our bottom seven ranked players in terms of Supercoach were Hunt 40, Oliver 41, Brayshaw 57, Lumumba 62, Kennedy 64, Matt Jones 65 and Dunn 69.

• I didn’t think Dunn played very well on the weekend and looks out of form.

• Petracca is clearly showing he will be an AFL player in time but his fitness is still a weakness.

• Oliver will need a rest or two at some point during the season and the coaches may see this as a good opportunity to give him one.

• Hunt had a solid debut but is probably first in line to be dropped.

• Matt Jones may be injured.

• Vandenberg may also be fit, but I think he will need to come back via the VFL given our current form and short injury list.

I think we will see Vince and Garlett come in for Hunt and Oliver (rested).

Your harsh on Dunn. He won numerous one on ones against Cloke and took him to the cleaners. His kicking is such a weapon that its able to break through opposition defence zone.

• Like 10