Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

3 minutes ago, rjay said:

He's going to be something else when he can run out 4 Q's...the more he's able to get in and around the contest the better we will be.

The kid just reads the ball better than anyone around the clearances.

He also can't be tackled effectively. His ability to stand up in a tackle, get his arms free and hit an effective handball is as good as any going around. The fact he's doing it at 18 y/o is scary.

I really like Parish too but we nailed this selection.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2016 at 1:28 AM, Sylvia Saint said:

He also can't be tackled effectively. His ability to stand up in a tackle, get his arms free and hit an effective handball is as good as any going around. The fact he's doing it at 18 y/o is scary.

I really like Parish too but we nailed this selection.

It's a really interesting one, Parish i think is the type of outside player we desperately need and no doubt that would have been a consideration but Oliver has just been so impressive, i'd say more impressive then Brayshaw was last year and it was pretty obvious basically right away he could be a future star/captain.

I think we've found the next Michael Voss or Nathan Buckley 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffen said:

It's a really interesting one, Parish i think is the type of outside player we desperately need and no doubt that would have been a consideration but Oliver has just been so impressive, i'd say more impressive then Brayshaw was last year and it was pretty obvious basically right away he could be a future star/captain.

I think we've found the next Michael Voss or Nathan Buckley 

How many first year players go into centre bounces straight away? Serious question. How many first year players rack up clearances like he has to date? He's no Voss or Buckley. He's the Oliver!! Please sir, I'd like some more.

On 4/10/2016 at 1:38 AM, FireInTheBelly said:

How many first year players go into centre bounces straight away? Serious question. How many first year players rack up clearances like he has to date? He's no Voss or Buckley. He's the Oliver!! Please sir, I'd like some more.

The number would be fairly low. 

Parish is playing at the centre bounces but that wouldn't be happening under normal circumstances. 

Brayshaw did a little bit last year, and Jack viney did basically right away but i would say neither had the impact Oliver has

4 hours ago, Redleg said:

My son suggested the Chris Scott approach. Roos should say whenever asked, that we gave away 7 goals from free kicks and that he is going to ask the umpires what we are doing wrong, so that we don't let that happen again. Also that we only got one goal from a free and what we need to do to get them as well.

Or he should just look confused, angry, sad and have his head almost explode at every media conference, then cry poor because that seems to work so well for the Scott brothers and their respective clubs. God I loath North. 

If anyone is kind enough and can post the 2nd quarter on Youtube, that would be amazing and I will be eternally greatful. Can bring some Croatian beer back in return. 

• Like 1

This game reminded me of the round 23 dead rubbers we have played every year for the last decade .

But this was Round 3 against a team thats played in the last 2 prelims. Very encouraging. Cant wait for this Sunday vs the Filth.

First,  we  need  to  bring  the  same  effort  next  week  or  yesterday  was  just  another  loss.

If north  don't  win  a  flag  this  year  or  next  they  are  toast.  We  will  have  a  better  list  and  future.

North  got  home  on  the  backs  of  their  30plus  year  old  veterans  and  not  much  from  anybody  else, because  they  don't  have  anybody  else.

Where  is  their  Oliver, Viney, Salem  Brayshaw or  Pretacca? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, trenners_09 said:

Just watched the last 20 seconds again. Can't believe that Bugg didn't manage to hit Stretch on the chest with a short kick to advantage

Yep, Stretch had a little gap on Thomas and acres of space in front of him. Bugg managed to make it a 50-50, when it should have been much more to advantage.

These are the things we have to start doing consistently. Effort was great, just too many costly errors and brain fades.

Hopefully by next week the heartbreaking pain of being robbed of a hard earned win by lousy umpiring( and I know we have all heard the story before

about blaming the umpires) but it was so true yesterday,will subside and be replaced with fury and determination to obliterate Collingwood.

Well done boys,I'm sure in every true demons supporters heart we couldn't be more proud of you.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ProDee said:

I'm going hard and early.

It's a ridiculously small sample size, but I can't think of a better "first dibs" midfielder in my time watching the Dees.  His ability to get first hands on it and then execute clean use under immense pressure is extraordinary.

I've heard him compared to Diesel Williams - albeit he'll be a faster, longer kicking version.  His ability to find targets by hand is simply uncanny. The recruiters pulled the right reign on this one.  Once he gets another couple of preseasons under his belt he's going to be fearsome.  It was exciting watching yesterday to think where our midfield could be in a couple of years.  Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca being fed by Gawn.  If we can recruit Prestia as well, we are going to be able to do what we did yesterday at a higher more consistent level for a long time.

Matt Jones has owns his spot - that said, who to drop, its difficult, every time we try to have a tall fwd line it always seems to fall over for us, am happy to go with better ball users, than size alone.

Edited by Ingeniokinetikey
  • Like 1

There is still a lot of panic and errors caused by inexperience at the highest level but this can be easily fixed with experience.

People potting certsin players need to realise basic skill and decision  errors can be taken out of players games with experience.  I'll keep frost in my side for his speed and pressure. If he drops off in those areas and cant contribute then id drop him. I think he offers more then pederson and our rookies at this stage.

But how nice is it that we are now in games.... get games in to lads (oliver, brayshaw, stretch, anb, Van demon, kent (who in the first half i personally had a shocker) trac, etc

They are our future 

Also kudos to the golden haired boy J Wagner.

Nothing spectacular but a nice debut. Loved his tackle on Thomas (i think ot was) and uses the ball well. 

I'd give him another game for sure 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

I haven't read through all the pages here but does any one know if the siren sounded just BEFORE stretch kicked or if he had kicked that it would have stood?  I know he's a young kid but that was shite miss...as was Vanders, Hogans and Watts's all in the last. It was game so full of positives for us, on every level. but I still feel so shattered by it. 

After the siren apparently. But the ground I covered from the couch to the kitchen in the instant he dropped the ball to boot would see me get a serious look in come draft week.

• Like 5

I was strangely pleased with the boys' efforts for much of the first quarter. As an inexperienced squad, we obviously struggled early to adjust to unfamiliar conditions with positioning, tactics and reading the flight of the ball. But we changed approach during the term and began running with intent and some stunning hand-balling. A couple passages were almost rugby-esque. Dees were paying $35 at the quarter break and were smashing them in all key stats. The second term was very pleasing but a slight drop in the break-neck intensity in the final 5-10 mins was overall very costly. Ditto the final portion of the third where we briefly lost composure after doing so well to stay with them through some well-engineered passages into the wind. The final term was again rugby-like with North throwing the ball . . .

2 hours ago, doc roet said:

Hopefully by next week the heartbreaking pain of being robbed of a hard earned win by lousy umpiring( and I know we have all heard the story before

about blaming the umpires) but it was so true yesterday,will subside and be replaced with fury and determination to obliterate Collingwood.

Well done boys,I'm sure in every true demons supporters heart we couldn't be more proud of you.

I hope so too, but the pessimist in me fears a relapse to complacency, having done enough this week to avoid further external scrutiny. 

This is a massive tone setting game for both clubs seasons.

9 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Why does it take us being humiliated against Ess for us to come out and play like that?

Jnr, after the Essendon game I posted on here that I was strangely calm when usually after a loss (especially one that appeared as catastrophic as that loss) I would be in full rage mode. I believe I called it another big bump in the road of the rebuild but we were still on the right track and will get there.

The Kangaroos game showed me that is indeed true.. sure there will still be more bumps to come but we are building something special for sure.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Jnr, after the Essendon game I posted on here that I was strangely calm when usually after a loss (especially one that appeared as catastrophic as that loss) I would be in full rage mode. I believe I called it another big bump in the road of the rebuild but we were still on the right track and will get there.

The Kangaroos game showed me that is indeed true.. sure there will still be more bumps to come but we are building something special for sure.

The always level headed HH. Haha.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, trenners_09 said:

Just watched the last 20 seconds again. Can't believe that Bugg didn't manage to hit Stretch on the chest with a short kick to advantage

Bugg is not a skilled player, and was caught on his wrong foot (his right). Earlier in the game when in the same situation, he tried to get back on his left, and coughed it up. Hopefully he's replaced in the team by the likes of Petracca, Trengove or ANB.

10 hours ago, ding said:

Now that i have calmed down, can someone let me know who got us back in the game? I wasnt lying when i said i didnt see or hear a second of the game.

Cheers.

For someone who didn't see the game you were certainly very strong on how pathetic we were, especially when many many people who did see the game were telling you we actually played very good football but were beaten by a better side (just) and some appalling free kicks.

As to who got us back in the game, we actually played fairly well int eh first, the intensity was there, we were winning many of the stats, we just couldn't work out the conditions, which was a thumping gale to one end of the ground. In the second it didn't look like we were playing much differently to the first, we just had the wind at our back and North couldn't work out playing into the wind just like we couldn't in the first. In essence it was the wind that took us out of the game and then got us back into it. 

In the second half both teams worked out playing into the wind and the game evened out somewhat with the wind advantage only being 3 goals or so for the last half, not 8 goals as it was int eh first half. 

• Like 4