Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion vs GWS

Nasher

11 minutes ago, djr said:

I just tried to subscribe to AFL live App to watch the replay on my Macbook. I followed their prompts and paid by credit card and received a confirmation email. I logged in to watch the replay thru afl.com.au but they are still asking me to subscribe. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using Google Chrome as my browser.

replay is here, no subscription required

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sue said:

Anyone have an idea why we would use less than allowed?

The big story of the day for me. Considering the last quarter finish

many people on here during the game wanted Misson sacked on the spot. 

The guy has trained Olympians & now he has a list that contains Hard Nuts could well train our 13th Flag

watching the last quarter this morning i still cannot believe Neeld wanted Toumpas. The guy truly is a clown

Clayton Oliver take a Bow. 

• Like 8

Its interesting that we had only 80 i/c and were still full on run at the end of the game.  Certainly improved fitness is a key.

But I noticed that players did not venture out of their 'zone' on the ground very often.  eg rarely saw Viney, Oliver inside either of the 50 arcs, I think Salem was the only designated backman to go forward of the centre.  Few of the forwards went forward of the 50m arc while playing as a forward (rather than when on the wing).  I'm sure there were lots of other examples.

Maybe the i/c cap signals the end of the pure on-baller as we have known them for the last decade.  Teams have usually had 10-12 who run hard both ways.  Whereas yesterday we linked up well thru the zones on the ground.  So maybe the game will revert to the more traditional positions. 

My conclusion is we are conserving player energy by restricting the range on the oval in which they run/patrol.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Its interesting that we had only 80 i/c and were still full on run at the end of the game.  Certainly improved fitness is a key.

But I noticed that players did not venture out of their 'zone' on the ground very often.  eg rarely saw Viney, Oliver inside either of the 50 arcs, I think Salem was the only designated backman to go forward of the centre.  Few of the forwards went forward of the 50m arc while playing as a forward (rather than when on the wing).  I'm sure there were lots of other examples.

My conclusion is we are conserving player energy by restricting the range on the oval in which they run/patrol. 

Hopefully it will mean players will play on each other again. 

Rather than watching a mad ant farm from the Grandstand or TV

KB was right on this one. Hopefully the number will be reduced further...

Most of the areas of our performance has been covered in this thread already but a few points worth re-emphasising ...

• Our attack on the ball throughout was excellent ... we just lack some polish and better disposal skills - the decision making was much improved.  We won the centre clearances 13-11 when previously, we've often lagged behind our opponents in that area.  Overall we lost the clearances 25-31 but that's an improving number (Oliver had 7 clearances & 15 contested possessions with a very good DE%* - on debut! - one player can make a difference)  Our stoppage work needs a lot of improvement but the injection of Brayshaw, Petracca and hopefully Trengove will help fix that area. 

• Gawn nullifying and beating Mumford was a big factor ... the value of a good ruckman is often underestimated because they often break even.  However, it should be remembered that many of us were concerned that Mumford could have had a telling influence - if Mumford has a decent day they win?  The truth was that it was Gawn's day - well done big fella.

• 2nd and 3rd efforts and pressure acts was another big factor in our favour - they were often made to feel uncomfortable when they had the ball - we had more turnovers than they did but they wouldn't have been expecting as many turnovers as they had.  Ignoring last years round 23 clash, we've previously allowed the Giants to play their natural game but not this time.  And we ran the game out well - another pleasing aspect.  They looked tired.

• The Inside 50 numbers was also pleasing but we've still got some issues with our forwards being caught playing from behind too often ... it takes strong discipline to demand the front position and we need to get better in that area.

But the best bit was that at no stage did we drop our heads nor did we give up - in the recent past we would have lost this game.  Lots of positive signs and I'm expecting an improved performance against the Bombers.

*Oliver's high DE% is all the more remarkable because of how he won his possessions (i.e he was often under pressure when disposing of the ball)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

I wish I didnt look it up.. it makes for horrid reading. The infamous game vs Port.

B Lynden Dunn, Tom Gillies, Daniel Nicholson

HB Jack Watts, James Frawley, Colin Garland

C Jack Viney, Jack Grimes, Jimmy Toumpas

HF Jeremy Howe, James Sellar, Colin Sylvia

F Shannon Byrnes, Mitch Clark, Cameron Pederson

Fol Mark Jamar, Jordie McKenzie, Nathan Jones

I/C  Matt Jones, David Rodan, Luke Tapscott

Sub - Sam Blease

A lot of unfulfilled and wasted talent there. Actually makes me feel sad compared to sick.

• Like 2

Was watching highlights and Ben ken set up at least 5 goals

1. His own goal

2. garletts first goal by hand pass

3. Jack watts first goal in final quarter came from Ben Ken kick

4. garletts 2nd goal came from Ben Ken intercepting kick and hand passing 

5. Ben Ken kicks down midfield to Watts who turns and plants it on top of Hogan for a goal

• Like 7

3 hours ago, djr said:

I just tried to subscribe to AFL live App to watch the replay on my Macbook. I followed their prompts and paid by credit card and received a confirmation email. I logged in to watch the replay thru afl.com.au but they are still asking me to subscribe. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using Google Chrome as my browser.

you can watch the smart replay for free. it's been available for most of today (if not all)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Maybe the i/c cap signals the end of the pure on-baller as we have known them for the last decade.  Teams have usually had 10-12 who run hard both ways.  Whereas yesterday we linked up well thru the zones on the ground.  So maybe the game will revert to the more traditional positions. 

I suspect this has a lot to do with the new zonal system, but I didn't notice the above as such. Interesting.

7 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

IMO, it certainly won't mean that. And it didn't mean that yesterday. One thing that was noticeable was that our players were marking space or zones on the ground yesterday, rather than strict one on ones. There was a moment Garland left his spot, instead of marking space and it meant that GWS got an uncontested mark inside 50. I suspect he still has a bit to learn, coming from the old Melbourne. I'd say we'll have this sorted out by the end of 2016.

This year will be a rollercoaster, but a much more exciting rollercoaster than last year, but 2017 is where it really gets exciting. 

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I don't think it will ever get back to lowish enough numbers to have the old one on one SW but i like the direction and the result so far. If we can get it down to around 60 it would be great. Each player getting roughly 3 rests plus the quarters and half time. That's about 6 for the match plus stoppages. Seems a good balance.

As you say, KB was spot on and deserves major credit for pushing this.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

I don't think it will ever get back to lowish enough numbers to have the old one on one SW but i like the direction and the result so far. If we can get it down to around 60 it would be great. Each player getting roughly 3 rests plus the quarters and half time. That's about 6 for the match plus stoppages. Seems a good balance.

As you say, KB was spot on and deserves major credit for pushing this.

50-60 Rotations would keep the key position players on the ground. 

Resting Ruckman on the ground is what i want

A CHB playing on a CHF

CHF hasn't existed since the 90's!!

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

A CHB playing on a CHF

And beers and darts for the players at half time, one training a week with a sausage sizzle, heck why not the batmobile too?

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

A CHB playing on a CHF

SW i think we might be have to wait at least another 2 decades before seeing such match ups!

Hey i thought i saw Old Dee in the crowd straight after the first goal by Jeffy yesterday (1:30 left on the clock in the first quarter. Look for OD fist pumping!). Anyone heard from OD lately? Maybe he's still recovering from our improved form :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rusty Nails said:

SW i think we might be have to wait at least another 2 decades before seeing such match ups!

Hey i thought i saw Old Dee in the crowd straight after the first goal by Jeffy yesterday (1:30 left on the clock in the first quarter. Look for OD fist pumping!). Anyone heard from OD lately? Maybe he's still recovering from our improved form :lol:

Man on Man key positions will bring crowds back to the game. 

Rotate the midfield. Bet it happens within 2-5 years!!

will look for OD. he has been very positive lately

We now have a team...

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

And beers and darts for the players at half time, one training a week with a sausage sizzle, heck why not the batmobile too?

C'mon Stuie stop exaggerating. There was usually a good hearty home made soup by one of the mums/volunteers on offer as an alternative to sausages :lol:

And what the hec's wrong with the bat anyways :wacko:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rusty Nails said:

C'mon Stuie stop exaggerating. There was usually a good hearty home made soup by one of the mums/volunteers on offer as an alternative to sausages :lol:

And what the hec's wrong with the bat anyways :wacko:

Haha! Just gotta be careful, if someone cuts the oranges wrong then no doubt SWYL will blame them for anything that goes wrong for the next 10 years...

On 25/03/2016 at 0:07 AM, The Reverend said:

We fuggin won!!!

This is a discussion forum, mate. If you just wanna look at the positives and gloss over any negatives, don't read it.

• Like 3

not much (none) on the garlett high tackle in the media (good sign?)

watching the replay a number of times it didn't look too good

will the mrp be meeting today or will they leave it till tomorrow after the dorks/[censored] game. they did say they were going to expedite it this year.

i hope just a fine, but 1 week could be the outcome

Just watched the Viney highlights - that was some game of footy from him. His knack of sprinting as soon as he takes possession and aggressively setting up the next play was breathtaking. I reckon he will bet tagged a bit this year,  but will handle it and continue to excel. 

• Like 1

Great to win Round 1.

Exactly what we needed for the confidence of the entire list of 22 and all supporters. We need as much momentum early in the season as possible so it's only a positive from that viewpoint.

Individually, Matt Jones, Watts, Ben Kennedy and Jack Viney clearly carried their pre-season form into Saturday's game. 

That's the most confident I've seen Watts play. Ever. He had a great energy and he's obviously really inspired and confident atm. Really good to see.

What was really pleasing was the effort and contribution of players other than Jones and Vince. We're building the list.

The negatives and things that remain a worry is our ball movement. Same story. We're lucky this time that GWS were really inaccurate, but holy [censored] we've got to sort out our inside 50 delivery. We didn't turn the ball over as much as we have been in the back half of the ground, but we really butchered it going forward and weren't kicking to the right spots. It can be improved for sure, but it'll remain a worry this year as we still don't have many guys who are really damaging by foot.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Just watched the Viney highlights - that was some game of footy from him. His knack of sprinting as soon as he takes possession and aggressively setting up the next play was breathtaking. I reckon he will bet tagged a bit this year,  but will handle it and continue to excel. 

In terms of volume of Demonland comments and accolades, Viney is massively underrated. His ability to break a contest and run away from his opponent was brilliant. He had a great season last year, and looks to have taken his game to another level.

The limit on rotations will suit his game, and I know this will be unpopular, but it will also suit Scully.

• Like 2