Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THREE AND A HALF PAGES by Whispering Jack

Whispering_Jack

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since I received my copy of "Breakfast with Bails" in the mail early last month. I finally opened up the book this morning to find the place where I had left off reading the early chapters that were available to download onto Kindle and which I read while in flight above the United States.

I have now read a further 3½ pages that resonate strongly on a number of levels, particularly after witnessing an outstanding film based on the true story of how a team of reporters from Boston Globe investigated and ultimately exposed a massive cover up at the highest level of abuse within the Catholic Church which had enormous ramifications worldwide, including in Australia (and judging by the weekend’s headlines, it remains a very much live issue). The events covered were disturbing in themselves and for that alone I recommend that you see Spotlight but there was also a sub text that leads me to the story of the 3½ pages of the book about Dean Bailey.

I'm referring to the work of the characters in the film - "investigative journalism": a search for the discovery of the truth about a single topic of interest. A search that involves the delving into of documents, interviewing witnesses and researching issues. Checking the facts or if you like, "accountability reporting". We saw it to effect in the work of Fairfax journalists Richard Baker and Nick McKenzie with Stephen Dank and the Essendon saga, just as we saw the opposite with the other type of journalist which brings me to the football editor of the Herald Sun Mark Robinson, a Bomber fan whose body of work on that subject was downright embarrassing.

It was also Robinson who threw Dean Bailey under a bus with his "Dead man coaching" story at a point not too far into the 2011 season. That's what the 3½ pages I read this morning were all about. "Robbo" with his "coaching pressure barometer" on his Foxtel programme had already designated Bailey as a high risk to lose his job but this was at a time when his team had a record of two wins and a draw in five games. The two met face to face and Robinson offered a dispassionate response that read a bit like the Nuremberg defence - "Yeah, I went too far; the heading was no good. But you gotta' understand I don't write the headings."  In this case however, the words were also in the text of his  article so Bailey could have called him for his bullshit but rather, simply unemotionally accepted it with a, "Yeah, no worries." That was Bails.

The offending article came after a poor game from Melbourne against the Eagles in Perth.  Bailey's team capitulated weakly to some heavy defensive pressure all over the ground, a performance that admittedly, set off doubts in many peoples' minds (including my own) about the style of coaching he had adopted for the still developing side, but Robinson was way out of line coming up with a virtual epitaph to Bailey's coaching career at such an early stage in the season. The team reacted in its next game with a 16 goal win over Adelaide at the MCG.

Coaches of losing teams are an easy target and Robinson used his position in bully-like fashion. It was weak, cowardly and ugly but Robbo has form. Look at how he dealt with the Garry Lyon/Billy Brownless situation last week - more easy targets for one with an agenda who might not be too interested in checking his facts before firing bullets. And Robbo claims to be a mate of Garry's who even dropped in to play cricket with the family. Ironically, Lyon has taken flack in some quarters for his role in the appointment of both Bailey and his successor Mark Neeld who were both thrown under the buses by the media vultures.

Robbo’s barbs must have had their effect on Bailey even if he didn't show it and even if he didn't read the on-line message boards and social media or listen to talk back radio and taxi drivers. I say this because from my brief experiences of speaking with him at a couple of Melbourne functions (he was always very approachable), I concluded he probably never felt completely secure in his role as the head coach of the club.

There was a sponsor’s  function at a Volvo showroom on the eve of the 2008 National Draft when I mentioned to him that one of the club's problems in recent years was its inability to turn high draft picks like Colin Sylvia and Brock McLean into champion footballers. He seemed to take this comment as a direct criticism of his coaching and I had to reassure him that this was not what I meant. At the time, Bailey had been coach for one season while Col and Brock had been at the club for five years without fulfilling anything close to their promise (or perhaps our expectations). Ironically, the club drafted Jack Watts with its number one pick on the following day.

The "dead man coaching" tag followed Bailey for the rest of the season to the end of July that year. I expect the rest of the book will cover these events in some detail but I don't think it can be understated how difficult life was made for the coach of a team going through a topsy turvy season with an attendant build-up of tension through the club. The constant internal and external criticisms would have taken their toll as it does with all clubs where the coach is under pressure.

As for Robbo, he would do well to look to characters like  another Robinson - Walter "Robby" Robinson of the Boston Globe who led  the Spotlight team's investigation to a Pulitzer Prize, rather than play for sensationalist headline grabbing attention for his agendas. On that note, I'll leave you with the comment of one who is said to have opined that when Robbo was chosen to replace Mike Sheahan at the Herald Sun it was like "replacing Frank Sinatra with a karaoke singer."

• Like 4

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

TRAINING: Friday 19th April 2024

They are out for a run just as it starts raining. It didn't last long, ended up a reasonable session weather wise.  Light duties, BBB, rehab Farris-White, Melky, Salem and Spargo, all with private trainers. They are all playing soccer, huge amount of noise. 36-40 (difficult to get a count) in the main squad, biggest I've seen it in ages. Choco is barking out the orders. Goody has intense body language as he observes. Bowey in a lime green cap (no contact), and in the sim

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

ICEBREAKER by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons have broken the ice for season 2024 with a pulsating come-from-behind victory over Port Melbourne in which it took the lead for the first time at the halfway mark of the final quarter. The game played in mild Autumn conditions in neutral territory at Kinetic Park, Frankston, never reached great heights in standard but it proved gripping in character at the end at the Casey Demons overcame the Borough to win by 15 points after trailing badly early in the second half.  P

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

MAULED by Whispering Jack

The writing was on the wall from the very first bounce of the football. The big men went up, Max Gawn more often than not, decisively won the ruck hit out and invariably a Brisbane Lions onballer either won the battle on the ground or halved the contest and they went at it repeatedly until they finally won out. Melbourne managed the first goal from Alex Neal-Bullen but after that the visitors shut out every area of Demon presence around the ground except in the ruck duels. It was a mauling.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

PREGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond

The Demons have a bye next week and have a 13 day break before they return to the MCG on ANZAC Eve to take on the Tigers. Who comes in and who goes out?

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 184

PODCAST: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 15th April @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Lions in the Round 05. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIV

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 52

VOTES: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

Last week Christian Petracca retook the outright lead in the Demonland Player of the Year Award from Max Gawn, Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jack Viney. Your votes for the loss against the Lions. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 44

POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

The Demons 4 game winning streak has come to an end after a disappointing loss against the Brisbane Lions at the MCG going down by 22 points. 

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 505

GAMEDAY: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

It's Game Day & Demons have a great opportunity to win their fifth game on the trot and go into the bye with 5 wins and one loss when they take on the Brisbane Lions at the MCG on the Thursday night big stage.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 833

TRAINING: Wednesday 10th April 2024

Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Demon Dynasty were once again on hand at this morning's Captain's Run at Gosch's Paddock to bring you their observations from training. KEV MARTIN'S CAPTAIN'S RUN OBSERVATIONS No-one in rehab this morning, a Captain's run, 26 players. Laurie, Tomlinson, Tholstrup, Chandler, Woey, and Kossie are out there. Rehabbers are out now. Marty, McAdam, Melky, Bowey, Sestan. As a guess for in and outs, I would say, out Laurie, Tomlinson, and W

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
  • Podcast 

• Podcast 

• Podcast Stream 

Open Stream in
    New Window
        TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • Support Demonland  

• 2021 Premiership  

• Social Media 

• Non MFC Games  

NON-MFC: Round 06

Discussion of all the other games that don't involve the Demons in Round 06 ... READ MORE

Demonland | Round 06

• Training  

Friday, 19th April 2024

Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin headed down to Gosch's Paddock today to bring you his observations from training ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 19

• Latest Podcast      

PODCAST: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

The boys dissected the disappointing loss to Brisbane rueing our poor work at the stoppages, debated the role that fatigue played and lamenting the loss of Christian Salem ... LISTEN

Demonland | April 16

• PreGame      

PREGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

The Demons have a bye next week and have a 13 day break before they return to the MCG on ANZAC Eve to take on the Tigers. Who comes in and who goes out? ...READ MORE

Demonland | April 16

• Casey Report      

ICE BREAKER by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons have broken the ice for season 2024 with a pulsating come-from-behind victory over Port Melbourne in which it took the lead for the first time at the halfway mark of the final quarter ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 14

• Match Report      

MAULED by Whispering Jack

The writing was on the wall from the very first bounce of the football. The big men went up, Max Gawn more often than not, decisively won the ruck hit out and invariably a Brisbane Lions onballer either won the battle on the ground or halved the contest and they went at it repeatedly until they finally won out ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 12

• Post Game      

POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

The Demons 4 game winning streak has come to an end after a disappointing loss against the Brisbane Lions at the MCG going down by 22 points ...READ MORE

Demonland | April 11

• Votes      

VOTES: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

Last week Christian Petracca retook the outright lead in the Demonland Player of the Year Award from Max Gawn, Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jack Viney. Your votes for the loss against the Lions. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...READ MORE

Demonland | April 11

• Game Day      

GAMEDAY: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

It's Game Day & the Demons have a great opportunity to win their fifth game on the trot and go into the bye with 5 wins and one loss when they take on the Brisbane Lions at the MCG on the Thursday night big stage ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 11

• Training  

Wednesday, 10th April 2024

Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Demon Dynasty were once again on hand at this morning's Captain's Run at Gosch's Paddock to bring you their observations from training ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 10

• Match Preview      

THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

Good evening, Demon fans and welcome to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast … It’s been a beautiful last day of September and how sweet it is to bring you our coverage of all things that matter about the great Demon resurgence which we’ve seen over the past six or seven months ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 09

• Training  

Sunday, 7th April 2024

Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin ventured down in the rain to Gosch's Paddock for the Demon Family Series April School Holiday Open Training session ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 07

• Training  

Monday, 1st April 2024

Our man on the spot Bendigo Demon traveled to Adelaide for our back to back games in the City of Churches and brings you his observations from the Demon's training session at Hisense Stadium ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 01

• Latest Podcast  

PODCAST: Koltyn Tholstrup Interview

I interview the Melbourne Football Club’s newest recruit Koltyn Tholstrup to have a chat about his journey from the farm to the Demons, his first few weeks of preseason training, which Dees have impressed him on the track and his aspirations of playing Round 1 ... LISTEN

Demonland | December 14

• Latest Podcast  

PODCAST: Jason Taylor Interview

I interview the Melbourne Football Club's National Recruitment Manager Jason Taylor to have a chat about our Trade and Draft period, our newest recruits, our recent recruits who have yet to debut as well as those father son prospects on the horizon ... LISTEN

Demonland | November 27

• Next Match 

Round 07

vs   

Wednesday 24th April 2024
    @ 07:25pm (MCG)

• MFC Forum  

• Match Previews & Reports  

• Training Forum  

• AFLW Forum  

• 2024 Player Sponsorship

• Topics