Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Pell's health at risk...... . .

dee-luded

20 minutes ago, nutbean said:

What is a very serious issue has a very bizarre twist being Andrew Bolt's reporting from Rome. 

I can't get myself to read the Sun, mainly because Bolt is bad for my blood pressure. I can imagine what he's saying about his dear innocent friend Pell, but what's the substance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieter said:

I can't get myself to read the Sun, mainly because Bolt is bad for my blood pressure. I can imagine what he's saying about his dear innocent friend Pell, but what's the substance?

I stopped reading anything by bolt some years back.

I am slowly weaning myself off from 'the sun' paper... in cafes,,, & now much prefer 'the age',  whether in cafes or on internet. 

......  so I do not know what bolt says ?

Edited by dee-luded

I read him religiously ( pardon the pun) as I do like to get another side of any argument - I rarely (if ever) agree with what he has to say but ( as bad as it is for the blood pressure) he does have a point a view and it is healthy to read across the spectrum before deciding where one sits on any issue

George Pell: Backflip on cardinal an (Andrew) Bolt from the blue

Who knew that conservative writer and broadcaster Andrew Bolt was also a master at the art of satire?
In his latest piece, published on Wednesday, the News Corp columnist delivers a sobering analysis of Cardinal George Pell's second day of testimony to the child abuse royal commission.
In doing so, Australia's most powerful Catholic appears to have lost one of his staunchest defenders.
And loyal readers have been left in a state of perpetual shock, asking if this might be the "backflip of the century".
Some wondered if Bolt's latest views would compromise his chance at an exclusive interview with the Cardinal on Thursday for Sky. And it's not certain. Sky is hedging its bets when asked to confirm.

On the question of what Pell knew about notorious paedophile priest Gerald Ridsdale - his former colleague and housemate - Bolt posed the question that looms large for the commission.
"Is the Vatican's third-most powerful leader a liar when he says he never knew what Ridsdale ... was doing in Ballarat? Or was he just dangerously indifferent to his responsibilities and to the warning signs that children were being raped?"
It followed Pell's testimony on Tuesday about when he learnt of Ridsdale's offending. "It's a sad story and it wasn't of much interest to me," he declared, prompting audible gasps.
And with that comment Bolt changed his tune, writing that Pell had "uttered words that will stain his reputation forever". He said Pell failed to explain why he never asked about Ridsdale's movements between parishes, and writes about his tendency to fall back on the lines of command defence. He even described the commission's questioning as "rightly aggressive".
It's a withering and unexpected commentary on the man Bolt has long described as the victim of a vicious witch-hunt. And some readers were surprised.
"Stain on Bolt's reputation … Split personality mad … Backflip of the century ... Is this real life?" they wrote. One questioned if a character assassination of his good mate Tony Abbott was next on the cards.
Only recently, Bolt condemned police and his own newspaper, the Herald Sun, for running a front-page story about an investigation into allegations Pell himself sexually abused children.
"Last week I called the witch-hunt against Cardinal George Pell vicious and shameful," he began. "Now the campaign to destroy Pell has become sinister as well, after it was joined by - in my view - elements of Victoria Police."
He went on to write about the "scandalous injustice and abuse of state power" and Victoria Police's "culture that encourages officers to hunt Catholics and smear their church".
In other pieces, Bolt has leapt to Pell's defence. In his column on Tuesday, he questioned the "public determination" to force the Cardinal to take the blame for the failure of others in the church.
And then, in another bizarre twist for the conservative columnist, Bolt on Wednesday appeared to backflip on his backflip, saying on Sky that he thinks he owes the Cardinal an apology for his comment piece.
"I joined that attack on George Pell, as you've just read, and I think for the first time in my life I'm trending positive on Twitter as a result," he said.
"I think I owe an apology and I'll go back to being hated on Twitter."
Asked about Pell's testimony and the admission he never asked why Ridsdale was being moved, Bolt said the Cardinal was not "plugged into the community" and had been "incurious".
"But … I think where the exaggeration has occurred is in thinking that he knows of abuse and he doesn't care. And that fits a stereotype," he said, adding that Pell had devoted his life to the church.
"I mean, you gotta [sic] really think he's a sociopath, as some clearly do, and I think that's highly improbable."

Bolt has been in Rome to cover the Cardinal's testimony for Sky all week, watching the extraordinary testimony of the man he has so long championed.
It remains to be seen, if Bolt does get his one-on-one interview, if he will ask the question he posed in his column: Is the Cardinal a liar?

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nutbean said:

I read him religiously ( pardon the pun) as I do like to get another side of any argument - I rarely (if ever) agree with what he has to say but ( as bad as it is for the blood pressure) he does have a point a view and it is healthy to read across the spectrum before deciding where one sits on any issue

George Pell: Backflip on cardinal an (Andrew) Bolt from the blue

Who knew that conservative writer and broadcaster Andrew Bolt was also a master at the art of satire?
In his latest piece, published on Wednesday, the News Corp columnist delivers a sobering analysis of Cardinal George Pell's second day of testimony to the child abuse royal commission.
In doing so, Australia's most powerful Catholic appears to have lost one of his staunchest defenders.
And loyal readers have been left in a state of perpetual shock, asking if this might be the "backflip of the century".
Some wondered if Bolt's latest views would compromise his chance at an exclusive interview with the Cardinal on Thursday for Sky. And it's not certain. Sky is hedging its bets when asked to confirm.

On the question of what Pell knew about notorious paedophile priest Gerald Ridsdale - his former colleague and housemate - Bolt posed the question that looms large for the commission.
"Is the Vatican's third-most powerful leader a liar when he says he never knew what Ridsdale ... was doing in Ballarat? Or was he just dangerously indifferent to his responsibilities and to the warning signs that children were being raped?"
It followed Pell's testimony on Tuesday about when he learnt of Ridsdale's offending. "It's a sad story and it wasn't of much interest to me," he declared, prompting audible gasps.
And with that comment Bolt changed his tune, writing that Pell had "uttered words that will stain his reputation forever". He said Pell failed to explain why he never asked about Ridsdale's movements between parishes, and writes about his tendency to fall back on the lines of command defence. He even described the commission's questioning as "rightly aggressive".
It's a withering and unexpected commentary on the man Bolt has long described as the victim of a vicious witch-hunt. And some readers were surprised.
"Stain on Bolt's reputation … Split personality mad … Backflip of the century ... Is this real life?" they wrote. One questioned if a character assassination of his good mate Tony Abbott was next on the cards.
Only recently, Bolt condemned police and his own newspaper, the Herald Sun, for running a front-page story about an investigation into allegations Pell himself sexually abused children.
"Last week I called the witch-hunt against Cardinal George Pell vicious and shameful," he began. "Now the campaign to destroy Pell has become sinister as well, after it was joined by - in my view - elements of Victoria Police."
He went on to write about the "scandalous injustice and abuse of state power" and Victoria Police's "culture that encourages officers to hunt Catholics and smear their church".
In other pieces, Bolt has leapt to Pell's defence. In his column on Tuesday, he questioned the "public determination" to force the Cardinal to take the blame for the failure of others in the church.
And then, in another bizarre twist for the conservative columnist, Bolt on Wednesday appeared to backflip on his backflip, saying on Sky that he thinks he owes the Cardinal an apology for his comment piece.
"I joined that attack on George Pell, as you've just read, and I think for the first time in my life I'm trending positive on Twitter as a result," he said.
"I think I owe an apology and I'll go back to being hated on Twitter."
Asked about Pell's testimony and the admission he never asked why Ridsdale was being moved, Bolt said the Cardinal was not "plugged into the community" and had been "incurious".
"But … I think where the exaggeration has occurred is in thinking that he knows of abuse and he doesn't care. And that fits a stereotype," he said, adding that Pell had devoted his life to the church.
"I mean, you gotta [sic] really think he's a sociopath, as some clearly do, and I think that's highly improbable."

Bolt has been in Rome to cover the Cardinal's testimony for Sky all week, watching the extraordinary testimony of the man he has so long championed.
It remains to be seen, if Bolt does get his one-on-one interview, if he will ask the question he posed in his column: Is the Cardinal a liar?

Thanks for posting. I appreciate it.

Regards

Dieter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieter said:

Thanks for posting. I appreciate it.

Regards

Dieter

17 minutes ago, Jara said:

Pell should be in jail.

anyone with a polygraph handy ???   that will sort out his memory situation.

Christpher Skase,  your forgiven mate for only taking printed paper....  & also absconding...  (you didn't take youngsters spirits in a bottle, with your decisions).

Edited by dee-luded

13 hours ago, Jara said:

Pell should be in jail.

Whilst he himself may not be guilty of pedophilia, I believe that he and others were aware of what was happening within the church and either opted to do nothing ( it was not a matter of interest to me) or move offenders into other parish's where they could re-offend rather than turn them over to the authorities.

Pedophilia is an evil -  nothing more, nothing less. In my eyes the only question that needs to be answered is did Pell know what was going on - if he did then he aided and abetted. 

25 minutes ago, nutbean said:

Whilst he himself may not be guilty of pedophilia, I believe that he and others were aware of what was happening within the church and either opted to do nothing ( it was not a matter of interest to me) or move offenders into other parish's where they could re-offend rather than turn them over to the authorities.

Pedophilia is an evil -  nothing more, nothing less. In my eyes the only question that needs to be answered is did Pell know what was going on - if he did then he aided and abetted. 

the sins of omission, nut

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nutbean said:

I think the church thinks homosexuality is an illness,  & I think that they believe that pedophilia is a branch of homosexuality.  so they think they can treat the pedophiles with counseling,  & they can readjust themselves.  Wishful thinking if true IMO.

& very harmful to the communities the pedophiles live around.

I think the church is out of touch,  not respecting the sciences enough.

..... the other side of the coin Re Pell,  is I think he's very possibly narcissistic;   & is career driven.   so he does everything with the image of the church foremost,  rather than the flock.  he has caused a lot of hurt. 

his indifference,  'to rooting boys again'  may be  a sign of him being molested when young,  & if so,  thinks little of it.  its possibly normalized in his mind.   & could explain why he's so removed from 'the survivors', of his churches abuses.

I personally came close to being abused but fortunately for me I spoke up before anything took place.   the cops got one fella in a sting setup after he payed & took photos of a group of us,  at the beach toilets.

....  another time was an older cousin trying it on,  kreepy.

....  another time,  the facilitator of the careers counseling office in Flinders Lane,  at the back of the St Pauls Cathedral church,  across from the old city square tried to trick me. 

I was a very naive & mixed up kid,  with a lot of arrested development at that time,  from 'aggression & cruelty' abuse from the age of around 5 Yrs.  Culminating in depression from around 11 - 12 years of age.  this un-diagnosed illness caused further delayed maturing/growth.

still afflicted today,  I'm discovering.  

A person like this,  learns a whole set of different expressions & meanings,  & meets a lot of confusion amongst people,  both ways,  who have grown with different interpretations of word meanings,  & of terms & sayings.

Edited by dee-luded

If you want to see a view of how disturbing the Vatican and the priesthood have become and the appalling ethics, corruption and double standards watch this doco: 'Secrets of the Vatican'.  The Vatican seems to have been aware of the sexual abuse and failed to act.   

The program shows that just about every moral standard our society is based on has been breached. 

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365187642/

Having been raised a catholic (now non-practicing) I found it exceptionally distressing that a great institution has come to this. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

15 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If you want to see a view of how disturbing the Vatican and the priesthood have become and the appalling ethics, corruption and double standards in many aspects of life, watch this doco: 'Secrets of the Vatican'. 

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365187642/

Having been raised a catholic (now non-practicing) I found it exceptionally distressing that a great institution has come to this. 

hate to say it luci but the vatican and "appalling ethics, corruption and double standards" have been bed-fellows for many, many centuries

organised-religion (not necessarily religion) is the problem because it has been allowed to be supposedly "self-regulating" 

1 hour ago, dee-luded said:

I think the church thinks homosexuality is an illness,  & I think that they believe that pedophilia is a branch of homosexuality.  so they think they can treat the pedophiles with counseling,  & they can readjust themselves.  Wishful thinking if true IMO.

& very harmful to the communities the pedophiles live around.

I think the church is out of touch,  not respecting the sciences enough.

..... the other side of the coin Re Pell,  is I think he's very possibly narcissistic;   & is career driven.   so he does everything with the image of the church foremost,  rather than the flock.  he has caused a lot of hurt. 

his indifference,  'to rooting boys again'  may be  a sign of him being molested when young,  & if so,  thinks little of it.  its possibly normalized in his mind.   & could explain why he's so removed from 'the survivors', of his churches abuses.

I personally came close to being abused but fortunately for me I spoke up before anything took place.   the cops got one fella in a sting setup after he payed & took photos of a group of us,  at the beach toilets.

....  another time was an older cousin trying it on,  kreepy.

....  another time,  the facilitator of the careers counseling office in Flinders Lane,  at the back of the St Pauls Cathedral church,  across from the old city square tried to trick me. 

I was a very naive & mixed up kid,  with a lot of arrested development at that time,  from 'aggression & cruelty' abuse from the age of around 5 Yrs.  Culminating in depression from around 11 - 12 years of age.  this un-diagnosed illness caused further delayed maturing/growth.

still afflicted today,  I'm discovering.  

A person like this,  learns a whole set of different expressions & meanings,  & meets a lot of confusion amongst people,  both ways,  who have grown with different interpretations of word meanings,  & of terms & sayings.

I felt pretty sad for you when I read the above: it must have been tough to get through every day. I also admire that you've been able to articulate it. Hope things are okay for you now. 

Edited by dieter
correcting text.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, dieter said:

I felt pretty sad for you when I read the above: it must have been tough to get through every day. I also admire that you've been able to articulate it. Hope things are okay for you now. 

it was tougher Pre 19yrs...   bullied at home first,   then it started on the streets by age 7,  by mates aggressive friends/cousins, etc,  then at school around

class yrs 6 - 10,  then still on the streets until around 18yrs age, 

At work sometimes,  till I belted the tradesmen back.  I started to fight back,  but I had a LOT of work to do to become functional,  & build any confidence.  I didn't have the confidence to choose clothes,  colours,  even to fill out centrelink forms,  or other documents. even to sign my own name right.

Driving & driving hard,  was my escape from my anxiety & problems.  practicing/developing my skills,  threshold braking,  deliberately losing control in wet to learn to gather it back again.  cornering etc.   running out of brakes downhill because of drum brake fade...  learnt on cross-ply tyres first,  in ordinary soft sprung cars.

I already had precise judgement,  for overtaking, etc,,,  however I wouldn't attempt those passes today.  hair raising.

that was my saving escape.

I've found now that my social cues are different to others in the community,  so If I'm say 'daydreaming'  whilst I may be looking at a pretty girl, I sometimes get a bad look & weird look from people.

I don't get the twinges (sex, fantasy)  rarely did.   that was stolen from me,   so I now realise,  that my poor upbringing effected me seriously.  just realising now.  & this has caused many different than the norm communication ways

people don't ask,  they guess & assume,,   then they convince themselves of some fantasy in their heads,   then start to gossip about those assumption/fantasies,   as if fact,   then these become sort of fact amongst people,   in the absence of any truth.

......   explains why I sometimes get funny weird looks,  or misunderstand people socially.  differing behavious...   it becomes very isolating,  like being a foreigner in your own country.  unable to speak the lingo.

nobody believes you when you try to tell them the truth...  they assume your lying.

Edited by dee-luded

3 hours ago, daisycutter said:

hate to say it luci but the vatican and "appalling ethics, corruption and double standards" have been bed-fellows for many, many centuries

organised-religion (not necessarily religion) is the problem because it has been allowed to be supposedly "self-regulating" 

my mob is no better - the ex principal at Beth Rivkah ladies college was also doing unspeakable things to students - the answer to that was to ship her off to Israel out of reach...And we all saw what was happening at Yeshivah college....

Spot on about organised religion....

20 minutes ago, nutbean said:

my mob is no better - the ex principal at Beth Rivkah ladies college was also doing unspeakable things to students - the answer to that was to ship her off to Israel out of reach...And we all saw what was happening at Yeshivah college....

Spot on about organised religion....

the yeshivah one seems worse as i understand the victim (whistle-blower) and his family are still virtual outcasts in their own community

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

the yeshivah one seems worse as i understand the victim (whistle-blower) and his family are still virtual outcasts in their own community

correct....what happens in the community stays in the community ( WRONG - when a crime of any magnitude happens in the community - ummm. you contact the police ? that should be obvious)

keeping things  'in house'  is a weakness,  which allows exploitation to occur,  & to continue.   nothing good about silence in the face of exploitation.

this so called  political correctness  is only about people more concerned with so called  'loss of face'  ???   a false face at that.

whether it be around religion,  this silence these days has grown into a custom, nee political correctness,  its a cop-out for people too weak to speak their mind.

17 minutes ago, nutbean said:

correct....what happens in the community stays in the community ( WRONG - when a crime of any magnitude happens in the community - ummm. you contact the police ? that should be obvious)

Apparently so-called liberal pope Francis recently instructed american bishops to NOT go to the cops.

Maybe we can deduce from this that there may be something intrinsically sick in all the Judeo Christian mythology. Or, are all Tribes intrinsically cloistered and insular and afraid of the 'other'?

Whatever, I became a firm atheist when I was 14. It was a courageous decision in a Catholic school. I've remained one ever since. I truly believe all religions are invented by insecure people who are afraid of what they don't and can't know anything about, namely death

http://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/sydney-priest-slams-cardinal-george-pell-in-damning-radio-interview/news-story/fa959ca7f4ac341e65540ef91299bfb6

Sydney priest slams Cardinal George Pell in damning radio interview

A SYDNEY priest of 30 years has slammed Cardinal George Pell’s “appalling” performance while facing the royal commission in to child sex abuse in a damning radio interview.

Father Michael Kelly, a well-known Jesuit priest, took to the ABC airwaves to say what he really thought about the Australian cardinal who he has known for more than 30 years.

“He’s one of the best developed narcissists I’ve ever met in my life,”  he told interviewer Wendy Harmer.

“He’s astonishing at the way in which he can deploy his insensitivity;  he seems just impervious to human experience.”  

The Catholic priest,  who conceded at one point he was sacked by Pell,  was very critical of Pell’s four days on the stand at the commission,  where he gave evidence and was interrogated over his knowledge of systemic sex abuse within the church.  But Father Kelly said he wasn’t surprised.

“I think I share the dismay and disgust of a great many people,  Catholic and others,  with the Cardinal’s display,  and the interesting thing about it of course is it’s just made plain to the world who he is and what he’s like.   This is something of international reach,  but I must say I’m not surprised,”  he said.

“He’s a bully.  He’s just a bully.  He gets exactly what he wants by standing over people,  and as one priest in Melbourne said to me recently,  he has lived by the sword,  he’s going to die by the sword.”

Father Kelly said he agreed with the suggestion of the senior counsel assisting the commission,  Gail Furness,  that much of Pell’s testimony around his lack of knowledge of abuse and paedophilia within the church was “implausible”.

“He can feign a collapsed memory he can say what he likes,” he said.

“This sort of stuff has been talked about among the clergy throughout the country …  it was clearly well known and much discussed in clerical circles,  and if he didn’t hear it,  he must have had plugs in his ears.”

Though he was very critical of the cardinal’s performance on the stand,  Father Kelly said he did see positives in the events in Rome of the past few days.

“(The Vatican) can’t avoid it.   The bottom line is,  George Pell is global news.  He’s a big man and he’s a big bully and he’s got a lot of people off side all around the place.  This particular appalling sequence of interviews and discussions with the royal commission is global news,”  he said.

The priest also used his airtime to praise Australian survivors of sex abuse at the hands of Catholic priests who had travelled to Rome to witness Pell’s testimony and meet with the Vatican’s third-in-charge.

“I think they’ve conducted themselves very responsibly.  The question I’d ask is what’s the point in talking to Pell,” he said.

Parent of abuse victims, Anthony Foster, talks to the press after abuse survivors met Cardinal George Pell. Picture: David Mirzoeff/i-Images

Parent of abuse victims,  Anthony Foster,  talks to the press after abuse survivors met Cardinal George Pell. Picture: David Mirzoeff/i-ImagesSource:News Corp Australia

One parent of victims is Anthony Foster,  whose daughters were abused by a Catholic priest,  leading to having killed herself and the other being seriously disabled.  He said he was not satisfied with the meeting.

“We got somewhere.  I think there’ll be some pretty damning findings about what George Pell did,  but there’s still a long way to go.   George Pell was the auxiliary bishop in our area,  looking after the priests who did that to my girls,”   he said.

read more > http://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/sydney-priest-slams-cardinal-george-pell-in-damning-radio-interview/news-story/fa959ca7f4ac341e65540ef91299bfb6

• Like 1

http://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/sydney-priest-slams-cardinal-george-pell-in-damning-radio-interview/news-story/fa959ca7f4ac341e65540ef91299bfb6

Sydney priest slams Cardinal George Pell in damning radio interview

A SYDNEY priest of 30 years has slammed Cardinal George Pell’s “appalling” performance while facing the royal commission in to child sex abuse in a damning radio interview.

Father Michael Kelly, a well-known Jesuit priest, took to the ABC airwaves to say what he really thought about the Australian cardinal who he has known for more than 30 years.

“He’s one of the best developed narcissists I’ve ever met in my life,”  he told interviewer Wendy Harmer.

“He’s astonishing at the way in which he can deploy his insensitivity;  he seems just impervious to human experience.”  

The Catholic priest,  who conceded at one point he was sacked by Pell,  was very critical of Pell’s four days on the stand at the commission,  where he gave evidence and was interrogated over his knowledge of systemic sex abuse within the church.  But Father Kelly said he wasn’t surprised.

“I think I share the dismay and disgust of a great many people,  Catholic and others,  with the Cardinal’s display,  and the interesting thing about it of course is it’s just made plain to the world who he is and what he’s like.   This is something of international reach,  but I must say I’m not surprised,”  he said.

“He’s a bully.  He’s just a bully.  He gets exactly what he wants by standing over people,  and as one priest in Melbourne said to me recently,  he has lived by the sword,  he’s going to die by the sword.”

Father Kelly said he agreed with the suggestion of the senior counsel assisting the commission,  Gail Furness,  that much of Pell’s testimony around his lack of knowledge of abuse and paedophilia within the church was “implausible”.

“He can feign a collapsed memory he can say what he likes,” he said.

“This sort of stuff has been talked about among the clergy throughout the country …  it was clearly well known and much discussed in clerical circles,  and if he didn’t hear it,  he must have had plugs in his ears.”

Though he was very critical of the cardinal’s performance on the stand,  Father Kelly said he did see positives in the events in Rome of the past few days.

“(The Vatican) can’t avoid it.   The bottom line is,  George Pell is global news.  He’s a big man and he’s a big bully and he’s got a lot of people off side all around the place.  This particular appalling sequence of interviews and discussions with the royal commission is global news,”  he said.

The priest also used his airtime to praise Australian survivors of sex abuse at the hands of Catholic priests who had travelled to Rome to witness Pell’s testimony and meet with the Vatican’s third-in-charge.

“I think they’ve conducted themselves very responsibly.  The question I’d ask is what’s the point in talking to Pell,” he said.

Parent of abuse victims, Anthony Foster, talks to the press after abuse survivors met Cardinal George Pell. Picture: David Mirzoeff/i-Images

Parent of abuse victims,  Anthony Foster,  talks to the press after abuse survivors met Cardinal George Pell. Picture: David Mirzoeff/i-ImagesSource:News Corp Australia

One parent of victims is Anthony Foster,  whose daughters were abused by a Catholic priest,  leading to having killed herself and the other being seriously disabled.  He said he was not satisfied with the meeting.

“We got somewhere.  I think there’ll be some pretty damning findings about what George Pell did,  but there’s still a long way to go.   George Pell was the auxiliary bishop in our area,  looking after the priests who did that to my girls,”   he said.

read more > http://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/sydney-priest-slams-cardinal-george-pell-in-damning-radio-interview/news-story/fa959ca7f4ac341e65540ef91299bfb6

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/pells-answers-made-his-lack-of-empathy-for-abuse-victims-apparent-20160303-gn9q4r.html#ixzz41z27dGke
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Pell's answers made his lack of empathy for abuse victims apparent

Date
Jacqueline Maley

Jacqueline Maley

Cardinal George Pell was punctilious in his responses.   Occasionally his irritation surfaced,  the response of a man who doesn't answer to earthly authorities given he has a direct line to God.

"The thing that amazed,  even after all these years,  was his lack of affect,  his inability to show tenderness to the victims of rape,  beatings and other,  more imaginative forms of torture by priests"  like, say,  the stabbing of a live bird with a screwdriver in front of the children who are your defenceless charges.

Illustration: Glen Le Lievre

Illustration: Glen Le Lievre

The alleged bird-stabber was Peter Searson, a Melbourne priest who was almost certainly a psychopath as well as a paedophile. 

Asked about the bird incident, Pell told the royal commission:   "I don't know whether the bird was already dead but at some stage I certainly was informed of this bizarre happening."

Counsel assisting the royal commission Gail Furness, SC,  spoke for anyone who has ever possessed an ounce of empathy and/or a beating human heart when she replied,  incredulous: "Does it matter whether the bird was dead?"

Complaints about Searson were legion.    He pulled a gun on students.    He held a knife to a victim's chest and threatened to plunge it into her.     And of course,  he sexually abused kids,  although they didn't call it that then.

Those were different times,   "people had different attitudes then",   as Pell reminded us.

That was one of his defences.   But the problem was each of the cardinal's defences was logically incompatible with the others.

"I don't think I was obliged to do anything more,"  he said when questioned about his anaemic response to a delegation who came to him with complaints about Searson.

Which was funny,  because in earlier evidence,  Pell presented himself as a sort of crusader,  a superman in swirling priestly skirts,  a young Turk who  "was known to be capable of being outspoken".

That was the reason why his superiors and peers had hidden from him the rampant paedophilic activities of priests in his orbit.   They were afraid Pell would make trouble.

Two really interesting articles and thanks to those who put them in for the benefit of us. I too have a personal interest in these events.

With Pell, having watched the RC somewhat continuously,  it's almost like, if it's not the terminology that was used on the day, he has a license to deny it being true.

Take for example the word "Paedophelia"  alternatively in those days was used "predisposition to homosexual activity against children"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, willmoy said:

Two really interesting articles and thanks to those who put them in for the benefit of us. I too have a personal interest in these events.

With Pell, having watched the RC somewhat continuously,  it's almost like, if it's not the terminology that was used on the day, he has a license to deny it being true.

Take for example the word "Paedophelia"  alternatively in those days was used "predisposition to homosexual activity against children"

this is the RC excuse they use via their chosen ignorance.  a suitable to them excuse for not reporting any sexual abuse & rape of kids. 

....  the fact the churches cannot be prosecuted only aids them to make silence their accomplice in crime.  it is time that they can be prosecuted & also sued in courts of our laws. 

& get rid of this stupid:  "see no evil,  hear no evil,  report no evil",,,    this is the biggest tool they have in the priests & others arse-nal. 

its time they shared Jail cells with big angry men.