Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Roos handball to Goodwin

stuie

Was actually interesting listening this morning. Roosy really lit up when talking about Goody and the handover.

"He's really running the game plan side of things in terms of meetings and making sure our training sessions look good. I'm probably stepping back from that and overseeing it," Roos has told Breakfast with Frank and Ox.

I'm going to be balls-out negative here despite the inevitable backlash -

It better turn out that Goodwin can actually coach and that Roos' alleged positive impact on the 'culture' of the club turns out to genuinely make a lasting improvement

At this point Roos has had a decent return, but we are still miles off. He has banked some serious coin and seems to be phoning in his third year.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

It better turn out that Goodwin can actually coach and that Roos' alleged positive impact on the 'culture' of the club turns out to genuinely make a lasting improvement

At this point Roos has had a decent return, but we are still miles off. He has banked some serious coin and seems to be phoning in his third year.

At $1.5 million, still with the exchange rate drop he probably needs all that to go to Hawaii.

2 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

My perception has always been Roos was brought in almost as more of a "club consultant" rather than a coach in the traditional sense. He's working to make sure the culture is ingrained, the staff are top quality and on the same page, and the players have good habits (his buzzword).

I'm banking on his influence being more long lasting and sustained from his expertise in culture and habit-forming, rather than expecting an immediate impact. I was hoping for that big turnaround, but I've tempered my expectations for it to be more gradual and long lasting than immediate and quickly dissipated.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

My perception has always been Roos was brought in almost as more of a "club consultant" rather than a coach in the traditional sense. He's working to make sure the culture is ingrained, the staff are top quality and on the same page, and the players have good habits (his buzzword).

I'm banking on his influence being more long lasting and sustained from his expertise in culture and habit-forming, rather than expecting an immediate impact. I was hoping for that big turnaround, but I've tempered my expectations for it to be more gradual and long lasting than immediate and quickly dissipated.

I guess we will never know if he deserves to be credited/blamed if we succeed/fail. In a few years, regardless of how we are going,  it will impossible to gauge how much impact he has actually had compared to Goodwin and everyone else.

4 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

I personally don't think there was anyone else out there, apart from someone unrealistic like Clarkson, who could have gotten us to this point right now.  We were so far behind the rest that we were in danger of become irrelevant for a very, very long time.

Roos has changed that immensely.  He has turned over the list, the club has drafted and traded well and we are just beginning to see the fruits of his labour.  Saying that Roos is'phoning in' his third year is a little harsh but, at the same time, he should be handing the reigns over to Goodwin more so once the pre-season of 2017 rolls around we hit the ground running.

I understand the negativity, although you did go negative very quickly on most things these days, but I don't think there is anyone else out there who could have made the impact that Roos has over just a couple of seasons.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Curry & Beer said:

I guess we will never know if he deserves to be credited/blamed if we succeed/fail. In a few years, regardless of how we are going,  it will impossible to gauge how much impact he has actually had compared to Goodwin and everyone else.

I disagree. I think whatever happen over the next 5 years, at least, will be due to Roos. He's put the people in place, he's set the standards and habits, he's responsible for this whole setup and groundwork. How many coaches has this club seen off in the last 15 years? That's a cultural problem, which is what Roos has been brought in to fix.

• Like 4

roos said from day 1 the plan was to develop a handover coach. part of that must mean handing some of the reins over to the coach in-waiting whilst roos is still there

you can't complain when all roos is doing is executing the plan that was always the strategy

whether goodwin turns out to be the coach we all want/need only time will tell, but at the moment all is going to plan

• Like 15

I've been off the vino for a couple of weeks - one of my irregular health breaks.

If it wasn't for that I'd reckon I was hallucinating! Curry and Stu and Wise all agreeing and OD and Dr Hopping Dick adding likes!!!

Back to the grog for me.

EDIT. Stu's above post returned a semblance of reality.

Edited by Bitter but optimistic
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, stuie said:

I disagree. I think whatever happen over the next 5 years, at least, will be due to Roos. He's put the people in place, he's set the standards and habits, he's responsible for this whole setup and groundwork. How many coaches has this club seen off in the last 15 years? That's a cultural problem, which is what Roos has been brought in to fix.

agreed... the pull to work with Roos has been attractive to  players  and assistant coaches alike at a time when the club was decidely on the nose. Would vince or Garlett or Harry  be with us if not for Roos? Would McCartney have got on board? Roos has been massive for the club in so many ways. Worth every cent imo. 

• Like 6

I think everything is going exactly to plan and expected this easing of responsibility in this final year for Roos.

But how much of our current position is down to Roos, and how much is down to the Jackson/Bartlett administration getting the bigger picture stuff sorted? I guess the onfield and off-field stuff need to be separated.

Also, given most of our assistants are "Roos people", how many will stay on beyond this year?

4 minutes ago, DemonDave said:

I think everything is going exactly to plan and expected this easing of responsibility in this final year for Roos.

But how much of our current position is down to Roos, and how much is down to the Jackson/Bartlett administration getting the bigger picture stuff sorted? I guess the onfield and off-field stuff need to be separated.

Also, given most of our assistants are "Roos people", how many will stay on beyond this year?

It's important that the on-field & off-field stuff is unified and working together. It's also important that each person & each area know what role they play and don't meddle in areas they shouldn't.

Jackson has been the key appointment and everything else has been generated from there. His role can't be underplayed.

As for 'Roos people', I think we have seen Goodwin put his stamp on recent appointments with McCartney & Jennings...Experience is key but also not at the expense of developing new people like Cross.

We got it badly wrong in the Neeld era having a lot inexperience around the club. This is the first thing Jackson addressed and partly why Roos brought Stone in for the short term.

We seem to have the balance right, let's hope we keep it that way...

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, DemonDave said:

Its the 10,000 dollar question isn't it. My sense is that people generally like to feel stablity where they're working and if the club is trending upwards everyone shares in responsibility for that ( success has many fathers while failure is an orphan) So, given the behind the scenes culture stays relatively good and the club is improving why would they leave. It just makes next years on field results even more crucial imo

38 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

agreed... the pull to work with Roos has been attractive to  players  and assistant coaches alike at a time when the club was decidely on the nose. Would vince or Garlett or Harry  be with us if not for Roos? Would McCartney have got on board? Roos has been massive for the club in so many ways. Worth every cent imo. 

Not sure I would have mentioned Harry, after his stinker of a year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

I personally don't think there was anyone else out there, apart from someone unrealistic like Clarkson, who could have gotten us to this point right now.  We were so far behind the rest that we were in danger of become irrelevant for a very, very long time.

Roos has changed that immensely.  He has turned over the list, the club has drafted and traded well and we are just beginning to see the fruits of his labour.  Saying that Roos is'phoning in' his third year is a little harsh but, at the same time, he should be handing the reigns over to Goodwin more so once the pre-season of 2017 rolls around we hit the ground running.

I understand the negativity, although you did go negative very quickly on most things these days, but I don't think there is anyone else out there who could have made the impact that Roos has over just a couple of seasons.

We were in such a bad state we needed a big name coach. Anyone else would just be more of the same and the Jack Watts of the world could keep blaming the player development.

We got the best coach and Jack Watt's is coming on nicely, we have the rising star, and 2016 is the year of the demon.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DemonDave said:

Fair point there DD.

Jackson has been just as important, if not more, than Roos in helping to turn the club around.  The fact he has stayed on and continued to do such good work is one of the best things to happen to our club in a long time.  The Jackson/Roos combination has sent us in the right direction - we aren't there yet, of course - but we are looking better than we have in a long time.

Just now, Wrecker45 said:

We were in such a bad state we needed a big name coach. Anyone else would just be more of the same and the Jack Watts of the world could keep blaming the player development.

We got the best coach and Jack Watt's is coming on nicely, we have the rising star, and 2016 is the year of the demon.

Spot on with the bolded bit, and Roos was the best we could get.  He came at a price but it hasn't hurt the club in the slightest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuie said:

I watched the Open Mike episode with Robbie Flower for the first time recently (brillinat TV btw) and he was asked about Barassi. Robbie said that even though they weren't successful whilst he was coach the success of the late 80's and 90s would not have occurred if not for his influence. Said he introduced a much more professional culture from preparation, training habits, mindset and game day.His legacy was the culture he built.  Said when he first arrived he stripped everything back to basics, for example doing kicking drills and using both feet. Sounds very familiar. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, DemonDave said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about people staying on or not. There is always turnover at clubs in coaching ranks. Roos himself may hang around in another capacity. I believe this has been flagged already. If we are successful they will hang around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

roos said from day 1 the plan was to develop a handover coach. part of that must mean handing some of the reins over to the coach in-waiting whilst roos is still there

you can't complain when all roos is doing is executing the plan that was always the strategy

whether goodwin turns out to be the coach we all want/need only time will tell, but at the moment all is going to plan

Agreed. Don't forget that Roos initially signed on for two years, and possibly a third. Had we picked up Stewart Dew as the successor in 2014, Roos may have already finished by now ..

I'd love to hand off most of my job responsibilities and still be paid many times more than the bloke doing all the work.

I can't believe the unconditional love for Roos around here. He only took the job because we gave him a pile of money too big to jump over, and has hardly embraced the club with open arms like he did at Sydney. Will he finally start using "we" this year, or do we have to endure another 12 months of "they".

I would argue that the quality of recruits has been really poor given the status of the coach. Vince and Cross were good, but there was hardly great demand for their services. Lumumba is a bust and was overpriced. Ditto Melksham. There is certainly nobody approaching an A grader on that list, and we are clearly no closer to being a destination club.

Good luck to Roos - he has been paid a fortune over the journey and can spend this year doing media and whatever else takes his fancy, without forgoing his wage or his title. But I sure as hell hope that his self-appointed replacement knows what he is doing or we will be back here again in 5 years.

• Like 1

- Roos was behind the Salem/Tyson deal. 

- There is a difference between being a natural competitor and having a love of the contest.

- Do Roos non negotiables apply to everyone ?

- What does Goodwin personally think about Watts/Grimes/Dawes ? Are all three gone at years end?

- I think the focusing on the culture is about Roos ramming it down the throats of the younger players. Some senior players have bought in and some never will get it. 

- If Goodwin has an attacking game plan let's see it. 

• Like 2

Just now, poita said:

I'd love to hand off most of my job responsibilities and still be paid many times more than the bloke doing all the work.

I can't believe the unconditional love for Roos around here. He only took the job because we gave him a pile of money too big to jump over, and has hardly embraced the club with open arms like he did at Sydney. Will he finally start using "we" this year, or do we have to endure another 12 months of "they".

I would argue that the quality of recruits has been really poor given the status of the coach. Vince and Cross were good, but there was hardly great demand for their services. Lumumba is a bust and was overpriced. Ditto Melksham. There is certainly nobody approaching an A grader on that list, and we are clearly no closer to being a destination club.

Good luck to Roos - he has been paid a fortune over the journey and can spend this year doing media and whatever else takes his fancy, without forgoing his wage or his title. But I sure as hell hope that his self-appointed replacement knows what he is doing or we will be back here again in 5 years.

Alright, I'll bite.

Roos was paid a premium, helped in part by the AFL, but as stated above he has played a big role (with Peter Jackson) in beginning to turn the club around.  We've still got plenty of hard work ahead by I don't think anyone else could have coached us to 7 wins last year, and we could have had 10 if we hadn't given up a few easy games.

Vince and Cross are excellent recruits.  Lumumba, I'll agree, has been poor so far.  Melksham can't be considered a bust yet, or overpriced for that matter.  We've also been able to draft some excellent players in his time at the club, although that obviously doesn't sit solely at his feet.

No one approaching A grader?  I would have thought we had a number of players with that potential.  Hogan, McDonald, Brayshaw, Viney, Gawn...  they aren't there yet, but they have the potential to get there.

Lastly - I have no idea why you still support Melbourne.  In 600 odd posts I've never seen you even try and to say something positive about the club in any way, shape or form.  That's sad really.  

• Like 16

26 minutes ago, poita said:

At what point do the players become accountable?