Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts in 2016?

Fitz Fitzpatrick

10 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

The best thing about 2016 for Jack is that he is irrelevant.

He is not the saviour he is nobody. Time for Jack to cement a spot

While I agree with you to a certain degree in that he is now not seen as the Messiah, the 23+ pages on this thread plus the number of other threads dedicated to him on this forum indicates that supporters still place him under a microscope and critique every one of his actions.  No matter what he or the team does from this point forward, I am confident that he will be heavily scrutinized until the day he retires.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, That's a Stretch said:

Worth a listen, very funny in general but Melbourne and Jack get a mention. Watch "2035 3AW news bulletin" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/qtqZnLk43_o

Hahaha that is an absolute classic

elwood under water!!

9 hours ago, bingers said:

I agree that his tackling is pathetic.. And he needs to make a contest when it's his turn to "go".

But one thing I've noticed is that quite often his teammates seem to ignore his leads. Or am I just imagining that?

When he leads he doesn't command the ball or run to dangerous spots.  

He tends to do lots of small token leads to positions on the ground that aren't all that dangerous.

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

He tends to do lots of small token leads to positions on the ground that aren't all that dangerous.

And you think that is wrong? Running to a spot where he can get the ball,  is a fault of his?  Sounds smart to me. 

Now let me think about that, run for the easy pass, in other words make position,  or run to somewhere dangerous, where my team mate might struggle with his skills to get it to me, or it may be knocked away and the other side rebound and goal.

Dunstall made a career out of it. Look back at the replays and you will see him Dunstall leading away from the pack  and the ball carrier, for a soft chip pass. Got most of his goals that way.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Redleg said:

And you think that is wrong? Running to a spot where he can get the ball,  is a fault of his?  Sounds smart to me. 

Now let me think about that, run for the easy pass, in other words make position,  or run to somewhere dangerous, where my team mate might struggle with his skills to get it to me, or it may be knocked away and the other side rebound and goal.

Dunstall made a career out of it. Look back at the replays and you will see him Dunstall leading away from the pack  and the ball carrier, for a soft chip pass. Got most of his goals that way.

Correct, the other thing he is doing is creating space and often draws an opponent. 

Nothing worse than when at the footy, watts has lead to open space is looked to be used, poor kick by a team mate resulting in a turn over and then some bozo in the crowd "that's your man watts". Pet hate

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Well it's obviously not working for Watts is it.

59 minutes ago, binman said:

Maybe a few of the naysayers should view this footage! I suspect that they will accuse binman of doctoring up the footage however as it contains a) contested possessions, b) tackles and c) elite disposal, all of which should prove a revelation to many on this site!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CBDees said:

Maybe a few of the naysayers should view this footage! I suspect that they will accuse binman of doctoring up the footage however as it contains a) contested possessions, b) tackles and c) elite disposal, all of which should prove a revelation to many on this site!

A couple of nice grabs in there too! had to laugh though when the accurate one Leigh Matthews said how good his hands are.

The anti watts faction - woops i know people don't being labelled Watts bashers for pointing out his flaws - will point out his career highlights seem pretty short

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Well it's obviously not working for Watts is it.

Well yes and no.

As others have pointed out, when he runs to position, he is often ignored or given a poor pass. 

He is not great at the hard stuff, I agree and that can be very frustrating for the fans, but not all players are.

Hopefully he improves that part of his game.

Where he is useful is in being one of the leading goal assists in the team, which he is, being a great kick for goal and around the field and a player who rarely takes the wrong option.

He will now need to work harder, which hopefully he will do in a better Demons side, which we now have.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Redleg said:

Well yes and no.

As others have pointed out, when he runs to position, he is often ignored or given a poor pass. 

He is not great at the hard stuff, I agree and that can be very frustrating for the fans, but not all players are.

Hopefully he improves that part of his game.

Where he is useful is in being one of the leading goal assists in the team, which he is, being a great kick for goal and around the field and a player who rarely takes the wrong option.

He will now need to work harder, which hopefully he will do in a better Demons side, which we now have.

It's no coincidence that he constantly gets ignored, he's doing something wrong.

As I stated, he makes weak leads, doesn't command the ball and runs to the wrong positions, that's why he is ignored.

8 hours ago, binman said:

I love the tackle at the ~8 min mark of Varcoe being tackled.  Then camera goes to Buckley and you can see him mouth "What the f*** is that?".  

I won't lie, my first reaction was to chuckle and imagine Buckley thinking that he just saw Watts tackle someone.

• Like 2

His best is exceptional.

Plays beautifully when sober.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 11:31 AM, binman said:

A great compilation that shows the skill he has, he has been a major contributor in many of our few wins over the last few years, he is not a player I would like to loose. I think some fans are expecting too much from Jack which often turns to harsh criticism when he does not tackle as well as they believe he could. He will have his off days, weeks and maybe years, but then what players have not. As our team gets better I would hope that will a. take pressure of jack. and b. allow him to get better delivery from players up field.

On 26 December 2015 at 8:14 AM, furious d said:

I said 4 of those 6, so clearly nothing hinges on any 2 of them.

Lumumba had a shocker last year, I expect significant improvement this year. 

Unlike you and others I haven't written Grimes off yet, just like I never gave up on Nev Jetta. Grimes played ok last season,  his confidence is still shot though. When he gets the ball his first thought is to not stuff up, so he takes too long looking for the safest option. He needs to think less. I'm not sure he can get over the scars of his career so far but if he does he'll be best 22 for sure.

22 hours ago, binman said:

A couple of nice grabs in there too! had to laugh though when the accurate one Leigh Matthews said how good his hands are.

The anti watts faction - woops i know people don't being labelled Watts bashers for pointing out his flaws - will point out his career highlights seem pretty short

I would argue some of the contested marks early in his career were great, what happened?

one thing is noticeable is the relative lack of muscle development through the core, in the thighs, and across the shoulders and in the biceps.

he has thickened out somewhat, but he was a super skinny kid when he came in, and he's a pretty skinny man now.

he's long and lean. perhaps he should've been a swimmer.