Jump to content

Freddy Fuschia

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CLAYTON OLIVER

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

SaberFang - I hope you aren't an alias for Chris (The Joker) Connolly!

Could have us pinged for some yet to be defined offence.

Just hope Brock McLean doesn't log on here! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great 50th game.  How lucky are we to have this 20 year old player ?

It would be interesting to know how his stats rank after 50 games compared to many of the game's best.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ProDee said:

A great 50th game.  How lucky are we to have this 20 year old player ?

It would be interesting to know how his stats rank after 50 games compared to many of the game's best.  

well haydon bunton senior had 2 brownlows in his first 40 games

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

well haydon bunton senior had 2 brownlows in his first 40 games

Wasn’t he older when he first played? Early 20s in his first vfl season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gorgoroth said:

Wasn’t he older when he first played? Early 20s in his first vfl season?

19 in his first game - turned 20 on 5th july (about 14 games in?)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

THE "CLARRY CHOO CHOO EXPRESS" LANDING AT A STATION NEAR YOU! NEXT STOP JOLIMONT! SAT 14TH JULY 4.30 PM.

image.jpeg.d1668ea6e0fb366d1fbaf608fd2b8dbd.jpeg

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ProDee said:

A great 50th game.  How lucky are we to have this 20 year old player ?

It would be interesting to know how his stats rank after 50 games compared to many of the game's best.  

He was best on ground again last night. Absolutely brilliant young player. In recent memory, only Joel Selwood and Chris Judd have had similar impact in their first 50 games, but I’d wager Clarry bests them both statistically.

Oliver is a rare talent. If he starts hitting the scoreboard more regularly he’ll quickly become a top 5 in the league player. Very happy he’s in red and blue!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be the first Dees player to be offered a long term contract over $1m p.a (not by us)

 

Kid is a superstar in the making.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not easy to compare him to Judd or G Williams (the two players I feel he shares most similarity with) because neither had contested possessions tracked early in their careers.

Here is Clarry compared with Judd in his second season (he played his 50th game in the 2006 I believe).

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=12&pid1=4166&fid1=C&playerStatus2=I&tid2=4&pid2=109&fid2=P&fopt2=2006&type=A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Will be the first Dees player to be offered a long term contract over $1m p.a (not by us)

 

Kid is a superstar in the making.

$cully already got that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

Will be the first Dees player to be offered a long term contract over $1m p.a (not by us)

 

Kid is a superstar in the making.

 

26 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

$cully already got that.

Yeah, but that was offered by Vlad and an artificial club in their set up period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, faultydet said:

Will be the first Dees player to be offered a long term contract over $1m p.a (not by us)

 

Kid is a superstar in the making.

He’s a superstar already 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people see him as just an in and under contested ball type but some of the ways he actually gets and disposes of the ball are quite magical.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

$cully already got that.

Scully was not a "real" case though.

The AFL backed (and funded) him going, as a P.R coup for their new pet franchise, and as such, I didnt consider him. 

 

Imagine what Norf will offer him once his contract is up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

$cully already got that.

Yeah but Clarry a much more genuine champion in the making and bloke!! not like some!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

A lot of people see him as just an in and under contested ball type but some of the ways he actually gets and disposes of the ball are quite magical.

I agree, and add some regular cameos up forward (like yesterday!) and he will hit the headlines, big time.

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd struggle to find a better first 50 games from any player to pull on the red and blue let alone the competition. The kid will be a genuine superstar.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2018 at 9:59 PM, Pates said:

You'd struggle to find a better first 50 games from any player to pull on the red and blue let alone the competition. The kid will be a genuine superstar.

Paul Roos agrees with you Pates:  Oliver's stunning first 50 games

I'm particularly interested in Gerard Healy's view: "But on the outside, he can break open sides (with his foot speed) and I can see him being a dominant mid-forward, just like Dusty Martin."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I liked that way he kicked that goal in Q3. Marks on an angle, walks with back to umpire while reducing the angle, ignores the umpire trying to put him on line and plays on to kick the goal starting from where he shouldn't be. 

It has annoyed me for years that this is allowed, and annoyed me even more that MFC players didn't do this when other teams did.  Cynic in me says watch out for 'rule/interpretation' change now that we have a player smart enough to do it.  Though why it required much 'smart' is beyond me.

Edited by sue
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious Question:

 

Oliver had less possessions, but I thought was super damaging (starting more effective chains of possession) on the weekend so he got 4 votes for me and I was debating 5., in many ways I thought the game marked a new level for him actually. Donc.

What do you think - Is Clarry as good as he gets?, or is he just a new player who still has another two years of progression before he really hits (his personal) straps?

I realized I had thought he had reached his potential sooner than most, I now think he in two years will be even better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Serious Question:

 

Oliver had less possessions, but I thought was super damaging (starting more effective chains of possession) on the weekend so he got 4 votes for me and I was debating 5., in many ways I thought the game marked a new level for him actually. Donc.

What do you think - Is Clarry as good as he gets?, or is he just a new player who still has another two years of progression before he really hits (his personal) straps?

I realized I had thought he had reached his potential sooner than most, I now think he in two years will be even better.

 

Sheeeit BETTER IN ANOTHER TWO YEARS???

SCARRY SCARRY THOUGHT!image.png.44ee328e1af3bc952cc72e712cc7838e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a doubt the best combination of talent, desire and aggression we have had in 20 years. Imagine him at 27? He is our most important player with daylight second.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2015 at 8:00 PM, olisik said:

We missed Ollie Wines, let's not make the same mistake.

 

Imagine this kid in the centre square, will cause explosions with Viney for the next 10 years. Much better prospect then Curnow in my opinion. By far

some things havent changed

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Serious Question:

 

Oliver had less possessions, but I thought was super damaging (starting more effective chains of possession) on the weekend so he got 4 votes for me and I was debating 5., in many ways I thought the game marked a new level for him actually. Donc.

What do you think - Is Clarry as good as he gets?, or is he just a new player who still has another two years of progression before he really hits (his personal) straps?

I realized I had thought he had reached his potential sooner than most, I now think he in two years will be even better.

 

I mull this over every time he puts another paragraph on his legend. Is this what we'll have or will he adapt further. I don't wanna be glass half empty, but I think it's pretty much what we see now. He's taken the criticism and I think doubled his metres gained this year. They put him forward on the weekend for good results. But I think mostly he won't get quicker, or find a bigger tank. The only jump up we might see is 10% when other clubs start playing youth and he's 25+. He is already so professional.

15 minutes ago, whitito said:

Without a doubt the best combination of talent, desire and aggression we have had in 20 years. Imagine him at 27? He is our most important player with daylight second.

 

Genuine question... Who was it 20 years ago that he hasn't overtaken yet? I put this to a mate who was born in the early 70s... who's the best midfielder the clubs seen in your lifetime... and he said Todd Viney. Clarry hasn't quite got the accolades Todd did yet, but I think it's fair to say he'll go past him.

8 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

some things havent changed

That's amazing. I remember seeing it when he was drafted and thinking, ok yeah, sure, but is he quick enough? I didn't know that that wasn't just his highlights. That's every contest he goes into. His pattern recognition and ability to understand when his opposition is off balance... he's like a Jedi.

Man, the recruiters really do earn their money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

.............

Genuine question... Who was it 20 years ago that he hasn't overtaken yet? I put this to a mate who was born in the early 70s... who's the best midfielder the clubs seen in your lifetime... and he said Todd Viney. Clarry hasn't quite got the accolades Todd did yet, but I think it's fair to say he'll go past him.

I can go back to the '70's. Most of the best midfielders I've seen for us are wingers. Flower, Johnson, Alves & Tingay chief among them. To use an old term the best centreman / ruck rover types (which is the category I put Oliver in for the purpose of comparison)  are IMO Viney and for a couple of years Brian Wilson. Better than both of them was Greg Wells. You can argue that he hasn't gone past those three yet but we are reflecting on their careers and he's played just over 50 games. I believe that by the time he chalks up 100, the question won't need asking. He'll be a mile in front

The Jedi reference is good - even as recently as the last 3 weeks he's done something in each game that's left me gobsmacked. His ball control at pace is unbelievable

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×