2015 Player Review - # 18 Daniel Cross

38 posts in this topic

Official off field role with the club.

Very happy about this.

Thrilled!

Great news for him and the club.

Rehab and development coach.

At least we get one win this week.

Simply a fantastic guy to have around a footy club.

Great news and makes his delisting a little less disappointing....although I think we could have used him on the field. Very happy though he is staying with the Dees.

Here is the article http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-10-06/cross-remains-with-club-in-offfield-role

Accepted a position as development and rehabilitation coach.

It sounds like he had other chances but chose the Dees. “What clinched it for me was the emotional attachment I have for the playing group. I feel like I’ve been part of the rebuild since Roosy [Paul Roos] came to the club.

Good to see we are giving retiring players a chance to develop themselves further.

#: 32   Posted (edited)

Will be the match day runner too!

Not a great job for him. Reckon Daniel will find it difficult to run out on the field and not hunt the ball and tackle blokes.

There is only one runner allowed I think these days. You need someone who doesn't go near the ball and can run all day, but he left to play for GWS.

Edited by fndee

Not a great job for him. Reckon Daniel will find it difficult to run out on the field and not hunt the ball and tackle blokes.

There is only one runner allowed I think these days. You need someone who doesn't go near the ball and can run all day, but he left to play for GWS.

I think he will be great as a runner, take advantage of his leadership skills, knows how we want to play, knows the players well, been out there with them before, will still be able to help the young kids directly on game day with his experience and instruction.

Big tick for the MFC considering he recently said he had multiple offers from other clubs. Crossy must think we are heading on the right direction and we should all be very glad hes staying on board. He and Brendan McCartney will make a hell of a development duo.

2 people like this

It's just going to show that the people who matter can see we are doing things the right way.
While I was disappointed with the decision on Crossy, perhaps the thing that got him over the line as a coach was that he was treated with at least some dignity when the decision was made. As far as I can tell, Crossy and his agent put a bit of pressure on the club to give him an answer regarding his future prior to the last game of the year. With the pressure on to make a decision, the club decided that if they had to make the call right then and there then it sadly was a no.
While delisting people is a normal part of footy, how things are handled can make a huge difference regarding whether a player actually wants anything further to do with a club after they retire. (See McDonald, J)

Gee I am happy about this. We need guys like him around the club.

Excellent news....people are starting to stick around......