Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Petraccattack - back on the paddock

mrtwister

Pro I am glad you got a laugh. But I think you missed my point. Petracca has not played a game yet, we all have our fingers crossed hoping he is a gun but comments about his massive build is no indicator of future success as we all know. I was trying to point out that a build like his which is almost identical to the likes of Kekovich of the 70's once gave one an advantage but not in the modern era of hard running, endurance midfielders who carry much less muscle these days. Anyway I am sure this will have you fits.

Thanks Earl. I was trying to match the body shape - in the vid he reminded me of someone, not Kekka or Kink (although reminiscent of those as well) as you alluded to but rather the big Dipper. Just the tree trunk legs and lower core to match, he moves like my memory of Dipierdomenico. If he ends up with a Charlie after turning up for the free feed my (sad little Demon) life would be almost complete (would need a premiership or 5 to match as well!)

• Like 1

you mean like swanny?

Well yes DC if he has Swanny's ability to read where the ball is going to be but that is what I was trying to say in the first place. I best give up my point, that was that Petracca's extraordinary build is no real advantage in modern footy unless you have half a dozen other tricks in your kit. Anyway let us move on he is going to be a gun, its obvious, just look at him.

Pro I am glad you got a laugh. But I think you missed my point. Petracca has not played a game yet, we all have our fingers crossed hoping he is a gun but comments about his massive build is no indicator of future success as we all know. I was trying to point out that a build like his which is almost identical to the likes of Kekovich of the 70's once gave one an advantage but not in the modern era of hard running, endurance midfielders who carry much less muscle these days. Anyway I am sure this will have you fits.

but to state the obvious, there are clearly advantages to this body type also, namely the ability to be strong in contests, break and make tackles etc. I went to about 7 pre-season training sessions and I was very excited to see CP, he looked absolutely ready, much more so than BRayshaw. Well, we know how Brayshaw went by comparison. It seems to me that CP is not viewed as solely a midfield talent - he may well end up in the forward half. Of course this will depend heavily on the midfield that develops around him.

For those unaware, 'Knightmare' from bigfooty is considered THE authority on draft prospects. Pasted below is his pre-draft discussion of the Truck, found at:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmare-2014-phantom-draft.1081319/

1. Christian Petracca (VIC – Mid/Fwd)

Height:186cm, Weight: 92kg, DOB: 04/01/1996

Recruited from: Eastern Ranges

Draft range: 1-2

Best position/role: Rotational midfielder/forward.

Strengths:

Front half talent –Petracca can play both deep in the front half as a marking target and off a forward flank to a high standard when playing forward. Deep in the front half Petracca provides strong scoreboard impact and is an imposing marking presence with his 1v1 strength, overhead marking ability, marking on the lead and superior ability to read the drop of the ball. He can deep in the front half also win the ground ball. Petracca can also play off a forward flank and have a big impact, he can on a forward flank accumulate the footy in bunches, do damage with his footskills, present as a strong marking target, provide strong scoreboard impact and push up the field.

Midfield talent – Petracca is an improved midfielder this year having improved his endurance and decreased his skinfolds. He has a nice mix between inside and outside game. He is a very good contested ball winner and stoppage player and these areas of his game can continue to improve given his size and strength. He is a strong ground ball winner. He is a strong tackler. He also has a rare power to him not only with his strength to bully guys inside the contest but some real explosive power where he can burst through a contest, come up with the ball and break away from the contest at speed. He also has excellent evasiveness and can sidestep guys and burst away with some real explosiveness. Some of his work inside by hand finding targets also is impressive. Outside the contest Petracca shows that he can find the footy but also use it really well utilising his damaging footskills and vision allowing him to find damaging targets up the field.

Scoreboard impact – Forward or through the midfield Petracca provides strong scoreboard impact and is capable of kicking multiple goals and breaking games open with his scoreboard impact in any given game whether that be from set shots or in general play.

Strength and power – There are not many 92kg midfielders going around and even fewer with the explosiveness and power of Petracca. He wins his own ball and can either burst through the contest or run around you with ease. He stands up through tackles and has the strength through his core and hips, he can shrug tackles and give a strong don’t argue. In the 1v1 contests he can take advantage of anyone who is not key position sized making him a matchup nightmare.

Versatility – Petracca because he can play not only through the midfield but also on a forward flank or deep in the front half as a marking target gives you options and this versatility should also help him receive immediate senior games on any team.

Footskills – Has an excellent mix between footskills hitting his targets around the ground with consistency, vision allowing him to find some really damaging targets in great position but also he has the finishing ability and set shot goalkicking to allow him to make the most of his opportunities in front of goal. I have also enjoyed some of his kicks to target while tackled showing that even when tackled he can still execute and find his targets.

Marking ability – Few if any medium size types have the marking ability of Petracca. He has the 1v1 marking ability, contested marking ability and ability on the lead to take his marks and he has the strength overhead to take them consistently. He also reads the drop of the ball exceptionally well and uses his body well in the contest allowing him to effectively protect the drop zone making him incredibly hard to defend particularly if he can isolate a smaller player defender deep in defence.

Weaknesses:

Endurance – His endurance is building and has improved significantly this year to an extent where he can play the majority of game time through the midfield, and his endurance testing at the combine was good but if he hopes to eventually become a full time midfielder he will still need to put a further few seasons of work into building that endurance base.

Skinfolds – Like with his endurance his skinfolds have reduced but his skinfolds still appear relatively high and also need to decrease further.

Decision making ability – Petracca’s decision making ability while good most of the time can at times can leave something to be desired. Both by hand and foot Petracca with his touches generally looks to do as much meaningful damage as he can but at times as a result of this he can fail to recognise his limitations which can lead to a poor kick or handball and an overall lower disposal efficiency than he might otherwise have.

What I expect will improve:I expect Petracca to continue to improve his contested ball winning and stoppage work and take that area of his game from good to eventually excellent. I also expect his endurance and skinfolds to improve. I also imagine his disposal efficiency to increase as he improves his decision making ability and better learns when he can do damage and when he needs to go the safe option.

Who he can become?

I anticipate Petracca to develop into a player largely similar to Dustin Martin but without the personal issues. I see Petracca mostly playing as a damaging forward flanker at first who will at times push deeper into the front half splitting his minutes between playing through the front half and midfield with those midfield minutes increasing as he improves his ability up the ground.

When will he be ready to play?

Petracca is season one, round one ready to play. He I imagine will start off season one mostly playing in the front half and by season two or three likely play more a split between forward and midfield minutes.

How to best utilise him?

Petracca today is best utilised at the moment in the front half because he is just so damaging forward of centre. The hope will be that he becomes more a midfielder but I would look for him to split his minutes between the midfield and front half long term as he is a rare weapon forward of centre. Interpretation of his numbers:

Petracca well and truly has the performances on the board and is one of if not the best performed player in this draft class based on his form these past couple of seasons through the TAC Cup and U18 championships. He is finding the footy but also providing heavy scoreboard impact at both levels which such suggests he will provide both a strong immediate impact at AFL level but also that he will become one of the best to come out of this draft with those high production power midfielders who can provide heavy scoreboard impact of strong value to teams.

Petracca's build helps if he is resting forward - which a lot of mids do these days. Nat Fyfe, Dangerfield and Ablett jr are 3 athletic, big bodied midfielders who can rest forward and do serious damage on the scoreboard. All 3 could play as full time forwards. It's just another string to the bow. Not saying Petracca will be as good, but he has similar attributes.

Yep, saw this post after the one I just made - he seems absoluelt that type, Riccuito is another player is has often been compared to. Point is, his build should not be viewed as a midfielder's disadvantage, but rather something that allows him to be very damaging in other roles, particularly in the forward half. A player such as this would be incredibly handy in the current side.

• Like 1

Hes a fair bit taller than Tappy

At 186 cm I doubt he is that much taller. Tappy was 180 cm?

Thanks Earl. I was trying to match the body shape - in the vid he reminded me of someone, not Kekka or Kink (although reminiscent of those as well) as you alluded to but rather the big Dipper. Just the tree trunk legs and lower core to match, he moves like my memory of Dipierdomenico. If he ends up with a Charlie after turning up for the free feed my (sad little Demon) life would be almost complete (would need a premiership or 5 to match as well!)

Jako yes you are right Dipper was a similar build. Off topic But a discussion point would be how would Dipper go these days? He played in great sides, in the days of slower play and plenty of crash and bash and he could intimidate players, at least when he wasn't actually shirtfronting them or just plain king hitting people off the ball. He would still make it given his mental toughness but not sure what elite skills he had.

Well yes DC if he has Swanny's ability to read where the ball is going to be but that is what I was trying to say in the first place. I best give up my point, that was that Petracca's extraordinary build is no real advantage in modern footy unless you have half a dozen other tricks in your kit. Anyway let us move on he is going to be a gun, its obvious, just look at him.

He's over six foot and incredibly strong and that's not an advantage?

• Like 4

Jako yes you are right Dipper was a similar build. Off topic But a discussion point would be how would Dipper go these days? He played in great sides, in the days of slower play and plenty of crash and bash and he could intimidate players, at least when he wasn't actually shirtfronting them or just plain king hitting people off the ball. He would still make it given his mental toughness but not sure what elite skills he had.

Played juniors at Hawthorn back in the day (under 15/17s and then they disbanded the 19s to start up the under 18 comp) was always amazed with seniors there - Dermie an Dipper especially - they would come down and train with us, then train with the 19's and finally with the seniors. Just running machines - would not stop. Were made for the era, High cruising speed and endurance runners, and just focussed. Have no doubt if they trained for today's footy, burst sprinting, that both would excel.

• Like 2

He and Hogan operating in the forward 50 is going to be a nightmare for opponents

I have lost count how many times you have mentioned this kind of comment on certain players before in the past..

How about we just let the kid get through pre season first, get confidence in his knee and then get through the pre season games first.

It will be all about small steps for Petracca especially coming back from a serious injury.

• Like 2

I have lost count how many times you have mentioned this kind of comment on certain players before in the past..

How about we just let the kid get through pre season first, get confidence in his knee and then get through the pre season games first.

It will be all about small steps for Petracca especially coming back from a serious injury.

Yeah nah, I think Ill get excited about him but thanks anyway

• Like 3

Yeah nah, I think Ill get excited about him but thanks anyway

And you will be the first to turn on him the moment he has one bad game.

Your too predictable.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 3

Yeah name one player I have turned on after one bad game.. Ill be waiting. Yet another blatant DazzleDavey lie.

And speaking of predictable - do you ever stay on topic or do you just follow posters around and take cheap shots?

Jeez settle down precious where was the cheap shot in all that?

oh and..

hogans_heroes

hogans_heroes

Red and Blue

• photo-thumb-7667.jpg?_r=1412413622
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 6,621 posts
  • Favourite Player(s):Dean Kent

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

http://www.afl.com.a...ees-begin-talks

MELBOURNE has opened contract negotiations with out-of-contract high-flyer Jeremy Howe, the player who shapes as the Dees' No.1 priority re-signing this year.

Hopeully all goes smoothly. Every club in the land would love a drawcord like Howe playing for them. Damn good footballer too, and hopefully he takes a leap this season into true star status.

hogans_heroes

hogans_heroes

Red and Blue

• Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

Hes gone. Big offer from GWS , all orchestrated by the AFL who want another drawcard at the Giants.

We will get their first rounder in return.

Roos and co ecstatic with the deal. Its overs for a very average inconsistent player.

hogans_heroes

hogans_heroes

Red and Blue

• Members
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

billy2803, on 08 Jul 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:snapback.png

When Kent, Salem, Petracca and JKH are fit/uninjured, where does Howe play?

Casey

hogans_heroes

hogans_heroes

Red and Blue

• Members
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:43 AM

I dont mind one bit if Howe goes, im eager to see if we can bend someone over at the trade table in return for him

We could get a big win here, Howe is average at best but it sounds like some team/teams are keen on him

hogans_heroes

hogans_heroes

Red and Blue

• Members
  • 6,621 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:17 AM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some positive news on Howe too http://www.afl.com.a...-contract-talks

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 5

Considering what this thread was meant to be about, what a pile of [censored] it turned into.

Disappointing.

I'm glad he's back moving around with a ball in his hand already, he must be over the moon.

I'm with HH, I'm excited to see Petracca and Hogan together, adds another dimension and some more physicality.

• Like 7

Better be careful DA or you will have DazzleDavey trying to tell you how to think

He might be right though, maybe we shouldn't say positive things, and just let him do his preseason. If anyone at the club gets wind of our comments the rule is they must not let Petracca have a preseason.

• Like 1

Considering what this thread was meant to be about, what a pile of [censored] it turned into.

Disappointing.

I'm glad he's back moving around with a ball in his hand already, he must be over the moon.

I'm with HH, I'm excited to see Petracca and Hogan together, adds another dimension and some more physicality.

my contribution was to cut-paste somebody else waxing lyrical about a superstar we have waiting to blossom into Hogan/Viney/Brayshaw/Tyson territory

why the long face?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmare-2014-phantom-draft.1081319/

Thx for that C&B...........in the words of BBO........"flogging" required after such a write up, footy porn?

Things that sound that good.........mmmmmmm.....always been wary of myself!

Really looking forward too seeing him play.

Edited by Flemo56

my contribution was to cut-paste somebody else waxing lyrical about a superstar we have waiting to blossom into Hogan/Viney/Brayshaw/Tyson territory

why the long face?

They weren't all bad, if this thread was a toilet block yours was one of the cleaner cubicles.

• Like 1

King hitting off the ball is not mental toughness it's just mental. Thuggery is not football.
  • Like 2