Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Old chestnut - continues to divide and torment many

Soidee

Do either of the Pies or Essendrugs give a cent of the match takings to the Anzac Appeal? As far as I know they dont....

Would be good to know. I thought that they did. In fact, I have a vague feeling that any sport being played on Anzac Day must (a) start after 1.00 pm and (b) give app proceeds to the RSL. There's an Act of Parliament that covers this. I must look it up.

The ANZAC Day Act of 1958 states that, "no sports shall be held on ANZAC Day...without the approval of the Minister" (being the Minister for Sport, I suspect). It also says no sport can start before 1.00 pm, although it doesn't prevent other non-sporting activities being held before 1.00 pm. Importantly, it also says, that the sports must give to the ANZAC Day Proceeds Fund "such portion of the net profit" as directed by the Minister.

The ANZAC Day Proceeds Fund distributes proceeds to "organisations whose principal objective is to provide welfare to the ex-service community" in accordance with the recommendations of the Victorian Veterans Council. So, the proceeds don't necessarily go to the RSL, but they do go to the right place.

Exactly how much the Minister requires the AFL to give to the ANZAC Day Proceeds Fund is not prescribed.

And, I note that in 2003 the Act was amended so that wherever the word ANZAC is used officially (including in the term ANZAC Day), it is to be spelled out all in upper case as I have done here.

• Like 1

which is?

You speak in 1967 "Flower Power" dialect DL

Shrooms are not good for you...

interesting WYL that you speak in those words "shrooms" & I don't know what that is; until know as I typed it, I just guessed as I read my typing that it must be short for mushrooms?

I just don't think like that wyl & I barely drink alcohol either, unless if I go out with friends. Otherwise I don't drink. so are you sure WYL, that the drink hasn't affected your mind then?

so you have taken to talk about an idea with some sort of insult ?

I think the question was, (hang on while I scroll back up to read it), here 'tis >

the AFL isn't the law of the wild or clubs would have died off by now from the past. the Saints, the Hawks, any team who was on they're knees in the past. Its a relatively closed shop as far as clubs are allowed.

so the competition needs to manipulated to allow growth against the tall poppies stealing all the Sunlight & photosynthesis. sorry media spotlight

That's how a community operates.

Hahaha are you living in Nimban now?

Back to the Bongo Drums DL...

WYL we all live within the AFL community.

what was the last suburban club to push up into this competition, & which was the last club to be relegated down from this competition, or just died & disappeared?

here WYL, the question...^^^^ Re the law of the wild; - stay small get eaten.

Edited by dee-luded

interesting WYL that you speak in those words "shrooms" & I don't know what that is; until know as I typed it, I just guessed as I read my typing that it must be short for mushrooms?

I just don't think like that wyl & I barely drink alcohol either, unless if I go out with friends. Otherwise I don't drink. so are you sure WYL, that the drink hasn't affected your mind then?

so you have taken to talk about an idea with some sort of insult ?

I think the question was, (hang on while I scroll back up to read it), here 'tis >

here WYL, the question...^^^^ Re the law of the wild; - stay small get eaten.

You answered it yourself

Stay small get eaten

I gave up reading your posts ages ago, but coudn't help myself with this one, sheesh..."I don't care how many people say it, I am no paranoid", you need to lighten up chap, it is just footy, MFC is in a really good place at the moment both on and off the field, we are slowly climbing out of that hole we dug and fell in

Go away you tiresome little man

Yes The Big Hole that you watched grow deeper and deeper from the inside, but did nothing about it

But when anybody made any comments about the incompetence it was you who always made the most noise that we should accept what the MFC is

Little people like yourself Satyr can be quite dangerous as you will believe anything that is fed to you.

Edited by Sir Why You Little

University

Fitzroy

South Melbourne

North Melbourne should have gone but didn't thus the GC $un$ were invented

What is your point DL??

I think we're talking about since WW2.

---------------------------

so Fitzroy, ---- you mean the Lions, the Brisbane Lions who just had a 3peat about 10 Yrs ago since they took over the bad news Bears

so South Melbourne, --- you mean the Swans, the Sydney Swans who just won a couple of Premierships inside the last 10 years.

& as you fondly call them (nort) North Melbourne should have gone but didn't thus the GC $un$ were invented

Are you saying you want or wanted the Roos to go to the Golds Coast?

I disagree with you WYL, about our fishpond of a competition. we are swimming in our own pond, so if the AFKL let some fish get too big they will just bully the other Fish. that is the law of Nature.

..... so those who put the food into the pond, need to ensure an even spread of feeding takes place, or some fishies will starve to death, by the greed of others.

----------------------------------------

(edit)

your confusing WYL... you seem to want the competition to go back to what it was, Pre the national game, but you wanted the Roos to go up North?

you want free enterprise, but a level playing field financially, your OK with Free agency, but not when we lose a player, so the currently big clubs keep theyr'e advantages whilst you wish for others to grow as well.

where is your balance in all this?

Edited by dee-luded

I think we're talking about since WW2.

---------------------------

so Fitzroy, ---- you mean the Lions, the Brisbane Lions who just had a 3peat about 10 Yrs ago since they took over the bad news Bears

so South Melbourne, --- you mean the Swans, the Sydney Swans who just won a couple of Premierships inside the last 10 years.

& as you fondly call them (nort) North Melbourne should have gone but didn't thus the GC $un$ were invented

Are you saying you want or wanted the Roos to go to the Golds Coast?

I disagree with you WYL, about our fishpond of a competition. we are swimming in our own pond, so if the AFKL let some fish get too big they will just bully the other Fish. that is the law of Nature.

..... so those who put the food into the pond, need to ensure an even spread of feeding takes place, or some fishies will starve to death, by the greed of others.

----------------------------------------

(edit)

your confusing WYL... you seem to want the competition to go back to what it was, Pre the national game, but you wanted the Roos to go up North?

you want free enterprise, but a level playing field financially, your OK with Free agency, but not when we lose a player, so the currently big clubs keep theyr'e advantages whilst you wish for others to grow as well.

where is your balance in all this?

i didn't say anything like the above.

Fitzroy is not Brisbane ok

South Melbourne is not Sydney...They have gone.

I don't want the comp to go back to the way it was...in 1986 it went broke..The VFL ok

What i don't like is the AFL forcing Melbourne clubs off their own turf to a soulless stadium that is privately owned so the are weakened against the interstate teams.

Do you really think Nought Melbourne can survive another 10 years at Etihad without being totally reliant on handouts??

Yesthey should have gone to the Gold Coast when the chance arose. I understand why they fought. But the have no money and a shite stadium deal. 10 more years...

A level playing field does not exist in the modern world, if it ever did. I don't want it. You do

I want the MFC to get stronger. Right now i am concerned that it may not happen because the damage of the last 10 years may be to great.

Free Agency was inevetable. You cannot force employees to stay where they do not want to work.

Until we start to win players will leave

A vicious cycle. Schwab's recipe for disaster could not have happened at a worse time.

This is my concern. Is it too late?

But no i do not want the old AFL. That said 18 teams is far too many.

i didn't say anything like the above.

Fitzroy is not Brisbane ok

South Melbourne is not Sydney...They have gone.

I don't want the comp to go back to the way it was...in 1986 it went broke..The VFL ok

What i don't like is the AFL forcing Melbourne clubs off their own turf to a soulless stadium that is privately owned so the are weakened against the interstate teams.

Do you really think Nought Melbourne can survive another 10 years at Etihad without being totally reliant on handouts??

Yesthey should have gone to the Gold Coast when the chance arose. I understand why they fought. But the have no money and a shite stadium deal. 10 more years...

A level playing field does not exist in the modern world, if it ever did. I don't want it. You do

I want the MFC to get stronger. Right now i am concerned that it may not happen because the damage of the last 10 years may be to great.

Free Agency was inevetable. You cannot force employees to stay where they do not want to work.

Until we start to win players will leave

A vicious cycle. Schwab's recipe for disaster could not have happened at a worse time.

This is my concern. Is it too late?

But no i do not want the old AFL. That said 18 teams is far too many.

a level playing field is the desire of the majority of footy fans, as am I to. I would be satisfied if the AFL took all revenues, & distributed evenly to all clubs in the comp; after it payed the ground leases etc.

but this isn't the current way.

...... but yes an even draw, followed by an even handed spread of blockbuster games delivered evenhandedly to each club, with the gate takings taken by the AFL to be put into club revenues, & payed out evenly.

yes I would be happy enough with this....as a non profit organisation.

• Like 1

a level playing field is the desire of the majority of footy fans, as am I to. I would be satisfied if the AFL took all revenues, & distributed evenly to all clubs in the comp; after it payed the ground leases etc.

but this isn't the current way.

...... but yes an even draw, followed by an even handed spread of blockbuster games delivered evenhandedly to each club, with the gate takings taken by the AFL to be put into club revenues, & payed out evenly.

yes I would be happy enough with this....as a non profit organisation.

You continue to be in the dream state

I expected your answer

You continue to be in the dream state

I expected your answer

WYL you really are on a lone crusade.

if you lived in a state of law of the jungle, you would not survive. its lucky you aren't subjected to the laws of the wild.

as you enjoy living in the community thats been created, you have & very good level of safety & enjoyment, & of others looking out for you. if you had your wish to let the laws of nature dictate, you wouldn't have lasted this long.

but this is the environment we build for one another so we can get by. but exploitation keeps on trying to bend the rules its greedy ways all the time. some have never got enough.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/tax-deal-how-apple-shifts-its-billions-out-of-australia-20140305-347x9.html

your very lucky WYL

Edited by dee-luded

WYL you really are on a lone crusade.

if you lived in a state of law of the jungle, you would not survive. its lucky you aren't subjected to the laws of the wild.

as you enjoy living in the community thats been created, you have & very good level of safety & enjoyment, & of others looking out for you. if you had your wish to let the laws of nature dictate, you wouldn't have lasted this long.

but this is the environment we build for one another so we can get by. but exploitation keeps on trying to bend the rules its greedy ways all the time. some have never got enough.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/tax-deal-how-apple-shifts-its-billions-out-of-australia-20140305-347x9.html

your very lucky WYL

We are talking Football DL

18 teams will not survive

Bottom line

We are talking Football DL

18 teams will not survive

Bottom line

I thought you would see the comparison, & the bottom line is the need for community. not for self, as the community will look out for all in it.

only those who are inwardly insecure, with a strong dash of narcissism, need more that the rest to feel good in themselves.

I thought you would see the comparison, & the bottom line is the need for community. not for self, as the community will look out for all in it.

only those who are inwardly insecure, with a strong dash of narcissism, need more that the rest to feel good in themselves.

you forget 2 things DL

1. The broadcast rights

2. The AFLPA

Your Utopian vision will not happen

I have no problem with Essendon. I have many problems with Collingwood.

During World War 1, the clubs with the highest tally of players serving came from "upper-class" (at the time) clubs: Melbourne, Geelong, St Kilda, South Melbourne.

Essendon had many players serve during the war, but Collingwood was very under-represented: of the four "working class" clubs -- Collingwood, Fitzroy, Richmond and Carlton -- the Pies had by far the lowest amount of players serving.

Melbourne stood aside from the competition and along with University had the highest number of players serving die: 16. In WW2, Melbourne lost a further 13, including ‘Bluey’ Truscott, and the Rat of Tobruk, Ron Barassi Senior.

Collingwood's enlistment was half that of the Lions, Tiges and Blues.

But this pisses me off the most: Melbourne name its best-and-fairest trophies after fallen war heroes, whereas Collingwood named theirs after Copeland and treasurer Bob Rush, who disguised gifts to players and committeemen during the wars as presents to soldiers, when they were anything but.

Also consider that the neighbourhood was mainly Irish Catholic, heavily unionised and against conscription. In the 1916 and 1917 conscription referenda, Collingwood voted against conscription. Whether you agree with conscription or not (I can't see how you would), it seems bizarre that a club so aggressive in its campaign against the wars would be rewarded with arguably the biggest game on the regular season schedule that recognises those who served.

If ANZAC Day was about "tradition", Collingwood most certainly wouldn't be there. The day is about nothing more than branding and corporate exploitation. If it had anything to do with the "ANZACS" and tradition, Melbourne would be playing.

But it's not like Melbourne was smart enough to conjure up the day itself. It had an obligation to. It didn't. Now it's someone else's day, evidently, someone that most certainly shouldn't be held up on the day as a "club for the ANZACS".

What a perceptive post. A lot there I didn't know. Well done (mind you, if Irish Catholics weren't so keen on the war, well done them - wouldn't have been too keen on dying to support the British Empire myself)

• Like 2

you forget 2 things DL

1. The broadcast rights

2. The AFLPA

Your Utopian vision will not happen

I don't give a damn about the TV rights or the players or the association. its the fans who will determine the game & its survival or demise; not the players of today, or the commission, or the TV company boards.

the commission are doing their best to kill the game thru the mistakes they keep making, by talking to the wrong stake holders.

its the fans who watch it, or they don't.

If they like it, the game will live on. IF they keep on serving up Basket/OccerBy, the game will surely Die.

From the AFL website. "Great Forgotten Anzac Day Matches"

Melbourne 17.11 (113) d Collingwood 10.17 (77)

Waverley, round six, 1991

Questions began to hover over the reigning premiers as they dropped their second game of the year, this time to Melbourne at VFL Park on Anzac Day. The Magpies had struggled to recapture their premiership form from 1990 and let themselves down with poor kicking for goal. By contrast Melbourne built on its recent good form. Darren Cuthbertson continued his brilliant start to his career by booting seven goals and Darren Bennett played a more than handy support role with a bag of five. New recruit Paul Williams was one of few shining lights for Collingwood in the 36-point loss.

I was there that day. Bright sunshine and a packed AFL Park. Oh what a day and thank goodness for memories such as these.

1991 - what a great game that was. And of course very soon thereafter E v Coll played and suddenly named it "the traditional ANZAC Day clash". Even a year or two after an epic encounter they were marketing it as if it had been so forever.

don't aid the powers that be.

8th V 9th from previous season

Can't have the Toiges having it every year either.

So an AFL match to commemorate those that served and fell in war is is simply about TV ratings and $$$$$$. A bit sad really

May be sad, but very true. They would seek their mother and sister if it made them a buck.

• Like 1

Just read the plan for the ANZAC Eve Match on Friday night. Sounds like it's pretty well planned. Should be fitting tribute as long as the game is up to scratch.

I haven't seen the format - I just hope they don't carry on with the "brave as the ANZACs" rubbish. They are only playing footy after all.

• Like 2

I have no problem with Essendon. I have many problems with Collingwood.

During World War 1, the clubs with the highest tally of players serving came from "upper-class" (at the time) clubs: Melbourne, Geelong, St Kilda, South Melbourne.

Essendon had many players serve during the war, but Collingwood was very under-represented: of the four "working class" clubs -- Collingwood, Fitzroy, Richmond and Carlton -- the Pies had by far the lowest amount of players serving.

Melbourne stood aside from the competition and along with University had the highest number of players serving die: 16. In WW2, Melbourne lost a further 13, including ‘Bluey’ Truscott, and the Rat of Tobruk, Ron Barassi Senior.

Collingwood's enlistment was half that of the Lions, Tiges and Blues.

But this pisses me off the most: Melbourne name its best-and-fairest trophies after fallen war heroes, whereas Collingwood named theirs after Copeland and treasurer Bob Rush, who disguised gifts to players and committeemen during the wars as presents to soldiers, when they were anything but.

Also consider that the neighbourhood was mainly Irish Catholic, heavily unionised and against conscription. In the 1916 and 1917 conscription referenda, Collingwood voted against conscription. Whether you agree with conscription or not (I can't see how you would), it seems bizarre that a club so aggressive in its campaign against the wars would be rewarded with arguably the biggest game on the regular season schedule that recognises those who served.

If ANZAC Day was about "tradition", Collingwood most certainly wouldn't be there. The day is about nothing more than branding and corporate exploitation. If it had anything to do with the "ANZACS" and tradition, Melbourne would be playing.

But it's not like Melbourne was smart enough to conjure up the day itself. It had an obligation to. It didn't. Now it's someone else's day, evidently, someone that most certainly shouldn't be held up on the day as a "club for the ANZACS".

Very interesting post 'praha'...thanks for sharing.

Friday night is also a replacement home game for MFC, to cover the two NT games, so your membership gets you in, so misinformation on a grand scale

My membership gets me into every away game we play in Melbourne (including Etihad).

Edited by Seraph

I don't give a damn about the TV rights or the players or the association. its the fans who will determine the game & its survival or demise; not the players of today, or the commission, or the TV company boards.

the commission are doing their best to kill the game thru the mistakes they keep making, by talking to the wrong stake holders.

its the fans who watch it, or they don't.

If they like it, the game will live on. IF they keep on serving up Basket/OccerBy, the game will surely Die.

The players put on the show DL. The fans turn up to watch the carnage

You may not like it but The AFLPA & the broadcasting rights dictate the game.

Your vision of the game passed away during the late 20th Century.

Is that right or wrong?

It just is

Fully professional sport will always evolve this way. The players want a fair slice of the generated revenue

Questions began to hover over the reigning premiers as they dropped their second game of the year, this time to Melbourne at VFL Park on Anzac Day. The Magpies had struggled to recapture their premiership form from 1990 and let themselves down with poor kicking for goal. By contrast Melbourne built on its recent good form. Darren Cuthbertson continued his brilliant start to his career by booting seven goals and Darren Bennett played a more than handy support role with a bag of five. New recruit Paul Williams was one of few shining lights for Collingwood in the 36-point loss.

I was there that day. Bright sunshine and a packed AFL Park. Oh what a day and thank goodness for memories such as these.

Brilliant day at the footy that one, may have to chuck it on in the background while I do some work tonight at home.