Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE MATCH: BACK AND FORWARD

Demonland

BACK AND FORWARD by Whispering Jack

It's a pity in many ways that the NAB Challenge game against the Western Bulldogs couldn't be played backwards because that might satisfy many of the Melbourne supporters who were disgruntled by the outcome of a game which their team actually won and give them some perspective.

If you really could play the game backwards then the deficit at half time would have been 38 points making Melbourne's fightback to pull the game out of the fire look heroic. Given that such things are such a valuable commodity but have been rare in recent times, I would prefer the heroics to be kept for events that have a little more meaning than this little romp in the goldfield town of Ballarat.

The reality was that this was a practice match and the result was as irrelevant as it will be next Friday evening when the Demons face up to a truncated Bomber line up at Etihad Stadium in front of however many fans bother to front up to the ground or watch on Foxtel (strange how that mob still get all of their games televised even if half the side are unlisted ring ins).

The reality is that Melbourne disposed of an undermanned opposition in the first half of the game so comprehensively that the second half was used for its proper purpose - experimentation.

In the event, the Bulldogs came out with some added purpose and managed to outscore the Demons in the third quarter with the aid of the wind and continued to surge against a much different midfield set up and an altered defensive mindset in changed conditions with a swirly wind gusting all over the place.

This did not alter the fact that the focus should be on the style of play that we saw in the first half which is going to be more the hallmark of the Melbourne Football Club's on field efforts in 2015. As Paul Roos put it after the game, "omething we've been working really hard on is getting the ball moving with a bit more speed."

This was highlighted by the showings of the club's four 2015 recruits from other clubs in Heritier Lumumba (running defender and midfield), Jeff Garlett (goal sneak), Sam Frost (a big man with pace who can play forward or back) and Ben Newton (midfield).

There was also a lot to like in the games of Christian Salem, Jay Kennedy-Harris and Jimmy Toumpas and the little we were allowed to see of Jesse Hogan whose season was crippled by the injury he suffered in the corresponding game last year. There is also evidence of other players playing different roles as the club's rejuvenation continues, albeit not at the same revolutionary pace that many would prefer.

Nathan Jones and Dom Tyson dominated the first half stoppages but were used sparingly in the engine room in the second half and these were among many of the changes rung in by the coaching group, the consequences of which were stunningly obvious but lost on some of the fans who turned on their team expecting it to go for the jugular when there was another game even more meaningless in terms of result only six days away.

When that day comes, the match conditions will be changed further to the traditional 22 man team format and two weeks beyond that, the real stuff starts. You can rest assured that by then, the team's focus and its line up will be different again and it will be some time after, that we will really be able to discern whether or not the team has moved forward.

MELBOURNE 0.2.2 0.8.4 0.9.6 0.10.9 (69)

WESTERN BULLDOGS 0.0.1 0.1.1 0.4.4 0.9.8 (62)

GOALS

Melbourne: Garlett Kennedy-Harris 2 Cross Dawes Frost Hogan N Jones Watts

Western Bulldogs: A Cordy 2 Bontempelli Boyd Goodes Grant Jong Minson Stringer

SUPERGOALS

Melbourne: Nil

Western Bulldogs: Nil

BEST

Melbourne: Salem T McDonald Tyson Dunn N Jones Jetta Kennedy-Harris

Western Bulldogs: Honeychurch M Boyd Grant Jong Daniel A Cordy

INJURIES

Melbourne: vandenBerg (cut head)

Western Bulldogs: Nil

SUBSTITUTES

Melbourne:

Western Bulldogs:

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Chris Donlon Scott Jeffery Brendan Hosking, Curtis Deboy

Official crowd: 5000 approx. at Eureka Stadium, Ballarat.

• Like 5

I'm assuming. because it suits me, that Roos saw enough in the first half and changed things AND the players know it is a practice game and are likely to be more choosy about how hard they go. Especially after getting ahead so well in the first half.

Looking forward to seeing the rise and rise of Jimmy T this year.

• Like 13

I guess many people like me are reading the preseason tealeaves as a portent for the season to come. I've almost given up reading DL for any meaningful insights or rationality - certainly there's no balance.

Still If I'm going to have a crack at 'others' I may as well offer a contribution rather than just whinging. Firstly I was heartened that the club did the right thing by its supporters and provided a telecast of the game that I could access (at least the first half - the connection in the second half was very similar to our on field display). I know there are many that have been unhappy with the engagement with the membership of late, but from where I sit at least the club is trying, not always getting it right, but trying.

Secondly our on-field performance was definitely a game of two halves. What I liked in the first half (even though at times it seemed like a training drill) was our ability to move the ball quickly by hand. Something that we haven't been able to do for the longest time. Instead of just hand balling under pressure and coughing it up, which has been the norm for too long, we were hand balling in front of the player to run onto rather than at their feet, over their head or behind their back. Once the player hand balled they automatically put on a shepherd. These are football basics, but something we obviously had to relearn. Based on what I saw Garland and Grimes will finish top ten in the B&F if they play like that consistently. Matt Jones I thought was also good in the first half (didn't make any errors that I could see anyway). Tommy Mac and Nev were superb. The midfield kicking wasn't flash, but as Roos said the conditions were difficult. It always seems to be windy in Ballarat. I thought our intensity in the first half was fantastic and actually intimidated the Doggies a bit, - when was the last time we could say that about any Melbourne side? Not so much in the second half, but at least we're raising the bar (previously the difference between our best and worst football was OK to Insipid). Now our best looks a lot better. Hard to gauge what our worst will be like at this stage, but hopefully a damn site better than in the last few years. I doubt we'll see a centre square set up like we had in the last quarter once the real stuff starts.

The Bulldogs were missing 5 of their best 7 from their top ten from last year (Griffen, Libba and Crameri were unavailable) we had all 7 of our best 7 from the top ten available (Howe, Vince and Frawley unavailable). So yes the Doggies were inexperienced, but in general I think we found plenty to be excited about into the future. Our recruiting is getting better Frost, Lumumba, Newton, Garlett all look like being in the best 22 and I think we're actually a much better side immediately which takes the pressure of Petracca, Brayshaw and Stretch to adjust to the tempo of league footy rather than throwing them to the wolves to make up the deficit of talent. I was disappointed Vandenberg got injured because I think he's also a smokey for round 1. Tyson, Salem and Toumpas all appear to be improving rather than just plateauing and Hogan just looks like a player (easy to see why there's so much hype - well founded IMO) won't be dominant in 2015, but I can't wait to see what he's doing to opposition team in two years time.

• Like 14

When I saw Lynden Dunn at a centre clearance in the second half I realised the coaching staff may have taken the foot off the gas just as much as the players. Let's hope the boys can sustain the first-half effort for four quarters when the real games start.

I liked the run and carry from T-Mac out of defence. HL looked good around stoppages. I even saw Garlett at a stoppage (though that may have been in the second half). Awesome to see Garlett crumbing a few Hogan drops like we all imagined he would after the trade. Gee Frost was quick on the chase down wasn't he? If he can gradually improve as a forward over the next few years that would be fantastic.

I missed the third quarter, but vandenBerg did come on in the second half, right? I hardly saw him in the fourth and the stat sheet says all he managed was a tackle and a handball. I haven't got used to him wearing Gawm's old number yet.

The guy I'm still most uncomfortable with having the ball is Col Garland. Maybe it's something to do with his appearance, but he hesitates and looks to kick backwards and it reminds me of our impotent attack of recent years. Yesterday I got a similar vibe from Crossy, who sprayed a few off the boot out of defence.

I'm going to forget about the second half and call it a Roosy strategy to lull our opposition into a false sense of security (i.e. the Dees still can't close out games, no need to bring our A-game).

I was disappointed Vandenberg got injured because I think he's also a smokey for round 1.

Wait, what injury did he sustain? Was it him that went off with the blood-rule in the first half after crashing in to two Bulldogs?

Hard to know how to perceive this game. In the first half the doggies were witches hats and played with no intensity. We were obviously geared up for a solid hit out.

That first half did look organised, we played assured footy and players were aware of their roles and seemed capable of playing them. The list is in much better shape with Netwon, Heritier and Garlett filling roles.

Still a shallow midfield at this stage as we saw in the 2nd half.

Wait, what injury did he sustain? Was it him that went off with the blood-rule in the first half after crashing in to two Bulldogs?

Yep, straight down to the rooms, my impression was he had concussion and didn't come back on. Hopefully someone can clarify. I assume he'll play next week, I just wanted to see a little more this week, the second half would have been a good opportunity for him.

I know people don't like Hutch much, but I did chuckle when he made the comment that Pickers was his manager and that hopefully he keeps him in the loop next time (obviously referring to his DUI)

• Like 2

What really impressed me was the ball movement and run from our players in the first half. Everyone worked hard to get free. At half time I thought there is no way they were going to keep that style of play given the quite warm conditions. If the aim was just to win it was done then. I think the Bulldogs were caught napping. They were expecting a dour slog from us from the begining.

• Like 2

I know people don't like Hutch much, but I did chuckle when he made the comment that Pickers was his manager and that hopefully he keeps him in the loop next time (obviously referring to his DUI)

Something tells me they weren't going out for a beer together after the game.

What I've learnt thus far…

Spread. The first half was the best I’ve seen a Melbourne side attack and spread in a long time. I think watching via the stream it’s difficult to glean how much that 5 goal wind had the capacity to effect kicking skills, but, in the main, I thought we transitioned the footy very well and opened up space and opportunities through spread and hard running. It helps when you’ve got tall targets, as they are the driver in giving the team confidence to move the ball quickly.

Salem and Toumpas play far better football when they’re behind the ball. Toumpas is very much a confidence player with a long way to go, but the more he feels he belongs and the more he touches the leather the better he’ll get. He’s poor in a one on one contested situation, but with experience he’ll play to his strengths and hopefully become a reliable distributor. Salem has a harder edge and while he too needs to improve his decision making, we’ve potentially found an elite half-back, who has the capacity to push through the midfield as his career develops.

For the first time in a long time I didn’t have apoplexy when Grimes had the footy. It was a break-through for Jack and a much needed boost for his confidence.

Hogan is still a little rusty, but when he gets his timing right he’ll impact plenty of quarters. Even a little off his impact is palpable. He has a Neitz-like on-field presence that will greatly benefit the likes of Dawes, Watts and Pedersen. Garlett’s a terrific acquisition and he’ll salivate at the prospect of scouting Hogan-impacted contests.

I like Newton. The club is trying to develop him in a more outside role, which threatens to reduce his early numbers. He’s most comfortable inside the contest with his nose over the footy, but they reckon we’re reasonable well off in that regard and want to capitalise on his quality left foot.

We’ve already seen enough to know that Garlett, Lamumba, Frost, Newton, and van Demon (thanks to another poster) are going to be quality additions.

This will be Watts’ best year for the club. As the third or fourth tall he has the capacity to be a nightmare for the opposition. His frame is clearly the strongest it’s looked, with both upper and lower body strength significantly improved. Thankfully, the midfield experiment is over. I’m looking forward to a 40 goal year. Some will consider this ambitious, however, with a defined role, undoubted footy smarts and superb goal-kicking accuracy, two goals a game isn't setting the bar too high. More importantly, this has to be the type of impact required. Intensity is the key for Jack. Brendan McCartney, in particular, has the ability to bring out the best in him.

Matt Jones, McKenzie and Bail are solid servants, but they’re below the quality required to make a charge up the ladder. The club knows this, but their attributes will get them games until the likes of Brayshaw, ANB, Stretch and, of course, Petracca consign them to the past. We know what we’re going to get from the aforementioned and unfortunately it’s sub-optimal. I’d get Brayshaw into the team as quickly as possible. As Greg Chappell once said, the best way to learn how to play test cricket is to play test cricket. He should be over his head knocks and the quicker he’s in the team the better.

I’m not as concerned by the abysmal second half as some. 220 disposals in the first half to 110 indicated that when we play with the intensity and to the structures they've trained over summer they can play effective two-way footy. It only takes one player to break down well-rehearsed zones. Combined with reduced intensity or changed personnel at stoppages we saw what can happen. In modern footy momentum can be difficult to withstand. They gave the Dogs a sniff and their tails subsequently went up. It’s a timely reminder to coaches and players as to what we can expect when you stop tackling, running and defending. The coaches would rather the opportunity to dissect this game now than after round 1.

Tackling is the one area our better mids need to keep an eye on. Your best 6 should aspire to average at least 4 tackles per game, but preferably 5+. Tyson is a revelation, but he needs to improve his tackling numbers. I’m not as critical with the odd miskick as some, but I do want to see his tackling efforts improve. He’s adept at getting first possession at a stoppages and weaving, feigning, etc. until he gets that quick kick or handball out, but he can also sit back at times waiting to pounce. We are getting bigger and stronger, but we still need to raise the aggression stakes.

Notwithstanding the exceedingly poor second half, I've seen enough already over the preseason with recruits, young players, hard running and spread to be quietly optimistic looking to the year ahead. Supporters’ emotions rise and fall too much over a quarter here or a half there. But it’s difficult to be overly critical with what they've had to endure.

• Like 20

As a one off, I enjoyed the commentary. It was as amateurish as it gets but so what? It's only the NAB. Some of the ripping they did on one another had me chuckling.

• Like 1

A great day at a country footy match! Friendly crowd, mostly standing and mostly Dees I thought but none of the intermingled Bully supporters managed to annoy me. Maybe the fact that Ballarat provided a sunny day for possibly the first time ever had something to do with it. The drink tent was a real nostalgia trip with the local "Ladies Committee" serving full strength coldies out of an ice tub. The only sour note was that I had to endure Biffen's company and BO but more of that on another thread.

Despite missing the first 10 minutes, obviously the first half was the highlight of the game. And the highlight of that for me was JKH. It was easily the best I've seen of him and he showed real poise and confidence . He could be a surprise packet this year. Jetta looked the goods again and Frost is top pick up. Frost is also easily distinguished as he has jug ears like Adam Gilchrist. Lumumba showed pace and the ability to be where the ball is. A full season from him will add a lot of bite out defence/midfield. And talking of pace means Garlett - another top selection I reckon.

While I'm not going to pre order finals tickets just yet I did see enough to give me genuine confidence in team improvement and competitiveness this year.

• Like 6

I was actually at the game ,and in between buying cans for BBO who was rapidly dehydrating from a long walk (sort of) in the direction of the ground ,I noticed our skills have improved rapidly.

Our kicking is now snappier,more confident and decisive ,mostly due to the options be made available faster.

I am extremely pleased with our new forward line.

If Garlett,Hogan,Jkh ,Dawes and Watts get on the park we will be kicking much bigger scores.

Toumpas and Salem were excellent ,Dunny and Frost were solid .

I have often thought in our quest for big bodies that we had become too top heavy and slow.

Garlett ,JKH work well with Dawes (who will spill marks to their advantage) and Hogan who will clunk many or take two or three backmen with him.

Toumpas and Salem are good around the packs also.

We are in for a much better year.

• Like 5

I'm assuming. because it suits me, that Roos saw enough in the first half and changed things AND the players know it is a practice game and are likely to be more choosy about how hard they go. Especially after getting ahead so well in the first half.

Looking forward to seeing the rise and rise of Jimmy T this year.

Whether he changed things or not isn't really the point.

I'm not so sure about any of that logic really. I highly doubt Roos thinks that the skill-level and effort for most of the last half is acceptable, regardless of the positives he chose to speak of in his post game interview.

Posters choose to look at these games in either a positive way or a negative way.

Of course there were many individual positives to come out of yesterday's game. Our new recruits for one are obviously a revelation. Lamumba, Frost, Garlett, Newton really offer a lot to the team. I'm happy Jesse is just out there, regardless of the fact he didn't have a great day yesterday.

The question I keep asking myself is how we almost let a VFL standard team run over the top of what was extremely close to our best 22 is how? How does it happen?

Unlike some, I refuse to even entertain the same lines being thrown around here such is 'it's a practice match', 'positions were changed', 'the coaches were experimenting with setups' etc. They are excuses disguising the fundamental and deep rooted problems that still exist at our club whether people like it or not. That is not to say that some positional changes etc may have some sort of effect on the way we match up. Of course it will.

There is an inherent lack of skill and decision making when It comes to kicking the ball at our club.

There is an inherent lack of concentration and discipline to compete at all times from certain players still at our club.

These were the two reasons we let them back into the game yesterday. Not anything else. And once they were let back in, variables such as momentum for them and doubt for us etc became catalysts for what 7 goals to 0 in the second half (or whatever it was).

The number one problem for me yesterday was the pointless over-possession of the ball when we were making a slow play, resulting usually in a turnover once any forward movement was made. You only have to look at our scoring shots, our inside 50's and our possession count/dominance to realise how much pointless sideways kicking goes on from players who will continue to do because of an inherent lack of skill.

People may think I'm looking at the whole thing too negatively, but these are real issues that are the root causes for dramatic quarter or half dropouts that we see with this team. It's not anything else.

We almost* our best 22 on the park yesterday. Remember that.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

Whether he changed things or not isn't really the point.

I'm not so sure about any of that logic really. I highly doubt Roos thinks that the skill-level and effort for most of the last half is acceptable, regardless of the positives he chose to speak of in his post game interview.

Posters choose to look at these games in either a positive way or a negative way.

Of course there were many individual positives to come out of yesterday's game. Our new recruits for one are obviously a revelation. Lamumba, Frost, Garlett, Newton really offer a lot to the team. I'm happy Jesse is just out there, regardless of the fact he didn't have a great day yesterday.

The question I keep asking myself is how we almost let a VFL standard team run over the top of what was extremely close to our best 22 is how? How does it happen?

Unlike some, I refuse to even entertain the same lines being thrown around here such is 'it's a practice match', 'positions were changed', 'the coaches were experimenting with setups' etc. They are excuses disguising the fundamental and deep rooted problems that still exist at our club whether people like it or not. That is not to say that some positional changes etc may have some sort of effect to the way we match up. Of course it will.

There is an inherent lack of skill and decision making when It comes to kicking the ball at our club.

There is an inherent lack of concentration and discipline to compete at all times from certain players still at our club.

These were the two reasons we let them back into the game yesterday. Not anything else. And once they were let back in, things like momentum for them, doubt for us etc became catalysts for what 7 goals to 0 in the second half (or whatever it was).

The number one problem for me yesterday was the pointless over-possession of the ball when we were making a slow play, resulting usually in a turnover once any forward movement was made. You only have to look at our scoring shots, our inside 50's and our possession count/dominance to realise how much pointless sideways kicking goes on from players who will continue to do because of an inherent lack of skill.

People may think I'm looking at the whole thing too negatively, but these are real issues that are the root causes for dramatic quarter or half dropouts that we see with this team. It's not anything else.

We had our best 22 on the park yesterday. Remember that.

Well, yes and no....I still think there's room for Pedo, Kent, Bernie and Howe....anyhoo,

I loved the practice match!!! The run and spread in that first half was incredible, (dare I say it? Freo like?)

I agree with your summation that not hitting targets interrupts the chain of play - Roos will sort those out via the trade table.

Don't forget that for some players, it was their first real hit out.

The coaching staff and players experimented and relaxed.

i like the look of 2015...

• Like 1