Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Ultimate Footy - Norm Smith League 2015

robbo24

And I assume alcohol is compulsory? No one likes a dry draft.

Well..... Derrr!

Surely there must some penalty if someone is found to be fully sober on draft night

Well drafted by all, will be interesting to see everyone's teams.

To get the ball rolling this is how mine panned out:

Def:

Malceski

M. Johnson

S. Hurn

Rampe

Mid/back

Bugg

Mids

Gibbs

I. Smith

Gaff

Hartlett

Hill

Newton

Ellis yoleman

Mid/fwds

D. Martin

Bell

Jetta

Fwds

Roughhead

Hawkins

Karnezis

Rucks

Giles

Leuenberger

Happy with my drafting, officially a mosquito fleet. All about possies, no real KP's by design.

Mids

Danger

Jones

Mitchell

Prestia

Viney

Heeney

Forwards

Bruest

Zorko (m)

Cooney (m)

Rioli

Goodes

Toumpas (m)

Rucks

Jamar

Grundy

Gawn (for when Jamar goes down)

Backs

Adcock

Walker

Mayes (m)

Frosty (our one)

Clinton Young (m)

Am actually quite chuffed really. Feel i've managed depth across the board, and some good balance as well as flexibility with the dual positions

Edited by jako13

Content with my efforts. Although i think I am forfeiting the goal scoring category every week.

BACKS
Suckling

Langdon

Sutcliffe

Henderson

Tomlinson (back/forward)

Rohan (will be delisted)

Yeo (back/forward)

Centres

Beams

Sidebottom

Coniglio

T.Mitchell (mid/forward)

Goddard (mid/forward)

Jo Kelly (mid/forward)

Vandenberg - I went pretty early here but recon he's a bit of a Barlow selection

Crisp (mid/forward)

Rucks

Stef Martin -probably the biggest ball winning ruckman?

Ceglar (ruck/forward)

Forwards

Salem

Tom Lynch

Plus others above who are dual position

I may have to be aggressive and trade in a KPF

DRAFT REVIEW AND SEASON PREVIEW PART 1

Robbo 24

Categories:

1st in Marks

2nd in %

3rd in Hitouts

4th in Kicks

How the draft panned out:

Grabbed some clear midfield guns with his first couple of picks and from there filled out his forward line spots with a few midfield/forwards which should indicate that his team will be a high possession line up, whilst he is 4th in kicks currently that is with Ceglar as the utility, swapping this will likely increase it by 7-8 leading to him sitting top 3.

Draft Steal:

Based off the actual ranking numbers getting Crisp at 263 was a perfect acquisition, the dual position player will get midfield minutes at Collingwood especially with Greenwood being injured and will definitely increase his disposals and tackles for the year.

Finish:

Top 8 definitely beckons for Robbo and barring injuries he could well push into the top 4, scoring is a massive category in this league and Tom Lynch is a key figure in the forward line of Robbo. If he is able to develop as expected up on the Gold Coast he will be a major contributor to Robbos finals push.

How will you find Robbo at the footy?

He will be the bloke who is encouraging every Melbourne player to give the hands off to Salem but also talking about how our biggest mistake on and off the field for the last 50 years was getting rid of the superstar that is Stefan Martin.

PC Demons:

Categories:

2nd in Kicks

3rd in Handballs

4th in Marks

With his first pick grabbed Lance Franklin who is a match winner in this competition often being able to kick a score big enough to beat the opposition of his own boot. Had first pick of the Ruckmen with Sam Jacobs and was able to fill good depth in each of the positions through the draft.

Draft Steal:

Toby Greene is a genuine ball magnet and if he can avoid being suspended there is no reason why he can’t continue to find the football, adding Griffin to the GWS midfield will also put less emphasis on the accumulator who will look to increase his actual ranking of 18 to push into the top 10 in the comp.

Finish:

The bottom end of the top 8 is the calling for PCs Demons, if his midfielders are able to hit the scoreboard and it will make his side a difficult one to beat, a lot rests on the development of Marley Williams and Kade Kolodjashnij, if they can find the footy out of the backline and increase their disposal counts he will push into finals.

How will you find PC Demons at the footy?

He will be the fella that is professing the innocence of both Toby Greene and Marley Williams after they had a hard night on the [censored] and beat up security out the front of a pub in Hawthorn.

JCB:

Categories:

1st in FD

2nd in Marks

4th in %

Pretty much filled his midfield with his first 3 picks and has drafted very deep in the backline with one emergency and three on the bench all being back half players. If he wasn’t at the draft he has done very well for himself and has a team that can definitely be made competitive. Probably has the midfield with the most top end players with all being below 60 in actual ranking.

Draft Steal:

Mitch Duncan at pick 100 could well be a massive steal, he is a high end categories player and will take several marks, kick the ball more than he handballs and hit the scoreboard throughout the year.

Finish:

No reason to suggest that top 8 is out of the question, if his 5 midfield stars are able to find the football disposals will come with ease. Will need big improvement from the back half if he is to push deep into finals.

How will you find JCB at the footy?

JCB will be the bloke who is telling everyone that Essendon should not be punished for the drug saga, or at least Ryder, Monfries and Watson as they are the good blokes that came out of that club.

Matts Cunning Stunts:

Categories:

2nd in FD

5th in Tackles

Midfielders and forwards were the theme of the day and Matts draft team went heavily after these areas. Majorly missing defenders only having two and both from Hawthorn will mean he will be using the waiver list early.

Draft Steal:

David Armitage is going to shoulder most of the midfield load at StKilda but he is a much better pick than 175 and is an absolute steal at that round in the draft.

Finish:

Needs to address the issue of not having a backline, but the waiver list and midfield options that he has could make trading pretty easy for him. At the moment though this list will struggle to play finals.

How will you find Matt at the footy?

When the flat track bully West Coast are laying the beating on a team at the Pattersons he will be one of the happiest people there, even if it is against Melbourne.

Edited by Mad_Melbourne
  • Like 2

Great work MM

Look forward to these reviews after each draft...

Can't wait for the next instalments

Cheers! Will get more done, tomorrow I have a bit more of a chill day so I shall pump some more out!!

It's always fun to have a look at everyone's team

Galahs:
Categories:

2nd in tackles

4th in %

5th in HO

Early on grabbed midfielders and then after that he filled out his defensive spots. Was able to grab some good value in the forward half later on in the draft, this has given him a lot of depth to his list and coverage in each position. Heritier Lumumba with his 3rd pick was a bit surprising but on pre season form could well be the best defender.

Draft Steal:

Chris Dawes with his last pick in the draft is an absolute draft steal, whilst he is not the most influential forward in the game, barring injury he will play 22 games and work into a spot on his field being able to average a couple goals a game.

Finish:

The Galahs will be a team that is pushing into the top half of the ladder and alot of his hopes will depend on the improvement of Melbourne players and the natural improvement of a few younger players. If Jack Darling and Levi Casboult are able to take multiple marks and kick goals then this team will be a force.

How will you find Galahs at the footy?

A very happy Melbourne supporter when we are winning, but also encouraging Lynden Dunn to take every kickout and play on so that it counts as a stat. Will also be taking Zumba lessons so that he is able to dance with the Prince.

Marc Remillard:

Categories:

1st in handballs

3rd in Marks

3rd in tackles

Looked for the midfield depth to start with and decided to run with a team based around more of a smaller player look. This tactic is one which commonly can do quite well in categories considering the increased emphasis on possession through the midfield in the modern game. Although the lack of key forwards could mean that posting a good score will be difficult for him round by round.

Draft Steal:

Lachie Whitfield was able to grab him with pick 261 and his ranking last year was 151. This year with the improved midfield that GWS have and his continual improvement he could well push into the top 75 category players and could well give him a selection headache when it comes to midfield and utility spots.

Finish:

He should make it into the top 8 and there will be some matches where his possession stats are impossible to catch and by doing this he will be able to win matches even if he loses on the score category. Ruck stocks could be a little bit of an issue for him as McIntosh is very injury prone and Witts is still developing.

How will you find Marc Remillard at the footy?

He will be the fella that is defending Jack Watts when the usual hero at the footy is screaming about how soft he is, will also be the guy saying he “told you so” when Watts is able to have a match winning performance.

Jako 13:

Categories:

1st in HO

2nd in Handballs

4th in FD

Chased midfielders and midfield/forwards with his earliest pick and getting Dangerfield at 11 could be a steal as he may well be the number 1 player in the comp if he is able to handle the contract pressure that will be over his head. Was able to grab great depth in each position especially ruck with Jamar being his number one option but also having Gawn on the bench as if one is injured the other will play. He will be hoping that his defence will be able to improve from last years stats as this will increase his competitiveness.

Draft Steal:

Reports out of Essendon say that Cooney is absolutely flying and Brendan McCartney has also said this. The fact that he is a dual position and being a midfield forward he could be an absolute steal at 107 pushing into the top 30 stats wise if he is able to rekindle his form of a few years ago.

Finish:

if his defence is able to improve and increase as their effectiveness which should be expected of Mayes and Frost and if Walker is able to come back from injury and find the footy Jako will push deep into the 8. If not he will be battling for one of the low end spots in the 8.

How will you find Jako at the footy?

Bald, tatt sleeves and a surfboard under his arm cheering for Chunk as he leads our team to victories. Will be talking to Roosy about what he can offer to help get Danger in the red and blue next year.

Vineys Vaginey:

Categories:

3rd in score

3rd in %

Has grabbed the most goal kicking forwards of anyone in this draft, with a good spread between key position and smaller forwards. Went deep in the midfield but his backline may have some challenges in depth and might need to get a new player on the bench if there is an injury to one of his key 3 defenders.

Draft Steal:

Kane Cornes, a massive accumulator and a very under rated in terms of his contribution to Port Adelaide and will be rated around 50-70 again and getting him at 181 is a steal.

Finish:

Will post a large score week in week out and if his mids are able to back it up and find the football then he will be pushing deep into finals. Great key position forward depth and I can see some trades to upgrade a mid or ruck as a key for his finals success.

How will you find Vineys Vaginey at the footy?

The only Melbourne supporter who is genuinely interested to see how many goals Mitch Clark has kicked for Geelong and not secretly hoping for another soft tissue injury.

(sorry OMR you are in the group that i will be doing on Wednesday, hope you can hold out!)

• Like 1

Another great read MM..........

And yes As much as I look forward to reading my own sides predicted form, its more about the opposition SWAT analysis.

We will need to draw on your write up skills through the season & give you some guest appearances on the weekly game day wraps.

Wreckers:
Categories:

3rd in marks
3rd in FD
4th in tackles

The Wreckers have gone for midfield strength, grabbing 5 pure midfielders with the first 5 picks and after that just filling positions. Whilst I said JCB could well have the best midfield wreckers has 5 with an actual ranking under 40 which is exceptional from the draft, but it does mean he is a little stretched in other positions, backline and ruck especially.

Draft Steal:

Brent Stanton, now that the drug saga is over Stanton having slid down to 77 is a draft steal as he could well be in the top 15-20 ultimate footy category players this year.

Finish:

The midfield in this team will set some good totals in terms of disposals but his problem he will face is the defenders and forwards he have to not tend to find the football too much, Kreuzer and Seedsman who are injured at the moment could well be pivotal in Wreckers chase of back to back grand finals.

How will you find Wreckers at the footy?

He will be the person who is defending Jack Grimes and stating that there is clearly no replacement for him and that he must play 22 games.

7-UP:

Categories:

1st in %
1st in HB

Spread his early picks out grabbing mids but then also a forward and a back in his top 5 picks. But later in the draft going with the best pick available method he has ended up with a whole heap of forwards. He has two number 1 ruck men but his problem lies in midfield depth. Angus Brayshaw may well come in and play 12 odd games but an injury or two will send him to the waiver list.

Draft Steal:

Whilst it is not a steal it could turn into an inspired pick and that is Aaron Black with his last pick. North Melbourne have a huge wrap on this forward and with the addition of Waite he could well thrive in that 3rd forward position and has a lot of similar attributes to Gunston. Black could become the most improved player in the league this year due to less pressure and a midfield on the rise.

Finish:
Without injuries this side could push for the top 4, the lack of depth in the midfield is the only issue and if there are some suspensions or injuries he may be fighting for the spots in the bottom 8. Although a fit and healthy list is important for all teams, I think his best 10-12 puts him into the top 4 but the depth players (if needed) make it harder for him.

How will you find Marc 7-UPat the footy?

The bloke who is rolling off the stats the Brayshaw has had for Casey in the past few weeks or half time of the match that is being played while Melbourne play.

The Goodvibes:

Categories:

1st in score
5th in Marks

Has looked at the dual position players especially the mid/forwards which is generally a pretty good tactic in terms of getting a score up, and it is shown by his projection of 1st in score. The only problem is that pure mids may find the ball a bit more than these C/F. Picked his defenders pretty early and looks to have good coverage in this area.

Draft Steal:

Patrick Cripps with his second last pick in the draft could be a master stroke, statistically over pre season he has had a ripper but not only that he will be a starting 5 midfielder at Carlton and I think he will play 22 games. He could well be a top 100 player and if keeper leagues were in place would have gone a whole lot higher.

Finish:

Top 6. Dual position players did well for me last year, but the biggest issue could be lack of pure midfielders. He grabbed some defenders that will have score impact but I think his possession counts might not be as high as if he had 4 pure mids and then 4 c/f. That said every player in his starting side apart from a ruckman is ranked under 200 which is a great draft.

How will you find The Goodvibes at the footy?
Hes the guy on his phone checking out the stats from the other games, but also extremely interested in great passages of play by crumbing forwards. Could be gutted he didn’t get Cyril.

I Luv Tingay:

Categories:

2nd in score

2nd in HO

Jeremy Cameron will be the number 1 forward for GWS and if he can continue his projected improvement he will be a top 20, but I personally think he went a tad premature with pick 8. That said from then on he definitely was able to find depth for all positions on the field, especially in goal scoring forwards.

Draft Steal:

Purely based of actual ranking Leigh Montagna at 153 is a steal, but also considering he can be a top 30 mid emphasizes this fact. If Jack Steven can be fit and play 22 games the Montagna could have a season that pushes him back to the heights that he had a few years ago and could well be the best mid that ILT has.

Finish:

ILT will be fighting it out for a spot in the bottom end of the 8 I think, he went in with a clear draft strategy and has been able to grab multiple goal scorers but it just depends on how much football they can find. There will be weeks that he cannot be caught but other weeks he could struggle.

How will you find ILT at the footy?

Bleached blonde hair, massive biceps and an old school mullet, he is also the bloke that is shouting at the umpires that it was clearly holding the ball rather than in the back as Matt Jones gives away one of his standard two push in the backs a game.

(Part 4 will be up later today, definitely before richmond v carlton, and before i head off to training at 5:30, have to do some work while at work)

• Like 1

How will you find Vineys Vaginey at the footy?

The only Melbourne supporter who is genuinely interested to see how many goals Mitch Clark has kicked for Geelong and not secretly hoping for another soft tissue injury.

Incorrect - I would happily concede this year's UF if he has a career ending injury round 1 :)

What I will provide is a chance to finally see Hogan and Clark line up in the same forward line.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic for discussion - where would Ablett and Rockliff go if the league was redrafted today? Rockliff has a fairly clear date for return so maybe still a top ten pick; Ablett might be harder to justify with a first round pick if there is no guarantee that rest will help. You would assume that Lewis (29) and Fyfe (18) would be very high selections now.

I was happy Ablett went at one, because I didn't have to decide not to pick him.

I was leaning toward Rockliff or Fyfe at two anyway.

Right now I would take Fyfe of course, but still happy I made the right choice at the time.

• 4 months later...

Thanks all for the comp, especially Robbo. Sorry I haven't been as active on the message boards as I had hoped. In an even comp my team lost its way mid season and never recovered, although we did okay in the losers finals. Hopefully we can go around again next year.

• 1 month later...

Rumour turned out to be correct.....son of Shaun Smith turned out to be correct....you all were the first ones to know...

Edited by jayceebee31

Very good early call JCB.

You did call this father son selection over 6 months ago.

I'm also looking forward to UF season 2016.

I have unfinished business after Coming Runners Up in 2015.

You will be runner up again...just stuck it up Jarka - the spanner ( tool) worked

• H_T locked this topic