Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday, 2nd February, 2015

tappysquads

What I would like to be reading in a couple hours time:

-Stand out from today, silky Jim Toumpass
-Jack Watts was super strong around the contest, head over the ball and determined
-Fitzpatrick read a long ball perfectly, positioned himself for a text book contested mark, only to have Dawes jump over the top of him and take a strong one grab mark
-nick maxwell wandered onto the park, mistakenly got in between Viney and a football, Medical staff are still attending
-petracca "don't argued" Mckenzie through a fence, burst for 40m and nailed a goal from 60
-JKH stepped through traffic, ran to the 50m only to be run down by a desperate defensive tackle from garlett
-didn't see one backwards kick in match simulation for the whole session
-frost spoiled at fb, cleaned up by Jetta, hand off to lumumba who stepped through a tackle and hit a 50m switch on the chest of McDonald who took 2 bounces down the wing and hit hogan coming out of ff

Anything I missed?

• Like 7

What I would like to be reading in a couple hours time:

-Stand out from today, silky Jim Toumpass

-Jack Watts was super strong around the contest, head over the ball and determined

-Fitzpatrick read a long ball perfectly, positioned himself for a text book contested mark, only to have Dawes jump over the top of him and take a strong one grab mark

-nick maxwell wandered onto the park, mistakenly got in between Viney and a football, Medical staff are still attending

-petracca "don't argued" Mckenzie through a fence, burst for 40m and nailed a goal from 60

-JKH stepped through traffic, ran to the 50m only to be run down by a desperate defensive tackle from garlett

-didn't see one backwards kick in match simulation for the whole session

-frost spoiled at fb, cleaned up by Jetta, hand off to lumumba who stepped through a tackle and hit a 50m switch on the chest of McDonald who took 2 bounces down the wing and hit hogan coming out of ff

Anything I missed?

No you can wake now, get out of bed and face the real world.
  • Like 5

1.30pm and no reports? Was anybody there?

Cross & Salem last to leave the track; with Grimes, McKenzie....Brayshaw.....and 43.

(Saw Jake Lovett train on Saturday for the sting-rays. I wouldn't put money on him winning any training runs, but he has his old man's football nous and big ass. Left footer for memory)

Salem's set shot kicking will be compared to Mark "shooter" Williams, who was a dead eye dictorian.

Daniel Cross is an inspiration, and no wonder our 2014 season hit the fan when his leg snapped.

Sorry , had something to do first before I could put this up.

Good session again today, lots of ball movement drills.

Casualty ward first, no Trengove, Neal-Bullen or King.

Watts and White did a short handballing session and then into swimming

Howe did a few laps of slow pace running with Andrew Nicol

Vince and Hunt were in rehab, doing laps and a bit of ball work

Brendan McCartney appeared for the first time, did a lot of talk, during the drills

Standouts in the match sim, sorry to say for the lemon suckers, Matt Jones and Jordie McKenzie, but for the optimists, Petracca did the best session I have seen from him, put Ben Newton on his arse during one match sim, playing him as a forward mostly, except when they had a full field drill with what seemed to be designated link man who had to be involved in the play, Petracca, Brayshaw, Billy Stretch (who was another to shine) and Jeff Garlett (another standout with his reading of the game and quick hands) were these designated link men.

Others to shine, Dean Kent, a four bounce run down a wing and a post high goal,, Salem off half back and taking kick ins, Jack Grimes and Jimmy Toumpas, both off half back.

Roos again was stressing the simple option, Viney was guilty once of going sideways, was told in no uncertain terms later on.

Another drill, Fitzy got the ball unmarked on the far wing, Roos shouted Dawes so loud everybody heard it, Fitzy did the right thing and kicked straightway down Dawes' throat, Dawes had got himself free over the back.

Pics will be on Twitter soon, Demonpk, any questions, feel free.

• Like 29

Thanks Saty, great work.

Having seen as much if not more of training than anyone, how do you rate Michie, Riley, McKenzie, Newton, M Jones in terms of likely first 22 status. And where do you think Petracca, Brayshaw and Stretch would fit in to the listing.

I'm assuming N Jones, Vince, Tyson and Viney are "certainties" but the fight for spots amongst the rest is perhaps the most interesting thing to play out this preseason.

I'm also getting the feeling that Salem and Toumpas are being thought of as playing predominantly in the back half because of their kicking. Agree?

• Like 1

Watts and White did a short handballing session and then into swimming.

Saty,

I know you love Wattsy like a long lost son.

But he has spent very little time with the main group this preseason apart from his holiday in Maroochydore.

Do you really think he will be up to holding a position anywhere in the side this year?

• Like 1

Standouts in the match sim, sorry to say for the lemon suckers, Matt Jones and Jordie McKenzie, but for the optimists, Petracca did the best session I have seen from him, put Ben Newton on his arse during one match sim, playing him as a forward mostly, except when they had a full field drill with what seemed to be designated link manwho had to be involved in the play, Petracca, Brayshaw, Billy Stretch (who was another to shine) and Jeff Galrett (another standout with his reading of the game and quick hands) were these designated link men

Thank for your dedication in providing training updates TDI, I enjoy reading them. I do have a couple of queries however.

As for the 'lemon suckers', I can't say I am in the same boat that you lump some in when it comes to analysing our list and critiquing individual players like Jordie McKenzie and Matt Jones. In fact I am more than happy to point out their individual strengths. Just as I am happy to point out their weaknesses.

Out of interest, with our now new and improved midfield that features greater depth and quality than in previous years, do you see a spot in the 22 for a player like McKenzie?

If so, can you outline why? What puts him ahead of someone you've left out? What does he offer that they don't?

Is the reason you now regularly point out players on the lower end of the 'skill' spectrum at training, (such as Matt Jones and McKenzie) purely an emotional one due to the fact that you have formed some sort of face to face relationship with the player?

Do you think an individuals performance is based entirely upon how much of a pre-season they've completed? You've spoken about the fact that Jordie is having his first full pre-season in a while which you believe will translate to his performance. I agree in some respects and aspects of playing the game.

Take Dan Nicholson however. Arguably our best runner whilst on the list and certainly had enough full pre-seasons to give himself the opportunity to cement a spot in our 22. His skill level didn't seem to change regardless of how much or little of the pre-season he completed. He had questionable footskills. He always will have.

The same applies with McKenzie in my mind.

Anyway, would love a response to my questions written in bold.

• Like 5

Sorry , had something to do before I could do this

Good session again today, lots of ball movement drills...

Another drill, Fitzy got the ball unmarked on the far wing, Roos shouted Dawes so loud everybody heard it, Fitzy did the right thing and kicked straightway down Dawes' throat, Dawes had got himself free over the back

Pics will be on Twitter soon, Demonpk, any questions, feel free

So, is it that simple? All we need to do is chip in, buy Roos a megaphone and the premiership will be ours.

• Like 1

Will try and answer the questions, from a training point of view, and the fact I have attended most if not all training sessions since the start, as of today this would be my starting 22ish , of course it might not be Roos' and doesn''t include the llikes of Watts, Vince, Terlich, Riley who are coming back from injury, it is based on their fitness, form and what I have seen during the pre season

Defence - Jetta, McDonald, Dunn, Garland, Grimes Salem/Toumpas

Midfield - Jamar, Jones N, Jones M, McKenzie, Tyson, Lumumba/Cross

Forward - Hogan, Dawes (Gawn), Kent, Garlett, JKH, Fitzpatrick/Pedersen

Bench - Frost, Viney/Bail, Michie/Newton, Petracca

In other words we have serious competition

The doubles are those I can't separate, they are doing everything asked of them

As for the question on McKenzie, the proof will be during games, but his fitness, speed,kicking, link up play have been exemplary during the pre season

Think Watts was just on a light day, they all seem to get them at one stage or another

• Like 1

I remember when Bluey Hampshire leant out of the coaches box window in 1982 and bellowed instructions to the Doggies against us in a last quarter. Almost all bulldog players could hear him. I was on the steps and although funny, he was fearsome.

Will try and answer the questions, from a training point of view, and the fact I have attended most if not all training sessions since the start, as of today this would be my starting 22ish , of course it might not be Roos' and doesn''t include the llikes of Watts, Vince, Terlich, Riley who are coming back from injury, it is based on their fitness, form and what I have seen during the pre season

Defence - Jetta, McDonald, Dunn, Garland, Grimes Salem/Toumpas

Midfield - Jamar, Jones N, Jones M, McKenzie, Tyson, Lumumba/Cross

Forward - Hogan, Dawes (Gawn), Kent, Garlett, JKH, Fitzpatrick/Pedersen

Bench - Frost, Viney/Bail, Michie/Newton, Petracca

In other words we have serious competition

The doubles are those I can't separate, they are doing everything asked of them

As for the question on McKenzie, the proof will be during games, but his fitness, speed,kicking, link up play have been exemplary during the pre season

Think Watts was just on a light day, they all seem to get them at one stage or another

You're understanding of the list goes deeper than just a 'training level' TDI... It's not as if every single player starts every pre-season with the same number and level of attributes as their team mate.

You're basing your answer completely off this pre-season training. Have games gone by not given you any understanding of skill levels of certain players, strengths/weaknesses etc etc?

Pre-season training tells us one thing. The volume of work (namely running and strength work) an individual gets which does benefit their overall game. Of that, I have no doubt.

What do you think of the example I gave with Dan Nicholson? I saw him training a number of times and could also say his running ability, dedication to the work and professionalism was exemplary but the proof was in the pudding come game day. He just simply didn't offer enough and wasn't good enough to make it once our list management got their act together.

• Like 1

You're understanding of the list goes deeper than just a 'training level' TDI... It's not as if every single player starts every pre-season with the same number and level of attributes as their team mate.

You're basing your answer completely off this pre-season training. Have games gone by not given you any understanding of skill levels of certain players, strengths/weaknesses etc etc?

Pre-season training tells us one thing. The volume of work (namely running and strength work) an individual gets which does benefit their overall game. Of that, I have no doubt.

What do you think of the example I gave with Dan Nicholson? I saw him training a number of times and could also say his running ability, dedication to the work and professionalism was exemplary but the proof was in the pudding come game day. He just simply didn't offer enough.

Yes I understand what you are saying, but Nicholson is no longer on the list, because he couldn't lift his ceiling.

What I am trying to impart is some of the players such as Matt Jones, Jordie McKenzie and Jack Grimes have visibly lifted their skill levels in certain areas, they had to, otherwise they won't get games and it would be bye bye at seasons end

Yes they will still have to produce what they are producing on the training track on game day, but as I said in Friday's report, I am more optimistic because I am seeing the skills improve

We even had Jake Spencer take a nice grab today just on the edge of the 50, he actually outsmarted Sam Frost to take it uncontested, go back and nail an excellent set shot for a goal, which was applauded by everybody.

Roos is slowly but surely instilling the confidence that has been sadly lacking in the past, I like the way he is coaching, he is keeping it very simple, if you do the right simple thing, you are praised, if you don't do it you get a very public spray

• Like 1

Really appreciate the report's TDI as being a WA based supporter it gives a real insight.

I still cant fathom how McKenzie would be in the mix ? His disposal is and IMO will always be a liability and out of our Midfield group sits well bellow the following options Jones N, Tyson, Vince ,Lumumba, Viney ,Cross, Newton , Watts, Mitchie, Bail , Salem ,Jones M , Petracca , Brayshaw .

So he is around my 15th place midfielder - not a very glowing endorsement , but other than a string of injuries I se more value in playing a host of players before him.

Preseason training also allows you to compare the skills of players on our list, hence my question regarding where Saty saw the many mid range mids we have.

ATM Saty rates McKenzie higher than some. If he can't retain that rating in games he won't play.

• Like 4

I have noted previously that the intensity of a game seemed to produce the variance between training drills and match results.

I was keen to observe a greater focus and apparent effort just from the photos you and others supply. You and others have noted that there seems to be greater intensity than past years.

Is this continuing?

Are players pressuring each other at every contest?

Thanks heaps everyone for the reports which are filling me with a renewed enthusiasm for the season.

Roos actually knows what he is doing, McKenzie has been an outside mid in a lot of the drills and his link up work has been excellent, this is where he has been lacking in the past, Roos is obviously looking as to whether he has done the right thing and improved, McKenzie has been doing heaps of work with Cross, so his actual positioning has improved as well. Same with Grimes he is trying to set up so Grimes is the spare man, doing the Nick Maxwell role and mopping up and then bringing the ball out, his kicking is getting better and better as well, although that could be more of having runners everywhere to choose from

• Like 5

I have noted previously that the intensity of a game seemed to produce the variance between training drills and match results.

I was keen to observe a greater focus and apparent effort just from the photos you and others supply. You and others have noted that there seems to be greater intensity than past years.

Is this continuing?

Are players pressuring each other at every contest?

Thanks heaps everyone for the reports which are filling me with a renewed enthusiasm for the season.

Yes the intensity is there when they are told, they have to be careful that someone like Hogan or Dawes doesn't kill one of their own players, McCartney set his standard today with Max Gawn when the big guys were doing contested work, Maxy went half arsed in a second effort and rightly got told so by McCartney

Dawes/Jamar/Hogan is frightening to watch sometimes

Roos loves the banging bodies, there is a lot of emphasis on this when footy drills are not on

• Like 5

Really appreciate the report's TDI as being a WA based supporter it gives a real insight.

I still cant fathom how McKenzie would be in the mix ? His disposal is and IMO will always be a liability and out of our Midfield group sits well bellow the following options Jones N, Tyson, Vince ,Lumumba, Viney ,Cross, Newton , Watts, Mitchie, Bail , Salem ,Jones M , Petracca , Brayshaw .

So he is around my 15th place midfielder - not a very glowing endorsement , but other than a string of injuries I se more value in playing a host of players before him.

I appreciate TDI's training reports and admire his positive outlook, but some people think that the likes of Bail, McKenzie and Matt Jones, all well into their 20's, magically become good kicks in the pre-season. They see them hit targets on the training track under no pressure in January and February and think this will translate into games.

Just take it with a grain of salt because you know that once the real stuff starts Grimes will be putting them out on the full, Bail will miss plenty he should kick, McKenzie will shank it from 15 meters out and Matt Jones will kick the ball at peoples feet.

Aside from Hogan, it will be the development of Toumpas, Salem, Kent, Petracca, JKH, Newton etc that determines how many games we can win this year. If these young blokes that can kick can push McKenzie, Matt Jones, Bail, Grimes and eventually Cross out of the side we will improve.

• Like 6