Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training Wednesday 17th December, 2014

Grandson of a gun

Well, I thought I had a bit of free time so I might pop down, I only live 15 minutes walk from Goschs and the G that is why I can get there so often

Ball work day today, so not much running (apart from in the drills), there didn't seem to be anybody missing

Rehab group was Spencer, Riley, Stretch, Trengove, Vandenberg, Watts and Kent, joined for this session by Tommy Mc, Salem and Jetta

Spoke to both Nev Jetta and Salem, nothing sinister, just a bit of tightness after training on Monday, so light duties, Nev also was hoping to play in scratch match on Friday, reckons he owes Jimmy Toumpas one, found out why he had an issue a couple of weeks ago, after Toump shirtfronted him and tackled him, Sam Frost fell across his arm

Spoke to Aidan Riley, has been on a specific program to give him a base fitness level which he lost when he broke his leg, also working on making sure the leg can get through a full season, he says it has taken this long for him to feel confident with it

Also spoke to Bernie Vince, back doing most of the drills, no contact though, and has to remember to not snatch at high marks just yet, he can mark but only when he has time to set himself

Garlo was the volunteer for the 'guns' photo this week, but being Tasmanian he only went with one arm

Toumpas and Dunn were missing on Monday as they had an 'indoor' program, like I keep saying, Misson as total control now and the whole process is so much more professional, watched the rehab group, Alex who was running had the whole program for all of them written out and he just kept calling out what was next and who it involved

Roos very vocal today when one of the drills was not to his liking

Six was there so we should get some photos, mine will be on Twitter Demonpk

Any questions feel free

Um, not really sure what this means? Total control over fitness?? has he not had this in the past?

• Like 3

Thanks DI.

What was Hogan up to today...any sign of back problems again?

ps could you put a link to your twitter pages please (I don't have twitter a/c but can get to pics when posters put a link into post). Cheers.

Hogan was involved in some of the main drills - also spent 40 minutes in the pocket with 1 on 1 marking duels along with Dawes, King, Gawn, and Jamar. His back looked absolutely fine.

Hogan's match up was the Big Russian. He did well. Russian is so bloody big and aggressive though.

McKenzie & Harmes were tasked with kicking it in to them from around 50, Goodwin was working with those two to help their kicking. Interestingly, Bail and Viney came over as well - You might say this was a group that all needed/wanted to work on their kicking specifically.

Hogan was getting a little cranky with some of the delivery. Harmes looked down on himself with his kicking with but not sure if that's just how he is.

At one point, Hogan took an awesome one-handed slips catch of a mark right on the boundary and looked extremely happy with himself. His skills are great.

Beautiful day for training.

• Like 7

Um, not really sure what this means? Total control over fitness?? has he not had this in the past?

He has but now players properly report any slight niggle and he has the staff and the tools and the diet to properly control the whole fitness program

and the benefits are showing

Have put a pic of Hogan on Twitter, assume if he plays on Friday, he will be told to try and not kill anyone

Harmes is a young rookie who desperately wants to make it, any mistake he makes he is hard on himself and so he should be

My bet is that if Fitzy can get through preseason and get into the 22 he will be this year's Jetta, unless a player leaves or is delisted you are foolish to write them off

Health and age aren't excuses for lacking the skills required to play AFL. Despite years on the list he hasn't improved his marking or kicking techniques to anywhere close to AFL level. They still stand out at training as being below par.

With increased fitness and strength from a good preseason he should improve, but he's just too flaky to pick as a key forward I believe. If a preseason improves his ability to compete in the ruck I'd like to see him challenge Pedersen for that second ruck spot

I will admit that I did not think he had a snowballs chance in hell in making it when we drafted him. At the end on 2013 my opinion fliped 180. (like many others on here)

He looked like he was ready for a big 2014.

2014 came and we were crying out for a key forward early on. Fitzy was given some games and disapointed. But I really don't think this was ideal for him. He shouldn't be played as that number 1 or 2 key forward. He needs to be the 3rd tall / 2nd ruck.

To his credit, he returned to good form towards the end of the year. I remember Roos giving praise in a post game press conf.

In my eyes, he is already competing with Pedersen for that 2nd ruck spot in the best 22.

There were a few who wanted to trade him this year. I really wanted to keep him.

which players are struggling? Sounds like they are all doing well but that can't be true so I am keen to know who needs to lift

Anyone who has been injured recently sounds like they are struggiling. (for the obvious reason)

I fear for Watts. His positon in the best 22 is shaky as it is. It would have been great for him to have an uninterupted preseason.

He really, really needs to develop endurance so he can impact more contests. He looked exhausted at times this year.

I also worry for Garland. A usual fave of mine. He struggled to get back to his best in 2014 and is still recovering. He might soon find that others will go past him.

You will be pleased to know throughout the whole session he only put one ball down, amazing what can happen when the shoulder issues you have had since you were drafted are now fixed, he was kicking well today as well, he just loves the checkside, this will be his first full pre season if he gets through unscathed, let's wait and see

I really do hope Fitz can make it. I've backed him from before he was drafted and he would just be a great story for the club, as well as giving us another scoring option. Even if he goes at two goals a game as he has shown he can so far, that's 40+ for the season, well above what we've been getting from any players the last few years. If we got that from Fitz, Hogan and Garlett our attack would look far better.

I fear for Watts. His positon in the best 22 is shaky as it is. It would have been great for him to have an uninterupted preseason.

He really, really needs to develop endurance so he can impact more contests. He looked exhausted at times this year.

I've said it before, if you watch live games you will see Watts leading time after time and being ignored by his teammates. He will burn off his opponent and lead into wide open spaces seven or eight times to get one pass which is generally directed behind him to his opponent's advantage. It's no wonder he always looks stuffed. If we can get some better kicking and decision-making at half back and through the midfield you will see Watts' possession count skyrocket as they actually take the option he presents and put the ball to his advantage. Once the ball is in his hands there are no worries.

• Like 16

I've said it before, if you watch live games you will see Watts leading time after time and being ignored by his teammates. He will burn off his opponent and lead into wide open spaces seven or eight times to get one pass which is generally directed behind him to his opponent's advantage. It's no wonder he always looks stuffed. If we can get some better kicking and decision-making at half back and through the midfield you will see Watts' possession count skyrocket as they actually take the option he presents and put the ball to his advantage. Once the ball is in his hands there are no worries.

At last some else who watches the game!!!!

• Like 2

Has Lumumba been training in the midfield group or defensive group ? Keep on hearing that he has been doing stoppage work with the midfielders, perhaps a midfield role for him next year ?

I just read the Melbourne magazine I got in mail today and Roos says in it that lamumba will play midfield/wing role

• Like 2

I went by for a look today.

Not much to add really as most has already been said, but some observations...

- Petracca has a beautiful penetrating kick. I was watching him for while and every kick he did whether it be high and low got to his target very quickly. None of those "floaters" that seem to take forever to arrive.

- Frost was very vocal and yelling out heaps of encouragement both to the young fellas and the senior guys. Good to see from a young player who has only been at the club for 5 minutes.

- Petracca & Brayshaw in comparison seem a lot quieter and less vocal. Sure that will come with time and confidence though.

- Bit of a Roos spray after he pulled one drill up... "Now why did that break down? It's three on three and two of you are forward of the ball. It's never going to get out from there, I can tell you that!"

• Like 5

At last some else who watches the game!!!!

Yes I have noticed this and commented on it before. But why is he ignored, can't the ball holder see him? This could be part of it because my memory is of him often leading up behind the half forwards and perhaps not being as visible as a Neitz streaming out of full forward and everyone else getting out of the way. Watts doesn't command space to lead into and opposition are happy to fill a hole in front of him unlike if Neitz was on the ground! That said Watts with his talent should be playing the equivalent of the Gunston role for us, let the bigger guys take centre stage while I slip around the fringes and get my usual 3 or 4 goals a match. Of course Watts does not have the Hawks midfield delivery to work off.

• Like 2

Anyone who has been injured recently sounds like they are struggiling. (for the obvious reason)

I also worry for Garland. A usual fave of mine. He struggled to get back to his best in 2014 and is still recovering. He might soon find that others will go past him.

I have just been watching our game against Essendon on the AFL App. Watching Watts there you might like to rethink your views that he is not best 22. He is solid in my mind as he has a definite X-Factor!

• Like 3

I have just been watching our game against Essendon on the AFL App. Watching Watts there you might like to rethink your views that he is not best 22. He is solid in my mind as he has a definite X-Factor!

He was alright in that game not. But watch his GWS game at the G next time. He was absolutely soft and weak. And his second half of the year like the team was horrendous.

Watts still has a long way to go to close that gap.

Atm if guys like Newton, Salem, Michie , Toumpas start of the year real strongly Watts will find the half forward role difficult to fit in. He wont be fit enough to play in the midfield for the first half of the year due to no pre season so he will be playing alot of catch up footy.

Eh? I didn't say he wasn't best 22.

I'm simply saying he will have to work hard to stay there.

There are a lot of players competing for midfield spots now. Jack needs to build a tank. Unfortunately he is recovering from injury and again won't have a full preseason behind him.

I went to training yesterday and have been to a few others, the beauty of being a teacher on holidays.

I also coach a local football team, so I often watch lots of teams train to find new drills and ideas.

Some points I have noticed about the training:

Everything is so much more structured and organised now,Marley any instructions needed, everyone knows what is going on and where to go, it is all ingrained into them now.

All of the drills involve a lot, and I mean a lot, of hard and continuous running and work at pace. It is very realistic as the running is done in bursts,much like in game day.

A lot of the drills have the idea of team work, quick movement, run and carry

It is pleasing to see in the drills there are lots of specific smaller things being taught. In one yesterday they took a mark on the HBF boundary. They had to push back hard, look inboard for a short kick and then Rawlings who was on the mark would call play on and they would have to kick to a 1 on 1 marking duel on the boundary wing. Rawlings would praise or criticise dependent on how hard they pushed back, did they look inboard, did they kick the ball close enough to the boundary and did they kick it to advantage. All very simple ideas, but the basics must be done perfectly to be a better team. This is just one example of heaps they are now doing. (This is my coaching coming out here, but I love to see this).

The overall skills look so much better, the drills are not so difficult but the ball is moving faster and less mistakes than I can remember.

In regards to individuals, I spent a bit of time watching some for a while each lately:

Hogan is a beast and loves training, always seems to be enjoying himself and is so competitive. Enjoyed watching him compete in the 1 on 1's, he is going to monster some players, especially uses his body well when the ball is kicked to his advantage. Also really athletic and involved in other drilled, should be able to push higher up the ground too.

Oscar McDonald has really good kicking skills for a tall player, bloody skinny though.

Petracca is so powerful, his leap off no run up looks massive in the drills. Still needs to work on his kicking under fatigue, missed a few later in the session as was annoyed with himself.

Newton looks like a good old fashioned footballer, doesn't make many mistakes and does all things well.

Bradshaw looks impressive but seems to slow down a bit too much before delivery, not sure if it is my imagination, but will be interesting to see how he goes in a game. His skills on both sides are really good and his in close hands are exceptional.

Howe looks super quick at training, should be able to play more forward and use his pace and leap again.

Viney is a beast, is working super hard on his kicking skills every time I am there, but he is just a bull and is so hard to stop.

Dawes seems to be clunking more marks in one go, anymore than I can remember, which is a great sign.

HL is in everything, very vocal and highly skilled, will be a very good player for us.

Finally, Dom Tyson is a gun, if we start winning more games, get on him for a Brownlow!!! (Maybe I should not say that!) his skills are so good, he is so smooth and just glides around, best thing I saw though is that he is being more vocal, directing people, telling people off for not doing the right thing, he may be a new leader this year in my opinion.

Any questions will be happy to answer as I have seen a few sessions.

Edited by Yokozuna
  • Like 25

Great report thanks Yoko.

Any thoughts on ANB?

Didn't spend a great deal of time watching him. When I first got there it took me a while to work out who was who, with a few players sporting similar facial hair.

That being said, when I saw him kick, did not see him miss any targets. Looks like a solid player at training, but who knows what that all means until we see him in a game.