Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

50 Years as a Member of the Melbourne Football Club

Fatman Blues

A good mate of mine, known as The Professor, has just racked up his 50th year in a row as a member of the Melbourne Football Club. He is also a member of the MCC and pays for a FULL MFC membership

The 50 years in a row has been acknowledged by the Club with a small cardboard certificate.

Are they kidding????

Am I wrong to think The Professor should have received something a little more than a pizzy little cardboard certificate.

How many punters would get to 50 years in a row as a member of any Football Club. Very very few.

Surely the Club could do a wee bit better.

Rant Over

:)

He joined in 64 or 65? The worst 50 year run in our 156 year history, is he part of the curse?

• Like 1

Just a small amount of humour PD

If someone has been a member of the MFC for 50 years they most likely have the best sense of humour going around.

I have been a supporter since 1960 so that makes makes 64 years

but did not become a member till I came to live in Melbourne in the early 70's

Then I got in a huff a couple of times and let my membership lapse.

I quite often think I am a few cents short in the dollar especially over the last nine years.

Er ...um... I don't want to usurp BBO's role as chief pedant and semantics Nazi, but that is ``only'' 54 years, OD ... (I know, it probably seems like twice that long :blink:)

He joined in 64 or 65? The worst 50 year run in our 156 year history, is he part of the curse?

My thoughts too! I have to say though that you couldn't be more dedicated than that! Through all the pain and misery with only a few highlights and then more misery.... hang on, that sounds like my first marriage!

• Like 1

A good mate of mine, known as The Professor, has just racked up his 50th year in a row as a member of the Melbourne Football Club. He is also a member of the MCC and pays for a FULL MFC membership

The 50 years in a row has been acknowledged by the Club with a small cardboard certificate.

Are they kidding????

Am I wrong to think The Professor should have received something a little more than a pizzy little cardboard certificate.

How many punters would get to 50 years in a row as a member of any Football Club. Very very few.

Rant Over

Man he should at the very least be a VIP guest at the President's Luncheon before our first home game next year.......where he should be publicly thanked in front of the 'big knobs' and opposition President before his choice of 3 guests should be given the 'Presidential Mtach Day Treatment'....all after he receives a noteworthy memento.....like a signed THANKYOU photo from Ronald Dale Barassi or a special player of his choice......and all this should be broadcast on the BIG SCREEN for all the DEMON FAITHFUL to witness, appreciate, applaud and aspire to...

IMO... ....'from an MFC point of view' this achievement is this guys 15 minutes of fame...........make it something that others....like struggling middle age, middle income battlers like me...and their kids can aspire to.

When I read about things like this it just strengthens my resolve that my family and I will be not be MFC members for 50 years..........I will continue to wait patiently for that long awaited premiership to be delivered and continue to convince my kids that it is not that far off.....to continue to keep them interested. Unfortunately it is most likely that if and when it is delivered it will be in a game style we despise, by a bunch of players who have made their names at other clubs before arriving at the MFC... the result will be that supporters like me will then try to achieve some sort of personal satisfaction from the event and struggle to explain to their kids (probably teenagers by then) that loyalty is a virtue even though there is none in he AFL apart from within the supporter ranks.....and then try to explain the contradiction as to why we will not be supporting the club in future.

GET SERIOUS and GET ON WITH IT DEES.....

• Like 6

Just a small amount of humour PD

If someone has been a member of the MFC for 50 years they most likely have the best sense of humour going around.

I have been a supporter since 1960 so that makes makes 64 years

but did not become a member till I came to live in Melbourne in the early 70's

Then I got in a huff a couple of times and let my membership lapse.

I quite often think I am a few cents short in the dollar especially over the last nine years.

You either struggle with Maths or early dementia has set in old fella.

Hope it's the former. :)

You either struggle with Maths or early dementia has set in old fella.Hope it's the former. :)

Neither smithy it just feels that bloody long.

Where am I again!

Edited by old dee

Thanks Demonlanders for your excellent responses.

The Professor joined the Club in 1965 as a nine year old. I have accused him in the past of being part of the Premiership drought curse!!!!!

This is part of the email he sent me yesterday.

Fella,

I am, not for the first time, underwhelmed by the MFC.

In honour of me achieving 50 years unbroken membership of the MFC, I received a very small cardboard certificate congratulating me on 50 years membership (exactly like what I got for my 40th year only with a different number on it).

I wasn’t expecting much and I was right not to.

Professor - I know you will be reading this as I have sent you the link - well done on 50 years continuous membership of the Club that we love.

Hopefully the people in charge will find out about your magnificent achievement of 50 years continuous membership and do something more than a cardboard certificate.

Remember Professor - it is a tradition

Are they kidding????

Rant Over

My grandad.. RIP. Was a member for 50+ years. He saw all of the Premierships in the 50s and 64.

Before he passed away they acknowleded his membership by inviting him to a presidents lunch as well as my old man.

My grandad.. RIP. Was a member for 50+ years. He saw all of the Premierships in the 50s and 64.

Before he passed away they acknowleded his membership by inviting him to a presidents lunch as well as my old man.

I have written to the club ( which is not something I do) as on face value, this is very poor.

Quick repsonse !!!!

Thanks for your email. I saw this post on Demonland yesterday and have actually been working to get the contact details (or provide mine) to the person that posted this message (and ideally ‘The Professors’) to discuss this with them.

In terms of what we do for the 50+ year consecutive members it is as follows:

- Recognition certificate and pin (for each decade milestone from 10 up to 80)

- 50 year member function during the year at the MCG where all 50 year members get the chance to mingle with past and current players, staff and directors where we acknowledge their significant contribution to the Club through their memberships. Members receive a personal invitation in the mail in the months leading up to this event.

- Acknowledgement via an honour roll on the website

- Coverage of the 50 year member function on the website and social media

- Acknowledgement in either the season guide or the yearbook

The above acknowledgements are something that I personally introduced 3 years ago and we’ve had great feedback from all of our members that have been with the Club for more than 50 years consecutively. I agree that it is really important to acknowledge these members and was really disappointed to see the comments on Demonland about the perceived lack of acknowledgement for these members, who have stuck by the Club through what many would describe as at times, a challenging period in our Club’s history.

IN 2014 we had 115 members that have been members for more than 50 years consecutively, which I agree is a significant achievement.

• Like 5

Quick repsonse !!!!

Thanks for your email. I saw this post on Demonland yesterday and have actually been working to get the contact details (or provide mine) to the person that posted this message (and ideally ‘The Professors’) to discuss this with them.

- 50 year member function during the year at the MCG where all 50 year members get the chance to mingle with past and current players, staff and directors where we acknowledge their significant contribution to the Club through their memberships. Members receive a personal invitation in the mail in the months leading up to this event.

The above acknowledgements are something that I personally introduced 3 years ago and we’ve had great feedback from all of our members that have been with the Club for more than 50 years consecutively. I agree that it is really important to acknowledge these members and was really disappointed to see the comments on Demonland about the perceived lack of acknowledgement for these members, who have stuck by the Club through what many would describe as at times, a challenging period in our Club’s history.

IN 2014 we had 115 members that have been members for more than 50 years consecutively, which I agree is a significant achievement.

Thanks Nutbean - I have PM'd you with the Professor's details

Quick repsonse !!!!

"something that I personally introduced"? What the...

(a) not something that someone, rather than the club, should be taking the credit for; and

(b) not something that special that someone should want to take personal credit for anyway.

Last I looked (which was a couple of years ago) it was about $15 per year for 50 year MCC members. Not far off free though.

You are on the money mate, this is the response from a close friend who is a 50+ MCC member.

"The annual fee reduces to $15. We have a special section (N42) for seating, we have to present ourselves to the John Landy room where they issue us a reserved seat for the day(including football finals). Afternoon tea is supplied free of charge and we have an annual luncheon in November each year the cost being subsidised by the club. We also receive a 50 year members tie and badge."

Are they kidding????

Rant Over

WOW! Thats really something...50 years! Congrats Professor!

Hmm, yes...I too received this...and I just clicked over 27...It has 3 Signatures on it....Don Mclardy, Cam Schwab & Mark Neeld...saying thanks for your support around the must be 25 year mark.

I think they do need to put a lot more thought into this as these are long periods of time throwing money into the club even tough we "want" to do this anyhow as we love the club.

They also supplied a "tiny badge" to celebrate my 20 years already gone so they are trying to acknowledge even if it is late ..& tiny....

So while I don't want anything of glorious giant size magnitude ........

I think maybe some sort of Silver/gold "coloured" Members Plaque to frame or something like that would be more appropriate than a cardboard certificate as then it has more of a sense of pride around the house ect than a cert.

After all, Its not everyday there are members hitting large continuous & significant years of membership like 50!

I just received my MFC/MCC membership pack, including my 2015 Platinum Membership card for 52 years consecutive membership.

I don't expect anything from the club except the same success the club was enjoying when I first joined as a junior member.

• Like 9

I just received my MFC/MCC membership pack, including my 2015 Platinum Membership card for 52 years consecutive membership.

I don't expect anything from the club except the same success the club was enjoying when I first joined as a junior member.

Great effort Rainbow.

I hope they give you an improved result in 2015.

Go Dees

Proud of you Rainbow, loyalty personified.