Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2015 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

Whispering_Jack

11184.jpg

All of Parish's game-changing qualities were on show in the Geelong Falcons' qualifying final against North Ballarat, when he collected 27 disposals, had seven tackles, five clearances and eight inside-50s. Parish is tough, composed and is a quick-thinker: he hunts the ball, darts away and doesn't take long to make a decision. Parish tested at the combine but didn't stand out in any of the events. That shouldn't be a surprise or a worry. He's a natural footballer and one who steps up a level when the ball is there to get and offers plenty of dash.

Assuming GWS have to use 7&8 on academy players, that would mean there is only 1 live selection between pick 6 and 10 (Adelaide's pick 9)

Meaning the drop down from 6 to 10 isn't too bad

• Like 3

Assuming GWS have to use 7&8 on academy players, that would mean there is only 1 live selection between pick 6 and 10 (Adelaide's pick 9)

Meaning the drop down from 6 to 10 isn't too bad

Yeah we effectively have picks 3 and 8

• Like 1

You draft lovers will be creaming your pants now ;)

Interested to think who we might take at pick 10... with any luck we will get a very nice slider

If parish is 3 and Curnow gone by 10 another option would be Ryan Burton.

1812.jpg

Probably the most welcome sight at the combine was seeing Burton participating in events after 14 months in the rehab group overcoming the serious leg injury that wiped out his 2015 season. The South Australian half-forward, who has designs on becoming a midfielder, ran 3.09 for the 20-metre sprint and did the three-kilometre time trial in under 12 minutes – a good effort considering his preparation. Burton remains one of the most talented players in the pool: he can jump and take hangers, kick goals on both feet and tends to step up at big moments in games.

11184.jpg

All of Parish's game-changing qualities were on show in the Geelong Falcons' qualifying final against North Ballarat, when he collected 27 disposals, had seven tackles, five clearances and eight inside-50s. Parish is tough, composed and is a quick-thinker: he hunts the ball, darts away and doesn't take long to make a decision. Parish tested at the combine but didn't stand out in any of the events. That shouldn't be a surprise or a worry. He's a natural footballer and one who steps up a level when the ball is there to get and offers plenty of dash.

I'm a big fan of this kid and he'd be my selection if available.

After popping over for a quick squiz on bomberblitz (just to see how they're handling us getting pick 3) I now want him even more after seeing how many were keen on him.

The pettiness of it all

Some of the tests they do at the combine now would put our bottom 10 players to shame. Glad to see there's a lot more emphasis on skills under pressure and after fatigue. Going straight from repeat sprints to goalkicking tests, etc.

And geez, Rioli... dayum. And the kid said he wants Hawthorn to draft him? Dees, please interject!

however, if you look at prospects over the years from a combine testing point of view and compare it to their afl careers you don't get such a good match

that's why i take these tests as interesting but not very definitive

• Like 1

Yeah I think it will be Parish. His ceiling is high and if doesn't reach it he will be a consistant midfielder (Dom Tyson+ perhaps).

He seems to be that compeditive Fyfe type player in his build and constant work rate. Like Fyfe he likes to constantly keep moving in and around the contest and won't stop until he wins the ball. Not saying he will be Fyfe but we need this type of player at the club. I can't see them passing him up.

Unless

Curnow has too much fwd/mid/Stringerish potential to resist. Curnow nor Francis will slip down to 10, its tough.

Really don't know who we pick at 10.

We have loaded up on mids the last few drafts (including rookies) and this trading period. Next years draft is tipped as a 'mids' draft in which we have already given up our first rounder. This draft is a good draft early for quality talls. We have delisted 2 talls - Jamar and Fitzy. Appears to me we will load up on talls with 3 and 10. I think at 3 either Curnow or Weideman.

Viney spent time at the Hawks with Buckenara who put the Hawks list together. Buckenara's view is take the talls when you can as they are so hard to get and expensive to trade for.

• Like 1

Good point Manny. It will be interesting to see what Viney does. Most years they would say 'we will draft who we think is the best player when it is our turn to pick'. I think Parish might be a different type of mid. He stands out more then the Hoppers, Kennedy's etc. seems to have that Bontempeli x factor about him. I dunno.

I do think it might be too hard to pass up on Curnow at 3. Has a bit of everything. Love his size and how he moves and marks. Do we really think we need to take Weideman at no.3?

• Like 1

I don't think Hogan needs a tall forward partner of certain quality. He is the quality. He is the tall forward!

Now at some stage we need to draft someone as well as Max King to help play 2nd ruck and to be a tall in the forward line besides Dawes and Pedersen. And if that player is there at pick 3 then that's fine.

But what we really need is players who move the ball quickly and create scores and goal kicking power.

That might mean a nuggety inside mid who dominates clearances but more likely it's either a forward (and I don't think size is that relevant) or a player who can move the ball, break the lines and create scores.

What I'm saying is, I'd be more than happy with Parish and Milera if they are the ones we rate even if we pass up Curnow and Weiderman.

• Like 1

Jourdan Canil released Bound for Glory News Top 30 Draft Prospects today.

3. Darcy Parish

Club: Geelong Falcons

Position: Midfielder

Height: 181 cm

Weight: 73 kg

Player Comparison: Lachie Whitfield

Darcy Parish is a classy outside midfielder, who despite his flaws, should be a top five pick. Parish is a very slight framed player who has great speed. He runs hard to receive a handball or take an uncontested mark, then will keep zipping past others to break lines. Parish loves to kick, and he can often have 20 or more kicks in a game. Most will hit the targets, as he prefers to do short sharp chips. Hes a good decision maker and with that comes a high disposal efficiency. I think at AFL level that efficiency may drop a little as he will be encouraged to be bolder. Its scary that a player with so much hurt factor still has so much room to grow. Parish has become more of a goal kicker, and hes put on a bit of weight to increase his core strength. Hes got room to improve his defensive efforts, as his strong tank and speed should really see him taking down few more players. I see him growing into that Lachie Whitfield mould, but perhaps with a little more pace.

5. Aaron Francis

Club: West Adelaide

Position: Utility

Height: 191cm

Weight: 89 kg

Player Comparison: Adam Goodes

Francis is just a shade below the top two in my eyes, but hes got the potential to be a franchise cornerstone. Hes a terrific intercept mark, has tremendous athleticism and literally plays in every position. Francis has played his best footy as a third tall or key defender, as his intercept marking and ability to rebound are his two best assets. Hes also extremely strong around the contest, so he can win his own footy on the inside. His kicking is well above average, and he is quickish, so hes a good player on the outside too. I liked his smarts when playing as a forward. He lead up consistently, and he provides a great target. When the ball hits the deck, he is too big and strong for small defenders, and too agile for bigger ones. The one query I have on him is his goal kicking, but I havent seen a big enough sample size of him as a forward to say whether thats a true weakness

7. Charlie Curnow

Position: Key Forward / Midfielder

Height: 191 cm

Weight: 95 kg

Player Comparison: Jake Stringer

Curnow looks like a possible top five pick. He can be a bit lazy, often looking to engage in one on one contests, rather than leading up and using space. Having said that, hes an elite runner with a very high beep test score, so clearly hes got a strong work ethic. He gets by in under 18s with his strength, and obviously coming off that knee injury he wasnt able to show his running strength. Hes a great contested mark, he wins his own ball on the inside, and at times, his skills are usually pretty good. I think his 21/30 on the kicking test at the combine was a bit misleading. Hes a below average converter on goals, and hes not a great field kick either. Hes got a very high upside with his great frame and the ability to grow into a big-bodied midfielder, but I personally see him as a forward in the Jake Stringer role.

9. Wayne Milera

Club: Central Districts

Position: Outside midfielder / small forward

Height: 185 cm

Weight: 75 kg

Player Comparison: Shaun Burgoyne (early career)

Milera has far exceeded expectations this year. Hes a creative midfielder / half forward with some of the best skills in this draft class. Milera is a terrific decision maker and he offers something a bit different to the rest of the midfielders in this draft class, where there seems to be one or two clear options, but hell cut through the middle and pick a more damaging option that most players wouldnt even consider. Hes very agile and hard to tackle, and he loves using his speed through the centre of the ground. Milera has been the best performed junior in the top flight of the SANFL, where hes consistently found the football and chipped in for several goals on a few occasions.

10. Rhys Mathieson

Position: Midfielder

Height: 185 cm

Weight: 79 kg

Player Comparison: Jordan Lewis

I dont like to overrate players, but Mathieson has a similar style to Jordan Lewis, in the way he plays on the inside and outside. Mathieson is a big time accumulator, but its the way that he does it that really makes his 30 disposal games really impressive, despite being just an above average kick of the ball. Mathieson hunts the ball on the inside. He throws himself at the contest, and despite not being the new prototype big midfielder, his body strength in packs is advanced for his age. He knows how to position himself on the inside, and once he has the ball, he executes handpasses in traffic and out of the bottom of a pack quickly and usually to the best outside option. Mathieson is terrific on the outside too, and this is what makes him such a champion type. Mathieson is fairly quick on the outside, with a solid 20 metre burst that breaks games open. He doesnt have to run a long distance, because with the separation he creates in a short space, he gives himself enough time to launch a kick into the forward 50. Mathieson has above average skills by hand and foot, and hes a solid overhead mark too.

16. Sam Weideman

Club: Eastern Ranges

Position: Key Forward

Height: 195 cm

Weight: 91 kg

Player Comparison: Levi Casboult

Weidemans injury issues have made him an intriguing prospect, as he has so much that he must improve on. 2014 was an up and down year for the forward. He was able to play 15 games, but only kicked 19 goals and 15 behinds. His statline is poor, but recruiters will look to his best games to find out why he is so highly regarded. Again in 2015, he struggled statistically, despite receiving very good delivery from a strong midfield group. Weideman is a terrific mark of the ball. His contested marking is a standout in pack situations. However, what is most impressive is his ability to take one grab marks on the lead, particularly in sticky situations. You know if the ball is within his long reach, then he wont drop it. Hes a below average kick of the football. Hes probably one of only a handful of players in this draft class who have one truly dominant skill, but when you cannot convert simple set shots at goal, then it really hurts. Weideman plays as a true leading centre half forward, but he also has the size and skill set to play as a full forward.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of minor surprises from Paige's AFL Phantom Draft - Edition Two but most would be happy with the way her selections pan out.

4. Melbourne – Darcy Parish

Height: 181cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 25/07/1997

Recruited from: Geelong Falcons

Draft Range: Top 5

Busy midfielder who is tougher than he looks; likes to break lines, and has serious hurt-fact by foot, rarely ever missing a target. Has a tendency to always get the ball moving, and likes to play on wherever possible. Hunts the ball with intent, and is a relentless tackler. Can be pushed forward where he’s known to hit the scoreboard, but importantly is an elite ball-user on either side of his body. Bounces through congestion and has worked hard on his inside game. A really polished footballer with a nice dose of mongrel about him.

10. Melbourne - Charlie Curnow

Height: 191cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 03/02/1997

Recruited from: Geelong Falcons

Draft Range: 3-20

An athletic tall forward that plays like a midfielder, yet has the physical attributes of a Tex Walker. Is a booming kick for goal, a monster contested grab and is quite pacey given his measurements. Has a massive endurance base since playing most of his footy as a midfielder before his growth spurt. Still raw in facets of his game, but looms as a long-term prospect that could shape a club’s forward line. Tested supremely well at the combine with a 14.5 beep and backed up with a sub 10:30 3km time trial.

41: Melbourne – James Parsons

Height: 189cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 12/04/1997

Recruited from: Eastern Ranges

Range: 15-35

A tall, long-kicking midfielder who rarely wastes a disposal. Has a neat skill-set and is regarded as a strong character from his time spent in the NAB AFL Academy this year. Rates elite for speed, having great acceleration to break away from a contest or carry the ball along the wing. A sublime mover who makes good decisions.

47: Melbourne – Blake Hardwick

Height: 181cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 05/02/1997

Recruited from: Eastern Ranges

Draft Range: 30-60

A bubbly, up-in-your-face medium forward who has versatility to play as a hit-up target, as much as a crumbing, opportunist forward. Has terrific power in his legs and strength through his core, which means he always keeps his feet in a contest and can shake tackles to create opportunities. Love his break-away speed from a contest, has regularly been referred to as a ‘poor man’s Petracca’ with similar traits, however not as prolific. Kicked 45.16 for the Ranges this year, and averaged four marks a game.

* not quite sure about her draft order in light of the bidding system but I'll leave that to the experts.

Hardwick has regularly been referred to as a poor mans Petracca with similar traits...

Not bad. Christian Petracca hasn't yet played a single game of AFL but there's already a poor man version of him out there. :lol:

You gotta love this forum sometimes Jack, its a killer hehehhhhheheeh