Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - ALEX NEAL-BULLEN

Whispering_Jack

Knightmare from Big Footy seems to rate him pretty highly. Seems to think he'll be right to go from next year. Going to be plenty of competition for midfield places!

21. Alex Neal-Bullen (SA – Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 09/01/1996
Recruited from: Glenelg
Draft range: 20-50
Best position/role: Midfield – on the ball.
Strengths:
Work by hand –What most stands out with Neal-Bullen is his awareness in traffic to find the best player by hand, he will at times gamble looking for the opening but he typically finds the most damaging target.
Inside game – In addition to what Neal-Bullen does by hand he at stoppages is consistently in close, in the best positions to either win his own contested ball or to receive the inside ball to win the clearances. He had the highest clearance winning total through the U18 Championships and has shown at SANFL League level that he can also win the clearances. He has excellent contested ball winning numbers and is a terrific contested ball winner showing hardness at the footy, and a real cleanness at ground level.
Endurance – Neal-Bullen has among the best endurance of the midfielders in this draft and it is obvious watching how much ground he covers in game and how many contests he gets to. He is someone who just never seems to stand still in game really showing in game a terrific work rate.
Season one ready – Neal-Bullen has played and played very well at SANFL League level showing that he can compete against men and find and win his own footy against men which suggests that he can from season one play senior games if the opportunity presents.
Versatility – Although he by far and away is best suited on the ball through the midfield he has also spent time in the back half this season so while he probably will be more a pure midfielder he can as required be played in the back half.
Pace - Neal-Bullen is not a plodder and can at times use his pace in game. He can provide some run and carry with ball in hand or break away from the contest and occasionally can get himself out of trouble in traffic to then get a handball off to a target or a quick kick away.
Weaknesses:
Footskills under pressure and decision making – Neal-Bullen in traffic by foot will often just get the ball onto his boot hoping it hits a target, really at this stage just lacking composure. Because he gets so much ball in close making it a reoccurring theme and a constant frustration with his game but at times he can hit a meaningful target from these situations so he is someone who will go for damage over efficiency and it will be a learning process to know when to hit the meaningful target and when to go safe. Give him time and space through and his footskills while still slightly inconsistent are on the most part generally good mostly hitting his targets over a variety of distances, making better decisions and occasionally doing damage and even at times lowering his eyes, but on the inside he just needs that bit more composure and needs to take more time on his kicks than he does at the present time.
Outside game – At this stage Neal-Bullen finds a high proportion of his ball inside the contest and surprisingly despite his endurance and work rate he finds limited outside ball as someone who is very much an inside midfielder first at the moment.
What I expect will improve:
I mostly with Neal-Bullen anticipate the natural and continued improvement in the areas that he performs strongly in and specifically his inside game.
Who he can become?
Through the midfield Neal-Bullen is of similar quality and production to Anthony Miles.
When will he be ready to play?
Neal-Bullen has the ability to play as soon as season one and fit in at AFL level given his strong SANFL League performance.
How to best utilise him?
Neal-Bullen is best utilised on the ball through the midfield.
Interpretation of his numbers:
Neal-Bullen’s numbers have been exceptional both through the U18 Championships and at SANFL League level this season and is among the best performed players in this draft class. Through the U18 Championships he led all participants in clearances and was also one of the dominant contested ball winners throughout. What was troubling was troubling through the U18 Championships his low disposal efficiency of 54%. Through the SANFL at league level Neal-Bullen has shown that he can not only play at the level but also find strong numbers suggesting that he will be able to make the adjustment to playing at AFL level and if opportunity presents from season one.

Why did he slide to 40?

Probably the same reason as Sloane and Parker, not an athlete.

This guy looks like our best chance to really nail that late pick.

His highlights look similar to Luke Parker.

Just off highlights alone, if Neal Bullen has a solid pre-season, I will be specking him in the rising star markets.

Why did he slide to 40?

- Lack of x factor/speed

- Poor disposal efficiency, occasionally just hacking it out of packs

- Black hair/blue eyes, rare genetic trait

- Has the same B'day as Angus Brayshaw and best mates with Billy Stretch, other clubs knew he had to be ours

• Like 4

Just off highlights alone, if Neal Bullen has a solid pre-season, I will be specking him in the rising star markets.

Not a speed athlete! Looks a great endurance athlete and like Brayshaw and Petracca (and JKH last year) he's had the year off from school already to really focus on being ready for the draft and preseason. Combined with some life experience going to uni I think that gives him a shot at playing well early.

The main reason I wouldn't have him in the Rising Star would be that along with Ben Newton all 4 of our top draftees look capable of playing early. Not saying they all are, but just how Salem and JKH were rotated in to the starting team a bit this year I think next year we will rotate the first year guys between the starting team, sub and VFL.

Why did he slide to 40?

Looking at the highlights I'd say it's his kicking. he seems to have great hands and good acceleration away from the packs, can mark and tackle well, but I only saw a couple of kicks hit their targets in that highlight package. In traffic he actually looked a bit like Moloney with the blind turn and boot it forward. That's something that will need a lot of work once we get him to the club.

Tested like an elite endurance athlete at the combine.

Looking at the highlights I'd say it's his kicking. he seems to have great hands and good acceleration away from the packs, can mark and tackle well, but I only saw a couple of kicks hit their targets in that highlight package. In traffic he actually looked a bit like Moloney with the blind turn and boot it forward. That's something that will need a lot of work once we get him to the club.

Simple. Let's just play him half back or wing for a while! He'll compete with his tackling and competitiveness and he can work on his kicking from there. Should benefit from the Casey development system that seemed to use the youngsters in a variety of positions last year for that reason.

I am going to go early and nickname him....'Archie'.....short for Architect,.....because from what I have seen he has elite spacial awareness and always appeared to have a plan when he wins the ball.......his highlight videos take me back to watching Adem Yze in his prime when he would win the ball at half-back, get out of trouble, and start directing traffic up field to put all the pieces(players) in place for an effective attack before releasing the ball.

Welcome ANB aka Archie.

Go Dees

Came across this, some may enjoy.

Great interview. The Club is certainly picking up high calibre players who will lead to a great culture! Thanks to the foresight of our recruiting team!

Loves the hard stuff and tackling. Surrounded by Jones, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca.... I did have some fears where he'll fit in with all those ball winners, but it's come to me now with elite endurance I think he could make a great tagger. Not a Jordie Mckenzie tagger but more like Ryan O'Keefe or Craig Bird swans style tagger.

• Like 1

Loves the hard stuff and tackling. Surrounded by Jones, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca.... I did have some fears where he'll fit in with all those ball winners, but it's come to me now with elite endurance I think he could make a great tagger. Not a Jordie Mckenzie tagger but more like Ryan O'Keefe or Craig Bird swans style tagger.

Ball winners are needed all over the ground.

Ball winners are needed all over the ground.

Yeah but if he lacks the burst to play forward or the speed and skill off half back or the wing I think he could learn and take over from Crossy. Tagging is very underrated I think. It's a full time midfield position going against the other teams best player. He certainly helps get us to that idea of 10+ midfielders in the team in a variety of positions, just tagging could be one.

He also looks a bit like Trent Cotchin in his highlight vids, so maybe who knows he ends up so good that he's the main man and Petracca and Brayshaw have to play roles around him. You never know.

• Like 2