Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

What his manager said about Mitch walking away was a massive favour to the club is the biggest load I've ever heard. Very typical manager speak to make himself and his client look better.

Now all that said, hearing what Mitch said himself was heartening. Without knowing the facts, I believe the issues is what many have said, that the MFC and MC's manager are at odds on how he should return and on what coin. I am certainly in the mould that Mitch owes us for how we have handled him situation and that a one year contract on a relatively low salary is fair from our point of view. Ideally I'd like to see him rookie listed as it would mean he isn't burdened with the full load and expectation of an AFL player, and if he fails to meet requirements it's less damaging to him and the club, but I feel that his manager will never accept that.

Seeing some of the footage with him in Red and Blue made me remember how much joy and passion he brought on the field, I just hope he can remember that as well.

Gut feeling is that he is likely going to another club, but hopefully Roos and PJ can find a way to convince him he's a demon. I really wonder how much his manager has been in his ear about being able to maximise his potential contract, rather than considering that just returning to football is another stage of recovery.

And FWIW I know there have been a lot on hear questioning the validity of his depression, fact is we are in no position to know his mental health. Roos and the club are taking the matter very seriously and I trust that they'll do what they can to get the best result for us.

My two penn'orth as I see it:

- MC was legitimately depressed and needed to get away from footy.

- MFC did the right thing in assisting him in whatever way they could with his recovery.

- MC says to MFC, "I'm feeling good, there's a chance I may want to come back and play."

- MFC says to MC, "Great, we'd love to have you back at the club if everything's good - let's put you on a plan to get back to fitness."

- MC, according to his social media and whispers around MFC going well.

- MFC keen to look at getting MC back, but need to do due diligence for both MC and MFC (possibly suggesting rookie spot to start with?) as we are now a Roos/Jackson-led "buy in or get knotted" organisation.

- MC manager sees his golden goose getting duck eggs for a while and puts the word out, leading to interest from 6 clubs (note interest and not clamouring for services).

- This puts MFC on the back foot as they had assumed that there was an agreement that they'd get first refusal after doing due diligence.

- Roos now having to decide about talking MC up for possible PP or talking him down to stop other clubs sniffing.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'd assume Roos feels pretty let down and that may be enough to assume MC will be traded.

It has taken 2510 posts and now there are the two best summations of the situation right there together.

• Like 2

And FWIW I know there have been a lot on hear questioning the validity of his depression, fact is we are in no position to know his mental health. Roos and the club are taking the matter very seriously and I trust that they'll do what they can to get the best result for us.

It's the same old suspects on here questioning his health. I won't question whether he was ill or not. You can certainly see that those closer to him like Roos are taking his mental health issues seriously.

I do again quote Dermie " Depression doesn't exonerate you from doing right or wrong".

• Like 2

Maybe Roos said to Clark yesterday "this is what we are willing to offer you, go away and think about it, if that's not enough for you, we'll find a suitable trade".

I think it's more likely that the club has not had the chance to do any of its due diligence yet because the dialogue with Clark has only just started. We're still talking about this story as if it's finished when it's only just starting.

I have no reason to believe the conversation went any differently to how Roos said it did and I'd be staggered if money has mentioned at this stage.

• Like 2

I wonder if the AFL has said we are a chance for a PP if we lose both Frawley and Mitch and Roos is hesitant to pass up a potential PP to sign a bloke with Injury and health issues who may not make it back anyway?

• Like 1

I think it's more likely that the club has not had the chance to do any of its due diligence yet because the dialogue with Clark has only just started. We're still talking about this story as if it's finished when it's only just starting.

He's been training with an MFC staff member.

You really think this story has only just begun?

MFC and MC have surely been in close contact for a long time.

• Like 1

All of roosy's recruitment strategies to this point would favour a ready to play star in their prime (ie Mitch) over a priority pick. The club obviously knows some vital info that we don't have to be considering going with the draft rather than welcoming Mitch back with open arms. As others have assumed, my guess is Mitch's body is either crocked or mentally he's not ready for the caning that the group is up for this preseason.

If Roos only met Clark yesterday and didn't refute claims that he wasn't going to play with Melbourne.

What has happened from when he began training to that meeting?

All of roosy's recruitment strategies to this point would favour a ready to play star in their prime (ie Mitch) over a priority pick. The club obviously knows some vital info that we don't have to be considering going with the draft rather than welcoming Mitch back with open arms. As others have assumed, my guess is Mitch's body is either crocked or mentally he's not ready for the caning that the group is up for this preseason.

Not sure Mitch is ready to play leucopogon. Reckon if he was to be contracted next year it would take him the better part of the season to get fit and healthy enough. But that's something I have no knowledge of.

How about this option: we release Mitch, get a PP as a result and trade that pick for another "ready to play star"? Sloan, Dangermouse, Beams, Parker or even Tom Mitchell would better suit our immediate need for midfielders. Love Mitch and wish him well, but I'd rather see one or more of those guys on our list next year. That would go a long way towards fixing our midfield issues.

• Like 1

He's been training with an MFC staff member.

You really think this story has only just begun?

MFC and MC have surely been in close contact for a long time.

Roos, Clark and Mahoney all said that yesterday was the first time that Clark had discussed his intentions with the club. Young said Clark needed to have his physical and mental health assessed by the club, which would determine his suitability for a return. Training on a Misson programme notwithstanding, this sounds like baby steps to me, not rush out and put an offer on the table.

The "might return but not at the MFC" stuff just sounds like management bluster to me.

I'm not saying he will or won't return, by the way. The vibe I'm getting from all this is not positive or negative, more of a too early to say vibe.

• Like 4

When mitch retired he said that part of his anxiety was because he wasn't playing and helping the club whilst being paid good money, adding to the pressure on him

If he now decides to put money at a higher priority to his health and goes to the highest bidder it seems to me he is again just putting himself into another pressure situation.

melbourne's approach is a see how it goes, start as a rookie, get back to playing and good health then get a new contract, which seems a better approach putting his mental and physical health as a first priority. I'm dubious about claims of medical advice to jump into a new start environment especially if it is based on money.

• Like 7

When mitch retired he said that part of his anxiety was because he wasn't playing and helping the club whilst being paid good money, adding to the pressure on him

If he now decides to put money at a higher priority to his health and goes to the highest bidder it seems to me he is again just putting himself into another pressure situation.

melbourne's approach is a see how it goes, start as a rookie, get back to playing and good health then get a new contract, which seems a better approach putting his mental and physical health as a first priority. I'm dubious about claims of medical advice to jump into a new start environment especially if it is based on money.

I understand this is speculation but it does resonate with me.

I will add to the speculation and suggest he has a manager whispering in his ear "why be a rookie when I can get you $$'s"

What GNF said, that was later reported by the Ox, was essentially that Mitch had screwed us over and told us he's going elsewhere

After that, popular opinion seems to have morphed into a story about us not wanting Mitch

The second story is easier to deal with emotionally but I don't think it's the truth

If the second story is a fabrication from the club it doesn't help us cos it drops his trade/compo value

this second story was all over facebook minutes after barrett broke the story on footy show

I understand this is speculation but it does resonate with me.

I will add to the speculation and suggest he has a manager whispering in his ear "why be a rookie when I can get you $$'s"

The incentives on the part of management mean there is always the potential for perverse outcomes. Yet ultimately the decision is Mitch's and if he feels he owes us and that the terms are fair (to him), he'll sign. Once Mitch is clear with his management, they'll do what he wants.

The incentives on the part of management mean there is always the potential for perverse outcomes. Yet ultimately the decision is Mitch's and if he feels he owes us and that the terms are fair (to him), he'll sign. Once Mitch is clear with his management, they'll do what he wants.

manager waves around big bucks - "come over to the dark side Luke"

I don't care.

He can do what he likes.

All I know is that Roos is seething.....our coach analyses character as well as skill.

I think it is sentiment that doesn't interest Roos.

We are all so upset because of the promise of what Mitch Clark was.

What he is right now is a damaged footballer with questionable prospects of playing football.

We were going to use his unfortunate fall from grace to lobby for a PP from what I could tell from comments from Jackson and Roos.

To Roos, that need for assistance doesn't change because Clark is thinking about 'giving it another go'...

That happy change of heart and health promises nothing in 2015 and beyond.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

Interesting point made earlier re PP. The language of Roos last night seemed that he was very hesitant on welcoming Mitch back, trying to suggest that its actually unlikely he will come back.

Perhaps it is all positioning in order to prevent the PP being put in jeopardy. Given the PP is decided before the end of October, maybe they are keeping their powder dry.

• Like 1

Not sure Mitch is ready to play leucopogon. Reckon if he was to be contracted next year it would take him the better part of the season to get fit and healthy enough. But that's something I have no knowledge of.

How about this option: we release Mitch, get a PP as a result and trade that pick for another "ready to play star"? Sloan, Dangermouse, Beams, Parker or even Tom Mitchell would better suit our immediate need for midfielders. Love Mitch and wish him well, but I'd rather see one or more of those guys on our list next year. That would go a long way towards fixing our midfield issues.

Yeah, that makes sense, brain fogged from lack of sleep last night.