Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Essendon v Casey Scorpions

My spies tell me that Jamar and Riley were managed with their game time because of the fact that they were coming back after long lay offs. That's unfortunate in Jamar's case because, as was pointed out in the above post, we need both he and Gawn back in the Melbourne team ASAP.

I'd rather see Nicholson than Grimes, both have shocking disposal, but at least Nicholson is going to run hard and have a fair dinkum crack

I would go Strauss, Clisby or Jetta before either Sassy.

Effective disposal % up to Rnd 17 Last year was....

• Strauss 87.8% (Ranked 1st)
  • Jetta 87.1% (2nd)
  • Clisby 83.2% (3rd)
  • Grimes 74.9% (14th)
  • Nicholson 65.6% (29th)
  • Like 2

Toumpas with 22 touches played off half back and wing. Very good today apparently. Michie with 14 in the middle but heavily tagged. Trenners about 24 playing mid and half forward with a goal. People should check their facts. Jordie was terrific today as was Nicholson. Salem looked good too when he had the ball. Jamar was good when he was played but as noted previously, his time was managed. I love the look of Pig Dog. He will be a handy In when ready.

• Like 4

Toumpas with 22 touches played off half back and wing. Very good today apparently. Michie with 14 in the middle but heavily tagged. Trenners about 24 playing mid and half forward with a goal. People should check their facts. Jordie was terrific today as was Nicholson. Salem looked good too when he had the ball. Jamar was good when he was played but as noted previously, his time was managed. I love the look of Pig Dog. He will be a handy In when ready.

Who the hell is Pig Dog?

I'd rather see Nicholson than Grimes, both have shocking disposal, but at least Nicholson is going to run hard and have a fair dinkum crack

I would counter that last stat with another very important one though Sassy.... oversight on my part. We need to actually get the ball and players need to know what patterns to run and places to run to where they can be on the end of it as well.

Average Effective Disposals (per game) to Rnd 17 Last Season

• Clisby 17 (Ranked equal 1st)
  • N Jones 17 (1)
  • Grimes 15.7 (3)
  • M Jones 13.9 (5)
  • Evans 10.6 (18)
  • Nicholson 9.1 (19)
  • Strauss 8 (23)
  • Jetta 7 (27)

If you had to make a choice between the 3 (Clisby, Nicholson or Grimes) on stats alone (and i realise that doesn't happen) this stat and "effective disposal %" would suggest that Clisby should be considered for a guernsey just ahead of Grimes and a long way before Nicholson.

Edited by Rusty Nails

I would counter that last stat with another very important one though Sassy.... oversight on my part. We need to actually get the ball and players need to know what patterns to run and places to run to where they can be on the end of it as well.

• N Jones 17 (1)
  • Grimes 15.7 (3)
  • M Jones 13.9 (5)
  • Evans 10.6 (18th)
  • Nicholson 9.1 ((19th)
  • Jetta 7 (27th)

If you had to make a choice between the 3 this and the effective disposal % suggests that Clisby should be considered for a guernsey just ahead of Grimes and a long way before Nicholson/Jetta.

Nicholson is also second at our club in terms of long distance running, with an interchange cap that's an asset that can't be considered through stats.

Here is my rough run down, I don't pretend I am anything more than a rank amateur but here goes.

It was a fairly ordinary game with lots of errors by both sides in the first half and only improved a little in the second.

Either side could have ended the other by reasonable kicking for goal, as the score show both licked 14 points and lots of then were not hard shots.

I thought only three players played well enough to be included in the seniors, I would add that they would only get games at the MFC.

No idea what happened in Sydney other than losing by 5, probably some spots available for next week.

Jamar easily beat his opponents all day as he should at this level. NOT the level of 2010 but I would play him next week in the senior team.

Mckenzie had a scratchy start but improved to be IMO in the best three.

Clisby was solid and kicked a beautiful goal in the last quarter after a hard attack down the Bowling green side of the ground. At that point I thought he had sealed the Game.

Jetta IMO he won the game for Casey in the second half when shifted from the backline to Mid / Forward. Very good game pity he is on the rookie list was way better than about most of our listed players.

The rest should be playing with Casey next week.

Nicholson played well but his disposal was the normal, he is a VFL player.

King tried hard but with lack of weight is easily pushed aside, 2017 before he is more than Casey

No. 76 VFL standard IMO

Trengove better second half but he looks nothing like a number No.2 draft pick, had a reasonable game but again barely made the distance when kicking from about 40 out in the last quarter.

Toumpas played mainly in defense, average game, did do a couple of beautiful kicks out of defense in the second half.

Blease played well in the second half but is still a flash in and out of the game for me.

Michie reasonable game but VFL At this point.

Riley got a fair bit of the ball but was either too slow or tried to do too much, got caught with the ball a lot.

Hope that gives a bit of info

PS Dawes and Garland were sitting 5 meters from me in the third quarter, story of our year.

Fire away guys I will do my best.

PS Great to go to a game and see a win

The only KPF on the ground IMO was Smith for Casey I think he is way better that any fit KPF on the MFC list.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 8

• N Jones 17 (1)
  • Grimes 15.7 (3)
  • M Jones 13.9 (5)
  • Evans 10.6 (18)
  • Nicholson 9.1 (19)
  • Strauss 8 (23)
  • Jetta 7 (27)

If you had to make a choice between the 3 (Clisby, Nicholson or Grimes) on stats alone (and i realise that doesn't happen) this stat and "effective disposal %" would suggest that Clisby should be considered for a guernsey just ahead of Grimes and a long way before Nicholson.

This completely excludes the idea that a significant part of a backmans job is to negate his opponent. Would be very surprised if Nicholson is not brought in to play on Jeff Garlett Edited by goodoil

Nicholson is also second at our club in terms of long distance running, with an interchange cap that's an asset that can't be considered through stats.

Yes but there's elite runners all through the league now Sassy. We need elite runners plus those who can get it or get on the end of it, plus have a decent efficiency level (ie., close to the League average of approx 70% in 2013).

Nicholson at around 65% isn't quite up to it (not alone though....read on). Although he may have improved over the off season i'll give you that. In addition he is well ahead of Blease (57%) and Bail (56.8%). If it was between him and Bail i'd say yes to Nicho for sure. Not Grimes though. While losing Grimes to Clisby might be a gain, i'm not sure Nicho for Grimes would be at this point. I could well be wrong though. As i mentioned, Nicho might have stepped things up in the off season so who knows and Grimes may have dropped off from last season.

Edited by Rusty Nails

No and I did not see him anywhere[/quote

Kent played for Melbourne today too by the way.

Sorry CB but a number of players did not have the listed number was hard to see who some were.

Change to ever was 76

This completely excludes the idea that a significant part of a backmans job is to negate his opponent. Would be very surprised if Nicholson is not brought in to play on Jeff Garlett

No it doesn't. You're incorrectly making that assumption.

That's why i said ..."if you had to make a choice between the 3 on stats alone (and i realise that doesn't happen)"

ie., addressing Sassy's post and recognising the fact that stats are only an indicator of what HAS happened in the past (and sometimes a very poor one), definitely not a panacea for everything on the field or team roles/selections etc.

You may well be correct.

Edited by Rusty Nails

So today I decided to head down to Windy Hill instead of watching our boys against the Giants. In the stands sat Garland, Dawes and Tapscott – Tapscott with strapping around his Right Quad. No sign of Strauss and Gawn who I actually thought might be a chance of playing today – the mystery injury curse has struck again!

Anyway, for the most parts the game was pretty sloppy. There was a 2 goal wind blowing towards the city (?) end and I think it affected a lot of the skill level. It wasn’t great viewing but surely couldn’t have been worse than the game up at Blacktown!

So with 27 minutes on the clock, Casey were an even 4 goals in front and the game appeared to be all over, espescially as some quarters had been awfully short. But from the 27 to 34 minute mark, Bombers kicked 5 goals to put themselves 1 goal up. Surely this was game over. No. Centre Clearance to Casey through Aiden Riley and Jetta takes a big pack mark, his second for the day, (yes his second contested pack mark!!) and kicks truly to level the score with 35 minutes on the clock. Back to the centre and another Casey clearance; with some incredible dash and flair Blease grabs the ball, puts on the after burners and kicks truly with 36 minutes on the clock to put Casey one goal up!! Siren blows at 36:20.

Now, heres the wrap up of our Melbourne Listed Players:
Trengove: Played across half back and half forward for 75% of the day and looked slow and disinterested at some points. It wasn’t what we wanted to see from Jack. He had one terrible holidng the ball called against him early in the game where again he was caught with no awareness and very slow. His 25% of the time in the middle was more fruitful as he got his hands on it a bit, but overall not a great game for him.

Jamar: Looked very underdone and slow early. He warmed into the game, but didn’t have much game time. The only time he looked like he cared was after Michie got flattened and there was a bit of heat in the game leading up to half time. Interestingly though my Essendon mate I was sitting with though he looked good in the ruck. I think though he will need another week at Casey before coming up to the seniors.

Blease: Was very flat early and struggled to get into the game. Had a bad dropped mark and shank kick early in the first quarter playing across half back. But as the game went on he improved. Rotated through the wing and deep forward and ended up with a lot of possession, particularly in the last quarter. Had some textbook run and bounces which was good to see, and also put in some pretty good chases; also had some excellent possession where he was clean and looked like he had far more time than anyone else. Got a bad knock in the 3rd quarter which split his eye open but he kept running on. Should be picked for the dees next week.

Michie: Started the game very well and gained a lot of the ball through the middle but dropped off as the game went on. Had a big knock which I think explains his limited involvement in the game after half time.

Toumpas: A very good game. Looked good with ball in hand and ran well for most parts. Played through the guts and across half forward. Should have a look in to be selected next week.

McKenzie: Ran hard, tackled and chased well. Even got a bit of ball for himself, and his skill looks to have improved. (Must be the only player on our list who has done so!) Not sure what his role is going to be in the dees moving forward but he put his hand up today.

Salem: This was my first look at Salem and I thought he did well. Didn’t set the world on fire but was clean by foot and looked OK in traffic. Will be better after 4-6 VFL games.

Harmes: I like what I see with this kid. He had mongrel in him and was in constant tussles with the opposition all day. He is a go-er and looks like he wears his heart on the sleeve. Was good to see some passion.
Hunt: Very impressive flashes throughout the game. This kid is quick. At ¼ time he was the only one the coach singled out for taking the game on which was funny because the coach slagged the playing group for playing the ‘Paul Roos game’ of high possession, and maintaining the ball. It was interesting as I then looked to Trengove who had a perplexed look on his face!

King: Its funny watching this guy play – he is so skinny and lanky but goes ok. Worth hanging onto for a few years I rekon though.
Jetta: Actually did alright up forward. Had the 2 contested pack marks I mentioned earlier and was handy around the ground. Got a few knocks but kept motoring on.
Riley: First time I have seen him play and I though he was ok. Goes for the ball hard and won plenty of the ball. Reminds me a bit of Jack Viney. Will improve from here.
Nicholson: Honestly didn’t notice him much. I see that he got mentioned in the best above but really I didn’t think he had much of an impact.
Clisby: Was very solid in defence and could have earned himself a spot after todays game. Like a lot of the other players today he didn’t dominate and came in and out of the game but what he did do was good.

Who should earn a call up after today: Blease, Toumpas, Clisby & Mckenzie (but whats his role going to be with Vince, Cross, Jones and Tyson?) and Nicholson (as I said seemed to miss all of his possession today)

Casey Players that played well: Smith, Page

• Like 9

Here is my rough run down, I don't pretend I am anything more than a rank amateur but here goes.

Great work OD, really enjoyed the read.

Did you notice Salem at all?

From afl website, they are talking up jack t's game

"FORMER Melbourne captain Jack Trengove has responded in encouraging style to his omission, playing a central role in the Casey Scorpions' six-point win over Essendon's VFL team at Windy Hill on Sunday."

Jack definitely being talked up on the MFC site/report … also positive raps for Toumpas, Clisby, McKenzie and Jetta. Surely Neville deserves a run? (though I believe Georgio is our promoted rookie at the moment, even with Mitch on LTI)

Hidden amongst that article is that Jamar still needs 2 or 3 weeks at the VFL. Presumably same will apply, eventually, for Dawes and Hogan, so if we see either of those two in the firsts before mid-season, I'd be surprised.

No it doesn't. You're incorrectly making that assumption.

That's why i said ..."if you had to make a choice between the 3 on stats alone (and i realise that doesn't happen)"

ie., addressing Sassy's post and recognising the fact that stats are only an indicator of what HAS happened in the past (and sometimes a very poor one), definitely not a panacea for everything on the field or team roles/selections etc.

You may well be correct.

Youre only using one stat

• Like 1

Youre only using one stat

That's correct. The stat that relates to what the poster was referring to :rolleyes:

Original post from Sassy......

"I'd rather see Nicholson than Grimes, both have shocking disposal, but at least Nicholson is going to run hard and have a fair dinkum crack" end