Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

There are nine months to go to the 2014 AFL National Draft but I thought it would be worthwhile starting a thread on it after I picked up this year's AFL Prospectus produced by Champion Data.

The Prospectus has a section on the upcoming draft and (with the exception of those who played bottom aged in last year's national under 18s) it's often the first place where you will find the names of those who will dominate football talk when the season's over.

The Prospectus features the top 25 prospects at this point in time and the draft section starts with an analysis of how its 2013 predictions went in last year's draft.

Of last year's batch 8 players were picked in the top 10, 14 in the top 25 and altogether 18 were drafted with another 3 rookied. Christian Salem was one of the top ten selections.

The two who made top ten from outside the Prospectus Potential Top-25 were Tasmania's Kade Kolodajshnij who was taken by Gold Coast and Nathan Freeman who went to Collingwood at pick 10.

I will cover the 2014 Potential Top-25 here from time to time but I thought I would kick things off with one of the 25 who has already created some interest at the club.

BILLY STRETCH Glenelg Midfielder 180cm Resembles: Luke Breust

With Dad Steven playing 164 matches for Melbourne, Billy is eligible to join the club in 2014 under the Father-Son rule. Stretch is a hard running outside midfielder who at times has also been used as a running defender. He averaged 14 disposals across three 2012 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships and in that year also played four matches for Glenelg Under-18s where he averaged 22 disposals and five marks per game. In 2013, between school commitments at Immanuel College, he played a further five SANFL matches as well as in nine Reserve matches. In his only NAB AFL Under 18 Championships match, he had 12 disposals and 10 uncontested possessions from 69 minutes of play.

FREAKO: Not in the Jack Viney mould but another son-of-a-gun ready to pull on a Demons' jumper.

Another familiar name on the list is midfielder Angus Brayshaw (nephew of the North Melbourne President) who did a week's work experience with the Demons in January along with Stretch.

Another familiar name on the list is midfielder Angus Brayshaw (nephew of the North Melbourne President) who did a week's work experience with the Demons in January along with Stretch.

I am sure Brayshaw would be over the moon if we picked up his kid ahead of North!

What was he like when he trained with us?

Before going into the AFL PROSPECTUS TOP-25 Rankings I thought we should consult the Bigfooty experts:-

KNIGHTMARE 2014 DRAFT POWER RANKINGS:

Potential A-graders

1. Peter Wright (VIC - KPF/Ruck)

2. Patrick McCartin (VIC - KPF)

3. Sam Durdin (SA - KPP)

4. Angus Brayshaw (VIC – Mid)

5. Brayden Maynard (VIC – Def/Mid)

6. Christian Petracca (VIC - Fwd)

7. Jake Lever (VIC - Def)

8. Hugh Goddard (VIC - KPF)

9. Peter Bampton (SA – Mid)

10. Alec Waterman (WCE – WA - Mid - F/S)

11. Lachlan Weller (QLD – Mid)

12. Jack Hayes (SA – KPF)

13. Jarrod Pickett (WA – Util)

14. Clem Smith (WA - Util)

15. Dylan Winton (WA – Mid/Util)

Potentially high level footballers

16. Billy Stretch (Melb – SA - F/S)

17. Liam Dawson (QLD – Util)

18. Bradley Walsh (WA – Mid)

19. Tom Lamb (VIC – Fwd/KPF)

20. Ryan Lim (WA – Mid/Fwd)

21. Isaac Heeney (NSW – Mid)

22. Jackson Nelson (VIC - Mid)

23. Liam Griffiths (NSW – Mid)

24. Liam Duggan (VIC – Def/Mid)

25. Daniel Capiron (VIC – Def/Mid)

26. Jordan Cunico (VIC – Fwd/Mid)

27. Joe Maishman (VIC – Mid)

28. Matthew Hammelmann (QLD – KPF)

29. Sam Bevan (WA – KPF)

30. Jesse Watchman (SA - KPF)

31. Jack Cripps (WA – KPF/Ruck)

32. Matthew Ah Siu (WA – Fwd/KPF)

33. Tyler Keitel (WA - KPF)

34. Mac Bower (SA – Fwd)

35. Alex Harnett (VIC - Mid)

36. Touk Miller (VIC – Mid)

37. Jaden McGrath (VIC – Mid)

38. Bohdi Walker (VIC – Mid)

39. Peter Spurling (SA – Ruck)

40. Jake Maher (VIC – Mid)

41. Alex Urban (VIC – Mid)

42. Darcy Moore (Coll - F/S – VIC – KPF/Ruck)

43. Sean McLaren (VIC – KPD/Ruck)

44. Jack Donkersley (SA – Fwd)

Best of the rest

45. Jake Johansen (SA – Fwd)

46. Christian Buykx-Smith (VIC – Def)

47. Jayden Short (VIC – Mid)

48. Jarrod Garlett (WA –Fwd/Mid)

49. Marc Pittonet (VIC – Ruck)

50. Duom Dawam (VIC – Ruck)

Knightmare's early phantom draft ranks the clubs on where he thinks they'll finish and will change over time but FWIW, this is his PD:-

#1 GWS – Peter Wright VIC, KPF/Ruck, 202cm

#2 Melbourne – Patrick McCartin VIC, KPF, 192cm

#3 St Kilda – Sam Durdin SA, KPP, 195cm

# 4 Brisbane – Hugh Goddard VIC, KPP, 194cm

#5 West Coast – Jarrod Pickett WA, Util, 177cm

#6 Richmond – Angus Brayshaw VIC, Mid, 184cm

#7 Geelong – Jake Lever VIC, Def, 188cm

#8 Port Adelaide – Peter Bampton SA, Mid/Fwd, 182cm

#9 Carlton – Lachlan Weller (QLD, Mid, 178cm

#10 Adelaide – Brayden Maynard VIC, Util, 184cm

#11 Collingwood – Christian Petracca VIC, Fwd, 185cm

#12 Gold Coast - Liam Dawson QLD, Def/Fwd, 187cm

#13 Western Bulldogs – Jack Hayes SA, Fwd/KPF, 190cm

#14 Essendon – Dylan Winton WA, Mid/Util, 189cm

#15 Hawthorn - Clem Smith WA, Util, 177cm

#16 North Melbourne – Tom Lamb VIC, Fwd/Mid, 190cm

#17 Sydney – Ryan Lim WA, Util, 185cm

#18 Fremantle - Bradley Walsh WA, Mid, 178cm

Other potential early draftees:-

Isaac Heeney

Liam Griffiths

Darcy Moore Coll F/S

Duom Dawam

Alec Waterman WCE – F/S

Billy Stretch Melb – F/S

Hopefully we won't get the second pick again, as rudely suggested above, and possibly can pick up Angus Brayshaw with our first pick and Billy Stretch with our second round pick under F/S! This will give us two young good kids who have already trained with us and know the players and coaches and better still our coaching team has already evaluated them.. I would be very disappointed if we were eligible for the second pick [although not so disappointed if we got the retrospective PP from a contrite AFL that we deserved this year]

• Like 1

Hopefully we won't get the second pick again, as rudely suggested above, and possibly can pick up Angus Brayshaw with our first pick and Billy Stretch with our second round pick under F/S! This will give us two young good kids who have already trained with us and know the players and coaches and better still our coaching team has already evaluated them.. I would be very disappointed if we were eligible for the second pick [although not so disappointed if we got the retrospective PP from a contrite AFL that we deserved this year]

Much of that will depend on how Billy goes and how well we do during the coming season. If he blitzes for SA and we improve and move up the ladder, the chances are that we will have to select him with our first pick.

Two key talls at the top of the draft for two teams that are already top heavy. Having said that hoping not to finish 17th.

That's more an indication of how good the top heavy talent is in this draft rather than needs basis. Lever will be the interesting one considering he may miss the entire season.

If Clem Smith does not sort himself out and get his attitude right he will slip down the pecking order in a similar fashion to Dayle Garlett. The kid has immense talent and potential but thinks it's just going to happen for him.

• Like 1

Josh DELUCA is a kid I will be keen to see in WAFL and how he progresses. Caught my eye a little bit last year as a younger colts player and found plenty of the ball in the midfield. Subiaco will have an improved team in the WAFL and if DELUCA gets regular game time in the seniors will be interesting to see how he goes.

• 2 weeks later...

So, following on from the pen pic of Billy Stretch, here are the next six draft prospects from the AFL Prospectus:

I did see Angus Brayshaw at MFC training in January out at Casey Fields and he didn't look a bit out of place. Whoever gets him should be happy.

MATTHEW AH SIU South Fremantle Gen Fwd 192cm Resembles: Adam Goodes

Ah Siu played all three 2012 NAB AFL Under-16 Championship matches, averaging 15 disposals and four marks. In 2013 he played a complete season of 22 Colts matches for South Fremantle, scoring 27 goals and averaging 14 disposals and three marks. His total of 67 inside 50s ranked him third at Colts level for the season while his 40 score assists ranked him second.

FREAKO: Needs to improve the contested side of his game but is still an exciting prospect.

ANGUS BRAYSHAW Sandringham Midfielder 184cm Resembles: Jack Redden

Nephew of North Melbourne President James Brayshaw, Angus is a medium defender. The left-footer missed 10 weeks at the start of the 2013 season with a broken arm, however, at the 2012 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships, he averaged 20 disposals, four marks and five rebound 50s in three games. He was subsequently named as Vic Metro's MVP. He played five matches for Sandringham in the TAC Cup in 2013, averaging 19 disposals, five marks and seven tackles per game.

FREAKO: Has now finished school so should dominate TAC Cup in 2014.

DANIEL CAPIRON Dandenong Gen Def 197cm Resembles: Heath Shaw

Capiron is a courageous medium defender/midfielder who displays composure under pressure and is an excellent decision maker. We only saw him once in 2012 - the trial match in which he sustained a season ending knee injury that required reconstruction on the eve of the NAB AFL Under 16 Championships. In 2013 he bounced back to play nine TAC Cup matches for Dandenong, averaging 16 disposals, six handball receives and four marks per game.

FREAKO: Looking forward to an injury-free season from this kid as we've been impressed by what we've seen so far.

LIAM DAWSON Redcliffe Gen Fwd/Def 187cm Resembles: Jack Gunston/Sam Fisher

A medium forward/defender who is a very strong overhead mark, we first saw Dawson playing at the 2011 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships as an under-aged player for Queensland. In 2013 he was one of only seven bottom-aged players to play in all five NAB AFL Under-18 Championships matches, averaging 13 disposals, five intercept possessions and four marks per game. These performances resulted in him sharing the Harrison Medal as Division 2 MVP, winning his State's MVP and earning NAB AFL Under-18 All-Australian honours.

FREAKO: Recruiters love the word "upside" and Liam has plenty of it. Not sure if he will settle forward or back.

LIAM DUGGAN Western Gen Def 180cm Resembles: Kade Simpson

A half-back who reads the play well, Duggan is a small defender/midfielder with excellent leg speed and lateral movement. He is a neat left foot kick and a sound decision-maker. For the Jets in 2013, he played 14 matches and averaged 17 disposals with a kicking efficiency of 67%, also taking four marks per match. His total of 40 rebound 50s ranked equal third at the club.

FREAKO:Needs to bulk up a bit but has the attributes to be a very good player

SAM DURDIN West Adelaide Key Def/Ruck 195cm Resembles: Jordan Roughead

Durdin is a mobile tall defender/ruckman who represented South Australia at the 2012 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships and also played nine Under-18 matches for West Adelaide that year. In 2013 he played four NAB AFL Under-18 Championship matches, averaging nine disposals and a disposal efficiency of 86% while at SANFL Under-18 level he averaged 17 disposals, five marks and three rebound 50s per game. He was also the 2013 recipient of the Alan Schwab-Jack Collins AFL Life Members Educational Scholarship.

FREAKO: The No. 1 SANFL talent in 2014. Has the size and versatility to be a gun AFL player.

I'm hoping our tall forwards and rucks get fit and on the park this year and show what they can do. And of course that we sign Frawley. So for a needs basis to the team I think we will be looking at a young key defender to develop up as depth but besides that just getting the best available running players whether they are inside or outside mids or forwards or backs. Preferably we get someone who has versatility.

A skillful left footed half back flank would be lovely to give some balance to the backline. And I wouldn't be opposed to another 205cm plus genuine big ruck prospect to develop in behind Gawn and Spencer. King looks good so far but at 200cm without a massive leap he's on the small side for modern rucks.

if we do finish at the bottom, there should be a few suitors trying to land some of the kpp fodder on offer.

hopefully we don't lose a game for the season - roos' magic! - and we're looking at taking billy stretch at pick 18 (or later, if there's compo picks).

If we do, we need to keep them for ourselves. We're not strong in the forward department at the moment. I like the look of McCartin, with Hogan it would be like having Carey and Plugger in the same forward line. A lot of defenders wouldn't be comfortable with these 2 running around.

If we do, we need to keep them for ourselves. We're not strong in the forward department at the moment. I like the look of McCartin, with Hogan it would be like having Carey and Plugger in the same forward line. A lot of defenders wouldn't be comfortable with these 2 running around.

I think we will have a clearer picture on the key forwards in 12 months time. We only need one of Clark, Dawes or Fitzpatrick to recover from injury/assert themselves at AFL level and when matched with Hogan and Howe we should be fine. If Frawley leaves we will be looking at a key defender.

Either way we've got a decent relationship going with GWS and their young tall Kristian Jaksch who was a school team mate of Viney's is half way back to Victoria if reports are to be believed.

It wouldn't surprise me if we keep doing trades with them just like this year and drop back in the draft in order to get some of their slightly more ready to go former high draft picks in return. I think Roos will continue to value pick 10 or pick 20 plus a ready to step up talent over yet another top 5 pick.

• Like 1

Sam Durdin might slip a couple of spots due to an injury he has at the moment,

i reckon we will finish 14th and get pick 4 so if chip leaves and we get pick 5 as compo he might be a good option as a replacement with Angus Brayshaw at 4 and Billy stretch at 22

Sam Durdin might slip a couple of spots due to an injury he has at the moment,

i reckon we will finish 14th and get pick 4 so if chip leaves and we get pick 5 as compo he might be a good option as a replacement with Angus Brayshaw at 4 and Billy stretch at 22

There's a lot of talk about compo picks being scrapped for Free Agents and RFA. Knowing our luck that will come in just in time to lose a player like Chip.

I think we will have a clearer picture on the key forwards in 12 months time. We only need one of Clark, Dawes or Fitzpatrick to recover from injury/assert themselves at AFL level and when matched with Hogan and Howe we should be fine. If Frawley leaves we will be looking at a key defender.

Either way we've got a decent relationship going with GWS and their young tall Kristian Jaksch who was a school team mate of Viney's is half way back to Victoria if reports are to be believed.

It wouldn't surprise me if we keep doing trades with them just like this year and drop back in the draft in order to get some of their slightly more ready to go former high draft picks in return. I think Roos will continue to value pick 10 or pick 20 plus a ready to step up talent over yet another top 5 pick.

Jaksch is not up to it from what I've seen, might eventually settle as a defender but not convinced. If Clark is up and running he will be the 3rd tall forward/ruck option or first ruck option. Dawes is looking more like the Shane Watson option to me.

There's a lot of talk about compo picks being scrapped for Free Agents and RFA. Knowing our luck that will come in just in time to lose a player like Chip.

Yeah that will be interesting, if that's the case it becomes vital that we replace Chip with a quality free agent if he chooses to leave

This year will be very interesting. Plenty of talls and we will likely get a top 3 or 4 pick. I do not see a problem picking up a young tall at our first pick. We do not know the long term prognosis for Clark, whether Fitzy will develop into a good player. What if Frawley goes. Hogan has to resign. If you later trade talls get you get more - one reason I suspect GWS has loaded up on them. Plus this is a rare draft - loaded early with talls.

GWS will be looking to trade again into another early pick. It helps balance their list age profile with quality as a bonus (from a very early pick). So we have options with our first pick. Plus Stretch as a bonus 2nd rounder as a mid/forward.