Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Christian Salem or Nathan Freeman thread

hardtack

Couldn't see any topics that discuss these two midfielders. They are ranked 10 and 11 respectively in Callum Twomey's Phantom Draft list and both appear to be very solidly built (183cm, 82kg Salem and 181cm, 85kg Freeman), both apparently have very good foot skills, body strength, Salem is supposedly a very good overhead mark and Freeman is a burst player with good speed.

From Twomey's "pen":

Christian Salem

Was played off half-back for Vic Metro to use his foot skills to set up the play but is perhaps most damaging as a midfielder. Salem has body strength and uses the ball with precision, is a strong overhead mark, and also kicks goals at important moments.

Nathan Freeman

Freeman offers a point of difference to this year's draft with his speed, and he has grown in the eyes of many clubs. Overcome his ankle injury to perform for the Dragons, and gathered 30 disposals against the Murray Bushrangers last weekend. Is a burst player – Freeman loves to bolt from stoppages and take the game on.

Ive raised Freeman a couple of times in dispatches and I like both of these players.

Salem at this stage has been played more outside in order to utilise his foot skills. He runs hard to receive makes good decisions and can kick goals. Is more outside at this stage, but can win his own ball and looks like he loves to tackle. Can go missing for periods of games and was disappointed that he wasnt able to elevate his game against the higher quality teams at the champs. I think his ranking has held and will continue to hold steady till draft day. The 10-15 range is about tight for Salem.

If I had to choose between the two, Freeman would be the one. Very unique to have a player on the inside with his breakaway pace. He also has the body shape and size to play AFL seniors right away. I suspect the reason his name hasnt been promoted previously is because he was unable to participate in last years champs and has had injury issues previously. He was solid at this years Champs without being a standout, but another one (like Aish and Billings) who was coming back from injury. Hes currently bolting up the rankings due to hes post Champs form (APS & TAC Cup), and he could end up a notch or two higher if Sandy make the finals and Freeman contributes to a deep run. Watching him on the weekend, hes always on the move at stoppages and his ability to go on multiple long runs indicates a reasonable endurance base to go with his pace. Is also one who is constantly barking out instructions from the bench when resting, so hes either got leadership potential or potential to annoy. I suspect the former.

Im very much of the belief that we should push hard to acquire a mid first round draft pick in order to acquire someone of the ilk of Freeman, Crouch or Sheed.

• Like 4

I think Freeman will be a star. He's well built, has good pace, loves the stoppages and can tear forward and kicks goals. I'm hoping we trade to obtain another first round pick to use on him.

Both will go 1st round GUARANTEED. I rate Freeman very highly.. around pick 8-10. He will be a star. Salem around pick 13-14. A real 200 game player.

Guaranteed, LOL... That is ridiculous Norm.

Both SHOULD go first round, but there are no guarantees bud.

This time last year people would've guaranteed Brodie Grundy to go top 10.

Grundy should have been top 10. Easily.

Agree, there is always a couple that slip out of the first round.

Nothing is ever a guarantee anyway, both players SHOULD go first round.

All these quality players can't fit in the first round.

One of Salem, Freeman, Crouch, Dunstan and Dumont could very well slide to our second pick.

• 2 months later...

Well, we have Salem and not Freeman....so let's all get right behind him and support him.

No doubt some will, as they do with Toumpas / Wines and make comparisons leading on to judgements on selections, not taking into consideration the quality and experience of those surrounding them.

They both sounded like great players for us. I love the comparisons to Adem Yze that have been put on Salem. If he does as well for us I'll be thrilled. Likewise, Freeman being compared to Dangermouse is a huge feather in his cap.

The thing that makes me think we may have made the right call here is that Freeman's defensive game has been called into question quite a lot. He sounds very much like he is damaging with the ball but not much without, and we already have that player on our list. Could it be that a better comparison would be Sam Blease?

• 3 years later...

Freeman with another 6 week injury due to his team mate falling on his ankle. Yet to senior debut..You win some, you lose some in the draft. In this case we definitely won. Puts things into perspective when you look at all the 'could have hads' in the draft, yet we don't always stop and think the ones we dodged.

• Like 4

Injured again? Poor kid

Even though he's not with us, I'm still very interested to see how Freeman goes. Would love him to get a clean go at it and show a bit as he's had a shocking run so far and I wouldn't wish injuries on anyone 

All the best in the recovery.

Also well done to Salem. Fast becoming a favourite of mine being a smooth mover but what impressed me most is his ability to win the hard pill and his crunching tackles. 

He reminds me of Burgoyne not just in his skill but the fact he just quietly goes about his business whil everyone focused on the Hodge, Mitchell, Rough etc (like how people more notive our Viney, Trac, Clarrie)

• Like 1

We definitely got this pick right out of Salem or Freeman in the end. There were better options we could've taken at pick 9 in hindsight; Cripps, Ben Brown, Zach Merrett, Zac Jones and Matt Crouch all go alright. 
If Salem can stay healthy he will be a real weapon for us with his kicking skills. I prefer him through the midfield as a point of difference to the group of bull inside mids we have.

Shame Freeman's body hasn't held up. He had all the attributes to be a Dangerfield/Judd type inside midfielder with burst of pace and strength from stoppages. Would've been good to watch, but don't think his body will ever let him get there now.

2 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

We definitely got this pick right out of Salem or Freeman in the end. There were better options we could've taken at pick 9 in hindsight; Cripps, Ben Brown, Zach Merrett, Zac Jones and Matt Crouch all go alright. 
If Salem can stay healthy he will be a real weapon for us with his kicking skills. I prefer him through the midfield as a point of difference to the group of bull inside mids we have.

Shame Freeman's body hasn't held up. He had all the attributes to be a Dangerfield/Judd type inside midfielder with burst of pace and strength from stoppages. Would've been good to watch, but don't think his body will ever let him get there now.

Relative to what we need, though, Salem was probably still better in hindsight. We had a distinctive lack of class and skill and Roos and Co. acknowledged that with this pick. That's not to say the aforementioned players don't have class, but Salem was the right pick for what we needed at the time. He immediately became one of our most reliable with the ball. We desperately need that.

• Like 1

In his short career Salem's been through some very high moments (winning goal v Essendon) and very low moments (injuries & thyroid issues), but he looks like he's come out he other side into a very valuable player. I'm sure he will learn a lot from Hibberd and will only continue to improve. 

Freeman on the other hand looks like has only experienced the lows, we've had players like that. Luke Molan comes to mind. I hope he's able to get out on the park, as we very well know sometimes the cards fall your way and sometimes it doesn't. 

• Like 1