Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Essendon v Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

Strauss has the smarts, but he's exceptionally soft. He lacks AFL intensity, but his skills and the extra time at VFL level make him look good.

Fools gold.

Sad but true.

Say we picked up Joel Selwood, as he was at Geelong, would you want him to spend the year a Casey?

I wouldn't.

What you suggest will happen more often if we even become a decent side.

Fair point, players like that are a exception.

I would like to see how he would of developed at melbourne without the likes of bartel, ablett, ling and co around him

I got the idea of how Collingwood seem to go about it a kid comes in and just looks the goods because he knows his role but also like above helps with players they have around.

We just expect an 18 19 year old to dominate from day one instead of just coming in and doing a job for the team

• Like 2

Strauss has the smarts, but he's exceptionally soft. He lacks AFL intensity, but his skills and the extra time at VFL level make him look good.

Fools gold.

That's it, if he gets a consistent run then maybe he will lift his level but I wouldn't guarantee it. The evidence to date has not been good.

I got the idea of how Collingwood seem to go about it a kid comes in and just looks the goods because he knows his role but also like above helps with players they have around.

We just expect an 18 19 year old to dominate from day one instead of just coming in and doing a job for the team

But when these kids who play for the pies come in, thy are surrounded by quality, they have also learnt their role in a side where winning is secondary to playing the same style as the seniors.

Young kids come in for us and don't have a lot of composed senior playes to show them, shelter them and also the whole team is to under the pump, the cop the opposite when they come in for us.

If Viney was at the pies, he would be getting 20-25+ possessions each game and not be in their best.

Fools gold.

2 games in 09 when he clearly wasn't ready.. 5ish in 2011 when he started to come before breaking a leg, 4 last year of a broken leg...

I'm not sure how you come to your final conclusion. Lets wait till he plays 5 games this year before you make your ground breaking comments

• Like 1

But when these kids who play for the pies come in, thy are surrounded by quality, they have also learnt their role in a side where winning is secondary to playing the same style as the seniors.

Young kids come in for us and don't have a lot of composed senior playes to show them, shelter them and also the whole team is to under the pump, the cop the opposite when they come in for us.

If Viney was at the pies, he would be getting 20-25+ possessions each game and not be in their best.

I totally understand what your saying. I know we lack senior players to show the way.

I was puttinv the idea out there for the young players coming in a year for them to learn the ropes of the structures and the bodies become better prepared. Viney is a perfect example of this, as is omeara and crouch they already look comfortable at senior level

Just got in, not a whole lot to add to the previous reports (and KC's gonna come on here and make me look silly soon enough) but:

Magner, as well as being good at the stoppages, seemed to be working really hard to spread and provide an option. I noticed him be the second or third man in a chain of possessions quite a bit.

I have no idea who Essendon were playing in the ruck today, but Spencer and Fitzy carved him up. Some of Spencer's taps to advantage were beautiful, putting the ball right where an already-on-the-move midfielder was about to be. Lovely stuff.

Rodan did some nice things, but his highlights were all the kind of flashy thing that an AFL team wouldn't let him get away with in a million years (dancing through three opponents, etc.). I reckon he'll look good at this level, but never again be able to recreate it when he steps up to the 1s.

Taggert did some lovely things and looks to have a good footy head on his shoulders. A couple of kicks that were weighted just right and played the angles perfectly had me excited about his future.

Blease is still classic hot'n'cold Sammy. There were a few times he dashed through the midfield, lowered his eyes and hit his target on the chest ... and there were just as many times when he dashed through the midfield and blazed away. More of the first, Sam, and you could be a real player.

Jordie Mac will play seniors next week, and every week after that until he retires, or we get more than a couple of blokes who go as hard as he does. He's got his limitations, sure, but when actually trying seems beyond most of our team, Jordie has to play.

While I doubt Fitzy is improving quickly enough to force his way into the seniors this year, I do think he's now a good to very good VFL forward. If he plays the majority of the year at Casey, there gonna do very well with him and Hogan together up forward.

And Hogan is really good. There was one moment where, with the ball kicked to his side of a one-on-one contest, he sought out his opponent's body, shoved him away from the drop of the ball, and plucked it with an ease that bordered on contemptuous. It was the kind of mark that Wayne Carey took a thousand times in his career, and you could just tell that the ball was safe as houses in Jesse's hands. In the first half he was getting a bit frustrated with the delivery often favouring his opponent's side of the contest. It was only after halftime, when Casey really took over the midfield, that the supply improved. Still, even in the first half, there were a bunch of times he halved a contest he had no right to get anywhere near. Also, loved his smarts. If giving it off was the best option, that's the option he took: there were a number of times he could have blazed away, but did the team thing. To be honest I wouldn't mind a bit of that "F you, this is my forward line!" type thinking, but it's sure nice that he's not just a beast, he's also a footy player.

Oh, and Daniher is going to be very good. The only lingering question mark on him is whether he has the body type to put on enough muscle for his width to match his height (he's skinny as hell, in a Morton-ish kind of way), but he moves beautifully for a guy his size, and has excellent skills to boot.

• Like 7

I'd like to remind you that the Clubs Core Culture around 1992, had been bred into our core of young players by Jordan & Barassi in the mid 80's.

Those young players were now in their primes around '92 - '93 & the club was strong at that time due to great beginnings grown from the Barassi/Jordan team.

that is a good time to come into a Club Culture,,, when confidence & team expectations are High.

Now I ask you what happened to players like TJohnstone (discipline), Green (not hard enough), White (not hard enough), Bruce (not hard enough & disposal), Robbo (wouldn't chase) ???????

where did our hard earned club culture vanish somewhere between 1990 & 2006???

... we had some talented players, & strong lists of talent but,,,, total underachievement... those lists should have gone further & more consistently under Balme & daniher than they did.

Agree on the Jordan/Barrasi influence but need to add Swooper in there too. Most players were willing to put their life on the line for Northey. He bred the toughest most disciplined unit (at least on the field) i ever saw in his relatively short stint. Even average players played above themselves and were willing to put their life/body on the line on game day for Swooper. He managed to have the boys playing a brand of "win at all costs" footy that has rarely been seen around the MFC since his unfortunate departure.

Swooper also opened the club and club rooms up to the supporters and had a warm genuine likeable manner about him post match. He loved the idea of the fans coming in and pumping the boys up after a win, or just being there for them if we didn't. And the fans LOVED it!! He managed to bridge the connection between the player group and the fans and i have a feeling many of the boys enjoyed the banter and feel of the club during this period. The club had a great feeling about the place and an amazing "Belief" that we were capable of going anywhere. This period (1986 - 1995 ish) was the only time (for me) where the club actually felt like a genuine footy club that truly connected with it's grassroots supporter base.

The Northey culture continued for a few years under Balme with many players from the Northey era. However, as they matured and moved on that special feeling Northey had managed to garner (along with the "open door" grassroots culture) slowly dissapated. This was a hard act to follow for Balmy IMO but I also think he deserved a few more years and was cut a few years too soon. Not one of Diamond Joe's greatest decisions.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

Rodan did some nice things, but his highlights were all the kind of flashy thing that an AFL team wouldn't let him get away with in a million years (dancing through three opponents, etc.). I reckon he'll look good at this level, but never again be able to recreate it when he steps up to the 1s.

Thanks for the report Bananas. My only issue here is that Neeld knew this when he recruited him. If he didn't want his flashyness and brilliance with not much on the defensive side (from a Neeld view point) then why did we (he) recruit him?

And when was the last time a player at the MFC was able to dance through 3 opponents? We are in desperate need of some creativity and ball skills (footy smarts) at this club period, let alone the mid field. If he uses the ball wisely, is fed it/or gets it enough and creates forward attacks for us (in a pretty quick fasion at that) AND he has AFL premiership experience and an AFL bod, i say put him in the seniors and leave him there for the rest of the year!

As for Neeld's defensive mantra, sometimes the best form of defense in any competitive professional team game is attack! Just ask anyone who's played the Mighty Cats in the last 6 years and so far this season. And if you have "too many" defensively minded players or you're too hell bent on making every player defensive in his mindset and general play, then i don't believe you will be capable (as a team) of taking the game on and attacking the opponent in a bold enough manner, making it very difficult for you to win a game.

There's also no other options putting their hands up (or able to ...eg., Magner on rookie list) through the mid at this point and we are way under done on numbers/rotations/quality through there as it is. Hence why we're getting smacked after half time in every match so far.

To leave Rodan out (other than for injury reasons) is, IMO, the mark of a very foolish (or stupid) Coach, especially given my first point.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Fair point, players like that are a exception.

I would like to see how he would of developed at melbourne without the likes of bartel, ablett, ling and co around him

... its the Hawks model of the 80's under Alan Jeans.. not all, but many of their kids played 100 games of footy in the reserves, prior to becoming Senior VFL players.

they were a dominant club then.

Agree on the Jordan/Barrasi influence but need to add Swooper in there too. Most players were willing to put their life on the line for Northey. He bred the toughest most disciplined unit (at least on the field) i ever saw in his relatively short stint. Even average players played above themselves and were willing to put their life/body on the line on game day for Swooper. He managed to have the boys playing a brand of "win at all costs" footy that has rarely been seen around the MFC since his unfortunate departure.

Swooper also opened the club and club rooms up to the supporters and had a warm genuine likeable manner about him post match. He loved the idea of the fans coming in and pumping the boys up after a win, or just being there for them if we didn't. And the fans LOVED it!! He managed to bridge the connection between the player group and the fans and i have a feeling many of the boys enjoyed the banter and feel of the club during this period. The club had a great feeling about the place and an amazing "Belief" that we were capable of going anywhere. This period (1986 - 1995 ish) was the only time (for me) where the club actually felt like a genuine footy club that truly connected with it's grassroots supporter base.

The Northey culture continued for a few years under Balme with many players from the Northey era. However, as they matured and moved on that special feeling Northey had managed to garner (along with the "open door" grassroots culture) slowly dissapated. This was a hard act to follow for Balmy IMO but I also think he deserved a few more years and was cut a few years too soon. Not one of Diamond Joe's greatest decisions.

... I do Rusty, but it was the foundations that Barassi & Jordan built, before Barass stepped aside, for someone to come in & take the club the next step...

as I said, (after northey) somewhere around 1992 & onwards, the culture slipped back.

We didn't have a perfect culture under Northey, or Barassi, but Barassi brought Hardness & Competitiveness & PRO-Fessionalism back to the club...

Northey took it & ran with it, & we all enjoyed the fruits of that time.

It was after that, that things started to go awry.

We had IMO, an even stronger, more talented list, but seemed to become more? arrogant? or complacent? anyway for the list of Forward talent, we Under Achieved.

this continued right thru to 2006.

After Northey,,, we had "laconic nice guy coaches", who the players were happy with,, & they loved them. but the wheels of Hardness & Professionalism disappeared !!!

• Like 1

... its the Hawks model of the 80's under Alan Jeans.. not all, but many of their kids played 100 games of footy in the reserves, prior to becoming Senior VFL players.

There were also 52 players on a list

And when was the last time a player at the MFC was able to dance through 3 opponents?

To leave Rodan out (other than for injury reasons) is, IMO, the mark of a very foolish (or stupid) Coach, especially given my first point.

Sorry Rusty, I must not have been clear. What I was trying to say is Yes, Rodan can do that kind of thing at this level, and whenever he does we'll think 'Gee, he should be in the seniors', but the reality is that at AFL level the first opponent tackles him and wins the ball. The dance won't even start.

• Like 1

I agree with you right up to the bit about Neil Balme. In my view the football played under him was the worst of seen since, well, now. There were passages of play where we would handball from the centre line to the back pocket only to have it intercepted for a goal...on many occasions. He was no coach.

• Like 1

2 games in 09 when he clearly wasn't ready.. 5ish in 2011 when he started to come before breaking a leg, 4 last year of a broken leg...

I'm not sure how you come to your final conclusion. Lets wait till he plays 5 games this year before you make your ground breaking comments

Firstly I use my eyes and secondly, Dan Hannebery, who played a lot of junior footy with him confirmed it. He's soft.

You're welcome to disagree and live in hope.

• Like 1

First game I've been to this year, and was very impressed with the overall team play of Casey. Welsh mentioned "DI's" at the final change, that we needed to

have 600 for the game and we were right on track. I assume this stands for "defensive involvements" or something similar, and right across the board the pressure acts, smothers, sheperds, chase and bumps applied universally across the ground was evident that this is a well drilled team playing for each other.

Best for mine easily was Jake Spencer, and he epitomised this ethos, not only winning hitouts with monotonous regularity with a mix of timing his jumps against his opponent, but also good body work and tremendous understanding with where his midfielders either were standing or about to run to. His pressure acts around the ground, chasing, tackling, harassing opponents, for a guy of his size was fantastic. He offered an option when resting up forward too with his leading. Its a shame that he may struggle to get a game now that Gawn has been rewarded, he certainly deserves a crack at it again. What odds he coming in for Jamar anytime soon?

His partner in crime, Fitzpatrick had a very good game also. He is certainly progressing along nicely as a forward/relief ruckman. Hes now becoming very hard to beat one on one due to his size and speed. Just needs to work on busting packs a bit more. Three goals for him was just reward for effort.

Rodan was very busy, however he tried to do far too much at times. This undid a lot of his good work. It was reminiscent of early Nathan Jones, just trying to do too much and getting pinged on the third option rather than taking the first or second. Still, his workrate was first class and he will come under consideration again.

Blease had a similar game to Rodan, very flashy and a couple of times while surrounded by opponents simply accelerated out of imminent danger. A mix of clever and wasteful use of the ball was his only markdown, I think they will give him a go before Rodan due to his greater upside.

Its probably a bit unfair to group them, but McKenzie/Couch/Magner not only are all very similar players, but all had equally impressive games today. Couch kicked a beautiful goal from one of the difficult pockets where he knew he was going to get run down, took the time to size up the kick dribbling around the corner and just got it off before being dumped. He has a very good football brain just lacks that yard of pace. The trio combined to completely dominate stoppages and centre clearances.

Hogan was immense. Despite his young years, he has a presence out on the field that is hard to ignore. Smart higher leading early in the game got his fellow forwards involved, and as the game wore on he became more and more dominant deeper. Even when he had a breather in the last quarter, he grabbed a footy from the bench and was handballing and bouncing it to himself, you can tell he loves the contest and wants to be involved the whole game. One thing to note is his odd run up to goal, he takes off, takes a sharp veerto the left for a step or two then straightens up. Its very odd but effective.

Strauss was good today, his use of the ball is well documented and came to the fore today. He's obviously fighting for the same spot as Jetta, who offers a better option in the chasing and tackling department, but his foot skills may give him the nod going forward if he keeps this form up.

Taggert, given that he was only a late call up, was also very impressive. He is very big across the chest area now, and his ability to swing from half back to half forward was a feature, as was his kicking both for goal and in general field play. I really like the look of him. Lets hope he can string together a few more like this.

Tynan was solid without being spectacular, but was part of a very stoic half back line that was almost impossible to pass after quarter time.

Clisby was also OK on the half back line as well, still not sure what his standout attributes are as this is the first time Ive seen him play.

Davis similarly had a fairly serviceable day. He was matched up against Daniher most of the time and managed to get a few timely punches in against a significantly taller opponent, but a feature today was he was the instigator in a lot of our rebounding chains.

Kent disappointed me. Of all the listed players, he and Clisby probably had the least impact. He kicked a goal, but just didnt look to be working hard enough up forward, where the ball spent a lot of the day.

Of the Casey players, Panozza was rock solid off half back as was Riseley as usual.

A couple of the newer players caught the eye, Nathan Page while small in stature was very busy and involved off half forward, and Jake Best also showed a bit of dash.

Under Age player Ben Kearns, while very skinny also threw himself into the action admirably and was rewarded on the scoreboard.

It was a pleasure to watch Hogan up one end, and Daniher up the other go about it, these two will be features up forward for their two clubs for many years to come, and it was certainly refreshing to enjoy watching a game of football again!

• Like 8

Firstly I use my eyes and secondly, Dan Hannebery, who played a lot of junior footy with him confirmed it. He's soft.

Sad to hear B-H. I have a lot of respect for Dan Hannebery - he showed more heart on Friday night then I've seen from an write MFC team in years.

Would kill for Dan at the Dees

Fools gold.

Agree with this. We've seen it before: Strauss looks amazing at VFL level, we promote him, and he stinks at AFL level.

Similar to Addam Maric in that regard. Has yet to be able to make the transfer to AFL standard intensity. The key indicator of this is that people continually referred to both these players as 'elite kicks', yet this was never evidenced at AFL level. The intensity and pressure that exists in the AFL made both Maric and Strauss crumble and their skills went to water.

I expect to see Strauss get a game some time soon, which reflects more on where the MFC is at, rather than Strauss as a player. I also fully expect him to show little improvement on his AFL performances in the past, as I don't believe he has the requisite strength or courage to play AFL football.

While I doubt Fitzy is improving quickly enough to force his way into the seniors this year, I do think he's now a good to very good VFL forward. If he plays the majority of the year at Casey, there gonna do very well with him and Hogan together up forward.

If Fitzpatrick can't improve enough in 2013 to get into the seniors, I doubt he'll even be on our list in 2014.

Even if he is, surely he'll be fourth in queue behind Clark, Dawes and Hogan.

I know from a close friend that at laest until recently Hogan was loving the demons. he looks up to Jones in particular. We need to keep this bloke - he looks as exciting as Scott Thompson did at the start.

• Like 1

Looks like Neelds game plan works, and more importantly the players understand it.

Thanks for the first half update guys.

This type of post makes me laugh.

Neeld's game plan is at work in the VFL? Is it? I mean really?

I have to agree with this. It was pretty evident the first few times we saw him that he couldn't hold his own one on one, although when the rest of the backline worked to get him free he could do some damage with his kicking. However I have noticed him working hard on this aspect of his game, and it has improved. I don't think he's anywhere near what he needs to be yet, but at least he's showing an awareness of the problem and a willingness to tackle it. I still have hope that he can get there.

Good story. Try 'some' or 'a few' or 'the odd one or two', but then it's not much of a tale is it.

The debut ages of the Hawks 1986 Premiership Backline were 17, 20, 16, 18, 19 and 19 (so Russell Greene began in the Ressies when he was 10 or 11).

I CBF going any further. A season or two is not 100 games.

Agree with mots of the comments re players today.

Taggert looks solid and hopefully continues to develop. He did some nice things and is solid enough in build. If he puts together some good games, I can see a spot for him later in the year.

Tynan was pacey off the defence, however his kicks lacked composure at time. His endevour was good (as were all the teams I thought) so with some experience he should improve.

Spencer and Fitzpatrick had good games. Spencer did some great things with the ball and created a turnover on the far side of the ground with some agile chasing and tackling of a couple of opponents. Fitzpatrick moved well but perhaps needs to eliminate some skill errors (a couple of juggled marks). Overall they worked hard and hAD GOOD GAMES.

The player I probably disagree with most is Jordie Mackenzie. While he did get touches I particularly tried to pay attention to what he did with them and found most of them were not cleanly to Casey players. I would have hoped he would be more accurate with his passing. I know that is not his main role in the seniors, playing more as a stopper in the midfield but I think he needs to polish his disposal (nothing new there).

Hogan will make a huge difference in the forward line. His shoulders and size are already huge and he has the smarts and skill to go with it. He should be immense for us.

The other players were generally as described.

These observations should be tempered with the fact that I had two children with me today that meant I couldn't concentrate fully on the footy... I might have missed some of Jordies better plays.

Criticising our drafting is too easy with hindsight. But when I think of Dan H and Luke Shuey running around at Oakleigh Chargers and wonder what Bazza was thinking re JS. He obviously sought 'elite' kicks over other factors (heart and football brains).

Our current team plus Shuey, Hannebery, Darling and dare I say Wines was possible once but anyway its not so c'est la vie.

I really hope the boys win tomorrow. Clark, McDonald and Trengove should now be match fit.

Go Dees....