Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Power Clubs have Training & Social Facilities Together

dee-luded

Yes they are moving there & I haven't seen any plans so can't comment on the layout, but it's their neck of the woods.

they wanted to build at Windy Hill, but didn't have the room to do what they wanted.

They will I'm sure have a great social facility there.

Haven't they already started training there?

Yes they are moving there & I haven't seen any plans so can't comment on the layout, but it's their neck of the woods.

they wanted to build at Windy Hill, but didn't have the room to do what they wanted.

They will I'm sure have a great social facility there.

Haven't they already started training there?

What the hell is a social club? Who goes to one? Is this still in the 1960's?

We have coteries and we have bars at the MCG. That's where our power base is.

We don't need a social club. It would be lovely to have everything in one spot and to have a place where we can make money from members selling food, drinks and functions after games. But lets focus on what we do have in great facilities at AAMI and our admin being inspired to work every day at the MCG and staying out of the FD's way.

• Like 2

DeeLuded may i suggest you go to the Bentleigh Club for a Drink and a Surf n Turf

We already own this place

As a paid up member and MCC Member i do not want my finances tied up in off site ventures (loans interest etc) i want my money spent on the Football Department and Staff to run the club so we can win games in late September.

• Like 2

if we got one dee-luded would you then buy a club membership? :rolleyes:

I'm buying one anyway because Roosy has signed on, so the AFL & the club is showing they truly want to change to become a winning club & an club chasing premierships once again.

.... even if I'm moving further away, I may still make the trek, depending on how isolated the area I buy in is.

as of now when I train it I try to get to Swan street & go to a cafe for lunch before the game.

it would be so much better if the club had a Training/Office/SocialHub/Cafe, where we could all meet our mates, or new ones Pre Game, get our food & drinks to take to the 'G'...

& then again after a Win! go back to sing the song, have an Ale or softy, & generally soak up the atmosphere we could create.... a Club.

Edited by dee-luded

I'm buying one anyway because roosy has signed on, so the AFL & the club is showo=ing they truly want to change to become a winning club & an club chasing premierships once again.

.... even if I'm moving further away, I may still make the trek, depending on how isolated the area I buy in is.

as of now when I train it I try to get to Swan street & go to a cafe for lunch before the game.

it would be so much better if the club had a Training/Office/SocialHub/Cafe, where we could all meet our mates, or new ones Pre Game, get our food & drinks to take to the 'G'...

& then again after a Win! go back to sing the song, have an Ale or softy, & generally soak up the atmosphere we could create.... a Club.

I agree 100% with the idea DL

But it is way down the list of priorities.

Start winning games and plenty of them and all sorts of things will come to pass.

But the most vital thing is to start winning First , Middle and Last at present.

Edited by old dee

As I live a fair way away from the MCG.....This would hold no interest from me....I don't drink at the footy and as I have to drive home I prefer a few coldies at home with a few mates where there are no breathalisers.

I hope you get what you want......

this is why its so important to build it at our training ground in Richmond, across from the station.

i myself am not far from a Tea-Totaler. I don't drink at home unless entertaining. so now not much drinking as I don't know many out here. sometimes go o the towns club to watch a game, last against the dogs I had 4 pots. spilling the bloody things, bumping the stupid table with my knees. :huh:

I want the club to grow its base, & I want the club to become open, a Club like it was back in the time of our greatness in the 50/60's... where there was a different attitude amongst people then, a more inclusive, yet us against them world.

Us against the pies, us against the Bombers, us against the rest.

We've lost our 'Us', and we've followed the world affluent trend of exclusiveness, to the detriment of our supporter numbers.

we will not survive without growing our numbers.. our base numbers, the ones which will remain strong & loyal even when down. the club g=has to rebuild its passion base & collective Us cultural attitude, where we are One.

... did you see the effect that Freo has, from its supporter base & the Passion & noise they generated, & the Lift it gave their players?... & the intimidation it generated on the opposition! & on the media people.

they put everyone in the shade.

when others like the Suns & the Giants start to climb their everest, we will fall further back.

we either shrink like violets (fuschias), or we stop this backs to the wall & front up, & come out fighting...

No club in Victoria uses this business model, simply because it requires spending a buckeload of capital to see a facility used probably for 15 days a year, and only a couple of hours each time at that.

Even Collingwood have worked out that the couple of cents made on each beer barely pays the barmans wages, so they use facilities in the Ponsford stand post match.

It wasn't even financially viable to obtain an interest in the cafe at AAMI park because there is not enough passing traffic to make it work.

Social clubs are, as others have pointed out, a 1960's anachronism. If you want to hang around with other Demons supporters, the Bentleigh club or the Leighoak work just fine.

Or join one of the many supporter groups where you can have a beer or 6 after the match and the club benefits from the higher membership level payment.

• Like 2

Deeluded. I happen to think that the MFC is a different club from many. Its demographics, its pedigree etc is very different from the likes of the Filth, the Kangas, The toiges etc. What may work for them I dont think is us.

There ARE already groups supporters can join if they want to network etc.They are to all reports very good at this.

Maybe if they one day build a complex that can accommodate 'everything' then an opportunity may exist for an integral social environment until then I just dont see it as being requisite or paramount to our success.

Winning games is.

I agree, it has become different since the 50's.... the club my grandad was so proud of, & wanted me to be a part of. he was no elitist, a friendly man, a businessman, a great sportsman.

he loved the MFC & the MCC, & cricket. a very good player, apparently.

my recollection/perception, is back then the club worked hard on not being big headed, & on being 'inclusive'. Smithy wore a plain old coat proudly. a very "ordinary man" in an extraordinary career?

the attitude of pedigree I think is a New one of the past 45 years. In conjunction with advent of the credit cycle & the changing western world. professional sportspeople, etc..

yet we haven't kept up with those clubs who adjusted quicker & grew themselves, because they did not adopt a closed shop way of living.

.... those clubs grew buy expanding, being open to people who then got onboard & helped support further growth, to the detriment of others who shrunk because of their attitudes.

It sounds to me like you follow the "I like it small & compact & exclusive". just because it helps some insecure people feel more important than others.... even if we continually lose & struggle to survive because we lack the resources of other bigger Clubs.

& yet you say "winning games is",,,, but we lack the financial resources that come from large numbers of people feeling involved & connected with the Club.

how many decades does it take for some to be able to see trees in the forest, before they realise we need to open the doors & let the people in?

lets stop this pointing of fingers at the masses outside the tower, they want to help not hinder.

9100647-cartoon-knight-burnt-on-his-bum-

this is why its so important to build it at our training ground in Richmond, across from the station.

i myself am not far from a Tea-Totaler. I don't drink at home unless entertaining. so now not much drinking as I don't know many out here. sometimes go o the towns club to watch a game, last against the dogs I had 4 pots. spilling the bloody things, bumping the stupid table with my knees. :huh:

I want the club to grow its base, & I want the club to become open, a Club like it was back in the time of our greatness in the 50/60's... where there was a different attitude amongst people then, a more inclusive, yet us against them world.

Us against the pies, us against the Bombers, us against the rest.

We've lost our 'Us', and we've followed the world affluent trend of exclusiveness, to the detriment of our supporter numbers.

we will not survive without growing our numbers.. our base numbers, the ones which will remain strong & loyal even when down. the club g=has to rebuild its passion base & collective Us cultural attitude, where we are One.

... did you see the effect that Freo has, from its supporter base & the Passion & noise they generated, & the Lift it gave their players?... & the intimidation it generated on the opposition! & on the media people.

they put everyone in the shade.

when others like the Suns & the Giants start to climb their everest, we will fall further back.

we either shrink like violets (fuschias), or we stop this backs to the wall & front up, & come out fighting...

The day of having a club to meet at are long gone.

I will go back to the sixties, country football; and see that in every town that had a footie team, the players had a pub that they would drink at during the week. On a Saturday night you would be lucky to have 1/2 the team and a hand full of supporters there.

During the week maybe 5 or 6 players and 20 public and they were there not because of the club but because it was their regular drlnking hole.

I'm not stalking you Dee luded but you have just come up with two of the craziest threads of all time.

Get off your soapbox because having a social club would be a losing proposition.

If you want a social club do what your father and his ilk did, do what many people do today, do what people have done throughout the ages; have your group of friends agree to meet somewhere so that you can go to the footie as one group.

People like to gather and/or drink close to home both during the week and after a game and there would be very few Dee supporters who live close to the G.

Social clubs have a habit of failing.

Edited by skills32

I agree 100% with the idea DL

But it is way down the list of priorities.

Start winning games and plenty of them and all sorts of things will come to pass.

But the most vital thing is to start winning First , Middle and Last at present.

I disagree OD as when we start to win games & numbers pickup it will get put on the backburner & forgotten, as we'll be getting our temporary numbers again, until the next fall.

the next fall maybe the last.

Edited by dee-luded

I agree, it has become different since the 50's.... the club my grandad was so proud of, & wanted me to be a part of. he was no elitist, a friendly man, a businessman, a great sportsman.

he loved the MFC & the MCC, & cricket. a very good player, apparently.

my recollection/perception, is back then the club worked hard on not being big headed, & on being 'inclusive'. Smithy wore a plain old coat proudly. a very "ordinary man" in an extraordinary career?

the attitude of pedigree I think is a New one of the past 45 years. In conjunction with advent of the credit cycle & the changing western world. professional sportspeople, etc..

yet we haven't kept up with those clubs who adjusted quicker & grew themselves, because they did not adopt a closed shop way of living.

.... those clubs grew buy expanding, being open to people who then got onboard & helped support further growth, to the detriment of others who shrunk because of their attitudes.

It sounds to me like you follow the "I like it small & compact & exclusive". just because it helps some insecure people feel more important than others.... even if we continually lose & struggle to survive because we lack the resources of other bigger Clubs.

& yet you say "winning games is",,,, but we lack the financial resources that come from large numbers of people feeling involved & connected with the Club.

how many decades does it take for some to be able to see trees in the forest, before they realise we need to open the doors & let the people in?

lets stop this pointing of fingers at the masses outside the tower, they want to help not hinder.

9100647-cartoon-knight-burnt-on-his-bum-

I am perplexed that you think the Club has become 'elitist' and 'big headed' (your words not mine), I don't know where you get that from, I am an 'ordinary' bloke and I have had players and officials of the Club acknowledging me at Casey games, at training, at functions, you can write an email to the Club on any subject and receive a reply, I have, from the CEO down

There are a large number of 'welded on' supporters, the fact that 32000 rejoined last season is proof of that, the reason the numbers dropped off is quite easy, we've been crap on the field, not because there is no social club or the supporters don't feel included.

I think the problem may lay with your mindset

I don't mean to be harsh here deeluded but the world has changed since the '50's. Players won't just do whatever the coach tells them just because he is the 'coach' nor will they respect him because of that. With the rise of the information age, human relationships have deteriorated as well and the days of going to the social club and football news being sent around via the bush telegraph are gone too.

It might still be a bit that way in Freo but also remember, they live in a city of 40,000 odd. Same with Geelong (though it is 250k). These teams will always have a connection to their community that Melbourne clubs no longer have as their players are residents of said cities. In the past, the players of Melbourne based clubs lived among their supporters. Now, most of them wouldn't care less where they lived (Brian Lake lives in Caroline bloody Springs even though he now plays for Hawthorn... which trains out at Mulgrave). I'm guessing Stuart Crameri won't be looking at buying a house or renting in Nicholson Street, Footscray.

It might be a nice idea to get a social club. That being said, it won't turn the ship around.

Edited by Guest

I don't mean to be harsh here deeluded but the world has changed since the '50's. Players won't just do whatever the coach tells them just because he is the 'coach' nor will they respect him because of that. With the rise of the information age, human relationships have deteriorated as well and the days of going to the social club and football news being sent around via the bush telegraph are gone too.

It might still be a bit that way in Freo but also remember, they live in a city of 40,000 odd. Same with Geelong (though it is 250k). These teams will always have a connection to their community that Melbourne clubs no longer have as their players are residents of said cities. In the past, the players of Melbourne based clubs lived among their supporters. Now, most of them wouldn't care less where they lived (Brian Lake lives in Caroline bloody Springs even though he now plays for Hawthorn... which trains out at Mulgrave). I'm guessing Stuart Crameri won't be looking at buying a house or renting in Nicholson Street, Footscray.

It might be a nice idea to get a social club. That being said, it won't turn the ship around.

Agree with your point, but I'd say whist Freo will always have a strong base in Fremantle they really are the second Perth or even second WA team. I've never been there but from what I here Fremantle still has it township feel but it also a part of Perth. Geelong are really one out in maintaining a club based in one set community.

I saw Freo fans campaigning to keep Freo's training base in Fremantle and I thought they were foolish. The hawks wouldn't be what they are today if they stayed at Glenferrie and same with the Pies at Vic Park.

Agree with your point, but I'd say whist Freo will always have a strong base in Fremantle they really are the second Perth or even second WA team. I've never been there but from what I here Fremantle still has it township feel but it also a part of Perth. Geelong are really one out in maintaining a club based in one set community.

I saw Freo fans campaigning to keep Freo's training base in Fremantle and I thought they were foolish. The hawks wouldn't be what they are today if they stayed at Glenferrie and same with the Pies at Vic Park.

I won't comment on Freo but I know for a fact that Geelong's growth hasn't only occurred because they have a town all to themselves. They are a power club because they win on the field. They have had Geelong all to themselves for 150 odd years but it wasn't until 2007 that they became great. Sure, having Geelong as their home base has helped but they won because they became professional and a football club that is all about winning. In fact, their support in Melbourne is growing exponentially. It makes me sick walking the streets of Melbourne seeing more people wearing Cats paraphernalia than Demons.

This won't change until we start winning.

Hawthorn's base is out at Waverley - I doubt you'll see too many heading out there to meet up before games/after games. For some that live in the area they might head there during the week/for training but it's not like it was in thr 60's or 70's with training after work on a Thursday, sausage sizzle and team selection. Most training sessions occur during business hours now.

The sport has become professional. I think there's an argument our Admin & FD should be housed in the same building but I don't see the benefit of a social club in this day and age. There are the rooms at the G where premium members can meet and have a drink/feed and hopefully the southern stand facilities will be upgraded soon. I don't like the separation with MCC especially due to so much of our support there and the change rooms hidden away where most people can't access them but at the end of the day every club has to deal with that now.

If we ever do get that elusive premiership, celebrations aren't held at social clubs anymore - a function room will be hired at Rod Laver or Crown or something where the players will go back to celebrate with those of us lucky enough to get a ticket.

Hawthorn's base is out at Waverley - I doubt you'll see too many heading out there to meet up before games/after games. For some that live in the area they might head there during the week/for training but it's not like it was in thr 60's or 70's with training after work on a Thursday, sausage sizzle and team selection. Most training sessions occur during business hours now.

The sport has become professional. I think there's an argument our Admin & FD should be housed in the same building but I don't see the benefit of a social club in this day and age. There are the rooms at the G where premium members can meet and have a drink/feed and hopefully the southern stand facilities will be upgraded soon. I don't like the separation with MCC especially due to so much of our support there and the change rooms hidden away where most people can't access them but at the end of the day every club has to deal with that now.

If we ever do get that elusive premiership, celebrations aren't held at social clubs anymore - a function room will be hired at Rod Laver or Crown or something where the players will go back to celebrate with those of us lucky enough to get a ticket.

Or Still alive Dr!
  • Like 1

I won't comment on Freo but I know for a fact that Geelong's growth hasn't only occurred because they have a town all to themselves. They are a power club because they win on the field. They have had Geelong all to themselves for 150 odd years but it wasn't until 2007 that they became great. Sure, having Geelong as their home base has helped but they won because they became professional and a football club that is all about winning. In fact, their support in Melbourne is growing exponentially. It makes me sick walking the streets of Melbourne seeing more people wearing Cats paraphernalia than Demons.

This won't change until we start winning.

nice points..

my theme isn't about getting us wins. its about building a real connection to a home base first & foremost,,,, the connection to a place thats ours where we can all go at will. from this a connection establishes & respects & connections between people grow, even if once a week on regular basis. people and players can then get to recognise & to know one another @ training, & from that respectful connections & meaningful connections develop.

this IMO underpins what the Clubs stand for.

from there, member numbers can grow from the available contact, & the feeling of respect from can grow emotional connections. care.

these are the things which drive a really strong culture & the passion to play for the jumper.... our jumper lacks those contacts & connections & so that extra passion. we are a bit disconnected as a club.

its not wins that keep players from other teams from joining us, its the hollow feeling perceived of us & the jumper... it stands for nothing.

we can get media stuff going but that is spin.

its the love generated within a club & its real connections, that becomes the magnetism that binds it, & then leaves others in admiration of what the club is & stands for.

Out of all the love & all these connections, numbers grow, & then as a result finances improve & the health of the club to stand alone becomes a reality.

This is the grassroots of a club where new growth springs eternal.

From all this ^ Finances allow the footy part of this to get the skills & development required to maintain healthy growth. & the talent from other places wishing to jump on board.

• 4 years later...
On 4/7/2013 at 10:45 AM, dee-luded said:

We will Never be able to build a sustainably strong club without building this facility around Swan st Richmond.

the Bombers, Cats, Pies, Hawks, Blues, & where are We?

apparently we stand for nothing & nowhere.... out of touch with its people & losing......

. . . . . . . it's time to wake up & give back to the people, good Melbourne people...........

SO Eddie has been the driver of all the redevelopment ideas of the MCG Southern Stand, and the concourse above Brunton Avenue to Richmond Station, and a covering over of the rail-lines.  Has he SAM ???

Has he indeed!

So bigh ead was busy on this, all the way back to 2011 - 2014.   whata prophet is Ed.

Having a social club for fans after games is stupid  idea after a win it will be full, after a lose it will be empty, or full of  wrist slashers. Dees supporters are the worst ever, after every lose everyone one acts like its the death of the club and this lose will  extinct the club, and even after most wins you get a huge amount who will say lucky we played a bad team, if we play like that against this side or this side we will get smashed. After ever lose even a 2  point lose I stay away from this site, it's the worst place to be, and its not only here all the demon Facebook pages are the same.

Get a grip all you fair weather supporters you make me sick, the lose hurts but gee everyone wants to throw the baby out with the bath water.

2 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

Having a social club for fans after games is stupid  idea after a win it will be full, after a lose it will be empty, or full of  wrist slashers. Dees supporters are the worst ever, after every lose everyone one acts like its the death of the club and this lose will  extinct the club, and even after most wins you get a huge amount who will say lucky we played a bad team, if we play like that against this side or this side we will get smashed. After ever lose even a 2  point lose I stay away from this site, it's the worst place to be, and its not only here all the demon Facebook pages are the same.

Get a grip all you fair weather supporters you make me sick, the lose hurts but gee everyone wants to throw the baby out with the bath water.

A post which explains quite well why you call yourself "don't make me angry". I recommend a Bex and a good lie down.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Thankfully you can relive them all new and improved with DV8

I was afraid to ask if they were the one and the same.

They both seem to run the same topics into the ground but, to me at least, reading DV8's posts are slightly less akin to spending an afternoon huffing paint thinner.

These days with virtual projected walls and needless to say the improvement in technology to come a shared facility is possible.

Not sure that long term it is a great idea. Pubs have been in decline for years and have been reinventing themselves in various guises ... why do people think that social clubs that require heavy alcohol consumption/pokies to make money (and let's not have sports betting please) are a good idea.