Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Who will be in the new Leadership group

Barney Rubble

Nobody mentions Watts though plenty of posts seem to admire that way his play is progressing. Is he not regarded by the other players as a leader?

Nobody mentions Watts though plenty of posts seem to admire that way his play is progressing. Is he not regarded by the other players as a leader?

I guess we will find out.

And just because your 'play is progressing' doesn't mean you are a leader.

I guess we will find out.

And just because your 'play is progressing' doesn't mean you are a leader.

I also think he has more to do than worry about leadership issues.

Just play well every week JW and I will be wrapped

Grimes/JT Captain

Jones VC

Clark

Frawley

Howe or Rodan

Dawes

Jamar

We could hold off on Howe as he is still only young and is developing him game, possibly put in D-Rod instead. Everything I've heard about him so far is that he's been a great mentor to the young blokes and is well regarded. Most of the people that have spoken up during the Darwin trip have been in the leadership group before so I can't see it changing much.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

I hope Clark and Dawes both make it into the leadership group. I also think that they should be given licence to put the opposition off their game by performing awesome political satire during the course of play. ;)

Edited by Guest

You don't put blokes in the leadership group in the hope that they will pull their finger out.

100% with you - not sure how to read that the leadership group is picked by a combination of the players/admin and coaches in relation to how much say Neeld actually has.

Either way - you earn your place in the group - not get given a place in the hope that you will earn it on the job.

Sylvia in the LG?

Why do people think that being in the LG *gives* a player leadership?

The leaders will be in the group, not the ones who you wish were leaders. As a leader in a team, it would be foolish to belittle the experience by giving it to the 8th person in line simply because you are at your wits end as to how to get a bloke to pull his finger out.

Clark, Garland, Frawley, Jones, and Rodan.

Agreed.

And why do people also believe that "talent" means a player is a leader ( Watts ? Howe ?)

I checked on Mike Sheahans top 20 ( not that his list is definitive - but ok for this exercise) and noted that around 40% of the top 20 aren't in their clubs leadership group.

Co jacks for the captaincy and I would throw nicho or T.mac in there for their efforts on the training track. They have both shown the professional efforts required in the off season.

Co jacks for the captaincy and I would throw nicho or T.mac in there for their efforts on the training track. They have both shown the professional efforts required in the off season.

Being a good trainer doesnt necessarily make you a leader - being in the leadership group shouldnt be a reward for being a champion footballer, top trainer or a motivation to do better. Elevation to the leadership group should be a reward for showing good leadership qualities.

my 20c worth

Trengove

Grimes

Clark
Jones

Dawes

Rodan
Frawley

and maybe ..believe it or not...but Davey I think hes bought back into things and as got himself and by example some others going as well. Hes had a mentoring role for years and I think they'll now look to leverage this ( if hes to be around a year or two )

But in reality the last spot is a bit open for mine.

Is that some kind of joke ? Not a hope in hades.

Dawes is a given to be in.

It is amazing who is, and isn't, in posters' LGs.

It is also odd who are and, are not, on posters' ignore lists...

Ignore those who challenge you but respond constantly to those you think are challenged.

• Like 1

Being a good trainer doesnt necessarily make you a leader - being in the leadership group shouldnt be a reward for being a champion footballer, top trainer or a motivation to do better. Elevation to the leadership group should be a reward for showing good leadership qualities.

I agree with you to some extent but I believe both T.mac and Nicho have lead by example this off season with their fitness and work ethic. They should both be looked up to by toumpass viney and other young players.

I agree with you to some extent but I believe both T.mac and Nicho have lead by example this off season with their fitness and work ethic. They should both be looked up to by toumpass viney and other young players.

Their fitness and natural atheleticism is something that all our players should aim for but we also have to be careful in that the likes of T Mac, Nicho and Jonesy are exactly that - phenomenal athletes - that doesnt mean they go above and beyond the call or can be called leaders ( Jones in my opinion is one player that does)

I have a great love for Joel Mac - turns the ball over and makes some really dodgy decisions - yet I have never seen him once shirk an issue - or go less than 100% at a contest or drop his head. Come better times he wont be in the team because of his shortcomings but I admire him none the less - I have watched him train - he is not the first the past the finishing line and is far from a natural athlete but he gives 110% on the track none the less.

Every footballer on our list should be thinking to themselves - "I have the talent to kick the ball well and make decent decisions but if I can just emulate Joel Mac's commitment to the contest then I will be a better footballer"

• Like 2

Is that some kind of joke ? Not a hope in hades.

Dawes is a given to be in.

The Trojan Horse was "a given".

Given that-Dawes was behind our own group at the start of pre-season .

I say-let him watch and learn for a while .

I might as well be provocative

Grimes ©

Jones (VC)

Trengove

Frawley

Clark

Dawes

Jamar

T McDonald

I expect the club will stick with the co-captains - but I would use the fact that he is missing a lot of the pre-season as am excuse to ease Trenners out of the top job to concentrate more on his own form. Jonesy deserves a promotion.

Some might say that it is too early for Tommy Mac - but he is a very impressive young man clearly respected by the FD and the players.He and Dawes represent fresh blood .... which I think we need.

I've dropped out Garland who had a very ordinary year last year.

Rodan is an enthusiast - but I don't think he has shown himself yo be a leader in his career to date - not known for his work in the trenches.I'd be delighted to see Sylvia there if he wins the players vote - but I'd like to see him perform consistently first.I'd also be interested to know where Watts sits with the players

I know the Players were asked to put in their votes for LG after the conclusion of "Top End"

But does anyone know when a decision will be made?

I assume it will be announced when training resumes in the New Year.

I thought Neeld mentioned that the announcement would be as late as the NAB Cup!

I might as well be provocative

Grimes ©

Jones (VC)

Trengove

Frawley

Clark

Dawes

Jamar

T McDonald

I expect the club will stick with the co-captains - but I would use the fact that he is missing a lot of the pre-season as am excuse to ease Trenners out of the top job to concentrate more on his own form. Jonesy deserves a promotion.

Some might say that it is too early for Tommy Mac - but he is a very impressive young man clearly respected by the FD and the players.He and Dawes represent fresh blood .... which I think we need.

I've dropped out Garland who had a very ordinary year last year.

Rodan is an enthusiast - but I don't think he has shown himself yo be a leader in his career to date - not known for his work in the trenches.I'd be delighted to see Sylvia there if he wins the players vote - but I'd like to see him perform consistently first.I'd also be interested to know where Watts sits with the players

Grimes and Trengove are almost a certainty to remain co-captains, Neeld and the board would not have ratified the decision to go with such young leaders only to remove one from the role a year later. That would do more harm to a player than good from a confidence perspective. Just because he is injured doesn't provide a reason to remove him from the captaincy. You could argue that he could work even more on his leadership skills, or do things off the field whilst in recovery.

I do agree that Garland could drop out of the leadership group, but I don't expect to see too many changes to the group. Dawes might get in, but he has a lot to prove over the preseason. Just because he is interested doesn't mean that much to me. He needs to show something over the whole preseason.

Edited by Oucher
  • Like 1

I don't see (at this stage) how Dawes could get into the LG when he has spent all of his time in the rehab group doing circle work on another oval. Maybe when he starts in the main group, presumably after the Christmas break, his leadership quailites come to the fore. If he is added to the LG now it woud clearly be a political appointment by Neeld.

Neels has already stated that the co-Captains would remain for 2013.

I don't think a player who trains hard over the preseason, such as the previously mentioned T Mc and Nicho, should be rewarded with a spot in the LG. Working your arse off and training hard should be the minimum of all listed players.

The LG is much more than just who plays well and who trains hard. Judd does both, but he's not a leader's backside. He is one of minimal examples where we, as "outsiders", can sit back and say that a person is lacking leadership qualities. I for one have no idea who is a good leader at the MFC, as a lot of the things a good leader should do would happen behind closed doors.

That said, and looking at last year's group, I can't see any changes, other than Bartram out (obviously), and I think he will be replaced by Byrnes.