Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jake Stringer

Dr. Mubutu

Surprised he's not talked up more on this board, but I'd love to get this kid if we somehow manage to pilfer Viney in the second round.

Playing as a KPF due to lack of fitness, has managed a bag of 10 in the TAC cup, but is more of a bullocking midfielder.

Seems to be drifting down the rankings due to a broken leg, but since this is an injury unlikely to reoccur, and we are (unfortunately) well-acquainted with the recovery required from this with both Strauss and Blease going down with the same injury, surely he's one we'd be looking closely at?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/bendigos-jake-stringer-a-budding-afl-star/story-e6frf9io-1226341933066

He's also played as the 23rd man in the VFL for Bendigo Gold, and managed to get in the bests with 18 disposals and 7 tackles in a losing side against Geelong.

Many in the know have compared his playstyle to Pavlich, in that he can be both an effective midfielder and KPF (albeit undersized).

Would like to hear others' thoughts if we were to pick him up at pick 4? I, for one, would love for this to happen.

Must admit I have liked the sound of Stringer from what I have read about him. and I'll be interested to see where he goes in the draft, it doesn't sound likely that he would slide to our mid round pick, So depending on what happens with Jack Viney, then one of the picks 3 and 4 will no doubt be a midfielder, but the question is what happens with the other? is it Grundy if he is still around? a smaller forward/mid like Ben Kennedy or a player like Stringer who looks like he could hold down a similar role to Jack Darling (looking at size and weight) but perhaps ultimately moving into a midfielder role.

Edited by Oucher

pick 13 if available i think. Weve had enough kids with broken legs.

Riiiiight, good luck with that. Seriously doubt he will be there at 13.

No doubt the club has had enough of Blease and Strauss. :wacko:

Riiiiight, good luck with that. Seriously doubt he will be there at 13.

No doubt the club has had enough of Blease and Strauss. :wacko:

by recent reports his dropping down the pool quite a bit. You never know.

At least we should have the expertise and experience to know where his broken leg is at and what would be required to get him going.

• Like 1

Will he be this year's Jack Darling. He was meant to be a disaster off the field and has been a revelation that the weagles. The draft history has been full of examples where players have slipped down the ranks due to injury, Judd, selwood the list goes on.

Thats the point I was almost about to make. Darling's last junior year was nothing special compared to the year before...

... but then again the same can't be said for Tom Swift and how he has progressed...

Edited by Oucher

Thats the point I was almost about to make. Darling's last junior year was nothing special compared to the year before...

... but then again the same can't be said for Tom Swift and how he has progressed...

Yes it can.

Swift was a star at 16 and was out with a knee at 17, which is why he slid to 20+.

Yes it can.

Swift was a star at 16 and was out with a knee at 17, which is why he slid to 20+.

Sorry I know that.

My point (perhaps not super clearly stated) was that Swift wasn't a star, who was hit down with injury only to come back as a gun player (See Joel Selwood, Darling, etc)

34 unforgettable games in 4 years?

Here is a phantom draft from Big Footy. Good reading IMO. I think GWS will swap Jack Martin to Suns for pick 2, so Whitfield #1 and Grundy #2 to GWS.

Stringer in my opinion will go between #9-12 pick. He has huge potential. Just wish he didn't have the broken leg and we got to see his best in this years under 18s champs.

1st Round

1. Greater Western Sydney - Brodie Grundy (Ruck)

Height: 202cm

Weight: 100kg

Club: Sturt

Range: 1-6

Description: Grundy would be one of the best ruckman available in quite some time. He is probably the only true rival to Whitfield for that no.1 selection especially with Sheedy's comments about talls. Excellent tap ruckman who can really bring his midfielders into the game. Already has a big body and with his mobility and ability below his knees I think he will be able to come in and play as a 2nd ruck from day one. Could probably be the no.1 ruck on ability but he'd just get banged up. Reasonable contested mark, good tank on him already and his kicking skills are improving very quickly.

2. Gold Coast - Lachlan Whitfield (Midfielder)

Height: 184cm

Weight: 74kg

Club: Dandenong Stingrays

Range: 1-2

Description: Whitfield is the best junior in this years crop on current performances. To go along with his elite skills he has the endurance to just go and go all day at good speed. I have a feeling I read he clocked a 17 in the beep test which is incredible for a 17/18 year old. At this stage is more an outside midfielder who can go forward and kick goals which in modern footy is a more than handy attribute with the sub rule. With the Giants' array of inside mids Whitfield will be the outside class that they need to add to complete their midfield.

3. Melbourne - Jimmy Toumpas (Midfielder)

Height: 183

Weight: 74

Club: Woodville West Torrens

Range: 2-5

Description: Toumpas is a very highly skilled midfielder from SA.He's a player that a coach can throw anywhere on the field and he can perform. Has already been performing to a very high level at SANFL senior level as a 16 year old including a premiership with WWT. Like Whitfield is probably more of an outside type but has the ability to win a clearance and just burst out of a pack and be very damaging with his ball use once in the clear. Suns probably need inside mids Toumpas will be too hard to pass over and I believe ina few years will have no issue playing more inside.

4. Melbourne (compensation pick) - Sam Mayes (Midfielder/Forward)

Height: 187cm

Weight: 78kg

Club: North Adelaide

Range: 4-12

Description: I may be alone here but IMO Mayes will become the best player in this draft. Absolutely love the way he goes about his footy. He has one of, if not the very best kick in this draft pool. Top notch kick. Has a lot of versatility with his development beginning as a lead-up forward where he dominated at champs last year. This year has turned into a more full-time midfielder. Has copped some heavy defensive attention this year so is very highly rated. Last year playing forward he had the ability to get great separation from his defender and whilst I haven't really seen him use this burst as a midfielder as much he always seems to have an eternity. I think he compares pretty favorably to Pendlebury in this regard.

5. Western Bulldogs - Troy Menzel (Midfielder/Forward)

Height: 186cm

Weight: 77kg

Club: Central Districts

Range: 5-20

Description: If Menzel can stay fit he will probably be one of the most damaging players in the draft. Managed to kick 15 goals in 2 Champs games before succumbing to injury. Has had the LARS surgery but that was some 2 years ago. While I’ve currently got him going quite late I’m sure someone will take the punt on him early. Will probably go between 10-15 at least. Troy is a highly skilled medium forward/midfielder. He’s a great size and elite kick of the footy. As a forward he is more than capable of getting his goals from being a lead and mark player or as a crumber similar to a Stevie J. When fit is a pretty good athlete which should hold him in good stead at Draft Camp and boost his draft prospects.

6. Western Bulldogs (compensation pick) - Dayle Garlett (Midfielder/Forward)

Height: 180cm

Weight: 75kg

Club: Swan Districts

Range: 4-15

Description:Garlett is the most interesting player come draft night for mine. Will he go top 5-10 like his talent deserves or will he slide out of the first round due to his 'attitude problems.' By all accounts he still has a fair way to go to rid himself of the perception he has created but he has gone a long way to doing so. Another highly skilled outside mid going early but he has genuine line-breaking ability with his pace and deadly accurate kicking skills. He also has the ability to win his own ball but his forte will be as a goal-kicking outside midfielder.

7. Port Adelaide - Ben Kennedy (Midfielder/Forward)

Height: 174cm

Weight: 76kg

Club: Glenelg

Range: 6-25

Description: Kennedy is a lightning quick midfielder/small forward. Is very much capable of doing both to a very high level. Can rack up a huge number of possession through the midfield or kick bags of goals in the forward line. If he was bigger would be a certain top 10 IMO and is still a chance to go there. By all accounts was very close to being selected by Adelaide with the mini-draft pick last year so that gives an idea of where he is at. One thing I really like about him for a guy who has the assets he does is he has a touch of arrogance. (Maybe more than a touch) Just has that I’m going to be able to burn you off look in his eyes when he sizes his opponent up.

8. Brisbane - Lachlan Plowman (Defender/Midfielder)

Height: 191cm

Weight: 86kg

Club: Calder Cannons

Range: 4-13

Description: Plowman is a very good rebounding KPD whom the VM coach has said was sorely missed during the Champs (can't have been missed too much seems they won it clip_image002.png). I have him this high because a few Melbourne fans have said they believe they will take him. Just a hunch but I think his career may pan out similar to a Mundy. First few years as a rebounding HBF but then move into a midfield role.

9. Richmond - Josh Simpson (Forward/Midfielder)

Height: 183cm

Weight: 72kg

Club: East Fremantle

Range: 7-25

Description: Simpson broke his collarbone I believe earlier in the year so had a slow start and showed a few signs in the Championships. Plays midfield and forward and will probably start his career as a forward before developing into a midfielder. He still has a bit of filling out to do to be ready for AFL but he has some really great skills both football wise and athletically. Has a huge leap on him to go with some very good pace. Think long term he will develop into a Daniel Wells type.

10. Fremantle - Mason Shaw (KPF/Ruck)

Height: 198cm

Weight: 92kg

Club: South Fremantle

Range: 8-16

Description: It's a shame about the broken jaw that Shaw received earlier in the year. Kicked 8 in his return game but he hasn't really got going yet outside of that. Not completely sold on Shaw as a high pick but he's a great size at 198cm and can play as a 2nd ruck as well as FF. He's more of a stay at home forward rather that a guy who will roam up the field which is fine because he is a very good contested mark and looks like he could fill out to be a monster like Tippett. Kicked 7 in last years Grand Final so that should hold him in good stead come draft night.

11. St.Kilda - Jake Stringer (Midfielder/Forward)

Height: 191cm

Weight: 91kg

Club: Bendigo Pioneers

Description: Stringer could be the bargain of the draft or he may never get over his injury. He’s being looked at as a mid-late first rounder and with the Cats interest in him with a mini-draft pick they will be over the moon if he could last until their pick. Stringer is just a man mountain in under 18’s. I have a few question marks over his foot skills (I’ll admit I hadn’t seen him pre-broken leg so that could be the reason) and whether or not he dominates midfield because he’s just that much bigger. Having said that he’s not an awful kick and he does crack in hard so that should translate to being a dominate AFL clearance player too. I think if you are drafting him it’s as a midfielder who rests forward rather than a forward who pinch hits.

12. North Melbourne - Jonathon O'Rourke (Midfielder)

Height: 183cm

Weight: 75kg

Club: Calder Cannons

Range: 8-18

Description: O'Rourke is a skillful inside/outside mid who could possibly rise into top 10 calculations by seasons end. After an injury riddled 2011 he has remained injury free this year. Not an overly big player physically but is quite an accomplished player on the inside. Always seems to have time to pick the right option and hit his target. Fantastic composure. Is also a very good athlete with good mix of endurance and speed. Will probably play a season or two as an outside mid before moving into the guts.

13. Melbourne (compensation pick) - Oliver Wines (Midfielder)

Height: 185cm

Weight: 83kg

Club: Bendigo Pioneers

Description: Wines would challenge Viney for the title of best inside midfielder in this draft. He's a fair bit bigger than Viney and isn't afraid to crash in with his big frame. Has pretty good endurance so can run all day but isn't overly quick. He's a decent kick without being anything special and at Champs it would have been nice to see him convert a bit more of his oportunities in front of goal.He could be a viable option for GC if they really want a pure ball winner but I think they'll just go best available and pick inside mids later.

14. Carlton - Nick Vlastuin (Midfielder)

Height: 187cm

Weight: 83kg

Club: Northern Knights

Description: Vlastuin is a real hard nut inside midfielder. Someone who a GC, Richmond, Carlton would love to have. Wasn’t hugely productive in the Champs but was playing a new role off a HBF. For a big bodied inside mid he has some pretty neat kicking skills. The downside to him would be that he isn’t the most athletically gifted player going around in that he isn’t very quick, he doesn’t have a big leap and he’s already very physically developed. However, he is already a pretty high level player and has the added bonus of good leadership quality as well.

15. Sydney - Kristian Jaksch (KPF/KPD)

Height: 194cm

Weight: 85kg

Club: Oakleigh Chargers

Range: 8-30

Description: I think Jaksch will turn out to be the best of this years KPF. Not sure he is worthy of a top 10 pick at this stage but I think a team will snatch him up quite early. Is a pretty solid KPD but it's his work as a KPF that will push him up to being a pick in the top 15-20. Is a very good contested mark and I believe he is a guy you could build an attack around long term. Has very good skills for a big man and believe he will turn into a big, strong FF/CHF like a Hurley type.

The photo of Stringer's injury isn't so graphic that it should be deleted. It's fair for those that haven't seen it to realise what he's coming back from.

The whole country is becoming a nanny state.

Our utopian AFL competition is a prime example of a nanny state, with the AFL propping up teams like North, Melbourne, Footscray, GWS, GCS and others. Without salary caps, drafts and massive funding, half the competition would go out of business overnight.

The photo of Stringer's injury isn't so graphic that it should be deleted. It's fair for those that haven't seen it to realise what he's coming back from.

The whole country is becoming a nanny state.

Ummmmm, you didn't post it in this thread. It's in the Wines thread.

• Like 1

Really hope MFC takes a risk and gets this kid......

Grimes had back problems, and now is one of our better players...... Blease broke his leg early on, and is now one of our most promising players......

If we get Stringer he'll be one of, if not the best players on our list within three years.....

Take two.

Just so some know what Stringer is coming back from. Look away if you don't like seeing broken legs.

Picture deleted

I really didn't need to see that.

Recent TAC Cup reports aren't for good reading, but I reckon he's simply maxxed out after being underdone due to the injury.

When he resumed fresh earlier this year, his numbers were massive. That's where his ability should be measured IMO.

Yep seen him play last year and this, Is your Dustin Martin type, breaks tackles very good one on one and physical, has and awkward running pattern at the momment because of the break but is getting better as the year goes on.

Lock him In

Remember Buddy had shoulder worrys at the draft,

Take a risk Melbourne