Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

SLEEPERS by The Oracle

You could easily be forgiven for thinking that it was the entire Melbourne Football Club and not Dan Connors and Dustin Martin who had a big night out, decided to take some sleeping pills and turned up late for their assignation. That's how it appeared in the opening quarter of their game against the Tigers as the Demons put on a convincing portrayal of a team in a stupor desperately imitating the mannerisms of the Keystone Cops on its way to a football belting.

They made the mistakes of a tired side lacking in skills, unable to make the correct decisions and appearing decidedly out of position and out of place. You just knew from the moment Lynden Dunn gave that nudge in the back for Richmond's first goal early in the game that things weren't going to go well and it was only for the fact that the Tigers had the kicking yips in front of goal that prevented them from setting up a huge percentage booster as they push towards the finals.

The problem for Melbourne was that it had the yips all over the ground and not just in front of goal so we were treated to the now routine abysmal start involving errant handpasses (usually the one in the chain too many), kicks to teammates that float over their heads and end safely in the hands of an opponent or out of bounds on the full and the gift of stupid free kicks that inevitably result in cheap opposition scores.

The spectre of a shameful scoreless first quarter was definitely on the cards when Stef Martin missed one from an angle but Sam Blease stepped in with one of his now typical ripping left foot goals. When they woke up and the dust had settled, the Demons found themselved trailing by 1.0.6 to 4.6.30. Sure, it could have (and perhaps should have) been worse but it could also have been so much better had the team come into the game more organised and wide awake.

From that point, the result was never in doubt but at least Melbourne fought its way through the game and even narrowly outscored Richmond in the final three quarters, helped by the Tigers poor kicking for goal, some abysmal and inconsistent field umpiring, and a great solo performance from Nathan Jones who has been a shining light at the club this season.

The main thrust of any Demon fightback was effectively stilled by the comedy of errors that ended with a video review that disallowed what appeared to be a flaky goal off the boot of James Magner. It started when Magner intercepted a mark that appeared headed for the safe hands of Jared Rivers. The shot was taken from only 35 metres out but it disappeared into a crowd of players with legs and arms apparently flailing around an untouched ball. The goal umpire looked ready to pay the goal but then every official on the ground had a say and it went to the video review which was said to have proved inconclusive. A goal to Melbourne would have meant it was game on but it was not to be.

Melbourne had a few other triers but there simply weren't enough of them. Colin Sylvia is regaining some form, James Frawley did his best in curtailing Jack Riewoldt and Jack Watts showed his undoubted class.

Regrettably, the team is still hopelessly undermanned, under strength and simply doesn't have the experienced cool heads at this stage to lead the way in times of crisis. There are too many of the best 22 out of the side and the slack is not being taken up by young blood as it should when you're sitting forlornly near the basement at 2 and 12.

Chris Connolly once said that if you made five or more changes to the side then you had little chance of winning.  But that is exactly what Richmond did after a horror week when it lost players to suspension and injury. The Tigers changed their team because of circumstance and still won - even if it was a case of winning ugly.

It's time for Melbourne to ring in the changes this week. There were enough passengers who slept on the job against Richmond to warrant changes to the team. Hopefully, Mark Jamar will be back in the side from injury but he should be joined by a combination of youth and experience to replace the sleepers. It would also assist if the team if Mark Neeld reconsidered his decision to play so many of his charges out of their normal positions. That sort of experimentation often proves successful on a one out basis but in the long run, simply doesn't work.

The team is floundering and the forward line is a shambles in the absence of Mitch Clark and Liam Jurrah. Colin Garland, Jared Rivers and Magner never looked like kicking multiple numbers of goals up there while Lynden Dunn and Watts need a change back to the forward line.

Melbourne has a former under 18 All Australian key position player running around at Casey. Another young key defender has been on the cusp of selection and named emergency a few times this year. A few others have been battling on their way back from injury. It's time to see what they're made of and put them on the big stage for next week's game against the Dockers, failing which many supporters might well take the easy option and simply sleep in on Saturday.

Melbourne 1.06 4.4.28 5.6.36 11.12.78

Richmond 4.6.30 6.1248 9.20.74 13.23.101

Goals

Melbourne Martin 2 Bail Bennell Blease Garland Jones McKenzie Rivers Sylvia Tapscott

Richmond  Nahas 4 Deledio McGuane 2 Edwards Grigg Riewoldt Tuck White

Best

Melbourne Jones Martin Frawley Sylvia Bail Watts

Richmond Tuck Grigg Deledio Houli Cotchin Nahas

Injuries

Melbourne Frawley (concussion)

Richmond Griffiths (calf tightness)

Changes

Melbourne Nil

Richmond Nil

Reports

Melbourne Nil

Richmond Nil

Umpires Wenn Armstrong Foot

Official Crowd 46,773 at MCG

4 quarters of good honest effort. 3 quarters of pretty average skills, and 1 quarter of shocking skills and loads of school boy turnovers.

In all honesty, we should of been down by 10 goals at quarter time, but from there we battled bravely but weren't good enough.

Don't think you can lay into the structures and game plan, when in reality it was the continuous stream of simple turnovers that cost us. It is hard to stick to plans and continue to run forward into the right spaces when you know the bloke with the ball is a good chance of butchering it.

Considering we were playing our B team, not a bad effort to win even 2 quarters.

If only there were a Fast Forward button, and we could just instantly get 50 games (together) into most of the team.

I find it very difficult to barrack for a team that plays Joel MacDonald.

I find it hard not to growl when I see Jack watts jogging outside a contest looking disinterested in the 1st quarter.

• Like 2

Another embarrassing loss. Lucky they didn't kick straight or it would have been disgusting. Neeld is cementing himself as the worst coach in the league and the time for debate about a replacement should be starting in the coming weeks if not now.

• Like 1

Replying to stuie from the Gameday thread:

And as for that second part of your post..... You really think a loss won't hurt? Do you even read demonland? Do you think as a club we have a good image? Respect?

1) A loss doesn't hurt me as much now I know what to expect, so ... no.

2) I don't read Demonland. I don't care for what others think - with a few notable exceptions.

3) Ask someone who knows better. I try not to resort to platitudes. Do you think we have a "good image"? How is it measured?

Upsides for me were Sylvia and Tappscott. I enjoyed their games. Bail, Howe and Nicholson's kicking was terrible at times. Ive never rated Bail and have been waiting to be proven wrong. Trenners is just gawn this season for what ever reason. A shadow of his former self. McKenzie did ok in his role. Otherwise not much to say.

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

It was a 10 goal defeat masquerading as a 4 goal defeat.

Does any club in the league have slower or dumber footballers than the MFC ? They were terrible all over the ground. A few genuine A grade mids will make the world of difference to this club over the next few years.

• Like 7

I find it hard not to growl when I see Jack watts jogging outside a contest looking disinterested in the 1st quarter.

It's an odd one. On the one hand we want him to show an appetite for the contest and ability to win the contested ball, on the other we want him to be the man being fed the ball so he can use his burst of speed and excellent kicking to set us up. I clearly remember Mick Malthouse saying that one of our biggest problems was not trusting the man at the contest to get the ball out, which led to us playing like under-10s and all rushing to the ball. Having a player willing to hang off and be an outlet is a good thing from that perspective, but not if it comes from an unwillingness to get stuck into the rough stuff. So how can we tell which it is?

After 1/4 time we won the game by a point,although their poor kicking flattered us.I long for the day when we get off to a great start,even GWS had 3 goals on the board before we pulled our fingers out.

This was all about experimentation with Garland/Rivers Forward and Watts/Dunn Back and Moloney the sub,harding trying to win the game!!!

Bail's kicking is shocking,Magner is tired/out of position and Trengove gives us nothing.

• Like 1

We are a team of slow B graders with poor skills and not enough hunger to win.

When i think that guys with good skills like Petterd , Green and Davey are in the twos and we continually play turnover merchants such as Macdonald, Mckenzie, Dunn etc.

Edited by DeeZee

Replying to stuie from the Gameday thread:

1) A loss doesn't hurt me as much now I know what to expect, so ... no.

2) I don't read Demonland. I don't care for what others think - with a few notable exceptions.

3) Ask someone who knows better. I try not to resort to platitudes. Do you think we have a "good image"? How is it measured?

You don't read Demonland? How can that be true if you responded to what some wrote on Demonland?

• Like 1

I can't believe the mild reaction. We essentially lost by 12-15 goals today. Yes we didn't 'give up', but since when is that not a given?

We are one of the most highly disorganized and poorly skilled teams I have ever seen.

Also the umpires today should be taken out the back and kicked in the balls. Pathetic display!

• Like 2

It's an odd one. On the one hand we want him to show an appetite for the contest and ability to win the contested ball, on the other we want him to be the man being fed the ball so he can use his burst of speed and excellent kicking to set us up. I clearly remember Mick Malthouse saying that one of our biggest problems was not trusting the man at the contest to get the ball out, which led to us playing like under-10s and all rushing to the ball. Having a player willing to hang off and be an outlet is a good thing from that perspective, but not if it comes from an unwillingness to get stuck into the rough stuff. So how can we tell which it is?

Jack showed a fair bit of intensity when he took those tough marks in the backline or dove one the ball in the forward line today. Clearly his "lack of intensity" is not out-and-out softness.

He has taken that observation to heart Ralphy.

I can't believe the mild reaction. We essentially lost by 12-15 goals today. Yes we didn't 'give up', but since when is that not a given?

We are one of the most highly disorganized and poorly skilled teams I have ever seen.

Also the umpires today should be taken out the back and kicked in the balls. Pathetic display!

Ah. Jaded has arrived. Did you have a pleasant day at the footy, then?

Trengove gives us nothing.

Trengove has been a shadow of the player he was from even in his first year, but at least his marking is coming back. I'm hoping that it's similar to an out of form batsman that starts catching balls in slips that they've been missing, which has coincided with their poor form. It's amazing how often their form is predicated by their catching.

He just looks so heavy in his legs.

Today was a F....ing Disgrace..MFC supporters do not demand enough...Years of eroding hope does this

I see it in Asia each day right now.

Confused as to what Bennel and Bail give to the team. Bate still makes the same old errors and still can't mark over the head. Blease can't find the footy. Trengove and Grimes are borderline embarrassing. Howe drops to many marks, is a horrible kick including set shots. Good suburban footballer really.

Jones and Sylvia I thought were our best. Jones looked quick and classy.