Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS

Demonland

SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS by Whispering Jack

Looking ahead at Melbourne's draw beyond this week's game against the Western Bulldogs does not exactly fill one with any great confidence. The rest of the first half of the season promises to be an even greater nightmare than what has transpired over the past three weeks.

The potential weekly fare of games against top eight contenders from rounds five through to eleven (all inclusive) reads like this - St Kilda, Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, Carlton, Essendon, and Collingwood. This scenario makes a win this week against fellow cellar dwellers, the Western Bulldogs, absolutely an imperative.

As if it wasn't imperative anyway in view of the fact that the club has designated this match to commemorate one of its great heroes - a man recently acknowledged as its most popular former players ahead of such greats as Ron Barassi, Robert Flower and its many other heroes of the past.

The sad thing for Melbourne is that both on and off the field, things have not been good. The off field dramas, injury and now the suspension of one of its captains has been mirrored by its performances on the ground. The loss at the hands of the West Coast Eagles in Perth might have been expected (if not its size) but the performances against both Brisbane (by 41 points) and Richmond (by 59 points) were unacceptable.

In those cases it wasn't the size of the defeats alone that made them so remarkably disappointing but the shameful way in which the team capitualted in the second half of each game. To be blown off the park in such a mistake-riddled and passionless way is unacceptable. They are being run off their feet and look tired and supporters ask what has been done to prepare the players in terms of their skills and their fitness to take on the rest of the competition?

We are searching for answers.

THE GAME

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs at MCG – Sunday 22 April 2012 at 4.40pm (AEST)

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall: Melbourne 83 wins Western Bulldogs 70 wins 1 draw

At MCG: Melbourne 43 wins Western Bulldogs 25 wins

Since 2000: Melbourne 10 wins Western Bulldogs 10 wins

The Coaches: Neeld 0 wins McCartney 0 wins

MEDIA

TV Foxtel Footy Channel (live at 4.30pm)

Radio SEN ABC774 3AW Triple M

THE BETTING Melbourne to win $3.00 Western Bulldogs $1.40

LAST TIME THEY MET

Western Bulldogs 19.13.127 defeated Melbourne 8.15.63 in Round 15, 2011 at Etihad Stadium

This was a vital must win game for the Demons which at that stage of the season was considered a chance to figure in the finals. Against the then out of form Bulldogs they meekly capitualted in what was to become a forerunner of a number of disappointing efforts that have since dogged the club. Apart from Ricky Petterd's hanger early in the game, it was a night to forget.

TEAMS

MELBOURNE

Backs James Frawley Jared Rivers Clint Bartram

Half backs Rohan Bail Colin Garland Luke Tapscott

Centreline Matthew Bate Brent Moloney Nathan Jones

Half forwards Jordie McKenzie Jack Watts Jeremy Howe

Forwards Tom McDonald Mitchell Clark Aaron Davey

Followers Mark Jamar James Magner Jack Trengove

Interchange Lynden Dunn Joel Macdonald Cale Morton James Sellar

Emergencies Thomas Couch Jack Fitzpatrick Ricky Petterd

In Joel Macdonald Brent Moloney

Out Jack Grimes (suspended) Stef Martin

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Backs Dylan Addison Lukas Markovic Robert Murphy

Half backs Easton Wood Ryan Hargrave Patrick Veszpremi

Centreline Luke Dahlhaus Matthew Boyd Daniel Cross

Half forwards Adam Cooney Liam Jones Daniel Giansiracusa

Forwards Justin Sherman Ayce Cordy Nathan Djerrkura

Followers William Minson Ryan Griffen Liam Picken

Interchange Jarrad Grant Shaun Higgins Jordan Roughead Mitchell Wallis

Emergencies Mark Austin Tory Dickson Thomas Liberatore

In Justin Sherman Patrick Veszpremi Mitchell Wallis

Out Brian Lake (suspension) Thomas Liberatore Clay Smith (soreness)

Umpires Wenn Armstrong Bannister

EXPOSED FORM 

I would really like to say that Melbourne has a chance to win against the Western Bulldogs on Sunday but there's no evidence available anywhere that could convince me that we're in for a sudden turn around of form. That's how bad things have been at Melbourne lately.

I can't point to the emotion of the day on which the Melbourne Football Club and the community in general celebrates the life of a club hero and iconic figure in the late Jim Stynes. A few weeks ago, the Demon faithful lined up and clapped their hands in appreciation of the man and his achievements. The team responded by giving very little on their home ground against lowly opposition. Their form since has given not a glimmer of hope or even some emotion to enthuse us about. They have been exposed as playing without soul. They make errors, they fail to tackle when tackles should be laid, they commit skill errors that indicate a lack of concentration. If all this is attributed to a change in style of play, then their rate of progress is at snail's pace. We might expect some improvement later this year or in the next. Not this week.

I can't point to the changes in the make up of the side to inspire a turn around from a 10 goal defeat at the hands of Richmond. The team lacked run last week. Brent Moloney and Joel Macdonald are experienced campaigners and while the former is reigning club champion, the exposed form of this duo is not going to make much difference in the run of a team that's been hitting the wall halfway through a marathon.

I can't point to the fact that this week's opposition is winless, lacking in confidence, also struck down by injury and suspension and had only two goals on the board deep into their last game. The Doggies always seem to come up with a hero to inspire them - even if it's a once a year performance from someone like Adam Cooney who did the job last year.

The only thing I can point to is divine providence inspired by Jimmy using some influence upstairs but since my brief in previewing games is to stick purely with logic, facts and exposed form and I have yet to find the answers I'm searching for, then it will be the Western Bulldogs by a fair margin.

Misson rates Moloney's chances of coming back in to the team. Petterd might get another run as well after a good game at Casey.

The boys seriously have to get some run and carry happening this week. The turnovers from the last three games literally make me feel ill.

Misson rates Moloney's chances of coming back in to the team. Petterd might get another run as well after a good game at Casey.

The boys seriously have to get some run and carry happening this week. The turnovers from the last three games literally make me feel ill.

McQueen it is banned under the current game plan i thought!

So don't expect much

Stay positive, keep working and the worm will turn.

I for one, am keen to be there when it does.

And it may be this week...

• Like 1

Listen to any talk about the Bulldogs' early demise and it's tempered by the fact that "well, you'll at least beat Melbourne next week ..." and so on.

It's not even treated as a contest by many. It is a surreal feeling.

I thought it was laughable that we were written off last week. $4.80 outsiders what a load of chicken manure.

Chunky did the right thing in his presser yesterday by commenting that Sunday's game will be treated the same as any other, despite it being a Stynes tribute.

We shouldn't get our hopes up, thinking that the effort will be raised for the occasion. It treats this game as a one-off. We want consistency instead, and Neeld is working on it.

Taking the emotion out of the game is a big tick next to Neeld's name IMO. But it should mean another tough loss to swallow on Sunday.

Bulldogs by six goals. I'll be there, keeping an eye on individual performance.

Will we play them back into form, or will we come out firing. I'd like to think we could turn it around but I wouldn't be putting down any spondulacks

We made them look like world-beaters at Etihad last year. The only game that their whole midfield clicked. If it happens again, result will be similar.

I'm a bit more optimistic about our chances this week, but that could just be because I dread the idea of my wife and her entire family being able to say they beat us again! But in reality i think our play has improved each week, and we are being competitive for longer. Secondly, the bulldogs have a very average forward line. Keep in mind they didn't even kick 6 goals against the saints last week. Their defense is also shaky. To me our forward line is more potent than theirs and if we can actually improve in the midfield then I can see us winning this game by a couple of goals. The fact that it is at the G' could also help us.

Edited by pm24

I'm still haunted by that Etihad effort last time.

I was expecting a win and was really discouraged by our effort that night. It was so lame it was like a rehearsal for what we have seen so far this year, and our recent record against the Dogs is not good.

Hey, I'm still haunted by that Friday night at the 'G in 2010 when we had them on the ropes with eight minutes to go and one of those pink umpires prompted a turnover from Bartram and the tide shifted.

If we win I'll be surprised and totally rapt and possibly incapable of turning up for work Monday.

Official Team Announced:

B: James Frawley, Jared Rivers, Clint Bartram

HB: Rohan Bail, Colin Garland, Luke Tapscott

C: Matthew Bate, Brent Moloney, Nathan Jones

HF: Jordie McKenzie, Jack Watts, Jeremy Howe

F: Tom McDonald, Mitch Clark, Aaron Davey

FOLL: Mark Jamar, James Magner, Jack Trengove

I/C (from): Cale Morton, Lynden Dunn, Ricky Petterd, Joel Macdonald, James Sellar, Tom Couch, Jack Fitzpatrick

IN: Macdonald, Moloney, Petterd, Couch, Fitzpatrick

OUT: Jack Grimes (suspension), Stef Martin

NEW: Tom Couch (Collingwood VFL)

--------------------------------------------------

Couch, Magner, and Moloney gives me some hope... And happy to see Petterd get another chance

Martin's omission has been no surprise and Fitz's elevation was to be expected. Idont think he will play

Expected bench: Morton, Petterd, Sellar, Dunn

Prefer to give Couch a run than Dunn but I think they will give it to Dunn by a whisker..

Martin's omission has been no surprise and Fitz's elevation was to be expected. Idont think he will play

Prefer to give Couch a run than Dunn but I think they will give it to Dunn by a whisker..

Would have thought Dunn would keep Morton out not Couch

I'd like to see Dunn start. Was effective with few opps last week and he has a body that can hold its ground. Rotating Watts, Howe and Dunn through the forward line to work alongside Clark gives us serious contested marking muscle (too bad we don't have the crumbers to work with them).

Would have thought Dunn would keep Morton out not Couch

Morton can play back/sweeper, and with Grimes out ... though maybe that's why MacDonald is included. Couch, Magner and Moloney is too one-dimensional, we need speed and spread. Would be surprised if those 3 play together all that much. Gysberts or even Blease would have been more useful if they were available or worth their spots. Ah, this is where we miss Scully, sorry to say.