• Latest Podcast: JLT 02 Brisbane

Sign in to follow this  
Whispering_Jack

Training - Wednesday 11th January, 2012

Training continues at Gosch's Paddock and will apparently move to Casey when Novak Djokovic, Caroline Wozniacki and co take over the precinct the following week.

Melbournefc twitter:

Come along to our open training session tomorrow from 9.45 am at Gosch's Paddock to see the boys in action.

Sorry if this is a silly question but we train Monday, Wednesday, Friday....what happens on Tuesday and Thursday in pre season?

Sorry if this is a silly question but we train Monday, Wednesday, Friday....what happens on Tuesday and Thursday in pre season?

Xbox gaming, visiting inking parlours and looking for schoolgirls around the bayside suburbs

Oh sorry ......wrong club.....scratch that

• Like 1

Lol! ..seriously though are the players doing club stuff on these two days or is it days off as part of the players association agreement?...I find it hard to imagine that it's only 3 days at the club this time of year?

Lol! ..seriously though are the players doing club stuff on these two days or is it days off as part of the players association agreement?...I find it hard to imagine that it's only 3 days at the club this time of year?

They train on the other days.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday are open sessions. Which mean that the public can go down at watch. Which is why we report about them.

The other days are closed sessions. (Closed to the public) So we don't get to have reports on those days and therefore don't talk about them much.

Thanks UTAH..where do they train as you can't close off Gosch's Paddock?

Someone else may be able to answer this a bit better than I can.

I think they still train there. Most of the clubs are really good about it and respect each other and stay away whilst there have been some amusing moments over the years with finding opposition club staff members up trees spying!

If your a member of the public i think you just get asked to leave.

They still train at Goschs on the off days, I see them out when I drive past. I stop and have a look sometimes and have never been told to move on

Not to mention weight sessions, pool sessions, video analysis, meetings with the senior coach, meetings with the line coaches, meetings with the development coaches, physio/massage therapy and the amount of time that just preparing for and recovering after a training session takes with strapping and ice baths and the likes.

A lot of work goes in to making the training that we might go and watch 3 days a week actually beneficial to the players.

Any news on today's training? I always look forward to the session reports...

Read the articles on the MFC web site, is quickly highlights the difference between Bailey and Neeld, last year it was all about Liam getting people through the gate the excitement, this year Liam has a role and is expected to do it no tyre pumping going on.

Could also be the difference between a coach in the last year of his contract vs a coach in his first year...

Hi All,

My 7 year old and I went to our first training session today (managed to dodge the downpour expertly) The following are a few observations but please understand that as my first session it is hard to compare. So in no particular order:

• Jack Watts looks significantly bigger than last year and more importantly is developing a bit of confidence about himself
  • Col Sylvia was training with the main group, I don't know if it is a first for the year but he looked totally switched on in the skills session
  • I love Jeremy Howe, he must be the pick up of last year for us, he has a touch of class about him with whatever he is doing
  • Chin looked huge up close
  • Stef Martin has a totally wacky hairdo at the moment (he was also looking good in the ruckwork i saw)
  • Tom McDonald seemed a little off pace today - was given push ups at the end of oner of the sessions
  • No LJ; apparently he was inside on the bike
  • Jacks T & G were in the rehab group, according to one of the trainers they are managing their load. JT then proceeded to do a heap of laps at a good lick.
  • Mitch Clark has great touch below his knees
  • Kelvin Lawrence looked extremely keen
  • No sign of Morts
  • Cook is a beanpole
  • We timed it till 35 minutes into the session before anyone kicked a footy - not a complaint, just an observation, all of the skills training to start the session was fast movement of the ball through traffic via hand. I was impressed how slick they looked but do take that with a pinch of first timer salt.
  • Sam Blease was excellent in the close in work, extremely fast and accurate with his disposal.
  • Nathan Jones is a training machine

We left after about an hour and they looked to be moving into a game simulation but maybe someone else will have further insight.

By the way there was heaps of parking on Swan Street east of Punt for anyone interested in heading down

Go Dees.

• Like 1

Could also be the difference between a coach in the last year of his contract vs a coach in his first year...

Then that was Bailey's mistake...

It was my first time at training too. I have to say im off to the optometrist as my eyesight is not good and I had a lot of trouble identifying players. My observations were:

Very difficult conditions today. Very windy and rain/hail toward the end of the session. Skills were very impressive particulary by foot and marking considering the tricky wind conditions. Skills dropped off after the rain, understandably.

J Rawlings was a strong presence more so than the other coaches (from the Swan Street end)

Rehab group doing laps or sprints, Tappy, Trengrove, Williams, (all doing laps at a good pace), Lawrence (i think) and Jetta (doing sprints toward the end, although the former two participated in the main group too). The Russian was training away from the group at the end but may have participated with the main group?

One drill was 4 mids recieving the ball on the back flank/wing, 4 opposition mids (3 front on, 1 from behind) pressing. The ball recieving mids were to run hanballing to team mates or run thru beating the press then kicking long to the KP forwards. The first 3 attempts were not good, Rawlings called the group together to discuss the bad attempts and afterwards the ball moved nicely thru the press. Most nearly all kicks into the forward line were to advantage.

I have read in previous yrs the skill level was not great. This was not the case. Kicking thru the wind, reading the ball thru the air to mark was spot on, although there was not a lot of defensive pressure in most drills

Watts was a stand out. As previously said, bigger and he looks like a KPF. He moves gracefully and his skills standout. I wasnt keeping an eye on him but kept looking as his class/skills stood out. He had a presence out their too, eye catching!

As a whole the body shape of the players is bigger. Blease has built up considerably, Trengove has continued to build, Tappy is massive in his upper body but his legs look they need building (maybe coz his so big up top). Williams is a big unit. To me on game day Beamer always stands out with his body size but not today. Although he is a big unit in comparison but not such a stand out in size. Bate has fined down overall in size and looks like a midfielder

I couldnt help but think they were like race horses, big but finely trim althletes.

I was nicely surprised to see Sellar control the ball below his knees. He seemed very comfortable in this area

The session wasn't gut wrenching and Collingwood were on Gosch's paddock next oval over and were still training after I left and the dees had finished.

If I can think of anything to note I'll post later.

Watts was a stand out. As previously said, bigger and he looks like a KPF. He moves gracefully and his skills standout. I wasnt keeping an eye on him but kept looking as his class/skills stood out. He had a presence out their too, eye catching!

I love the sound of this ^

Rehab group doing laps or sprints, tappy, trengrove, williams, (all doing laps at a good pace) jonstone and jetta (doing sprints toward the end, although the former two participated in the main group too). The russion was training away from the group at the end but may have participated with the main group??

Sorry - who?

The only blokes I can think of...

Travis Johnstone

Chris Johnson

Paul Johnson

Cam Johnstone

All gone now.

Sure it wasn't McKenzie? (ranga looking like Cam Johntsone?)

Sorry - who?

Travis Johnstone

Chris Johnson

Paul Johnson

Cam Johnstone

All gone now.

Lutz

You seem to me to be an angry person who likes to attack ppl and personalise things. I will correct my mistake.

• Like 3

Sorry - who?

Travis Johnstone

Chris Johnson

Paul Johnson

Cam Johnstone

All gone now.

I'm not usually a nitpicker but for you, I'll make an exception.

We never had a Cam Johnstone.

Sure it wasn't Cameron Johnston you were thinking of?

• Like 1