Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sideshow Bob

Solid win from the stars.

But they look much weaker now Tiffitt (sp?) comes in at 6 and having to play 5 bowlers. They need another all rounder - Stoinos - to bolster the batting and then need to hope Hastings, Bird and Beer in particular continue their good form and that they can find the 4th and 5th bowlers from either McKay or Boland and an all rounder. KP trotting out some overs tonight was a smart move.

Good to see Cam White in a little bit more like something resembling form before that horrible decision. The openers have not being playing well. KP is now the star batsman. Although Handscombe and Quiney are decent replacements and as I said they just need that one more all rounder.

Yeah I think Stoinis is still some time off sadly.

Keath should come in for Boland and bat at 7, just to bolster the batting. But although they've done well to turn things around the Stras I can't see them going any further then the semi's.

Love:

Ponting - wow Ch9 stuffed up not getting him

Flintoff - what a lad!

Mel McLaughlin- yep

Like:

Gilly - great bloke

KP - just for someone interesting

50/50:

Mark Waugh - plays the grumpy old man sometimes, but generally knows his stuff

Howie - bit of excitement, fair bit of knowledge, works well with the ex-cricketers

Nope:

Andy Maher - dead set moron

Damien Fleming - giant nose, small brain. Had enough of the avenue of apprehension and all it's synonyms. Carries on non stop

Got it correct there GRR. Especially Mel McLaughlin, love, love, love!

Although you're wrong on Flemo IMO, most entertaining one there.

Yeah I think Stoinis is still some time off sadly.

Keath should come in for Boland and bat at 7, just to bolster the batting. But although they've done well to turn things around the Stras I can't see them going any further then the semi's.

Got it correct there GRR. Especially Mel McLaughlin, love, love, love!

Although you're wrong on Flemo IMO, most entertaining one there.

I don't think they trust Keath. Better to have a strong 5 bowlers and hope you don't have to chase a big total than have 4 bowlers and gift the team 4 overs for 40 runs is probably the theory. That said Hastings isn't the worst number 7 and Boland not the worst number 8 either. Adelaide and Perth don't bat deep either and are leading the ladder. It seems it's a bit like baseball in that good pitching will beat superstar batting, but also like baseball you need consistent hitting from your top bats even if it's not flashy. Graft to 150-160 and bowl well seems to be the model to win most games.

I thought the Thunder were really weak last night with how slowly they went at 3 down. Ok 3 for 9 is a big whole. But you rarely win by then going slowly and trying to set 110. The bowlers can block it for 4 and over. So hit out or get out and try to resurrect the innings and make 140.

Another sensational finish at the 'G from the Stars, and a brilliant innings from Hanscomb to win them the game (and bring up his ton) when they looked gone for all money.

Marsh batted well too.

Remarkable victory really.

When they were 3/28 at the start of the 6th over I thought they were gone and never even thought they were the slightest chance until there were about 6 overs to go and I realised they still hadn't let the run rate blow out.

Hastings then went bang and McKay got some valuable runs allowing poor Handscomb to catch his breath. The poor guy looked like Dean Jones in Madrass 1985!

A great effort from the Stars and tat now makes in 5 in a row! Funny though, I'd actually rather then finish 4th and play Adelaide then 3rd and play Perth. But I guess we'll find out after we see how much Sydney Sixers win by tonight to see who finishes where.

Edited by Tall Defence

Remarkable victory really.

When they were 3/28 at the start of the 6th over I thought they were gone and never even thought they were the slightest chance until there were about 6 overs to go and I realised they still hadn't let the run rate blow out.

Hastings then went bang and McKay got some valuable runs allowing poor Handscomb to catch his breath. The poor guy looked like Dean Jones in Madrass 1985!

A great effort from the Stars and tat now makes in 5 in a row! Funny though, I'd actually rather then finish 4th and play Adelaide then 3rd and play Perth. But I guess we'll find out after we see how much Sydney Sixers win by tonight to see who finishes where.

Nobody could have looked worse than Jones in 85.

Such is the nature of this sport that the Adelaide side have failed miserably at the worst possible time. I believe both finalists in the big bash qualify for the riches of the champions league so they've missed out big time.

Meanwhile, the sixers just got a nice healthy bonus to the coffers.

Some serious questions need to be asked of the Stars after their 4th straight semi finals loss!

1) Should Cameron White stay captain?

2) Luke Wright had an ordinary season. Is it time to look for another overseas player?

3) Should we keep Faulkner & Maxwell on the list given they're always likely to miss the back end of the seasons due to ODI commitments?

4) Is it time to move on players like David Hussey, Clint McKay, Rob Quiney?

I think the Stars has some excuses this year unlike last year. Apart from Maxwell & Faulkner who are in the ODI squad, we've also been without Hussey since the 4th game, Stoinis all season who would have been a vital cog IMO with his batting and medium pacers and we only got Handscomb available from our 7th game. Still it's a let down though.

Some serious questions need to be asked of the Stars after their 4th straight semi finals loss!

1) Should Cameron White stay captain?

2) Luke Wright had an ordinary season. Is it time to look for another overseas player?

3) Should we keep Faulkner & Maxwell on the list given they're always likely to miss the back end of the seasons due to ODI commitments?

4) Is it time to move on players like David Hussey, Clint McKay, Rob Quiney?

I think the Stars has some excuses this year unlike last year. Apart from Maxwell & Faulkner who are in the ODI squad, we've also been without Hussey since the 4th game, Stoinis all season who would have been a vital cog IMO with his batting and medium pacers and we only got Handscomb available from our 7th game. Still it's a let down though.

1) Yes. He's had a poor season but such is the nature of t20. No qualms on his leadership and his a solid tactician.

2) Yes. The big bash stepped up a long way. He isn't a regular international and we have one batting international already. Spend the spot on an elite bowler if possible

3) Who knows. I don't know how the salary cap situation works with guys likely to play ODI's. As long as you know what you're getting I'd still be keen to keep them.

4) Probably not. Particularly Quiney and Huss, they are solid veterans who likely don't break the bank. David Hussey can be the finisher, rebuilder and bowl handy overs, they missed him tonight. Quiney is probably a depth batter I'd suggest. Had he won them the game in Brisbane that he nearly did with tremendous finishing I think we'd have hosted the semi and likely won it. McKay seems to have lost a yard of pace and deception with his stock ball that never looked great but was very effective. But his slower balls worked well tonight.

Really I'd get an elite bowler in to go with Hastings/Bird/Beer so that you've got 4 very good bowlers who all offer something different. Then I'd have more competition for the 4th bowling option and all rounders. It would leave you skinny with batting but I'd expect White, Stoinis, Handscomb, Hussey and Quiney to offer more next year with uninterrupted campaigns.

Next years line up:

White

Stoinis

Pietersen

Hussey

Maxwell/Quiney

Handscomb

Falkner/Boland/McKay/extra batsmen/Triffit keeping depending on circumstances

Hastings

International bowler

Bird

Beer

Edited by Georgiou R.R. Martin

• 1 month later...

Just heard Cam White signed up with the renegades for 3 years after not being offered a new contract with the Stars.

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed by this, been a big White fan since his early days with the bushrangers. Hope the Stars have a big signing coming up.

Who is likely to be named captian? KP?

• 3 years later...

When are the Stars going to sack Fleming? Last year on the bottom this year likely to be on the bottom with as tease of a captain and a team of spuds. Why is Gulbis in the side doesn't bat doesn't bowl? Joke of a decision to play him.

Doesn't Maguire have something to do with the Stars? If the pies were going like the Stars there would be changes galore. Something must be done the Stars can't keep on going like this.

Well done Stars on winning your first game maybe we will finish second last instead of last. We look a lot better with Handscomb in the side. We just need Maddinson to take the place of Gulbis and then we may start to go places.

Two in a row haven't things changed quickly, we may make the finals when the sixers are second it shows how poor the competition is. Congrats to Stoines for getting us over the line.

Go the mighty Stars. I may have gone too early in sacking Fleming I hope all is forgiven. 3 in a row I didn't see that happening, the test will be when Maxwell, Stoinis and Zampa go off to one day duty.

A waste of time one dayers it's been taken over by 20\20, one dayers should be scrapped free to air doesn't even want it.

Scrap the one dayers now it's going to cost us a finals spot. How do we have a chance without Handscomb, Maxwell, Stoinis and Zampa . At least Dunk finally made some runs that's something. Larkin was played too late he's in form with the bat he should be ahead of Bravo, Merlo and Plunkett who aren't in form with the bat.

41 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Scrap the one dayers now it's going to cost us a finals spot. How do we have a chance without Handscomb, Maxwell, Stoinis and Zampa . At least Dunk finally made some runs that's something. Larkin was played too late he's in form with the bat he should be ahead of Bravo, Merlo and Plunkett who aren't in form with the bat.

CA receive upwards of $7Million from the BCCI for each one of the ODI's that we play against India.  The ODI's aren't going anywhere.  There is too much money at stake and it is always about the money.  

But I don't see why the players can't play in the Big Bash and the ODI's.  Major League baseball players play a 162 game season with very few days off.  They call it the 'Grind' over there but they all seem to manage ok.  By contrast, a player playing in the ODI's,  International t20's and the Big Bash would be playing 25 games max.  No comparison really is it?

• Like 1

Bumper crowd again in Adelaide tonight - the Stars could be chasing a few. 

Here's the table before tonight's game.  Keep in mind the BBL is now a 14 game season.  Michael Hussey reckons that 7 wins with a healthy net run rate could secure a finals berth. 

image.png.fdcebeafd18d85e339f338473530afe1.png

Well we are out of the 4 now due to the one dayers, fortunately it's a 14 game season and may not hurt us in the end. I've found a worse captain than Paine and that's Maddinson SPUD.

We  are useless really miss the big 3 in Handscomb, Maxwell and Stonis. Dunk is pathetic, Maddinson and Gulbis not much better and Bowe is a joke how he is a cricketer is beyond me?

• 2 weeks later...

Great innings by Dunk after I bagged him. Stoinis and Handscomb in form too. Bird makes a difference to the bowling very economical. We are on track to finish top 2 GO STARS!

BEST STARS TEAM

DUNK

STOINIS

HANDSCOMB

MAXWELL

MADDISON

BRAVO

GULBIS

PLUNKETT

ZAMPA

BIRD

BOLAND

Got out of jail there. Batted poorly but were able to defend it. I thought O'Connell cost us the game when he dropped that catch, but it didn't. GO STARS! Still on track for top 2.

Edited by WERRIDEE

• 2 weeks later...

Stoinis on fire must be close to a test call up. Too bad the rest of the side is [censored]! Maddinson is an absolute spud how he was ever in the Australian team has me beat, another flop signing to go with Dunk. Gotch and Worrell not up to it, Zampa overrated very ordinary bowler.

If we don't beat the 6's heads must roll starting with Fleming. NOT GOOD ENOUGH STARS!

Well done Stars especially Maxwell with a captains knock. You made the finals no heads will roll now you have done the minimum. Don't like our chances against the Hurricanes though they have the championship in the bag. The Renegades and Sixers are no good.

We are in the grand final YOU BEAUTY! Worrell's timing to play a blinder was great, Gotch played his best game for the club and Maxwell gave another great captain's knock.

C'mon Stars you can do it one more to go? 

Last week you said that Seb Gotch and Dan Worrall weren’t up to it!  (despite Worrall being possibly the best swing bowler in the country). All of a sudden they are legends. You also canned Zampa who is a walk up start for the World Cup squad.

You’re a great judge mate!  Thankfully you are not a cricket selector.