Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What was the first VFL/AFL Melbourne game you attended?

Wilson7

Not sure who we played against, but I can remember the old Southern Stand was there...so it must have been around 89 or 90. I would have been knee high. Really wish I was old enough to remember the sides of 87/88...but would hate to think how I would have handled it when Jim ran across the mark!

My earliest memory that I can confirm the exact date, was June 1965

Melb V St.kilda at the G

My old man took me, he barracked for Sth.Melb

So I considered myself lucky to see a live game

I had hopes of a win, we doing ok, just before 1/2 time , Cooper took a hanger in the center

over Bromell I think it was, from that moment on it was all over, we got belted.

It got even worse, it if wasnt bad enough Barassi jumping ship, Smith getting sacked

I used to go to the G when 10yrs old, and sit thru the whole game, watching us getting flogged.

I recall another game that may have been before this, Melb V Hawthorn ,,, Anzac day but cant recall the year.

I remember those old banners, hanging / tied to the stands ie devestating demons etc etc

I had too alter my jumper from 31, so the 3 went I used the 1 to make 16.

If you thought $cullduggery is bad, RDB was worse. (for me)

Add the Smith saga, I am surprised I'm still here to reflect back.

to add salt to my wounds, we were about to play in school GF , going back to back

and who gets invited to give a pep talk to us , 2 nights before the weekend Gabby Jeans

The same one, that ended any hope back in June, that really sent us in a downwood spiral.

I cant recall a word he said lol I think I switched off,, the enemy!!

Oh cruel world give me some hope, I have suffered enough

My first game was Round 9, 1994 against the Swans (I had to look up what Round it was). I went with some friends from school and their parents (as no-one I knew followed Melbourne and went to the footy).

I'm pretty sure that this was Brereton's first game for the Swans and we just lost! I don't remember much else... except the MCG seemed so massive!

My parents told me my first game was Round 19 1947 against StKilda, Fred Fanning kicked 18, I was a month old, didnt see much stuck in a pram all day. My parents went to every match every year, my first recognition of an oposition team is Footscray dont know where dont know when, I have some old footy records from the early 50's which I used to collect after the games so maybe around then.

In '94 against Essendon. My dad’s MCC membership had just come through, after he had turned it down some 20 years earlier while living in England.

I remember walking into the ground and seeing Dad getting abused by some disgruntled Essendon supporter on his way out. We took our seats way back in the stands, watched for about 10 minutes and the siren sounded. Dees won.

Edited by wisedog

I've given some thought to my first time at the footy. TBH I can't remember it. I think it may have been a Melbourne v Footscray game at Waverley around 1980/81, but I'm not entirely sure if it was the first, it may have been. I was fortunate enough to get into the Melbourne changerooms and get a photo taken with Robbie Flower with a towel around him, having just returned from the showers.

The earliest game I can recall as a 8 year old that stood out for me was Rd 21 Melbourne v Hawthorn in 1982. Hawthorn were on the way up (won '83 flag) and they were well in front of Melbourne going into the last quarter. Melbourne piled on a heap of goals in the last to get within a couple of points. And I distinctly recall Leigh Matthews bringing himself into the backline late in red time to steady the ship. I think the Hawks ended up winning by about 8. I looked up You Tube and found this 5 minute grab of the last quarter come back. It was exciting for a kid back then (remembering the Demons won the wooden spoon in '81. Have a look :

Edited by H_T
Addition

Living in WA from a young age obviously doesnt offer quite as many chances to see the dees as i would like.

1st game i remember seeing was when i was 12. Round 14 1998 at Subi against the Eagles who were in much better form than us. We ended up beateing them. Robbo kicked 4, Yze played probably his best game at that point, and Viney carved too.

Another game i have memories of seeing live was round 5, 2000 against Freo at the WACA. Pavlich played his 1st game that day & Modra was playing for the dockers. Afetr trailing at half time the guy came out and ended up beating them comfortably.

• Like 1

I started to barrack for the Dees in 1948.

The first game I saw was against the eagles at Subiaco in May 2009.

Didn't see much as was stuck with the cheer squad behind the goals closer to the city about 5 rows back. We got beaten.

Haven't had a chance to see my second game yet but it will happen.

Edited by skills32

I started to barrack for the Dees in 1948.

The first game I saw was against the eagles at Subiaco in May 2009.

Didn't see much as was stuck with the cheer squad behind the goals closer to the city about 5 rows back. We got beaten.

Haven't had a chance to see my second game yet but it will happen.

I hope you don't have to wait as long to see your second game as you did your first.

• Like 1

First game was the '87 Elimination Final. A ripper to start with. My parents were very casual Demon supporters and living out in the Dandenongs were not interested in

attending. Despite their apathy I was very much a Demon.

A family friend that bleeds red & blue FINALLY took me as a 10 yr old, after the Dees astonishing run to the finals had everyone in footy talking. I remember that time very very fondly indeed.

This was my first game also as an 8 year old Robbie flowers last game to I believe, my fondest memory of the game was walking past strawbs o'dwyer (if thats how u spell it) he was the tallest man I had ever seen. Dad got organized tickets through a few mates and ended up with 8 tickets for the 2 of us great day and great memories been mad melbourne since that day

vs Collingwood in the '89 finals. Family friends (all Pies fans) took me presumably for mockery purposes. Backfired.

Excellent Game out at Waverley...Brian 7 Wilson had a superb 3rd. Quarter with Darren Bennett finishing off in the 4th. as i recall...

Edited by why you little

Great thread!

First game I can remember attending was when i was 6 years old, it was Round 1, 1988 we played Richmond at the 'G and trounced them and "TC" Tony Campbell kicked 8 goals from memory. I don't remember much from the game except walking around the back of the old Southern Stand just before the final siren. Was pretty happy we won.

However I am sure I attended some games in 1987 I just can't remember them. What I do remember though is my dad and I sitting at home listening to the radio and watching the replay in Round 22, 1987 - we couldn't go to the game because it was my sisters 3rd birthday that day so we had to sit at home and miss one of the best moments in recent MFC history! I don't remember attending the finals the two weeks after but I do remember being at the Royal Melbourne Show on Prelim Final day 1987 and Melbourne and Hawthorn posters/banners up everywhere. My cousin barracked for Hawthorn at the time (for a brief period from 1986 to about 1989 - he is now and was before that a Richmond supporter) so was giving me stick when we asked someone who won and they told us the Hawks after we had gotten updates from people all day saying Melbourne were winning.

Although I attended almost every week in 1988 I don't have any clear memories of other games until Round 22, 1988 when we beat the Blues to secure a finals spot, and then the Semi-Final against the Pies and the Prelim against the Blues (I didn't attend the WCE Elimination Final as was at a friends birthday). I do remember listening to us beat the Cats at the Cattery on the radio in my bedroom, pretty sure dad went that day but I was left at home.

I also remember being up at 6am on GF Day 1988 watching the footy marathon all ready to go and watch the Demons play in the Grand Final and then realising that my dad hadn't been able to get a ticket for me only for himself and my uncle. I guess it was a blessing in the end as I was able to switch off the TV at half time and go and kick the footy around the backyard but I had to cop it from my cousin again who came around at half time to rub salt in to the wound.

1988 Melbourne vs West Coast MCG. We sat slightly to the Punt Road End of the wing in the old Southern Stand. The colour score board was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen, so I distinctly remember we won 93 to 73. I remember absolutely nothing of the game.

I had a massive boy crush on Garry Lyon from 1989 onwards.

First semi final 1988 vs Collingwood...... I was over from Tassie staying with a mate in the school holiday's, as we headed towards the G my mates Auntie asked me if was my first final ? I replied it's my first game ! we parked the car in the city somewhere & walked through the parks on the way to the ground. as we got closer this 13yo boy from suburban Hobart couldn't believe the amount of people that were around the ground let alone the 87,000 people in side the G. most of it was a blur but I know I walked away knowing that this was the place to be & I get there when ever I can....... ahh the life of a tortured interstate Dees fan !!!

• Like 1

My earliest memory that I can confirm the exact date, was June 1965

Melb V St.kilda at the G

My old man took me, he barracked for Sth.Melb

So I considered myself lucky to see a live game

I had hopes of a win, we doing ok, just before 1/2 time , Cooper took a hanger in the center

over Bromell I think it was, from that moment on it was all over, we got belted.

It got even worse, it if wasnt bad enough Barassi jumping ship, Smith getting sacked

I used to go to the G when 10yrs old, and sit thru the whole game, watching us getting flogged.

I recall another game that may have been before this, Melb V Hawthorn ,,, Anzac day but cant recall the year.

I remember those old banners, hanging / tied to the stands ie devestating demons etc etc

I had too alter my jumper from 31, so the 3 went I used the 1 to make 16.

If you thought $cullduggery is bad, RDB was worse. (for me)

Add the Smith saga, I am surprised I'm still here to reflect back.

to add salt to my wounds, we were about to play in school GF , going back to back

and who gets invited to give a pep talk to us , 2 nights before the weekend Gabby Jeans

The same one, that ended any hope back in June, that really sent us in a downwood spiral.

I cant recall a word he said lol I think I switched off,, the enemy!!

Oh cruel world give me some hope, I have suffered enough

Exact date was Queens Birthday 14 June 1965 and it was the day that marked the end of an era for Melbourne.

Cooper's mark was easily the best I've seen.

Exact date was Queens Birthday 14 June 1965 and it was the day that marked the end of an era for Melbourne.

You are correct, I looked it up earlier today.

As it turns out, that wasnt my 1st Game I watched Melb, play.

The Melb V Hawthorn ANZAC Day 1963. was my 1st. Cant recall a thing about it, apart from the old man taking

"happy snaps", during the game. The colours of the jumper and the MCG had me starstruck.

Cooper's mark was easily the best I've seen.

lol, glad you thought so , was it just before 1/2 time or early in the 3rd qtr?, I think we were kicking to the punt Rd end.

Ian Cooper, stood on No12;s shoulders, all I could think about was. how dare he do that!

Any chance we had of winning that day, got snuffed out after that grab,cant recall much else about that match

I can still see him,climbing all over Bromells' shoulders.

Now its very hazy, but might have been taken from the fullback kicking in, after we scroed a point.

Go close to being the best one "live" I have seen, (now theres a topic for a new thread) : )

Wonder if there is a pic of that mark somewhere, love to compare to how my memory

remembers it.

3 - 4 hour drive with my father in the early 60's. Accross the ferry at Williamstown. Standing room at the Lake Oval against South Melbourne.

Melbourne were unbeatable in those days except the Swans won.

Can still remember a huge crowd (probably about 15,000)

For some reason Graham Wise and John Lord became my favourite players. (Perhaps Lord in anticipation of my current haircut.)