Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Eade as next Melbourne coach?

mrtwister

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, grab him now. Proven coach, still with the fires burning I reckon. No chance of convincing a very vocal bunch of demonlanders though, cos he hasn't coached to a flag.

i would not be upset if we got him he has coached for 14 years at the highest level, he may not have won a flag but to coach for that long you must be doing something right.

if eade had of got barry hall a year earlier than he did the dogs would have played in a grand final at the very least

if eade

More window dressing

If Eade could coach to win a grand final we'd know by now.

the only place he could fit is in Connolly's job.

No more mediocrity every body say it with me

No more mediocrity

there wasn't hard to set a standard.

Edited by Diablo Deemon

Guest The Tweed Pig

My initial instinct is to dismiss Eade and I've stated as much already, but Darcy's article is insightful and provides some compelling arguments. One shouldn't dismiss a former players first hand experience, especially one of Darcy's standing. It's much more powerful than the footy plebs with an opinion on here - me included.

He has to be in the mix.

Edited by The Tweed Pig

No!

The best fit for Eade at this point, unless other jobs come up is South Australia. One of the Jobs there.

He's not the Coach we need .

Eade is somewhere 'in between', a 'Development' coach and a 'Finisher'. He'd be good for Port for 5 years to rebuild to a high level, then hand over.

We need a rugged Coach who'll take the Club and the List in hand and command a hard edged Change of Culture.

The Best Cultural change for us would be Matthews.

If not him, Roos would be able to tie the Culture together and win over the establishmment.

After these 2, the next best would be Clarkson, who'd bring a tough 'take no prisoners' attitude with some much needed Hardness. He's both a capable teacher and Finals Coach.

Next would be Malthouse who also can teach and Finish, but has an aire of Sleaze & Smugness (Sheedyism without the Humour)) that we can do without. Lacks the Manhood Composure & tries to carry it off with his abrupt arrogance.

Then Of the Untried Coaches I'd like Sanderson.

After these,,, I would be OK for a 1 Yr option, Gary Lyon taking the reigns to get the players Revd Up, prior to a big Name coach to come in.

Edited by dee-luded

He's not the Coach we need .

Eade is somewhere 'in between', a 'Development' coach and a 'Finisher'. He'd be good for Port for 5 years to rebuild to a high level, then hand over.

We need a rugged Coach who'll take the Club and the List in hand and command a hard edged Change of Culture.

The Best Cultural change for us would be Matthews.

If not him, Roos would be able to tie the Culture together and win over the establishmment.

After these 2, the next best would be Clarkson, who'd bring a tough 'take no prisoners' attitude with some much needed Hardness. He's both a capable teacher and Finals Coach.

Next would be Malthouse who also can teach and Finish, but has an aire of Sleaze & Smugness (Sheedyism without the Humour)) that we can do without. Lacks the Manhood Composure & tries to carry it off with his abrupt arrogance.

Then Of the Untried Coaches I'd like Sanderson.

After these,,, I would be OK for a 1 Yr option, Gary Lyon taking the reigns to get the players Revd Up, prior to a big Name coach to come in.

This is laughable. The whole idea of development senior coaches and teaching senior coaches and finishing senior coaches is crap. You are the senior coach, your roll is to develop players individually, to develop the side and finish it off with a flag. If you can't teach the players yourself then you have to negotiate with your football department to make sure you have the right people doing it and that you are overseeing it well.

Matthews is now an old man who isn't up to speed with modern tactics or physical preparation. Roos I agree on, but he's got no desire to do it, same goes for Clarkson. If Malthouse really was so arrogant and smug then he wouldn't have the relationship that he does with his players, nor would he have the best team in the comp. As for Garry Lyon, I couldn't imagine anyone who would rev me up less.

Ross Lyon has never coached a premiership either, but I'd have him any day of the week and I extend that theory that you don't have to win a premiership to be a great coach to Eade. In a lot of ways appointing him would be gutsier than just picking a Sanderson, Neeld or McCartney. You can defend assistant coaches records all day long, Eade's record is there to be knocked down, but I think it's actually pretty good.

Edited by the master

This is laughable. Matthews is now an old man who isn't up to speed with modern tactics or physical preparation. Roos I agree on, but he's got no desire to do it, same goes for Clarkson. If Malthouse really was so arrogant and smug then he wouldn't have the relationship that he does with his players, nor the best team in the comp. As for Garry Lyon, I couldn't imagine anyone who would rev me up less.

Ross Lyon has never coached a premiership either, but I'd have him any day of the week and I extend that theory that you don't have to win a premiership to be a great coach to Eade. In a lot of ways appointing him would be gutsier than just picking a Sanderson, Neeld or McCartney. You can defend assistant coaches records all day long, Eade's record is there to be knocked down, but I think it's actually pretty good.

Matthews is 59 ,as is Malthouse .

5 times better as well.

Eade is a lame option .

Sorry .

Yep, grab him now. Proven coach, still with the fires burning I reckon. No chance of convincing a very vocal bunch of demonlanders though, cos he hasn't coached to a flag.

Zachary .

This is laughable. The whole idea of development senior coaches and teaching senior coaches and finishing senior coaches is crap. You are the senior coach, your roll is to develop players individually, to develop the side and finish it off with a flag. If you can't teach the players yourself then you have to negotiate with your football department to make sure you have the right people doing it and that you are overseeing it well.

Matthews is now an old man who isn't up to speed with modern tactics or physical preparation. Roos I agree on, but he's got no desire to do it, same goes for Clarkson. If Malthouse really was so arrogant and smug then he wouldn't have the relationship that he does with his players, nor would he have the best team in the comp. As for Garry Lyon, I couldn't imagine anyone who would rev me up less.

Let me put it simpler for you, it's like the difference between a secondary school teacher ans a University Lecturer.

One guides kids gently through their learning Processes.

The other teachers young and old graduates, as well as Professionals who've come back to advance their high skills. To the highest levels currently possible.

A major difference.

Would be a VERY bad choice for Melbourne to go down the Rodney Eade line. He's finished.. As I've said on a previous thread I had a mate that played under Rocket and he said he's very hard to communicate to..

Who has he drafted that has for filled his potential?

Cooney - Maybe but his career is nearly finished due to mis management

Farren Ray - Nope

Tom Williams - Nope

Ryan Griffen - Yes although he hasn't improved his kicking

Shaun Higgins - Poor mans Colin Syliva

Anjres Everett - Nope

Jarred Grant - Nope

Acye Cordy, Christan Howard, Mitch Wallis. All to young to tell but the first 2 haven't showed much!

***all first round draft picks***

What will he do with our kids? Seriously...

My point is that he can't develop players. He continually re drafted players where other teams had done the work. He had the most talented list for about 3 years but couldn't teach them how to win important games (sounds like Neal Daniher to me) Teams like St Kilda beat them on the fact that they were technically better.

Edited by Clanger King

Eade is a pretender in the Main coach stakes.

Can coach but Lacks the killer blow, just as he did as a player. He was adequate, but not a Star. Bland. Today he would be a tagger. I don't think you know Eade or even Met him, I have & I've seen him operate when he was young, trying to impose himself in an intimidating way on Michael Young. A real pretense, = pretender...

Ross Lyon, is another Tom Hafey... Bland creativity & over trusting in his personnel. He doesn't swing enough changes to structure. Slow to react where necessary.

# As far as Roos goes, he would be Ideal for 2 Years to Lead our Boys into Manhood and an Honest upstanding culture, IMO he would prefer to be the main man behind the scenes as Coaching Director/Manager. But would be excellent to lead us for 2 Years prior to becoming Manager.

Again, Matthews Is The standout, but would he do it? This is the Only question.

While I think Eade is a good coach he's the wrong fit for us. We need someone up with the current tactics and the Dogs this year showed to be behind the current trends and maybe that's why they could never get past the Prelims.

We must go with a young coach and support him with a good experienced senior assistant

I have never rated the Dogs, they are/were nowhere near a flag,so,they got to the finals, nowhere near a grand final victory!!!

I would be very disappointed if they went for Rodney Eade, 7 years for a mediocre result, been there , done that!!!!!

Clarkson? A big yes

Malthouse ? Ok if they want to, but they would have to have a Magpie like budget to invest into the football department!!

Matthews?--another big yes

Roos?- Why not, just not sure I'd like the game style we'd be watching, but what the hell if he brings us a flag!!

What are Eade's Credentials after 14 years? Close but no Cigar....

He was a great Player but not a great coach...He is a very Good Coach.

We have had these Coaches before. We must Aim Higher.

What are Luke Darcy's credentials BTW....???

Ross Lyon, is another Tom Hafey... Bland creativity & over trusting in his personnel. He doesn't swing enough changes to structure. Slow to react where necessary.

He's led 2 grand finals in time on in the last 2 years. He made changes last year in the grand final that got his team back in a game that was slipping away.

As far as I'm concerned he was the dominant coach from 2009-2010 and after an inevitable drop off this year all of a sudden he can't coach now.

Look at the errors Michael Voss made, look at how Matthew Knights ended up, what exactly are Mark Harvey and Brad Scott doing, they certainly don't seem to be threatening anything. Look at how Dean Bailey ended up.

We are practically in the same situation as West Coast last year, and (as he was contracted) they backed Worsfold (who apparently had no gameplan and the game had gone past) in and will now finish top 4 this year. We didn't back Bailey in, but maybe going for an experienced coach will get us up the ladder in the quickest time. Eade would have learnt a tonne from this year and I'm sure would love to implement it.

He's led 2 grand finals in time on in the last 2 years. He made changes last year in the grand final that got his team back in a game that was slipping away.

As far as I'm concerned he was the dominant coach from 2009-2010 and after an inevitable drop off this year all of a sudden he can't coach now.

Look at the errors Michael Voss made, look at how Matthew Knights ended up, what exactly are Mark Harvey and Brad Scott doing, they certainly don't seem to be threatening anything. Look at how Dean Bailey ended up.

We are practically in the same situation as West Coast last year, and (as he was contracted) they backed Worsfold (who apparently had no gameplan and the game had gone past) in and will now finish top 4 this year. We didn't back Bailey in, but maybe going for an experienced coach will get us up the ladder in the quickest time. Eade would have learnt a tonne from this year and I'm sure would love to implement it.

What he comes out with the Full Forward (Hall), the Tall forward we all new he lacked for so long, after he tried to maintain a purely running type side without much tall timber..

He had failed, & then miraculously Hall falls into his lap by virtue of being thrown out of Sydney, at the same time that the Hawks (the heirs apparent), & the Cats fall off, giving the next level teams a shot at a cheap one.

The Saints can't win without tripping themselves up. And Collingwood appear when the power sides are aging or injured or are total misfits (saints)...

This current Pies side is stronger now, but would still only just match the Lions or the Cats prime teams, and the Hawks have the grunt & forward class & presence to be Elite but again have been struck down by Injuries primarily to their Key defenders (most Importantly), Rucks, and now Roughead as well.

So no ! I don't particularly rate Eade above being just a teaching coach, and Malthouse is not a Super Coach. Very sound one, but not the absolute top.

The best, Smith, Barassi, Hughes, Kennedy, Jeans, Matthews, Sheedy.

Then Roos, Wooshers, Malthouses, etc.

Having Eade, wouldnt be the end of the world.

He did get the most out of the Dogs, getting them to a couple of prelim finals.

Speacially in a year, where injuries killed their run, from memory.

Besides they ran into some great sides in Geelong and Collingwood, not to mention Saints.

Plus they lacked a key forward, thus why they recruited Barry Hall, but it was too late, as there real stars

were retiring, eg Johnson, West and co.

So for me they were very close.

Where were we at the time, ah yeah down the bottom.

What he comes out with the Full Forward (Hall), the Tall forward we all new he lacked for so long, after he tried to maintain a purely running type side without much tall timber..

He had failed, & then miraculously Hall falls into his lap by virtue of being thrown out of Sydney, at the same time that the Hawks (the heirs apparent), & the Cats fall off, giving the next level teams a shot at a cheap one.

The Saints can't win without tripping themselves up. And Collingwood appear when the power sides are aging or injured or are total misfits (saints)...

This current Pies side is stronger now, but would still only just match the Lions or the Cats prime teams, and the Hawks have the grunt & forward class & presence to be Elite but again have been struck down by Injuries primarily to their Key defenders (most Importantly), Rucks, and now Roughead as well.

So no ! I don't particularly rate Eade above being just a teaching coach, and Malthouse is not a Super Coach. Very sound one, but not the absolute top.

The best, Smith, Barassi, Hughes, Kennedy, Jeans, Matthews, Sheedy.

Then Roos, Wooshers, Malthouses, etc.

Malthouse has 3 flags and on the verge of his 4th, so i think he wins this year and will be along side Sheedy and co.