Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Baileys tactics for this week.

After last week Dean Bailey said we have to go back to basics. I wonder what this means to how we are going to approach the game on Sunday. Is he going to make everyone accountable and play man on man? GS played this way against PA for the most part and achieved a stunning victory. Or is he going to continue to plug away with the same old game plan or try something new? And what will be the consequences if the players front up with the same pathetic attitude of the past few weeks?

The in and outs for this week don't impress me much. It seems to be always the same usual suspects that get rotated after a bad loss. No real statement here.

I'm guessing not much in terms of ghame style will change, as it is difficult to change in a couple of training seesions.

Application would make the gameplan look better, whether it is obsolete or not...

And competition for places is always good, even if it is between the players at the margins...

Guest 36DD

I'm guessing not much in terms of ghame style will change, as it is difficult to change in a couple of training seesions.

Application would make the gameplan look better, whether it is obsolete or not...

And competition for places is always good, even if it is between the players at the margins...

I think there will be no change to gameplan, the back to basics I assume he is referring to is tackling, pressuring the opposition, running hard when we have the ball, running even harder when we dont.

well if they don't change (alter, modify) the gameplan then the Crows will slaughter them

look what happened to Aints in first half vs Crows last week when they played loose and zoned off

A most important part is the midfield must make more of a contest of it to avoid easy entry into the Crows fwd line. If that means playing a more negative role or man-on-man then so be it

Having one rigid game plan for all teams and all situations is plain suicide with our current cattle and development

(don't tell me they are young and can't cope with multiple or sophisticated game plans either, time to stop mollycoddling)

Expect intensity, pressure on the opposition, tackling etc etc etc. We know they will do all this tomorrow. They might even do it again next week. But mark my words we will be talking about more insipid performance before the year is out.

...given they struggle to commit to implementing one game plan. :unsure:

clever point......but what if the one game plan is inappropriate or just poor given where the game is at now?

we could go around in circles on this for ever. What I don't like is the lack of versatility in the game plan to adapt to changing conditions and opponents. Its not really rocket science.

clever point......but what if the one game plan is inappropriate or just poor given where the game is at now?

we could go around in circles on this for ever. What I don't like is the lack of versatility in the game plan to adapt to changing conditions and opponents. Its not really rocket science.

My take..is that many people are just getting this plain wrong. You surely cant atempt a one size fits all attitude toward how you play footy.. You must surely endeavor to develop 'elements" of game styles which you link together according to the opposition and flow of the game on the day. Having saif that a particular strategy does appear this half back led springing attack. If he ( DB) is concentrating onthis then hes barking up the wrong tree with current cattle. By all means attempt to develop it as an 'element" but not the whole kit and kaboodle !

I agree DC versatility is the key and that required having mastered many of the games basics,... some of which we do abysmally

If we start the game with the same game plan I will be disappointed. The way we play surrenders initiative and momentum when the opposition is at its freshest from the very first bounce. Kind of a "Rope a Dope" style of play. Our game kicks up a notch when the other side tires a little or drop off intensity. GCS even got the jump on us. Everyone knows what we are going to do. Thats why we are slow starters and mostly playing catch up footy. If Adelaide comes to play hard we are going to be on the back foot just like against WC.

People talk about intensity, application and commitment. Less than 100% of this is non negotiable for us this week. But if the other side comes fired up and allowed to make the positive plays it may not be enough.

What I want to see is us to gain the initiative straight away. We have to win centre clearances, man up and win contests to ensure we can grab it early. If we get a break on them then switch back to the rebounding game. Not to wait until they get 5 goals up and slacken off to start going forward.

Edited by america de cali

I'm with Rpfc and Rhino here. Can't change too much in a week and the boys have struggled with a pretty basic game plan so far it would seem.

Things i expect a (wanna be) top side to do as a bare minimum week in and week out >>> Agro, intensity, numbers at the ball and a willingness to bleed for each other at every contest up to the final siren.

Anything less (over 2 - 3 weeks opportunities) from individuals and we replace (without kicking out the whole core senior team in one hit of course) for any half decent youngster on the list who shows they're willing/skillful and has a half decent football bod (eg., Tappy types)

I think he should go back up in the coaches box and actually see what's happening.

I don't think that who ever is making the moves or relaying it is actually working and I think an assistant can give the players some feedback on the bench.

I reckon his game plan was to win by 100 points.

But seeing as though the game plan failed, he should be sacked ASAP and Garry Lyon should replace him as coach.

Edited by Oxxx

The game resembled our footy o last year. We still did the reload off half back and run and carry it up but like last year, we ran it up through the guys rather than wide around the wing. We haven't really done that this year, we have stayed wide. Our skills were better today - less fumbles than the last couple of weeks. We ran harder for our teammates i.e. leading, when up the ground or off half back.

Our forward pressure was much better than previous weeks - we really tackled and did our best to keep the ball in. I think we pushed up the groud to keep it in more than we have in previous weeks - this is a definite tweek compared with last season.

We also played our short/mobile forwards deep (Petterd, Wonna, even Dunn) and our taller forwards further up the ground (Watts, Bate). I believe this was done to keep Johncock deep in defense and run Rutten around up the field. It worked successfully.

a couple of times, I saw Watts in defense (not just running around, waving his arms around) but looked as if he was following his man down there. He looked really good coming though the centre on a couple of occasions.

Are we sacking Bailey this week?

The reason why we won this week was nothing to do with Dean Bailey. Obviously it was because "the players played well".

The next time that we lose it will have nothing to do with the playing group and will be all the coach's fault.

There was a definite difference in the way we played today. Some of it was skills, some of it was intensity, some of it was game plan (i.e. going up the guts). A lot of it is due to the players - Bailey can't make them kick goals or hold marks. But what is up to Bailey is motivating them to turn up and tackle and be aggressive as well as making sure they are following team plans w/ respect to tackling, pressure, game plan (i.e. up the guts).

Currently the players have two states - up or down. We saw today the game plan works against an average side. We saw last year that the game plan works against good sides. We now need to get the game plan to work every week, and for the players to get up every week. Form and confidence in a young group must be very hard to control, especially compared with older, wiser teams with more self belief (i.e Geelong players expect to win, they've been doing it for years. When we get off to a bad start we don't have the same expectation).

If Bailey can't get the team to perform at that intensity every week there is one of two things wrong - the players aren't up to it, or the coaching isn't up to it.

As outsiders, we can't tell which that is.

Biggest difference was we played a forward press for once. it was great - so much pressure on their defense! Please Bailey (and I'm sure you read this site) do not change this! Who cares if we're copying everyone else - if we can continue with this forward defensive pressure then we will make a lot of other teams turn the ball over. Seems we did learn something from west coast eh.

One could be tempted to observe that after last week's dismal dismal performance ( can't help thinking we don't do well in the face of hostile crowds away from the MCG) Bailey analysed things correctly and his remedy worked.

Well done Bailey !!

On the other hand I have unpleasant memories of North running us ragged at Etihad - they seem to lift a notch against us.

A challenge to learn from the past if we can?

The reason why we won this week was nothing to do with Dean Bailey. Obviously it was because "the players played well".

The next time that we lose it will have nothing to do with the playing group and will be all the coach's fault.

L

O

L