Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Major League Baseball

45HG

Mind-explosion.

"If, for the first time in history, there is a three-way tie for playoff spots, the first tiebreaker would be played between the Indians and Rays in Cleveland at 4:07 p.m. on Monday, with the winner of that game earning a Wild Card berth. The loser would play against the host Rangers at 4:07 p.m. on Tuesday. All games will air on TBS.

The Rays hold a 4-2 edge over the Indians, who hold a 5-1 advantage over Texas.

The winner of the second tiebreaker would advance to the AL Wild Card game, which will take place on Wednesday.

If the Indians and Rangers end up tied atop the Wild Card standings, the Indians will host the Wild Card Game. If the Indians and Rays are tied for the top two Wild Card spots, the Rays will be the home team."

• Like 1

Cleveland win the right to host the wild-card playoff game against ... the Rays or the Rangers (who play off against each other tomorrow in Texas)

All the playoff games are being broadcast on ESPN radio whilst cable will cover a number of games.

Here's the basic line-up of match-ups ...

NL Wild Card ... Reds @ Pirates (Wed our time)

AL Wild Card ... TBD @ Indians (Thurs our time)

NLDS ... Reds/Pirates @ Cardinals (starts Friday our time)

NLDS ... Dodgers @ Braves (starts Friday our time)

ALDS ... Rays/Rangers/Indians @ Red Sox (starts Saturday our time)

ALDS ... Tigers @ Athletics (starts Saturday our time)

• 4 months later...

I see the LA Dodgers and Arizona are opening their season in a month with two games at the SCG. I find it peculiar that they didn't take the one-hour flight to Melbourne for the second game. You'd get 100,000 and exposure to both the country's biggest cities. Slack. The MLB is the only one of the four major US sports I don't follow, but I'd have gone for sure if it was on here.

• 1 month later...

"Two years ago, Yasiel Puig fled Cuba in the hands of black-market smugglers. This is the story of how the cost of the defection journey - in money and human lives - shadows him still."

... No one walks off the island

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah GTG, Toronto are doing well (15 wins from 17 games in actuality) I haven't taken a lot of interest in the baseball other than noting that as your blokes were on a winning streak, my Red Sox were on a losing streak (10) We've now recovered to win our last 5 but I wonder if the hunger is there.

Our division is always a tough one to win but the Yankees aren't doing a great deal either. Might be your best chance if New York and Boston don't get a move on.

Yeah GTG, Toronto are doing well (15 wins from 17 games in actuality) I haven't taken a lot of interest in the baseball other than noting that as your blokes were on a winning streak, my Red Sox were on a losing streak (10) We've now recovered to win our last 5 but I wonder if the hunger is there.

Our division is always a tough one to win but the Yankees aren't doing a great deal either. Might be your best chance if New York and Boston don't get a move on.

The thing that bothers me about baseball is that in the grand scheme of things, a 15/17 game record and a 10 game losing streak don't really have a massive impact on the final standings. It is still very much anyone's game in the AL East, with over 100 games to go!

• 3 months later...

With my Red Sox out of things, I'll be hoping for a Cardinals triumph ...

Wild-card playoff games

Wednesday 10am Oakland at Kansas City

Thursday 10am San Francisco at Pittsburgh

American League match-ups (begins Friday our time)

LA Angels vs Kansas City/Oakland

Baltimore vs Detroit

National League match-ups (begins Saturday our time)

Washington vs San Francisco/Pittsburgh

LA Dodgers vs St Louis

Most of the playoff games will be covered by ESPN radio (hopefully that link will work - if not, try tunein)

• 11 months later...

Is anybody following the MLB playoff race? The Jays and Yankees have just begun a very important series in terms of the AL East title. The Jays won last night to pull 3.5 games clear, and the outcome of the next two games will go a very long way to giving a clearer picture of how the playoffs are going to look. Go Jays!

Is anybody following the MLB playoff race? The Jays and Yankees have just begun a very important series in terms of the AL East title. The Jays won last night to pull 3.5 games clear, and the outcome of the next two games will go a very long way to giving a clearer picture of how the playoffs are going to look. Go Jays!

There's a few iconic teams represented by the looks of it ... St Louis, Yankees, Dodgers & Cubs.

Would like to see the Mets and the Royals do well but even though I'm a Redsox fan, I lean towards the Cardinals as well because of their storied history. They've had another very good season and they might just pick up their 12th World Series title.

I suppose I just like playoff baseball so will catch up with as many games as possible. Your Blue Jays might win the American League to reach the World Series but it's wide open in the AL.

There's a few iconic teams represented by the looks of it ... St Louis, Yankees, Dodgers & Cubs.

Would like to see the Mets and the Royals do well but even though I'm a Redsox fan, I lean towards the Cardinals as well because of their storied history. They've had another very good season and they might just pick up their 12th World Series title.

I suppose I just like playoff baseball so will catch up with as many games as possible. Your Blue Jays might win the American League to reach the World Series but it's wide open in the AL.

It's hard to not have a soft spot for the Cubs. Their fans have arguably had a tougher time of it than us Dees supporters have. They should clinch a wildcard spot in the next few days as they're 10 games clear of any challengers. The AL is more interesting in that Minnesota and the LA Angels are keeping the heat on Houston for the second WC spot.

It looks like the NL playoff picture is pretty well sorted out, with the Cubs and Pirates to play-off with the winner facing the Cardinals. The Mets look set to play the Dodgers.

Kansas City are the only team to have clinched their division, though I'd be very surprised if Texas didn't finish on top of the AL West. The Yankees had a win last night, so the AL East is still up for grabs. The Jays should lock in a playoff berth this weekend, however it would be very disappointing to have to play-off for the wildcard if the Yankees can make up the 3 games that they trail us by.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cubs through but St Louis will be tough opposition - if they can beat the Cardinals they might go on and beat the curse ... here are the 4 match-ups with my tips in dark italics (for what it's worth)

St Louis vs Cubs

Royals vs Houston

Blue Jays vs Texas

Dodgers vs Mets

Cubs through but St Louis will be tough opposition - if they can beat the Cardinals they might go on and beat the curse ... here are the 4 match-ups with my tips in dark italics (for what it's worth)

St Louis vs Cubs

Royals vs Houston

Blue Jays vs Texas

Dodgers vs Mets

Good picks Macca. I agree with them all, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Astros pulled off an upset. Hoping the Cubs can win as well, but would have to think it's unlikely.

Here's a good story about a Cubs fan's request to his professor to postpone a test so that he could see the Wildcard game.

Edited by Good Times Grimes
  • Like 1

Good picks Macca. I agree with them all, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Astros pulled off an upset. Hoping the Cubs can win as well, but would have to think it's unlikely.

Here's a good story about a Cubs fan's request to his professor to postpone a test so that he could see the Wildcard game.

Yikes ... what's happened to your Blue Jays GTG? - they've now got to win the last 3 games of their series against Texas to progress. Good luck with that!

Cardinals winning was no real surprise but the Mets going 1 up was really important for them. The Royals clawed 1 back after falling behind in their 2nd game against Houston.

I know the MLB doesn't like messing with their traditions but having a longer post season with a shorter regular season appeals to people like me ... I'd like to see the wild-card playoffs be a best of 3 and these divisional series to be a best of 7.

That would add approximately 8-10 days to the post season but is a 162 game regular season really necessary in this day and age? There is talk of a 154 game regular season anyway.

I do like the 2 month long NBA & NHL playoff schedule.

Yikes ... what's happened to your Blue Jays GTG? - they've now got to win the last 3 games of their series against Texas to progress. Good luck with that!

Cardinals winning was no real surprise but the Mets going 1 up was really important for them. The Royals clawed 1 back after falling behind in their 2nd game against Houston.

I know the MLB doesn't like messing with their traditions but having a longer post season with a shorter regular season appeals to people like me ... I'd like to see the wild-card playoffs be a best of 3 and these divisional series to be a best of 7.

That would add approximately 8-10 days to the post season but is a 162 game regular season really necessary in this day and age? There is talk of a 154 game regular season anyway.

I do like the 2 month long NBA & NHL playoff schedule.

I'm devastated, Macca. I was at the game yesterday and the whole crowd seemed to be in disbelief after the Rangers took the lead in the 14th. I think the Blue Jays have been overconfident and let being World Series favourites go to their heads. It would take a miracle for them to come back from this.

I agree that the regular season needs to be shortened, and I quite like the idea of lengthening the first two rounds of the playoffs. I also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to let in 8 teams from each League and remove the wildcard playoff.

Really hoping that the Cubs can win today to even their series. They're the only other team in the playoffs that I would like to see win.

I'm devastated, Macca. I was at the game yesterday and the whole crowd seemed to be in disbelief after the Rangers took the lead in the 14th. I think the Blue Jays have been overconfident and let being World Series favourites go to their heads. It would take a miracle for them to come back from this.

I agree that the regular season needs to be shortened, and I quite like the idea of lengthening the first two rounds of the playoffs. I also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to let in 8 teams from each League and remove the wildcard playoff.

Really hoping that the Cubs can win today to even their series. They're the only other team in the playoffs that I would like to see win.

And .... you're back in it - one of the commentators on the radio broadcast today said that whoever won game 3 would win the series - I didn't catch the reason but I'm assuming it might be because of the pitching match-ups in games 4 & 5 (?)

Houston won again but that series could go to 5 too.

4 games tomorrow so we'll obviously know a lot more then.

And .... you're back in it - one of the commentators on the radio broadcast today said that whoever won game 3 would win the series - I didn't catch the reason but I'm assuming it might be because of the pitching match-ups in games 4 & 5 (?)

Houston won again but that series could go to 5 too.

4 games tomorrow so we'll obviously know a lot more then.

If Houston were able to knock off the Royals that would be a massive upset.

I think today will be the Jays last game of the season...I have absolutely no confidence in Dickey, especially away from the controlled climate of the Rogers Centre.

If Houston were able to knock off the Royals that would be a massive upset.

I think today will be the Jays last game of the season...I have absolutely no confidence in Dickey, especially away from the controlled climate of the Rogers Centre.

2 x game 5's now with KC & Toronto right back in it - home field for both teams as well. All happens Thursday our time.

In the NL the Mets had a big win and the Cubs also - both the Dodgers & the Cardinals need to win out but both teams are capable of doing that - we might see 2 x game 5's with these 2 series as well.

It's anyone's World series

2 x game 5's now with KC & Toronto right back in it - home field for both teams as well. All happens Thursday our time.

In the NL the Mets had a big win and the Cubs also - both the Dodgers & the Cardinals need to win out but both teams are capable of doing that - we might see 2 x game 5's with these 2 series as well.

It's anyone's World series

Very happy about yesterday's results, with the exception of Houston/Kansas City. Houston seemingly had it in the bag but managed to cough up their 6-2 lead and now have to head to KC feeling deflated. I don't like their chances.