Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Sydney



Dappa Dan

NFL

Recommended Posts

Just re watched the hit on cooks, man that was a massive hit.

 

McDaniels turns Colts job down. Seems he will take the reins ar NE when B.B. is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think any move on Foles will happen until after the draft, or certainly after the free agency circus is well under way. Depends a bit on where Cousins ends up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Don't think any move on Foles will happen until after the draft, or certainly after the free agency circus is well under way. Depends a bit on where Cousins ends up.

Totally. The longer it goes the more likely they talk to his management and let him know he can walk at the end of the season, name his price, and find himself an ongoing starter job he wants to stay in. Even if a starter at another team does a knee, unless it's one of the Brees/Rothlisberger/Rivers type dinosaurs, it won't make sense to Foles just to go to another club to backup for a handful of games and then be back where he started 12 months ago.

One last factor... Eagles have one of the worst cap situations going round. They're 9 mil over for next year, so have to lose a bunch of guys. Foles could be considered a guy you cut, but he only saves a couple of million. If they want that money, then trade is the only option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking at this from Foles' point of view and lets face it,  in a lot of ways he gets to call the shots.

He won't necessarily give a stuff what the Eagles get in return for a trade and he will probably want to maximise his dollar amount in the millions right now.

With these things it is often about the money ... loyalties can please themselves.  He probably won't want to take the risk of his market value plummeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Macca said:

I am looking at this from Foles' point of view and lets face it,  in a lot of ways he gets to call the shots.

He won't necessarily give a stuff what the Eagles get in return for a trade and he will probably want to maximise his dollar amount in the millions right now.

With these things it is often about the money ... loyalties can please themselves.  He probably won't want to take the risk of his market value plummeting.

So you're saying he'll force a trade ASAP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

So you're saying he'll force a trade ASAP?

Not necessarily ...  but if I was the GM of the Eagles I might expect some action sooner rather than later. 

Prepare for worst case scenario but work for an ideal solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Macca said:

Not necessarily ...  but if I was the GM of the Eagles I might expect some action sooner rather than later. 

Prepare for worst case scenario but work for an ideal solution.

Gotcha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Holy [censored]! Jimmy G got a 5/$138m deal from 49ers!!

Yeah biggest ever.

Sort of makes sense. They had the cap space, they couldn't franchise him cos it wouldn't show they were 100% invested. They can fiddle with the contract too and back end it.  He's young. Doesn't lose. Why not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Massive call. If teams work him out a bit and he doesnt perform... 

Yeah. It's interesting. Where do you place him in comparison to some others around the league right now... Obviously not including guys like Brees Brady, Ben... they're nearing the end... But in terms of some other guys like Mariotta, Winston, Goff, Wentz Yet to get their first big payday. Every one of those has done more I reckon, besides maybe Winston. How will that shake out? Massive implications.

4 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Hey @Dappa Dan you seen the unedited Kelce speach? Its 6mins of awesomeness. You must watch it. 

Hell, all NFL fans should.

Every blessed second. That's an all pro centre right there. Fantastic.

How are you feeling as a Rams fan? I have been a bit distracted over the last weeks, but Coach, offensive AND Defensive player of the year. And almost every special teamer in the all pro was a Ram. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about finding out that Foles called that trick play?  Remarkable.  That'll add some extra dollars. 

Bottom line is that NFL fans want to see the bloke play - next year.  Sitting on the sidelines would be such an anti-climax.  It's such a difficult situation ... if I was an Eagles fan I would not want him going anywhere.

Anyway,  here's a song performed by a couple of Philadelphia locals that is quite fitting - all these years later

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Macca said:

How about finding out that Foles called that trick play?  Remarkable.  That'll add some extra dollars. 

Bottom line is that NFL fans want to see the bloke play - next year.  Sitting on the sidelines would be such an anti-climax.  It's such a difficult situation ... if I was an Eagles fan I would not want him going anywhere.

Anyway,  here's a song performed by a couple of Philadelphia locals that is quite fitting - all these years later

Yeah. When he was run out of Philly by old Chipper, the narrative was that he was a god botherer, christian boy who didn't have the arrogance and confidence to do it in the big moments. Calling that play like that on 4th down to end the half... I don't know how you ask for a play like that when your name isn't Tom Brady. Is it De Filippo (I hope not, not an Eagle anymore)? Is it Doug?... I just can't figure it.

Had a huge, spirited argument with a bunch of mates in fantasy who say Foles is nowhere near a first rounder, possibly is only worth a third. So it seems @Clintosaurus isn't alone. In the end some of them agreed that in a perfect world he COULD get a first, which is probably true... but that in the end he won't get one.

Interestingly, this took place BEFORE Jimmy G got his record deal. The guy won 5 meaningless games to close out a losing season. Admittedly, with no help around him. Foles did that for a whole season in his first year, and he just went bang, bang, bang in playoffs... and these guys try to tell me that saying he's worth a first rounder is "emotional." How you can say that outrageous amount of money ISN'T emotional, but confidence in a player from winning a superbowl IS... Is a bit beyond me.

Interestingly... I'll take him as a backup next year, sure. But I lean towards him being traded. Move on Foles and have them soak up all his cap. Let's low ball and say we get a couple of seconds or maybe a second and a third. We can move on Blount and Smith, maybe Celek retires... and then the guys we bring in aren't scrubs from round 7. And with enough money moved out, can even find a free agent to replace someone like Smith. Maybe a LB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yeah. When he was run out of Philly by old Chipper, the narrative was that he was a god botherer, christian boy who didn't have the arrogance and confidence to do it in the big moments. Calling that play like that on 4th down to end the half... I don't know how you ask for a play like that when your name isn't Tom Brady. Is it De Filippo (I hope not, not an Eagle anymore)? Is it Doug?... I just can't figure it.

Look at all the QB's that have blossomed away from Fisher ... Bradshaw,  Keenum & Foles.  And Kelly seemed a bit rigid too - too hyper for me.  That stuff wears thin after a while.  And Fisher was useless (ask Gorg)

The bloke in charge can make or break a player ... I could point at a thousand examples but you'll already know about those instances. 

In sport,  I don't believe you can fake great.  In the right system and playing under the right sort of coach other players like Foles can prosper.  Foles strikes me as someone who has learned how to handle pressure. 

If Foles does go elsewhere he'll need to choose wisely - he'll need a good system and a good coach.  Most QB's need that though. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macca said:

Look at all the QB's that have blossomed away from Fisher ... Bradshaw,  Keenum & Foles.  And Kelly seemed a bit rigid too - too hyper for me.  That stuff wears thin after a while.  And Fisher was useless (ask Gorg)

The bloke in charge can make or break a player ... I could point at a thousand examples but you'll already know about those instances. 

In sport,  I don't believe you can fake great.  In the right system and playing under the right sort of coach other players like Foles can prosper.  Foles strikes me as someone who has learned how to handle pressure. 

If Foles does go elsewhere he'll need to choose wisely - he'll need a good system and a good coach.  Most QB's need that though. 

Almost as important as coach is O line. It's really amazing the difference it makes. His big first year he had Peters, Kelce Mathis and others. When he dropped off, everyone was hurt. Same thing with Dak and his protection issues this year, including his blocking RB, not being there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dappa Dan said:

Almost as important as coach is O line. It's really amazing the difference it makes. His big first year he had Peters, Kelce Mathis and others. When he dropped off, everyone was hurt. Same thing with Dak and his protection issues this year, including his blocking RB, not being there.

Yep ... that comes under the area of a decent system.  It has to be a given - even for someone like Rodgers. 

The other big news is McDaniels turning down the Colts job and deciding to stay at New England.  More fuel on the fire that the Belichick/Kraft/Brady alliance may not be rock-solid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macca said:

Yep ... that comes under the area of a decent system.  It has to be a given - even for someone like Rodgers. 

The other big news is McDaniels turning down the Colts job and deciding to stay at New England.  More fuel on the fire that the Belichick/Kraft/Brady alliance may not be rock-solid.  

I read that actually as the idea that behind closed doors, Bill's finally seen the end of the line and has given Kraft an ultimatum. I just got beaten by Nick Foles. Gronk's talking retirement. Brady will be done soon. I want out... Kraft says no, we need you, so they meet in the middle. Keep McDaniels and I'll wrap it up in either 12 or 24 months. No more Problems behind the scenes. This is it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Macca said:

Look at all the QB's that have blossomed away from Fisher ... Bradshaw,  Keenum & Foles.  And Kelly seemed a bit rigid too - too hyper for me.  That stuff wears thin after a while.  And Fisher was useless (ask Gorg)

Yeah the f!og is useless!

7 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yeah. It's interesting. Where do you place him in comparison to some others around the league right now... Obviously not including guys like Brees Brady, Ben... they're nearing the end... But in terms of some other guys like Mariotta, Winston, Goff, Wentz Yet to get their first big payday. Every one of those has done more I reckon, besides maybe Winston. How will that shake out? Massive implications.

Every blessed second. That's an all pro centre right there. Fantastic.

How are you feeling as a Rams fan? I have been a bit distracted over the last weeks, but Coach, offensive AND Defensive player of the year. And almost every special teamer in the all pro was a Ram. 

Donald is much deserved, Gurley had a great year but there were others that were as good and I think if Antonio Brown stayed fit he wins it.

As for the coach... I think he deserved it, was he the best? Hard to quantify, but in one single season he got a horrendous team to the play offs, beating the Jags away, saints, pushing the eagles. Went from worst scoring to nearly the best etc etc all in his first year. And he rebuilt the tea in one off season. Pretty impressive for a rookie coach.

As I said to another mate when he said DP should have got it, easier to say now he won the SB, would people still have said it if they lost? Don’t get me wrong, DP deserves the award as much as McVay, I think the fact McVay is so young and a rookie coach helped get him over the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a Superbowl! Always seems to come down to little moments and the Brady fumble was one of them. Game of inches.

On to free agency and the draft which can sometimes be as exciting as the games. Stoked my 49ers have locked up Jimmy G for 5 years. Paid up big but that’s what it takes now to get a franchise signal caller. Gonna be a great battle in the NFC West for years to come with Mcvay-Goff and Shanahan-Garoppolo. Pete Carroll and the Seahawks will have their work cut out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2018 at 5:59 AM, Gorgoroth said:

As I said to another mate when he said DP should have got it, easier to say now he won the SB, would people still have said it if they lost? Don’t get me wrong, DP deserves the award as much as McVay, I think the fact McVay is so young and a rookie coach helped get him over the line.

Doug was only in his second season. It's a bit debatable whether the being young part should have anything at all to do with it. A bit like winning an Oscar. It's an award given to the best performance within a year, not based on your age at the time. Also, the injuries Eagles copped was a big part. I reckon the big swing vote here was Howie Roseman. They hit on nearly every pick, trade and f/a guy they brought in in the off season. A lot of credit has gone to Howie in bringing in the depth... From memory McVay worked with what he had, besides a couple of pieces like Kupp, Whitworth and Watkins.

On 10/02/2018 at 11:07 PM, layzie said:

What a Superbowl! Always seems to come down to little moments and the Brady fumble was one of them. Game of inches.

On to free agency and the draft which can sometimes be as exciting as the games. Stoked my 49ers have locked up Jimmy G for 5 years. Paid up big but that’s what it takes now to get a franchise signal caller. Gonna be a great battle in the NFC West for years to come with Mcvay-Goff and Shanahan-Garoppolo. Pete Carroll and the Seahawks will have their work cut out!

Jimmy G will be great. @Macca and i were debating over the value of a Foles' trade in the coming months... I made the comparison that if Jimmy can get a mid second rounder in trade, Foles can get more as a superbowl MVP. What's clear now, especially with the money Garroppolo got paid, is that the 49ers got a bargain. A starting guy, franchise guy for a few years at least for a second rounder only. Everything gets easier when you have a franchise QB. Just look at Eagles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

From memory McVay worked with what he had, besides a couple of pieces like Kupp, Whitworth and Watkins.

Add in woods, Everett, Webster, robey-coleman, Barwon and Sullivan.

All played big parts in our games but McVays play calling and how he set the team up to take advantage of the communication with the QB. 

But as stated, we will all see this different to each other ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Add in woods, Everett, Webster, robey-coleman, Barwon and Sullivan.

All played big parts in our games but McVays play calling and how he set the team up to take advantage of the communication with the QB. 

But as stated, we will all see this different to each other ?

I reckon Woods would be just about the only one anyone would know of outside of Rams fans.

And yeah. I reckon Dougie was Robbed. But it doesn't really look to me like an award that you can quantify. A bit like how they give the Oscar to a film and the best director oscar to someone else, which has always seemed odd. Ditto for Brady being MVP but NOT offensive player of the year. I dunno that anyone minds really, cos Gurley is awesome. But it does make these awards seem a bit odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

I reckon Woods would be just about the only one anyone would know of outside of Rams fans.

And yeah. I reckon Dougie was Robbed. But it doesn't really look to me like an award that you can quantify. A bit like how they give the Oscar to a film and the best director oscar to someone else, which has always seemed odd. Ditto for Brady being MVP but NOT offensive player of the year. I dunno that anyone minds really, cos Gurley is awesome. But it does make these awards seem a bit odd.

Sullivan was our centre that people talked about a fair bit especially on NFL Live, Webster was doing well in our secondary until injury put him out for the year. Barwon was decent as well. But yeah prob only know that being a Rams fan ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×