Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NFL

Dappa Dan

1 hour ago, Clintosaurus said:

For some reason I am very bullish about the Jags this weekend.

I can't trust Bortles but if your defense can get some takeaways & points like they did in week 5 against the Steelers than you'd be a huge chance.. Guessing Bell will be a bit factor so nullifying the run and forcing big Ben into throwing will be a bit factor. I'll be cheering the Jags on, good to see different sides contending & us fellow demons need to stick together so some of us can experience some success

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JV7 said:

@Dappa Dan thoughts on this weekend at Philly ? Reckon the Eagles will hit the Falcons with the run. Ajayi ran shreds through us early in the year with Miami... I reckon the noise about Foles is a bit over the top, yeah he's no wentz but he's no slouch. The falcons record against back up QBs since I started follwing them has been horrendous. As the week goes on the less confident I've got. 

Philly sports radio has been on and on about using Ajayi for weeks. Nothing seems to make Dougie want to use him any more than he already has. He did have one week he went off on them back when he was a Dolphin, but I dunno... I'm sceptical about him this season. Philly has sneakily ended up one of the top rushing teams this year partly because they have 3 pretty good RBs. Look out for Clement and Blount... they're pretty good footballers. 

And no. The Foles talk isn't over the top. He's awful. He absolutely is a slouch.

Interesting though... as the week wears on you're less confident? As the week wears on, I'm more confident. But in the end, I think it's just that my team made the top 8 this year in a 32 team comp. Rough equivalent of top 4 in the AFL, and that's something to enjoy and buy into regardless of how the teams are in terms of form. Can they win? Sure... If Foles doesn't screw up, If the D stops Freeman etc... and mostly if the weather stops Matty Irony... (Ice) In your heart of hearts though, you know one of two things will happen. Either it's a 17-10 game and Ryan gets that match winning TD with 7 minutes remaining. Or it's a shootout, and you win cos you have way more weapons. They're bookies favourite for a reason.

Also... answer me this... who covers 11.

On 07/01/2018 at 4:00 PM, Gorgoroth said:

Haven't signed on this week til now. Man... Rams will go away very bullish about the next few years. They have some fun ahead for their fans. I have to say though, I reckon they underachieved this year. I've been on them since about week 3 or 4... Easily the most fun team to watch outside of your own team, league wide. I had them at worst playing week 2 of playoffs.

Just felt like they needed a tip of the hat on a super season. Had I only just discovered how good NFL was, I'd have settled on Rams as my team based on the last 6 months. They're very much a team you can get behind, as you feel like you're getting in on the ground floor. Similar to Eagles and Texans with Wentz and Watson being so young. Pumped to watch them next year.

• Like 1

Alrighty...

Nestled in at second place. Very much where I've been all year. Winners left of page, Macca.

Falcons 17 Eagles 10

Patriots 33 Titans 7

Steelers 23 Jaguars 13

Vikings 23 Saints 20

6 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Haven't signed on this week til now. Man... Rams will go away very bullish about the next few years. They have some fun ahead for their fans. I have to say though, I reckon they underachieved this year. I've been on them since about week 3 or 4... Easily the most fun team to watch outside of your own team, league wide. I had them at worst playing week 2 of playoffs.

Just felt like they needed a tip of the hat on a super season. Had I only just discovered how good NFL was, I'd have settled on Rams as my team based on the last 6 months. They're very much a team you can get behind, as you feel like you're getting in on the ground floor. Similar to Eagles and Texans with Wentz and Watson being so young. Pumped to watch them next year.

I was confident of winning a play off game vs any one except the Falcons. And I bet internally they thought the same. Their strengths match up on our weakness.

The free agency/trade period for us is going to be super interesting in signing our own (Donald, Johnson) etc but also who we get in to fill gaps. Watkins? Stay? Go?

Do we cut Austin? And also second year for Kupp and Cooper do they falter or keep rising?

Another turnover from a punt ... it's becoming a regular thing for the Falcons.  A TD results.   Excellent scrambling on the TD play by Ryan all the same. 

Apart from being played at below freezing temperature, the wind is a major factor in this game - a 30km/h wind throughout has made the long passing game quite redundant (for both sides)

And that is suiting the Eagles.  Luck could decide this game though.  Score currently Eagles 12 Falcons 10 with 10 minutes left.  Eagles in redzone territory.

Atlanta couldn't quite get it done with that last drive .... great effort though.  Jones initially slipping on that last play might have been the difference.  Hard luck @JV7 but your team did their best.  Eagles just a bit too strong.

So Philadelphia get it done in a game largely dominated by the defenses.  At home against another dome team next week - could be a tight low-scoring game regardless of who their opponent is.

50 minutes ago, Macca said:

Apart from being played at below freezing temperature, the wind is a major factor in this game - a 30km/h wind throughout has made the long passing game quite redundant (for both sides)

And kicking.

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

Atlanta couldn't quite get it done with that last drive .... great effort though.  Jones initially slipping on that last play might have been the difference.  Hard luck @JV7 but your team did their best.  Eagles just a bit too strong.

So Philadelphia get it done in a game largely dominated by the defenses.  At home against another dome team next week - could be a tight low-scoring game regardless of who their opponent is.

I can't believe he didn't come down with that ball. He was three feet above Mills. Do it again 10 times he gets it 10 times.

Amazing game. Happy satisfied Eagle here. Felt like I just had a meal.

8 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

And kicking.

I can't believe he didn't come down with that ball. He was three feet above Mills. Do it again 10 times he gets it 10 times.

Amazing game. Happy satisfied Eagle here. Felt like I just had a meal.

The slip by Jones before the 2nd attempt was the major factor - but the game was played in freezing conditions with 30km/h winds and the surface is real turf. 

I'm not blaming Jones but more so highlighting the conditions of play ... there were mis-throws and dropped catches all game.

As for this next game,  the Titans have to make sure they don't concede a TD or 2 in the 1st quarter.  New England could blow this game out early as that is how they normally go about it. 

The Titans probably have to score the first TD to have any chance. 

Yeah in hindsight we are 11-0 when we score 20 & now 0-7 when we don't, so looking back scoring 20 on that eagles defense in those conditions at home would have always been a struggle. Our biggest problem all year has not been able to convert in the redzone so fitting that's how our season ended. That FG on half time hurt, should have been an interception & maybe 3 to us. Also that shovel pass on 2nd & goal on the last drive, wtf was Sarkisian thinking...

I'm not too angry about it, I never really thought it was going to be our year

Edited by JV7
  • Like 1

Superb catch by Davis and the Titans score the first TD - we might have a game on our hands here. 

1 hour ago, JV7 said:

Yeah in hindsight we are 11-0 when we score 20 & now 0-7 when we don't, so looking back scoring 20 on that eagles defense in those conditions at home would have always been a struggle. Our biggest problem all year has not been able to convert in the redzone so fitting that's how our season ended. That FG on half time hurt, should have been an interception & maybe 3 to us. Also that shovel pass on 2nd & goal on the last drive, wtf was Sarkisian thinking...

I'm not too angry about it, I never really thought it was going to be our year

I reckon they played a good professional game the Falcons.

Eagles D were the difference I reckon... if not for Ajayi and the special teams coughing it up, it might have been a shutout. Still a great game to watch even with the weather.

And yeah. I reckon you have every right to be philosophical. It's not like they embarrassed themselves.

3 hours ago, Macca said:

The slip by Jones before the 2nd attempt was the major factor - but the game was played in freezing conditions with 30km/h winds and the surface is real turf. 

I'm not blaming Jones but more so highlighting the conditions of play ... there were mis-throws and dropped catches all game.

And yet, he got there, and in position for a very catchable ball that Ryan threw to the perfect spot. Watched it over and over and still can't believe it happened.

And yeah no blame. After all he did catch about three balls in that drive that got them the opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

And yet, he got there, and in position for a very catchable ball that Ryan threw to the perfect spot. Watched it over and over and still can't believe it happened.

And yeah no blame. After all he did catch about three balls in that drive that got them the opportunity.

That final drive by Atlanta was great - they fell short but gave themselves every chance.  I thought they were going to get in for a TD at the end there and that's how close the game was. 

If the game was played in idyllic conditions Atlanta probably would have won - but the regular season record counts in this sport.  Home field can make a big difference. 

If Philadelphia gives up freezing and windy conditions again next week then it's another line-ball game no matter who the Eagles are up against.

Meanwhile the Pats just continue on in relentless fashion.  Who is going to stop them Dappa?

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

That final drive by Atlanta was great - they fell short but gave themselves every chance.  I thought they were going to get in for a TD at the end there and that's how close the game was. 

If the game was played in idyllic conditions Atlanta probably would have won - but the regular season record counts in this sport.  Home field can make a big difference. 

If Philadelphia gives up freezing and windy conditions again next week then it's another line-ball game no matter who the Eagles are up against.

Meanwhile the Pats just continue on in relentless fashion.  Who is going to stop them Dappa?

Oh yeah. I was done. 1st and goal at the 7 with those guys? Even with a super performance by Eagles D, odds were Falcons would go in. JVs right, the shovel pass was the first point I felt like just maaaayyybe we could eke it out.

Totally agree. With all due respect to Dougie P who was best on... The Linc and the city of Philadelphia won that game. Cheers Carson Wentz for getting the Eagles to where they got.

Agree. Now that we've seen what Philly offers up, if we have another dome team coming in and it's below freezing again and windy, then all bets are off. With Wentz, you'd pick us, without... there's just no solid favourite.

Pats? I've been on them to win the lot all year. But, if you're asking my second pick behind them in the AFC? Steelers with a bullet. If you go back and see when they met earlier in the year... there was nothing in that game either. It could be historic if it's those two playing in the AFC championship game, and for the right money, I'd bet on Steelers happily... assuming Brown is fit and playing... which apparently isn't a certainty at all. What do you think?

10 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Oh yeah. I was done. 1st and goal at the 7 with those guys? Even with a super performance by Eagles D, odds were Falcons would go in. JVs right, the shovel pass was the first point I felt like just maaaayyybe we could eke it out.

Totally agree. With all due respect to Dougie P who was best on... The Linc and the city of Philadelphia won that game. Cheers Carson Wentz for getting the Eagles to where they got.

Agree. Now that we've seen what Philly offers up, if we have another dome team coming in and it's below freezing again and windy, then all bets are off. With Wentz, you'd pick us, without... there's just no solid favourite.

Pats? I've been on them to win the lot all year. But, if you're asking my second pick behind them in the AFC? Steelers with a bullet. If you go back and see when they met earlier in the year... there was nothing in that game either. It could be historic if it's those two playing in the AFC championship game, and for the right money, I'd bet on Steelers happily... assuming Brown is fit and playing... which apparently isn't a certainty at all. What do you think?

The Pats would probably beat the Jags comfortably but if the Jags can somehow beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh then they'd have to be some sort of show. 

But I reckon the Steelers will probably win against Jacksonville anyway ... and then the Steelers would need to come out of the blocks against a team who have dominated them in the recent past.  Pats win.  They are just too professional - the best in all sports if we're being honest.

Over in the the NFC the Championship is up for grabs - I've picked the Vikes to win tomorrow but not with any great confidence.  The Saints could win in equal measure and then we get a knock 'em down affair regardless of who matches up against a rejuvenated Eagles.  The 'line' next week will almost certainly be around the 2 to 3 mark (either way)

By the way,  Foles is ok when he doesn't have to throw more than 15 yards - when he does throw long it's hold-your-breath time.  There is a way to use Foles well but for that answer they might have to put in a call to Chip Kelly :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Macca said:

By the way,  Foles is ok when he doesn't have to throw more than 15 yards - when he does throw long it's hold-your-breath time.  There is a way to use Foles well but for that answer they might have to put in a call to Chip Kelly :ph34r:

It's not a question of what he can do, of course. It's a question of what he can't. No question in my mind that's a comfortable win with Wentz under centre. Not just because he's a great player, but because he's the ideal type of player in a windy game where you need a guy to move well with his legs and pick defenses apart before the snap. Foles aint great at either of those things. He has got starter-level attributes of course... But you saw that first ball he threw into the wind... Horrible. Same thing for Ryan... so if it's the same next week, you'll see it all over again. I think you'll see the pundits get around the Eagles a little more this week since the weather took away Ryan's main strength over Foles... the same will be true with Brees and Keenum.

The Falcons linebackers gave Eagles enough space on the RPOs to get a couple of good drives going... and basically the D did what it needed to do. I feel like, maybe, if it's New Orleans... they set up similarly to Falcons... and we might just see a replica game.  I already feel better about this coming week than I did 24 hours ago.

That win, I have to say, is massive for the organisation. First playoff win in almost ten years... But the key is all those new kids and new recruits. Confidence is a big thing... Knowing they can do it missing an all pro LT, their starting Middle LB and an MVP QB... And not only that but they can do it clutch. Next year they'll fear nothing. Imagine being Cowboys... They didn't have any injuries when they went 13-3... Still couldn't win.

1 minute ago, Dappa Dan said:

It's not a question of what he can do, of course. It's a question of what he can't. No question in my mind that's a comfortable win with Wentz under centre. Not just because he's a great player, but because he's the ideal type of player in a windy game where you need a guy to move well with his legs and pick defenses apart before the snap. Foles aint great at either of those things. He has got starter-level attributes of course... But you saw that first ball he threw into the wind... Horrible. Same thing for Ryan... so if it's the same next week, you'll see it all over again. I think you'll see the pundits get around the Eagles a little more this week since the weather took away Ryan's main strength over Foles... the same will be true with Brees and Keenum.

The Falcons linebackers gave Eagles enough space on the RPOs to get a couple of good drives going... and basically the D did what it needed to do. I feel like, maybe, if it's New Orleans... they set up similarly to Falcons... and we might just see a replica game.  I already feel better about this coming week than I did 24 hours ago.

That win, I have to say, is massive for the organisation. First playoff win in almost ten years... But the key is all those new kids and new recruits. Confidence is a big thing... Knowing they can do it missing an all pro LT, their starting Middle LB and an MVP QB... And not only that but they can do it clutch. Next year they'll fear nothing. Imagine being Cowboys... They didn't have any injuries when they went 13-3... Still couldn't win.

Louis Riddick is probably my favourite pundit on all things NFL ... after the game on 'Sportscenter' he was talking about how Brady is more often than not used for those short throws down the middle and then letting the receiver gain the extra yards. 

He then went on to say how he doesn't understand why other teams don't just simply copy what the Pats do.  I've got a mate who follows the Pats and we've both been saying the exact same thing for years. 

Brady is only ever called upon to do his "stuff" when it's absolutely needed or as a surprise move ... and Belichick knows he can and does deliver when called upon.  Foles is asked to do more at the Eagles yet he is not in Brady's league.  Drive for show,  putt for dough. 

So there is a way to use Foles effectively even though he is not a deep ball thrower nor is he good with his legs.  Foles went 23/30 and threw for 246 yards.  No TD's but he wasn't too shabby.  Should have been intercepted at least once but again,  only on deep throws.  Foles should throw long when the odds are in his favour or if it's a sideline throw.  Play the percentages.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

So there is a way to use Foles effectively even though he is not a deep ball thrower nor is he good with his legs.  Foles went 23/30 and threw for 246 yards.  No TD's but he wasn't too shabby.  Should have been intercepted at least once but again,  only on deep throws.  Foles should throw long when the odds are in his favour or if it's a sideline throw.  Play the percentages.

Good post. And I think you'll find, exactly what Dougie went for in the first half. You can always tell when they want to use the vertical game cos Wentz of Foles, they'll drop back and sling it as hard as they can without really even waiting to see what's happening downfield.

Foles was exactly what Philly begged for, and what Petersen promised. I was surprised to hear him say it, but when pressed, he said "he knows what Nick Foles is" or words to that effect. Seems daft to me to place limits on a player. That said, I think what he meant was that he had to do a better job of coaching to Foles' skill set and not stubbornly keep coaching like it's Carson in there.

I'll say this though. Foles DOES have a long ball. It's not like he's completely useless at it. It's just you'd say it's not as good as, well, anyone left in playoffs. Maybe Keenum's long ball is similar I'm no expert on him. What he needs though is a DJax style deep threat, which Eagles really don't have.

Really interesting stuff on the Brady comments. Just do the smaller stuff. Make sure you have a Gronk-type somewhere on your list... And use your long ball on your terms, not when you're desperate. I see what you mean, but as you say... I feel like in a dome, Brady will get more out of his arm than Foles would. Same is true of Brees. Ben. etc etc... That's why I reckon with bad weather... It's game on in a week. I might even pick the Eagles... you never know...

I'm off to Hats and Tatts in South Melbourne wearing my Mike Vick jersey. Lovely american style dive bar with American sports paraphernalia everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Good post. And I think you'll find, exactly what Dougie went for in the first half. You can always tell when they want to use the vertical game cos Wentz of Foles, they'll drop back and sling it as hard as they can without really even waiting to see what's happening downfield.

Foles was exactly what Philly begged for, and what Petersen promised. I was surprised to hear him say it, but when pressed, he said "he knows what Nick Foles is" or words to that effect. Seems daft to me to place limits on a player. That said, I think what he meant was that he had to do a better job of coaching to Foles' skill set and not stubbornly keep coaching like it's Carson in there.

I'll say this though. Foles DOES have a long ball. It's not like he's completely useless at it. It's just you'd say it's not as good as, well, anyone left in playoffs. Maybe Keenum's long ball is similar I'm no expert on him. What he needs though is a DJax style deep threat, which Eagles really don't have.

Really interesting stuff on the Brady comments. Just do the smaller stuff. Make sure you have a Gronk-type somewhere on your list... And use your long ball on your terms, not when you're desperate. I see what you mean, but as you say... I feel like in a dome, Brady will get more out of his arm than Foles would. Same is true of Brees. Ben. etc etc... That's why I reckon with bad weather... It's game on in a week. I might even pick the Eagles... you never know...

I'm off to Hats and Tatts in South Melbourne wearing my Mike Vick jersey. Lovely american style dive bar with American sports paraphernalia everywhere.

It's almost like Belichick uses Brady as if he's a 2nd string QB but lets him off the leash when it suits.  And over time Brady has realised that Belichick is right.  Maybe Tom realised it early on when the SB rings kept coming. 

I can't imagine Rodgers being used in that fashion - these gun QB's are the Alpha-Dogs and they have colossal ego's.  They have an inner urge to do the spectacular.  With Brady,  he's often an unspectacular superstar. 

But the Belichick way works much like Ferguson had it all figured out at Man Utd - or Popovich at the Spurs.  Winning is winning. 

40 minutes ago, Macca said:

It's almost like Belichick uses Brady as if he's a 2nd string QB but lets him off the leash when it suits.  And over time Brady has realised that Belichick is right.  Maybe Tom realised it early on when the SB rings kept coming. 

I can't imagine Rodgers being used in that fashion - these gun QB's are the Alpha-Dogs and they have colossal ego's.  They have an inner urge to do the spectacular.  With Brady,  he's often an unspectacular superstar. 

But the Belichick way works much like Ferguson had it all figured out at Man Utd - or Popovich at the Spurs.  Winning is winning. 

Yeah. Brady probably, at least early on, was more coachable because he was a backup who hadn't discovered himself yet. More malleable.

Having said that. With colossal ego comes colossal confidence. Rodgers' confidence leads to some pretty special things.

2 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yeah. Brady probably, at least early on, was more coachable because he was a backup who hadn't discovered himself yet. More malleable.

Having said that. With colossal ego comes colossal confidence. Rodgers' confidence leads to some pretty special things.

As much as I like Rodgers and what he does I'm all about the team.  Individuals come and go but winning titles is what it is all about. 

Rodgers will want more than one SB ring and he's about to embark on the tail-end of his career (5 more years of top QB play - hopefully) The reality is that in 10 years at the helm Rodgers has only reached one SB.  Brady is probably going to be playing in his 8th SB this year.

Rodgers and McCarthy have to find a way of getting to the 1 seed ... winning the division is the first task but home field advantage at Lambeau is of even more importance. 

Your Eagles have that advantage - without it,  you'd probably be out of the playoffs already (because of the loss of Wentz)  And you've earned that right too.  A 13 & 3 season has its own rewards.