Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NFL

Dappa Dan

11 minutes ago, layzie said:

I got on board during the Steve Young period. Narrowly missed the Montana era, I was pretty young when he left SF.

I've definitely seen some success which is good. But in those years from 06 if you take out the Harbaugh period they've been a dysfunctional tire fire not too dissimilar to the Demons!

But it still could be way worse for you ... Cleveland!  Those 3 years under Harbaugh any Browns fan would take - in a nanosecond.

It's like the miserable pessimists on the footy threads bemoaning the fact that we've terrible for 53 years ... more nonsense.

We played some great footy under Northey,  Daniher & Balme. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Oh mate. We've been copping it for a long time as demons supporters. One of the reasons Philly's fans are known as psychos is cos they were at their wits end with the abuse.

I dunno if you can say dominant unless you're talking about just Divisions. The superbowl vs Division thing was an obsession in all Philly sports and has been since I discovered the sport. You have to remember they've been beating up on the Cowboys for years, and every time they did, the 'boys would remind you they've won 5 and Philly have won none. And their were in recent memory. So dominance is a matter of perspective I think.

It is about perspective ... we'll therefore have to agree to disagree. 

And I said 'Somewhat' dominant ... miss that word Dappa?

Anyway,  our team just made the finals so moaning about the past about your team seems a bit odd.

1 minute ago, Macca said:

But it still could be way worse for you ... Cleveland!  Those 3 years under Harbaugh any Browns fan would take - in a nanosecond.

It's like the miserable pessimists on the footy threads bemoaning the fact that we've terrible for 53 years ... more nonsense.

We played some great footy under Northey,  Daniher & Balme. 

For sure mate, it makes you realise that success in any sport is bloody hard to come by and if you are fortunate to have some you have to be thankful. 

Those Daniher years remain some of my best footy memories. Compared to what people had to go through in the back end of the 60's to 87 it was definitely something to cheer about.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, layzie said:

For sure mate, it makes you realise that success in any sport is bloody hard to come by and if you are fortunate to have some you have to be thankful. 

Those Daniher years remain some of my best footy memories. Compared to what people had to go through in the back end of the 60's to 87 it was definitely something to cheer about.

Sometimes this place is like that Monty Python sketch where they are all trying to out do one another with their miserable tales.

I went 22 years without finals ('65 to '87) yet I still don't moan about it.  What is the point ... nothing can be changed.

Edited by Macca

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

That is true. And an interesting perspective. ;)

Just now, Macca said:

It is about perspective ... we'll therefore have to agree to disagree. 

And I said 'Somewhat' dominant ... miss that word Dappa?

Anyway,  our team just made the finals so moaning about the past about your team seems a bit odd.

Nah. Makes it all the sweeter for me. I reckon Hawks fans would have a slight yawn on with how they're doing right now. They'rs so used to success. For us, I love to think of how hard it's been, because it's in the past now.

Having said that, I'll forget about it pretty quick once finals actually start.

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

Sometimes this place is like that Monty Python sketch where they are all trying to out do one another with their miserable tales.

Four Yorkshiremen I believe is the one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, layzie said:

I guess also because Philly is a massive football town and they hadn't won a major title since the 1960 NFL championship (think that's the right year). They craved success pretty bad.

Yeah it was ridiculous. During the AFL off season I have "The Fanatic" playing which is Philly's SEN equivalent. It was hours of joy every day last year. There were seasoned old 30 year radio veterans in floods of tears for weeks. Was amazing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

That is true. And an interesting perspective. ;)

Nah. Makes it all the sweeter for me. I reckon Hawks fans would have a slight yawn on with how they're doing right now. They'rs so used to success. For us, I love to think of how hard it's been, because it's in the past now.

Having said that, I'll forget about it pretty quick once finals actually start.

Those barren Demon years between '65 to '87 taught me that just having a winning season is something to be celebrated (as an onlooker)

Playing sport is different because at least you can control things and help create a proper direction.  Ultimate success is therefore quite achievable.

As onlookers we can really only hope for the best.  If you were a Cleveland fan you'd have my sympathies.  But I believe you just achieved the ultimate success yeah?

As onlookers we can really only hope for the best.  If you were a Cleveland fan you'd have my sympathies.  But I believe you just achieved the ultimate success yeah?

I believe the club I follow did, yes. :)

Interesting. You'd have been up to your neck in success when Rodgers won the superbowl a few years back. Was that not a much more impactful thing?

I'd never seen an MFC OR NFL flag until 6 months ago. I don't really have that much experience with what I'm supposed to do, it must be said.

One of the BEST things about being in playoffs/finals... is you get to enjoy sport for weeks longer than you would usually. Just yesterday's game means I can read the Age and the Hun for the entire two week break before finals, and really see MFC get some press. That sort of thing is a gift. Was the same for Eagles... They got the bye, then some luck against Falcons... and it just meant you got a whole month more than you would have gotten otherwise. I still don't know what to do with myself. lol

53 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

I believe the club I follow did, yes. :)

Interesting. You'd have been up to your neck in success when Rodgers won the superbowl a few years back. Was that not a much more impactful thing?

I'd never seen an MFC OR NFL flag until 6 months ago. I don't really have that much experience with what I'm supposed to do, it must be said.

One of the BEST things about being in playoffs/finals... is you get to enjoy sport for weeks longer than you would usually. Just yesterday's game means I can read the Age and the Hun for the entire two week break before finals, and really see MFC get some press. That sort of thing is a gift. Was the same for Eagles... They got the bye, then some luck against Falcons... and it just meant you got a whole month more than you would have gotten otherwise. I still don't know what to do with myself. lol

I look bigger picture as a sports fan even though I know my own thoughts are largely worthless and pointless.

Ultimate success is an obvious goal so getting to the playoffs/finals is an achievement because you've got the chance to contend and it has been hard work getting there.

And the journey should be enjoyed and not dismissed if the ultimate goal isn't achieved.

Divisional titles are like playing 2 finals in footy in my eyes.  So enjoy it. 

The Northey,  Daniher & Balme years should be somewhat celebrated because we played some great footy and had winning seasons.  Many might disagree but I don't care for those sort of views.

Edited by Macca

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

Divisional titles are like playing 2 finals in footy in my eyes.  So enjoy it. 

The Northey,  Daniher & Balme years should be somewhat celebrated because we played some great footy and had winning seasons.  Many might disagree but I don't care for those sort of views.

Oh I do. But it's nothing compared to the GFs. Again. Just my opinion. Not trying to change your mind, mate.

Oooh yeah. I still have mates who are yet to come back to following MFC closely since the Balme era. Daniher was my big one.

Two finals = Div title. Yeah I get what you mean. If you're good enough to be in the top 6 in a conference (6/16) then that's mathematically harder than making finals in the AFL (8/18). So I get what you mean.

Edited by Dappa Dan

3 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Oh I do. But it's nothing compared to the GFs. Again. Just my opinion. Not trying to change your mind, mate.

Oooh yeah. I still have mates who are yet to come back to following MFC closely since the Balme era. Daniher was my big one.

Two finals = Div title. Yeah I get what you mean. If you're good enough to be in the top 6 in a conference (6/16) then that's mathematically harder than making finals in the AFL (8/18). So I get what you mean.

I do believe there are legitimate times to moan though Dappa ...

Seattle/Beast Mode SB moment

Atlanta more than 3 converted TD's ahead deep into a SB

Rodgers breaking another collarbone therefore ending the Packers season with a jolt

Wentz going down with an ACL

Rams not making the playoffs for 11 years with a terrible head coach for the most part. 

The Cleveland Browns.

Edited by Macca

53 minutes ago, Macca said:

I do believe there are legitimate times to moan though Dappa ...

Seattle/Beast Mode SB moment

Atlanta 3 scores ahead deep into a SB

Rodgers breaking another collarbone therefore ending the Packers season with a jolt

Wentz going down with an ACL

Rams not making the playoffs for 11 years with a terrible head coach

Recruiting of Neeld. Trading of Thommo. lol

25 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Recruiting of Neeld. Trading of Thommo. lol

Yep

And if you are embarking on a total rebuild why would you appoint a rookie coach?

We got it right with Roos/Goodwin but DB never stood a chance . . it is hard enough to win games as a rookie coach with regards to the supporter heat.  We threw the guy to the wolves.  Hibdsight though Dappa.

Neeld the same really because our list was bog ordinary when he took over.  Roos turned over more than 30 players in 3 years.

Just now, Macca said:

Yep

And if you are embarking on a total rebuild why would you appoint a rookie coach?

We got it right with Roos/Goodwin but DB never stood a chance . . it is hard enough to win games as a rookie coach with regards to the supporter heat.  We threw the guy to the wolves.  Hibdsight though Dappa.

Neeld the same really because our list was bog ordinary when he took over.  Roos turned over more than 30 players in 3 years.

Yeah the whole league has learned so much from us. I wonder if you remember around the time Neitz was wrapping up and we turfed all our stalwarts like Bruce, Yze, Robbo, White and others. Either tapped them on the shoulder or played them less... and went hell for leather at a youth policy that saw us in the doldrums for over a decade. I remember back then I has such faith in the club to teach and bring up young players, and wanted the mediocrity gone so badly I was all for a full top-down rebuild. Roos got it right though. Get Cross and Vince to teach the kids and buy in to the new squad mentality. Brilliant. Long way to go of course, but it's now been definitively a successful investment.

Need to cultivate a Howie Roseman now. Mahoney, anyone?

21 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yeah the whole league has learned so much from us. I wonder if you remember around the time Neitz was wrapping up and we turfed all our stalwarts like Bruce, Yze, Robbo, White and others. Either tapped them on the shoulder or played them less... and went hell for leather at a youth policy that saw us in the doldrums for over a decade. I remember back then I has such faith in the club to teach and bring up young players, and wanted the mediocrity gone so badly I was all for a full top-down rebuild. Roos got it right though. Get Cross and Vince to teach the kids and buy in to the new squad mentality. Brilliant. Long way to go of course, but it's now been definitively a successful investment.

Need to cultivate a Howie Roseman now. Mahoney, anyone?

Us supporters aren't supposed to be the ones with foresight but even if we were being heard,  it's the paid professionals and the board who just have to have that knowledge.  Looking back,  it was pure amateur hour.  I'm sure they were trying their best but the direction was skewiff.

But we bought in anyway because we are trusting souls and when things didn't work out,  we are still here.  Remarkable resilience really.  

Fast forward to right now - with there being no real stand-out clubs apart from Richmond,  we've got a chance to win a couple of finals.  You just never know.

But I'm always one to believe that a clubs list can always be improved greatly no matter where that club sits ... if you miss one year recruitment-wise because you are resting on your laurels, that can be very costly.  Other years you might recruit hard and fall way short anyway - we've seen that happen.  I'm liking the look of our list but we've still got a fair way to go. 

Same deal for the NFL ... my Packers have to become a better than average team that can win without Rodgers - twice now he's been incapacitated and we've fallen away badly as a consequence.  Kizer might do alright at the Packers away from the Browns.  Time will tell.  He's a big lad, very athletic and still only 22 years old.  We should be able to teach the kid how to play the QB position at least ?

Same deal for the NFL ... my Packers have to become a better than average team that can win without Rodgers - twice now he's been incapacitated and we've fallen away badly as a consequence.  Kizer might do alright at the Packers away from the Browns.  Time will tell.  He's a big lad, very athletic and still only 22 years old.  We should be able to teach the kid how to play the QB position at least ?

Started well hasn't he. Very interesting. Like I said last year, I thought Hundley was gonna be ok. But as time went on he did make a bit of a fool out of me.

2 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Started well hasn't he. Very interesting. Like I said last year, I thought Hundley was gonna be ok. But as time went on he did make a bit of a fool out of me.

Only 2cm - 3cm difference in height but Kizer plays tall and Hundley looks small.  Kizer looks a bit like Prescott and Hundley looks like a fish out of water sometimes.  We've got both on the roster right now but if Rodgers stays fit,  he'll be playing nearly all the minutes. 

I like the idea of having a back-up QB to Rodgers as someone who can take a hit and/or gain yards with the run.  The throwing should revert to 6-7 yard lateral passes or shorter throws downfield as opposed to what a gun like Rodgers delivers - different QB,  different type of role.  McCarthy should be able to figure it out - hopefully.

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Only 2cm - 3cm difference in height but Kizer plays tall and Hundley looks small.  Kizer looks a bit like Prescott and Hundley looks like a fish out of water sometimes.  We've got both on the roster right now but if Rodgers stays fit,  he'll be playing nearly all the minutes. 

I like the idea of having a back-up QB to Rodgers as someone who can take a hit and/or gain yards with the run.  The throwing should revert to 6-7 yard lateral passes or shorter throws downfield as opposed to what a gun like Rodgers delivers - different QB,  different type of role.  McCarthy should be able to figure it out - hopefully.

Would you categorize both as career backups? Or is Kizer looked at as an heir to Rodgers?

What would you suggest is Rodgers' retirement age? 40+?

1 minute ago, Dappa Dan said:

Would you categorize both as career backups? Or is Kizer looked at as an heir to Rodgers?

What would you suggest is Rodgers' retirement age? 40+?

Kizer is 22 so there is plenty of time to teach him the QB position - what hope did he have at Cleveland?  He's only 1 year out of college.  So there's a long term hope.  Hundley would want to improve greatly as he's looking like being the 3rd banana right now.

Rodgers will be 35 in December but elite QB's go on until they're 40 these days.  Or more in the case of Brees & Brady.  Aaron is still as hungry as ever so at least 4-5 more years as long as he stays healthy.

@Dappa Dan 

Foles & Wentz both at practice and in full training.  Splitting the snaps in 11 on 11 drills.  Not sure the 3rd QB Sudfeld is going to get a look in,  in the season proper.

In other news Adrian Peterson could end up at Washington,  Deshaun Watson is back as the QB at Houston & Jameis Winston looks to have taken a step up for the Bucs. 

Edited by Macca

32 minutes ago, Macca said:

@Dappa Dan 

Foles & Wentz both at practice and in full training.  Splitting the snaps in 11 on 11 drills.  Not sure the 3rd QB Sudfield is going to get a look in,  in the season proper.

In other news Adrian Peterson could end up at Washington,  Deshaun Watson is back as the QB at Houston & Jameis Winston looks to have taken a step up for the Bucs. 

That's news to me. Excellent. If Foles went to greener pastures and we had Sudfeld as the backup, I wouldn't be altogether annoyed. But it'd be a sad day.

• Like 1