Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NFL

Dappa Dan

On 19/09/2017 at 7:54 AM, Gorgoroth said:

I honestly think Goff is starting to look like a decent pick as QB. Kupp looks like a great pick as a WR, Gurley was back in form. After watching decent chunks of the game I think with another 10 odd games together we probably win that game. I think the changers. 4-3 to 3-4 is leaving bigger gaps we are not use to but will tighten up.

Picked up Kupp after week 1 in fantasy, he's looking good for me. In a team with Hopkins, OBJ and Cobb he nestles in comfortably.

Also have the Gurley man who is currently RB2 in fantasy.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2017 at 8:43 PM, Macca said:

We could do it Dappa ... maybe a designed system where we don't have to ever come back here and adjust our line-ups.  Just pick our players, lock 'em in and see how it pans out. 

Here's a idea that I thought up ... we all pick 2 x QB's,  2 x WR's,  2 x RB's,  2 x Kickers,  2 x TE's & 2 x Defensive players.  Bur then, we only count the fantasy score of 1 of each pair of players.  This allows for injuries and such-like. 

Others might have better ideas but the above idea could take less than an hour for participants and that's the extent of the time needed. 

The time consuming bit would be for whoever runs it :ph34r:

Yeah. Would actually be super time consuming if, say, 8-10 players played. Also, people will lose interest if they lose even one guy.

Have you played fantasy before? The site makes it good and easy. If we had enough guys pay attention, I wouldn't mind setting it up and running it. 

24 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yeah. Would actually be super time consuming if, say, 8-10 players played. Also, people will lose interest if they lose even one guy.

Have you played fantasy before? The site makes it good and easy. If we had enough guys pay attention, I wouldn't mind setting it up and running it. 

It's never been my thing but I'd be in it if it was zero maintenance. 

We could even pick 3 players in each category with only 1 player from each category counting towards your score (the highest - obviously)

The fantasy 'score' could be borrowed from any of the fantasy leagues.

2 hours ago, Macca said:

It's never been my thing but I'd be in it if it was zero maintenance. 

We could even pick 3 players in each category with only 1 player from each category counting towards your score (the highest - obviously)

The fantasy 'score' could be borrowed from any of the fantasy leagues.

I get what you're saying, what I mean though is that the running of it is easier if you just have a league. Means no-one has to do the sums. But yeah, probably gets us off this thread... or even worse makes this thread all about fantasy NFL, which isn't what we're looking for. I'll keep floating it each year until we get enough bites. The way I see it there's probably 6 guys in here that definitely have the league-wide knowledge to make a good fist of fantasy. Yourself, me, Gorg, JV.... and a couple of others I forget.

• Like 1

How 'bout them Rams Gorg!!

Man that was fun to watch. Tripled their viewership for the rest of the season now.

Watkins, Woods, Kupp... That's 3 that will be among the best in the league... With Gurley running it, and Goff slinging it near perfectly all day.

And they have a great D, though they didn't play great today.

1 hour ago, Dappa Dan said:

I get what you're saying, what I mean though is that the running of it is easier if you just have a league. Means no-one has to do the sums. But yeah, probably gets us off this thread... or even worse makes this thread all about fantasy NFL, which isn't what we're looking for. I'll keep floating it each year until we get enough bites. The way I see it there's probably 6 guys in here that definitely have the league-wide knowledge to make a good fist of fantasy. Yourself, me, Gorg, JV.... and a couple of others I forget.

Just goes to show how much I know about it all Dappa ... if we're part of a greater league, can one just set and forget?  Or is there maintenance required? 

Even with the tips here,  I tend to want to go early for 2 reasons.  Not much usually changes re key players and it gets the tips out the way as well.  However,  things like Bradford being very doubtful opens things up for the Bucs.

3 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Man that was fun to watch. Tripled their viewership for the rest of the season now.

Watkins, Woods, Kupp... That's 3 that will be among the best in the league... With Gurley running it, and Goff slinging it near perfectly all day.

Only saw the last quarter but that was some crazy finish! Gorg will have some fun with that tomorrow morning!! On the fantasy leauge, you ran one a couple years back on here if I'm correct ? I actually enjoyed it, didn't fully understand the ins & outs but I'm up for it if others are!

9 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

5 hours ago, JV7 said:

Only saw the last quarter but that was some crazy finish! Gorg will have some fun with that tomorrow morning!! On the fantasy leauge, you ran one a couple years back on here if I'm correct ? I actually enjoyed it, didn't fully understand the ins & outs but I'm up for it if others are!

I think I would have enjoyed it more if we were leading by more. That fumble then kick off stuff up... thought we were going to stuff it, enter #99

Gurley was immense, Watkins loked good as did wood, Kupp had a quiet game but that's ok.

Garcon for the niners gave us heaps all night and so did Hyde.

prob would have enjoyed the game more if I knew the score.

2-1 Rams! ??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JV7 said:

On the fantasy leauge, you ran one a couple years back on here if I'm correct ? I actually enjoyed it, didn't fully understand the ins & outs but I'm up for it if others are!

Wow. I totally forgot. Yeah I did. It was fun, but from memory only about 4 guys stuck around. @Kraken on here did mostly cos he was making me coffee every morning and wanted to have someone to smacktalk every day. I'd be happy to do it again for next year. I'll give everyone a simple run down of it closer to the date.

11 hours ago, Macca said:

Just goes to show how much I know about it all Dappa ... if we're part of a greater league, can one just set and forget?  Or is there maintenance required? 

Yeah, unfortunately, you get out of it what you put it. I wouldn't say it's a LOT of work... But you should check in a couple of times a week. Basically, you need about 30-60 minutes on draft day to make sure you get the guys you want. You can autopick as well, and that usually works out well. After that it's a system of picking up guys on waivers that come in, particularly running backs, through injury. Hunt this year is a great example. Would have been on not too many lists in leagues, then Ware happened, and Hunt is outdoing Zeke at the same stage last year. If you don't pay attention to who's out, who's coming in for them etc etc... you can easily end up with a team that loses every week because you don't drop your injured guy, or guys who have byes.

22 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Whitworth has allowed 1 pressure on Goff in three games. Great pick up. 

Amazing what an OL does. I remember when I first started watching NFL. I was thinking, ok, I get the WRs, RBs, QBs... I get that you need CBs to stop the great stars.... and you need DEs to get to the opposition passers and sack them... But what's the big deal about the OL? 5 guys who seem to soak up money and let you down all the time?

Then I saw Jason Peters, Evan Mathis and others dominate.... Then I saw what a good OL does at Dallas over the last few years. Now I get it. This game is won and lost in the trenches. Zeke is a good player. Dak isn't awful. But they're NOTHING without that line blocking for them. Boys will be a force for many years to come with them in there.

Rams with Whitworth are seeing what happens when you give a young talented kid time in the pocket. First he finds a few WRs with slant routes and check downs. Then he gets confident and starts spreading it to Gurley. Then he gets really keen and starts hitting the WR they picked up only a couple of weeks ago for some ridiculous catches. All the while the lanes are opening up for Gurley, and he's currently the highest scoring RB in football. All because Goff has protection. It's a beautiful thing. People will tune in specifically for that offense now. Oh... and the best player at Rams isn't even on offense. Their D goes ok as well.

• Like 1

Rams were great but lets not forget the 9ers were doing it with Hoyer who I really like as a back up but shouldn't be a starter and a younger less talented defense. I'm all in on Kyle Shanahan just as much as McVay.

Both teams will have to up the defense and get better QB play to sustain good offense against good teams, but loving those offensive coaching gurus.

I'm expecting coaches from their system to spread throughout the league like Hawthorn assistants. The way they design run-pass option players and simplify the decisions for QB's is just a mile ahead of a lot of other coaches right now.

• Like 1

Holy [censored].. If none of you caught the end of the Falcons/Lions game, wow. Falcons lead all day, Lions march down the field take the lead with 8 seconds left no TO's... Golden Tate TD on 3rd & goal (I storm out of the room, leave the mrs behind asking what's going on and jump in the shower, 3 minutes later she comes banging on the door THEY WON, THEY WON) almost slipped over in the bathroom... There I was standing in my towel seeing the TD was overturned haha geeeesus! The call was right to overturn the TD but it's the 10 second runoff rule that I thinks a bit stiff but that's football.. You'd think I would have learnt by now to wait until it's officially over in this sport... Anyway, big upsets around the leauge.. Seems like it may be even year only Cheifs & Falcons undefeated 

Edited by JV7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JV7 said:

Holy [censored].. If none of you caught the end of the Falcons/Lions game, wow. Falcons lead all day, Lions march down the field take the lead with 8 seconds left no TO's... Golden Tate TD on 3rd & goal (I storm out of the room, leave the mrs behind asking what's going on and jump in the shower, 3 minutes later she comes banging on the door THEY WON, THEY WON) almost slipped over in the bathroom... There I was standing in my towel seeing the TD was overturned haha geeeesus! The call was right to overturn the TD but it's the 10 second runoff rule that I thinks a bit stiff but that's football.. You'd think I would have learnt by now to wait until it's officially over in this sport... Anyway, big upsets around the leauge.. Seems like it may be even year only Cheifs & Falcons undefeated 

Just viewed it ... the sport really is a game of inches.  Correct call though, all the same.  The 10 second run-off rule had to be adhered to. 

My lads were just as lucky though ... rescued by Rodgers again.  The man is a freak and as long as he's healthy,  we can win enough games to usually contend. 

Still fighting my way through all the games but I'll record & watch NFL Primetime to get a better overview.  But off-the-top ...

• Jags impressive,  Titans as well
  • Bills,  Jets,  Bears & Saints win - who knew?
  • Pats get out of jail but Houston look to have found their QB - too soon?
  • KC march on with Reid at the helm,  Atlanta just as good.  Both favoured to win their respective divisions now.
  • The Seahawks might be in trouble,  The Rams need to make a move in that division.
  • Washington could be decent,  ditto for the Eagles.  Giants are almost shot.
  • Despite there being 10 road favourites, only 2 of those favourites won
  • No one scored a point in the comp - order is restored!
  • Keenum steps in for the Vikes and steps it up.  The NFC North is wide open.
Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Macca said:

Just viewed it ... the sport really is a game of inches.  Correct call though, all the same.  The 10 second run-off rule had to be adhered to. 

My thoughts on the 10 second run off rule are if it's 1st or 2nd down that's really unfair because I'd back a team to line up and spike the ball within the 8 or so seconds that were left if they had to.

The Lions were on 3rd down so if it was called a no score correctly the first time they would've had to be seriously quick to get lined up and run any kind of coherent play and so the 10 second run off makes sense. In this situation I guess you have to always throw so it ends up in the end zone. The falcons defender comes off his man and makes one hell of a tackle to stop him short, so credit to Atlanta for a great play as well.

The 10 second rule is logical and consistent if not always fair I guess.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

How bout dem Jags?? Be looking for a replay/download for sure.

Every year we get a new bunch of teams that have to be watched. Rams, Jags, KC... And a list of about six that are next tier... Pack, Skins, Pats, Titans, Raiders, Cowboys... NFL is football Mecca. Even in a "defense first" year like this year.

8 hours ago, Biffen said:

Somebody explain to me what these morons are kneeling FOR exactly? Or are they just against the country that made them millionaires?

I've seen some stupid sheep in my time but these guys are living in a prosperous place and time where life has never, ever been better for ALL men and women.

I don't understand the petulant carry on.

Well. No need to misunderstand just cos you're sheltered. I hate America more than most, but until you live there, and are black, you don't qualify to claim any intellectual high ground. In the world of demonland? You're a smart man. And nothing if not entertaining... But...

Let me put it this way. Stand in front of my mate Jesse (not Hogan), and tell him you know more than him about kneeling at a football game in the name of race relations. I bet you wouldn't. You don't know as much as you think you know... People are entitled to their own opinion. Some footballers realise they're lucky to have the privilege their bodies and athletic prowess allow them, and want to do something with it. Why hate? You've certainly proven in our little community here that you are smart enough to know that you are NO authority on USA race relations. Correct me if I'm wrong? (honest request, not being glib).

4 hours ago, JV7 said:

On the subject of the runoff rule being stiff... 

You know I love my Eagles. A few years ago (2013) Chip Kelly got his bunch of spuds to the division title. A year later (2014) he got them to the exact same finish (10-6) and because of the rules... missed out by a hair.

A season later, he was 7-9 (good enough for second in the NFC east), and out of a job... and his career has yet to recover. Probably won't recover.

At no point in the 2014 season, as an Eagle fan, did ANYONE complain about the rules. Not Chip, not Lurie, not any fans. Noone called for a change. We all came into the season knowing what needed to be done to make playoffs. We all accepted it and competed in full knowledge.

Your rule, in game, might be hard to watch unfold. But everyone knew it. Everyone adhered. What no-one talks about is how, as AFL fans, we all think it's our privilege to [censored] about it. NFL fans? They know their place. It's more important to them to win according to the rules everyone else plays by, than to win if they get a sneaky rule change. Maybe Cotchin/Hall get past a suspension. Maybe Buddy gets away with a curve on his set-shot approach that noone else in the history of the game gets away with.

Not in the NFL. The only recent instance is the tuck rule, which was pretty brutal. And that was 15 years ago!!! Otherwise, everyone is on board. They have a disaster of a commissioner running the thing. They have controversies that are so bad (concussion) that it's actually made players in our own club walk away. And yet, everyone in the league understands.... we all can whine... but in the end, we respect the rules of the game. If we didn't make it, we weren't good enough.

Long story short. Falcons won. Noone's disagreeing. Noone's bitching. They can lament... That's football fandom. But Falcons won.

Man. I wish we could have some of that in AFL. Pies fans have been ringing in 3-4 months after Queens birthday claiming they only lost cos of the umpires. NFL fans would be laughed out of town for that behaviour.

In other news folks.

61 yards.

Sixty-one.

Biggest at the Linc. Biggest by an Eagle. Rookie playing his second game. After missing a 40 yarder earlier. Against a division Rival with OBJ playing and dominating... to make them go 0-3 with their vaunted defense, Eli, JPP, Marshall...

Eagles might not do much this year. But wow. That was as good as it's gonna get this year. The hair on the back of my neck is still on end thinking about Wentz charging in to hug the kicker he met a fortnight ago.

I'm not saying it's Tom Macdonald at Subi.... But it's something.

So back to the games. Some great finishes to multiple games. Jags were immense. I didn't think the Eagles had any chance of making that FG.

Brady... ffs is there anything he cannot do? Cards blew it today. They were all over the cowboys early. I feel for Fitzgerald, he is a star and I can't see the cards winning a SB while he is still playing. 

5 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

So back to the games. Some great finishes to multiple games. Jags were immense. I didn't think the Eagles had any chance of making that FG.

Brady... ffs is there anything he cannot do? Cards blew it today. They were all over the cowboys early. I feel for Fitzgerald, he is a star and I can't see the cards winning a SB while he is still playing. 

God I hate him. You'd think by now he'd start getting to the point he won't be making all the other teams his [censored]. Seems to me he's either stayed exactly the same, are even marginally improved what with his new receivers. You and I with our sparkly new QBs, we're supposed to compare them to Brady? Ugh.

Speaking of QB comparisons... Where do Wentz and Goff sit now?

6 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

God I hate him. You'd think by now he'd start getting to the point he won't be making all the other teams his [censored]. Seems to me he's either stayed exactly the same, are even marginally improved what with his new receivers. You and I with our sparkly new QBs, we're supposed to compare them to Brady? Ugh.

Speaking of QB comparisons... Where do Wentz and Goff sit now?

Ha ha, yeah I marvel and Brady and wish he played for the Rams. ?

As for Wentz and Goff, so far Wentz has out shine Goff by a fair margin, Goff is bringing that margin back but if things keep tracking the same both will be very solid QB's. Goff a more safer, sure passer with Wentz a more, dare I say Rodgers style QB who rips it and then does these absurd passes down town.