Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Unofficial Richmond Cheer Squad

Bhima

One of the benefits of supporting the Demons is that I can usually always get a seat behind the goals in the Great Southern Stand.

On Sunday, me and my three brothers found a great spot and were eagerly anticipating a good game on a sunlit sunday afternoon, especially as my eldest brother is a Richmond supporter and was pretty confident of a win. Before the opening bounce we began to hear a horrible din emerging from the standing area in M2, and looking behind us saw a large mob of Tigers supporters squashed together, chanting in the fashion of an English Premier League match.

I need to say that I go to the footy to shout and cheer and lose myself in the glory that is the AFL. These Richmond supporters however had a bunch of anthems that they continued to chant throughout the match that was lacking in any degree of humour, wit or intelligence - or what I take to be the spirit of Aussie Rules. They came up with champagne lines such as 'bulls..t, bulls..t, bulls..t' (in response to umpiring decisions), or 'sit down, shut up, sit down, shut up' (in response to demons fans standing up to argue for an unpaid free kick). The problem was that it had the effect of generating a real atmosphere of animosity and aggression in the crowd around them.

It wasn't long before richmond and melbourne supporters began arguing with each other in the seats in front of me, and then later a fight broke out in the last quarter which took everyone's attention off the fact that the demons had finally broken the shackles and were dominating the game. In a spontaneous moment, the melbourne faithful stood and turned to sing the club song to the unofficial richmond cheer squad, who responded by singing the richmond song even when the game was long lost for the Tigers. My elder brother was ashamed by the supporters and said that it had ruined the day for him, and I also saw other Tiger supporters taking off their scarves in disgust. The noise pollution had the effect of totally distracting me from events on the field by the end of the day, try as I might to shut it out.

Having been to nearly every game this year, I have loved the atmosphere, and have occasionally brought my girlfriend in a poorly disguised attempt to woo her to the sport of AFL. She would have left early yesterday. This type of soccer hooligan style support has no place in the AFL, and it will not enamour the women and children who make up over 50% of AFL supporters to the game. I might be sounding a bit soft and conservative, but I can't remember anything like this mob who were there for an ugly spectacle, not for the good of the game.

Just wondering if anyone else was put off yesterday. I think at the least they should go and sing their inane mantras behind their own cheer squad.

Go Dees!

I was in the same area and heard the same thing. These guys would not be out of place at Molineux or Stamford Bridge. I was appalled that these guys only intent was to stir up trouble and antagonise MFC supporters. They had no real interest on what was happening on the ground.

While - deservedly so - the filth supporters cop a lot of criticism, I rarely go to a Dees v Tigers game, where I don't hear or see some form of trouble. I am reminded of the 2 occasions when I witnessed them even fighting amongst themselves. As some say, with justification, they're prone to eat their own at times.

this group of tigers supporters have been going to every tigers game for the past 15 years. they stand in the same spot every week, sing the same crap every week and as paying entrants to the ground, i would have thought were entitled to do as they please. harden people, its the footy, not church

this group of tigers supporters have been going to every tigers game for the past 15 years. they stand in the same spot every week, sing the same crap every week and as paying entrants to the ground, i would have thought were entitled to do as they please. harden people, its the footy, not church

Exactly and violence - either physical or verbal - has no place. I agree support as loud and strong as you like, but if your only motivation is to cause trouble, then your out of line in my view. These guys would not know a football from a brick.

Despite our win, I felt very uncomfortable.

Edited by iv'a worn smith

Yeah i cant remember going to a richmond melbourne game without seeing those guys there. Its because that standing area is close to the bar. I was on the second level at the punt road end and i could see every single person on the first level turing around, and i knew there had to be a fight going on. I couldn't see the richmond supporters because they were almost directly below me, but the spontaneous Melbourne song cheering at them made me laugh.

Lucky it doesn't take two to tango.

Sometimes you could read the signs at the football and just avoid all encounters with toxic elements.

If it bothers you that much call the number flashed around the ground to report trouble makers.

I cant believe a fight broke out and its seemingly one side's fault.

The response of the melbourne faithful singing the grand old flag was gold, but i agree with most posters on this subject, there is banter but then there is banter with malice. since coming from ireland the thing i liked the most about AFL football is the fact that opposing fans can sit together and enjoy some healthy banter. i used to hate the 'us versus them' mentality that soccer has. i used to live in london near Arsenals ground Highbury and u literally couldnt go outside ur door on a sat afternoon for the fear of violence. mark my words i have had some 'healthy' argumnts at Dees games over the years(Usually against the filth) but always was a shake of hands afterwards, win or lose. The last thing the AFL needs is violence in our outside the ground, but its up to the AFL to stamp it out. A friend of mine said that he says it was nothing compared to the days at Victoria park where there was tons of fights week after week, mostly filth fans battering each other, whick isn't a bad thing, explains the lack of teeth. the genuine richmond fans must hate seeing this crap, lets hope the AFL do something.

Just wondering if anyone else was put off yesterday. I think at the least they should go and sing their inane mantras behind their own cheer squad.

Go Dees!

There not a cheer squad, adult drunks in footy jumpers actually = bogans. Used to go by the "Grog Squad" in the 70's a bit like the animal cage at Morabbin in the 80's and even more like them now given the crap their side has dished up for the last 25 years.

I was sitting on the wing in the Southern Stand yesterday and could hear them pretty clearly. I sat in front of them at the start of the year and although they could be annoying I don't think they did anything that would cause them to be ejected from the stadium. In fact earlier in the year when we got on top of them in the 3rd quarter some of the Melbourne supporters including myself were giving it back to them and there was no violence or malice. Like someone earlier said, it is football, harden up.

I also thought it was good when the chher squad stood and faced them and sang Its a Grand Old Flag. It would have been good if this spread around the ground to where most Melbourne supporters were singing it and drowned them out.

From where I sat in the Northern Stand with my kids, I could just hear them and it was obvious in the last quarter that something had occurred when most people sitting around me were watching the Punt Rd end behind the goals.

In situations like that, ignoring 'them' is sometimes the best thing rather than escalating their emotions by objecting to 'them'. Objecting to their chants just adds fuel to those one eyed tiger supporters where emotion runs high.

Pretty sure they've had run-ins with a few other cheer squads from other teams.

Interesting to get the story behind the breaking out of the song yesterday.

I heard the chanting (from the MCC wing) and was rapt to hear it develop into our song.

That's more attitude than we normally show I thought.

It might have spread around the ground but for the fact that the on-field action went up a notch.

It was a great answer to whatever was going on. Good on em.

My Dad is a Richmond supporter, he went for the first time in about 15 years (funnily enough, that was about when I converted my little brother to a Dee), I didn't sit with him, but he was telling me before some Richmond fans were making some pretty disgusting comments about LJ, I won't repeat them.

He wanted to confront them, but was with Mum and some friends from Tassie and thought better of it.

He hates Melbourne (thanks to me) but sat there ashamed of his own supporters. Sad, I doubt he'll go again.

I got to the game late and sat right in front of these toothless ferals until moving at quarter time to our usual position.

My kids were pretty upset with the crap they were chanting and the running commentary of filth and vitriol in between.

It was a sweet moment when both cheer squads broke out into Grand Old Flag in the last and turned toward these clowns. Really enjoyed that. There is a Geelong group of idiots who do the same thing.

I was in the same area and heard the same thing. These guys would not be out of place at Molineux or Stamford Bridge. I was appalled that these guys only intent was to stir up trouble and antagonise MFC supporters. They had no real interest on what was happening on the ground.

While - deservedly so - the filth supporters cop a lot of criticism, I rarely go to a Dees v Tigers game, where I don't hear or see some form of trouble. I am reminded of the 2 occasions when I witnessed them even fighting amongst themselves. As some say, with justification, they're prone to eat their own at times.

You obviously have never been to Stamford Bridge. If you had you wouldn't compare the home of Chelsea football club and it's singing and chanting with a few witless richmond supporters.

You obviously have never been to Stamford Bridge. If you had you wouldn't compare the home of Chelsea football club and it's singing and chanting with a few witless richmond supporters.

I went to a Paris Saint-Germain and Marseilles football/soccer match last year, and it was really something. Compared to the situation at the G it would've looked like ballet. It is the only time in my life when i have genuinely though i was going to get my head kicked in. Also, it is an obvious statement, but if you dont want to get punched, dont get involved and let the cops sort it out

This so called "violence" at the MCG is a bit of a storm in a tea cup.

As is everyones focus in the media on Violence in the CBD at the moment.

In the end, they can do as they wish... no matter how distasteful. Freedom of speech.

They lose their reputation though (if they had any to begin with!).

I could hear the rabble from the AFL Members wing!!

What I WOULD like to complain about is in regard to Richmond's OFFICIAL cheersquad and how they make that mass noise during the opposition's kick-outs!! It's feral and very unsportsman-like.

If I followed Richmond I too would drink myself senseless to numb the pain.

They are just a small minority of ****heads and I'm sure they cop it week in, week out from fans of other clubs.

Our club's on the verge of greatness. Their best player (Cousins) is past his use by date.

GO DEES!

In the end, they can do as they wish... no matter how distasteful. Freedom of speech.

They lose their reputation though (if they had any to begin with!).

I could hear the rabble from the AFL Members wing!!

What I WOULD like to complain about is in regard to Richmond's OFFICIAL cheersquad and how they make that mass noise during the opposition's kick-outs!! It's feral and very unsportsman-like.

The same annoying noises were made by the essendon supporters at the bummers game when we kicked in, it is really annoying and just shows them for the feral supporters that they are. They were also doing chants at the essendon game such as " shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your tin cans, shake your tin cans". Well we are debt free now bummers and higher than you on the ladder so suck on that ferals!!!! Gotta love Karma!!!!

The same annoying noises were made by the essendon supporters at the bummers game when we kicked in, it is really annoying and just shows them for the feral supporters that they are. They were also doing chants at the essendon game such as " shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your tin cans, shake your tin cans". Well we are debt free now bummers and higher than you on the ladder so suck on that ferals!!!! Gotta love Karma!!!!

Shake your tin cans! That's actually pretty funny. I think you should be able to see the funny side of it or ignore it otherwise.

I heard the Richmond supporters. I don't think that they should swear, however its the football and they are allowed to have a say. If you don't like it, sit elsewhere.

Yep. This is why I ALWAYS go right up to the nosebleed section. Usually in the Olympic stand through Gate 3, and on a pocket. You get away from the nuff nuffs, It's pleasant, comfortable. You see EVERYTHING. The only reason to go the bottom levels is atmosphere... and more than half the time the atmosphere is that of drunken lunatics.

Give me Q51 any day. Even in finals.

I don't care if they want to chant & sing etc, but alot of them were getting really aggressive towards Melbourne supporters. At 1/2 time a bunch of them were telling us to get [censored] etc, while we were just going to get drink/food.

It was also very surprising how young alot of them were! Alot of them were about early-mid 20s.

See my link on demonology about an after the game incident at the G. There was a very ugly scene outside the ground with the police slow to sort it out. the incident seemed to have spilt over from something that had happened inside the ground.

Yep. This is why I ALWAYS go right up to the nosebleed section. Usually in the Olympic stand through Gate 3, and on a pocket. You get away from the nuff nuffs, It's pleasant, comfortable. You see EVERYTHING. The only reason to go the bottom levels is atmosphere... and more than half the time the atmosphere is that of drunken lunatics.

Give me Q51 any day. Even in finals.

I'm with you, Dappa. I used to sit in the cheersquad every week, but I found that I spent half my time looking at the screen rather than the ground, so I hightailed it up to the top tier wing and have never looked back.

To me they are highly amusing, but then I was far enough away from them not to hear what they were saying. But footy is about emotion, and getting angry, and getting stuck into the opposition and showing passion. The atmosphere and noise yesterday was amazing, and it is a part of what makes wins special.

Watching the cheer squad give them heaps at the end of the game was very pleasant indeed.

Also, I gotta give props to the cutest little kid who sat in front of me with his family and was loving it sick. Hands down the cutest kid I've seen at the footy (kids at the footy usually kick my seat and prevent me from swearing, and hence I hate them). He almost made me want to have little Melbourne supporters ;)