Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Wonaeamirri

Red Sox

Like to hear from others regarding Aussie Wonaeamirri: I would hope that he is given a chance to survive as his last two years have been a wipe out. This year he is struggling for consistency which has been highlighted again in the Casey match report.

I noticed the thread on players to be cut and only Rhino bought up Wonna as an option to cut - you have no heart Rhino!! But I agree with the sentiment somewhat.

I would fully expect that he is part of the list again next year but I would also expect that if he is not consistently playing footy with the Dees, regardless of injury he would find his spot in serious jeopardy. Bennell IMO has all the potential to sail past him. Other players like Bail also have so much upside.

It will be interesting to see how this eventuates. If he is still here it will mean he is playing the footy that we all expect he can but the sentiment can only last so long.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like to hear from others regarding Aussie Wonaeamirri: I would hope that he is given a chance to survive as his last two years have been a wipe out. This year he is struggling for consistency which has been highlighted again in the Casey match report.

I noticed the thread on players to be cut and only Rhino bought up Wonna as an option to cut - you have no heart Rhino!! But I agree with the sentiment somewhat.

I would fully expect that he is part of the list again next year but I would also expect that if he is not consistently playing footy with the Dees, regardless of injury he would find his spot in serious jeopardy. Bennell IMO has all the potential to sail past him. Other players like Bail also have so much upside.

It will be interesting to see how this eventuates. If he is still here it will mean he is playing the footy that we all expect he can but the sentiment can only last so long.

I think he will play 2011/2012, after that they will reassess. He has the talent, he hasn't had a full preseason for 2 years, and he is best friends with one Mr Jurrah. While it's not a great opinion for me to have, I think the club will keep him for another 2 years, if for nothing but keeping LJ settled. We have worse list cloggers than Aussie at the moment.

When fit Wonna is in our best fowardline set up as the small crumbing type. He has better goal sense than Bennell/Jetta/Maric and a much better tackler than Bennell/Maric. It all depends on him staying fit and limiting his soft tissue injuries.

It would be a sin for us to axe him when we have carried so many others for years with ongoing injuries with far less up-side(Bell, Rivers, Meesen, PJ)

When fit Wonna is in our best fowardline set up as the small crumbing type. He has better goal sense than Bennell/Jetta/Maric and a much better tackler than Bennell/Maric. It all depends on him staying fit and limiting his soft tissue injuries.

It would be a sin for us to axe him when we have carried so many others for years with ongoing injuries with far less up-side(Bell, Rivers, Meesen, PJ)

yeh let's get rid of our only forward pocket that has impeccable set shot for goal. clever stuff

Aussie flying at the moment, will get his chance in the next few weeks

The Ox stated when commentating yesterday that Wonna will be back in a couple of weeks.Gee he would need to hit form this week at Casey for this to happen.I also have watched training and he seems to be doing well.

yeh let's get rid of our only forward pocket that has impeccable set shot for goal. clever stuff

What's his set shot record the last 2 years? Nah, only joking Freak just a flippant response from me to a post with little thought from you.

Who said anywhere here to 'get rid of him'?

I love the bloke and would love nothing more to see him in red and blue....that's not the point here. But shoot from the hip as you wish.

What's his set shot record the last 2 years? Nah, only joking Freak just a flippant response from me to a post with little thought from you.

Who said anywhere here to 'get rid of him'?

I love the bloke and would love nothing more to see him in red and blue....that's not the point here. But shoot from the hip as you wish.

Have you not read this thread? The post above you says the exact words about being gone :)

He will be with us for the next 5+ years so yeh. Can't fathom why some people have short fuses with players. I still remember when everyone was saying how Mclean was so much better than Sylvia and that the only reason we picked up sylvia at 3 and not at 5 is purely because there was more demand for Sylvia. The Mclean> Sylvia threads were on for a while there. Still can't believe people that have hinted that Rivers was lucky to get another contract. When push comes to shove, I would have him as our second best defender(outside Frawley).

People should be worried more about players like Morton. Where will his improvement come from? His disposal hasn't improved and he is still skinny as a rake. He is too weak for Key position, too indecisive and clanger prone for the backline and terrible in the 50/50 ball for the midfield. I'm thinking it will have to be half-back if anything, to use his run and handball.

I am/was a Wonna fan, but I just can't see him making it in this team now.

The year out came at a terrible time for him, he should've been cementing his spot, honing his skills/role. Instead he spent a year out, and another year struggling for form and fitness.

Meanwhile we draft Tapscott, Petterd's value and game explodes, and the coaching staff's favourite - Bennell, has shown he's far more athletic and far quicker than Wonna.

I had a hard time fitting Petterd into my future forward 6, and I'm a massive Petterd fan. It's easy to leave Wonna out.

It's going to be hard for him now, and probably one of the hardest decisions the club will have to make in terms of player management in a long time.

I'd love to see him fight back and prove me wrong, I just doubt it'll happen.

Wonna is one of the best natural footballers on the list. I would hate to see him delisted.

The big concern for mine is the way he manages himself and is managed when he is injured. He should be playing senior football now but again returned in an unstaisfactory state. The fitness guys need to be all over him when he can't take the track. He has been unlucky with injury sure, but I don't think there is any excuse for putting on excessive weight in the midddle of the season.

Maybe an unpopular view, again I say I believe he has a huge amount of potential.

Edited by dandeeman

I believe Wonna has a contract for Next year. 2011. He will need to get fit,,, next year & show real committment the the team & club or something will give, I'm sure.

Edited by dee-luded

The competition is tough. Green, Watts, Jurrah, Sylvia, Petterd, Bate have all staked their claim....

Wonna, Bennell, Jetta, Blease, Tapscott, all fighting for one spot.

Sorry I forgot to add Hughes, Maric and Bail.

So that makes (8) Bail, Wonna, Bennell, Jetta, Blease, Tapscott, Hughes, Maric fighting for one spots on the forward line, and 2 if you include the centre line.

Depending on where Morton and Grimes end up that will tighten the competition.

I think there is still a couple places up for grabs on the back line where Bartram is holding sway. They would have to leapfrog, Cheney and Strauss.

In a word we over stocked with smalls and left ourselves short of talls.

The competition is tough. Green, Watts, Jurrah, Sylvia, Petterd, Bate have all staked their claim....

Wonna, Bennell, Jetta, Blease, Tapscott, all fighting for one spot.

Wonna - Goalsneak pocket/midfield

Bennell - Wing/half forward

Jetta - midfield maybe

Blease - wing/half back

Tapscott - midfield /half forward

All very different players, a couple won't make it.

Have to agree with Freak. Wonna is our only natural forward crumber. Bennel we are trying to develop in that fashion and Maric is more opportunist and I doubt will make the grade. He would not be costing us much more than base. You recontract him and see how he goes with 2 injury free years.

Sorry I forgot to add Hughes, Maric and Bail.

So that makes (8) Bail, Wonna, Bennell, Jetta, Blease, Tapscott, Hughes, Maric fighting for one spots on the forward line, and 2 if you include the centre line.

Depending on where Morton and Grimes end up that will tighten the competition.

I think there is still a couple places up for grabs on the back line where Bartram is holding sway. They would have to leapfrog, Cheney and Strauss.

In a word we over stocked with smalls and left ourselves short of talls.

In yesterday's side the likes of Cheney, Bartram, MacDonald, Bruce, Johnson, Dunn, possibly Jones and Rivers will be replaced by the likes of Grimes, Morton, Petterd, hopefully Strauss, Bail, Wonaeamirri, Bennell, Jetta, Blease, Tapscott and hopefully Maric. Hughes will be delisted at year's end.

As for Wonaeamirri, there is no way, not a chance that he will be delisted this year or next. It just won't happen.

Edited by Roost It

Wona needs one thing.

A PRE-SEASON.

Actually,

AN INJURY FREE INTENSE PRE-SEASON.

If he can train the house down then i have no doubt he will be back to his pre-injury best, and that form would have him in our team for sure. I think playing with LJ is a big motivator for him so hopefully that will also drive him.

I think by him playing at Casey he too is learning that past performance will not guarantee his place and he will have to work. All good motivation for him to come back next year fitter and stronger than ever.

Wona needs one thing.

A PRE-SEASON.

Actually,

AN INJURY FREE INTENSE PRE-SEASON.

If he can train the house down then i have no doubt he will be back to his pre-injury best, and that form would have him in our team for sure. I think playing with LJ is a big motivator for him so hopefully that will also drive him.

I think by him playing at Casey he too is learning that past performance will not guarantee his place and he will have to work. All good motivation for him to come back next year fitter and stronger than ever.

You are correct he really needs to be injury free.

If he has a contract for next year he is very lucky because I think without that he might be for the high jump.

Unfortunately I think he is injury prone. There are some players who are prevented from achieving there potential by a body that just does not seem to able to take the load.

This is his third year for a handful of games and how many of those games has he played very well, from my memory 2 - 3 which are three seasons back.

I have seen him three times at Casey this year and his two games at AFL level via TV.

I have to say he has been ordinary, unfortuately his time may have gone past and we now have a number of players vying for his spot.

4 -5 players have to go at the end of the year. IMO he would probably be one of them.

If he has a contract for 2011 that is his year to shine or it is all over with the MFC.

In yesterday's side the likes of Cheney, Bartram, MacDonald, Bruce, Johnson, Dunn, possibly Jones and Rivers will be replaced by the likes of Grimes, Morton, Petterd, hopefully Strauss, Bail, Wonaeamirri, Bennell, Jetta, Blease, Tapscott and hopefully Maric. Hughes will be delisted at year's end.

As for Wonaeamirri, there is no way, not a chance that he will be delisted this year or next. It just won't happen.

I think you need to get your emotions out of the equation.

There is not a player on the list that cannot be delisted if they are constantly injured and cannot get on the park.

Every year 4 - 6 players have to be delisted.

If he has a contract for next year and is either injured or not good enough to play in the AFL side in 2011 he will be delisted.

If he does not earn his spot on the list he will make way for some one else

Sad but true.

Why "won't it happen" ???

Have you not read this thread? The post above you says the exact words about being gone :)

He will be with us for the next 5+ years so yeh. Can't fathom why some people have short fuses with players. I still remember when everyone was saying how Mclean was so much better than Sylvia and that the only reason we picked up sylvia at 3 and not at 5 is purely because there was more demand for Sylvia. The Mclean> Sylvia threads were on for a while there. Still can't believe people that have hinted that Rivers was lucky to get another contract. When push comes to shove, I would have him as our second best defender(outside Frawley).

It is very much like a merry-go-round with the player bashing/pumping...

Happens every year.

People should be worried more about players like Morton. Where will his improvement come from? His disposal hasn't improved and he is still skinny as a rake. He is too weak for Key position, too indecisive and clanger prone for the backline and terrible in the 50/50 ball for the midfield. I'm thinking it will have to be half-back if anything, to use his run and handball.

Thank god there is someone on here with a few brain cells.

Guest watts04

wona = everyone loved a cpl years back

= needs a preseason

only natural crumber and will be fine when fit next year

need a good crumber

funny how people jump off

The players mentioned in the forward line, the position Wonna plays or most likely to play. Bail, Wonna, Bennell, Jetta, Tapscott, Hughes, Maric, Petterd, Bate, Watts, Jurrah do make it a tough call.

Looking ahead without say Brad Green - we would hope to pencil in a forward line that included definites like Watts, Jurrah, Syliva and then take a pick from the rest which I'm not going to rank or debate here but just say that from that group Wonna is going to find it difficult for a game. As are many of the names when matched against each other just now!!

Would love to see a fit & firing Wonna alongside Jurrah & no doubt we will see it. Hopefully for a long time but you'd reckon he'd have to make that impact again soon which includes next year.