Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL Teams Average Age & Experience

H_T

St.Kilda............Average Age 26.4.........Average Games 119

Collingwood.........Average Age 25.5.........Average Games 119

North Melb..........Average Age 23.9.........Average Games 67

West Coast..........Average Age 23.7.........Average Games 69

Carlton.............Average Age 23.7.........Average Games 73

Essendon............Average Age 23.7.........Average Games 71

Melbourne...........Average Age 23.5.........Average Games 63

Adelaide............Average Age 25.4.........Average Games 96

Port Adelaide.......Average Age 24.6.........Average Games 83

Brisbane............Average Age 24.6.........Average Games 93

Sydney..............Average Age 26.1.........Average Games 110

Richmond............Average Age 23.6.........Average Games 66

Bulldogs............Average Age 25.7.........Average Games 106

Hawthorn............Average Age 23.5.........Average Games 65

Fremantle...........Average Age 24.5.........Average Games 79

Geelong.............Average Age 25.5.........Average Games 100

Some interesting comparisons above. This week there are some close clashes in terms of average age & experience, with the widest gaps being Melb V Adel and Syd v Rich.

LADDER - in terms of youngest & least experienced to most: -

1.Melbourne

2.Hawthorn

3.Richmond

4.West Coast

5.Essendon

6.Carlton

7.North Melbourne

8.Fremantle

9.Port Adelaide

10.Brisbane

11.Adelaide

12.Geelong

13.Collingwood

14.Bulldogs

15.Sydney

16.St.Kilda

Observations:

North, West Coast, Essendon & Carlton were very close for this week re: average age & experience.

Whilst there will be fluctuations in figures week by week this season, I still find this fascinating. I find Hawthorn's position fascinating. Sydney is also a team that stands out, whilst not surprising there were quite a few changes to their list over Summer. They have conditioned bodies with experience and have added pace to their side in the form of Jetta, Rohan, McGlynn and the return of Kennelly. They've also got Seaby who might be another to thrive under Roos.

If you were to go with a higher avg. age with experience this week, here are the tips: -

St.Kilda

North Melb

Carlton

Adelaide

Brisbane

Sydney

Bulldogs

Geelong

B)

*references* - H-Sun

I prefer medians, and the percentile as it shows how much a team relies upon it's younger players.

By way of example

In the Hawks/Melb case, of the players who played last week:

25th percentile: Melbourne 15 games, Hawks 46 games

median (50th percentile): Melbourne 48 games, Hawks 76.5 games

75th Percentile: Melbourne 83, Hawks 111

avg: Melb 66, hawks 81

Green, bruce and JMac really throw the average.

Interesting. I thought the selectors actually decided to pick a more experienced team for Sunday. They chose Newton over Spencer; they dropped Strauss to make way for Sylvia; and they picked Bate and Jones over Cheney and Garland.

Despite these selections, we still have the youngest and most inexperienced team in the AFL this weekend.

The Dees will stay young over the next couple of years too. Junior and Bruce will probably retire by end of 2011.

They will be replaced by an army of kids including Garland who have played 20 games or less who are pushing for selection. Add Tapscott, Gawn and Blease who will virtually be new recruits in 2011, and it's going to be difficult to give all of them the gametime they need in the senior team.

Somethings gotta give. Miller has gone; Rivers, Bate, Jones and Warnock are 4 other guys who may struggle to hold their place unless they can improve their disposal skills. By 2012, 1/2 the goals scored in the AFL may result from turnovers, so If you can't kick or handpass efficiently then you're in trouble.

that is scary that the hawks are the 2nd youngest team in the league

Hawthorn are a good example of how much of a positive effect of having 4 or 5 elite players can have on the rest of the team. Mitchell, Hodge, Bateman, Roughead & Franklin. Swap them with McDonald, Moloney, Davey, Miller & Newton and then see how each team performs.

I'd like a wager you are completely wrong. What a stupid unknowledgable statement.

No need to insult the guy.

I would be very, very surprised if JMac was still playing in 2012. And Bruce will probably be driving us all nuts by that stage and will only be allowed to stay on because he and Green are the only two who qualify for the Vets list.

I prefer medians, and the percentile as it shows how much a team relies upon it's younger players.

By way of example

In the Hawks/Melb case, of the players who played last week:

25th percentile: Melbourne 15 games, Hawks 46 games

median (50th percentile): Melbourne 48 games, Hawks 76.5 games

75th Percentile: Melbourne 83, Hawks 111

avg: Melb 66, hawks 81

Green, bruce and JMac really throw the average.

Double Nerd Alert :)

I'd like a wager you are completely wrong. What a stupid unknowledgable statement.

Junior turns 34 this year. Bruce turns 31. Are you saying that they will both be playing AFL football in 2012 when they are two years older? There are recent exceptions such as Bradley and Harvey, but they were A grade players.

Not only is their age a problem, but Bruce and Junior will face increased competition for their positions from the likes of Tapscott, Blease, and Gysberts.

My bet is that Junior will retire at the end of this year, and Bruce to retire after 2011.

it's called football analysis... it's what some people like to do when they log on to websites to talk abut footy, and some other people enjoy reading it

Whinger Alert

Grow a sense of humour......I was reading the post too in case you didn't figure that out.

Some people like to analyse football but keep a sense of humour about them at the same time.

Go Dees

Whinger Alert

Grow a sense of humour......I was reading the post too in case you didn't figure that out.

Some people like to analyse football but keep a sense of humour about them at the same time.

Go Dees

Warning HUMOUR ALERT. (look it up HUMOUR = funny to most people but generally not nerd :o )

Junior turns 34 this year. Bruce turns 31. Are you saying that they will both be playing AFL football in 2012 when they are two years older? There are recent exceptions such as Bradley and Harvey, but they were A grade players.

Not only is their age a problem, but Bruce and Junior will face increased competition for their positions from the likes of Tapscott, Blease, and Gysberts.

My bet is that Junior will retire at the end of this year, and Bruce to retire after 2011.

That makes me think - how long will Green play for then? He's only 29 but he could potentially play until our premiership (if we win one, which we will :D). He did mention he wanted to play to his mid-30s.

And I reckon Junior this year, Bruce in 2012.

That makes me think - how long will Green play for then? He's only 29 but he could potentially play until our premiership (if we win one, which we will :D). He did mention he wanted to play to his mid-30s.

And I reckon Junior this year, Bruce in 2012.

The difference between Bruce, Junior and Green is that Green is an excellent left foot kick. Look at the kicking for goal in the AFL this year. Not brilliant. Anyone who can get a bit of the ball and kick it straight is worth their weight in Sherrins.

What price Green for captain when Junior retires? He leads by example (that effort to come back against the hawks); he can hold his position in the side, and he's spoken passionately about the club. Not many other options either, other than perhaps Davey.