Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Juice Newton

Redleg

He looked much bigger in the Herald Sun today than I have ever seen him. Added strength will give him increased confidence and more chance to score goals. Given he has one year left on contract he needs to produce in 2010. Hopefully he still can become a key forward for us.

Edited by Redleg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding strength did wonders for Chip Frawley. But he always had the weapons of speed and ticker to go with it.

I'm not sure Newton has any weapons. It'd be nice if he does improve enough to add some depth up forward at least.

I'm not sure Newton has any weapons. It'd be nice if he does improve enough to add some depth up forward at least.

He has strong marking and long kicking as a couple of weapons. He could improve them with accuracy.

He looked much bigger in the Herald Sun today than I have ever seen him. Added strength will give him increased confidence and more chance to score goals. Given he has one year left on contract he needs to produce in 2010. Hopefully he still can become a key forward for us.
Looking at Morton in that same photo, if his mums cooking is any good he will look imposing one day. Lets hope Cale dines out on her meals. ;)

Now we are not tanking we have no need for him. He was awesome for us when we were trying to lose..... and for this we should be thankful to him. In his own way Juice has helped us to the PP and maybe in time this will prove to be influential in our 13th premiership. At the end of the day his influence can be compared very closely to our favourite non-Melbourne player Jordan McMahon.

Thankyou Juice!

He has strong marking and long kicking as a couple of weapons. He could improve them with accuracy.

I've seen too many balls bounce off his face and chest at Casey to agree that he's a strong mark. He'll take the odd ripper now and then but he often 2-grabs his marks and far too often drops easy ones.

Now we are not tanking we have no need for him. He was awesome for us when we were trying to lose..... and for this we should be thankful to him. In his own way Juice has helped us to the PP and maybe in time this will prove to be influential in our 13th premiership......his influence can be compared very closely to our favourite non-Melbourne player Jordan McMahon.
Unfortunately the board has already been renamed.

I'm not going to be cruel like a few have but Newton just isn't good enough to play AFL.

If he is getting a bigger frame then well done to him - he is now doing the minimum required of tall prospect, something he should have done around 2 pre-seasons ago.

tbh, considering we dont really have a ff i wouldnt mind seeing juice get the chance to string games together.

Its his last season to prove him self, he can do some good things at time although he can do some very unco things.

I just remember his debut game against richmond, he looked promising didnt he?

You can add muscle..... sadly muscle does not mean he will lift his defensive pressure inside 50 and his ability to kick straight.

If you'd actually watched him play a game this season, you wouldn't be making comments like that. You can say many things about Newton, but his defensive pressure is no longer a deficiency in his game. In fact, it is now one of his strengths...

I really think he's a confidence player, and if he can find some confidence with his goal kicking, then I think he'll prove to be a good target next to Jurrah and Watts...

If you'd actually watched him play a game this season, you wouldn't be making comments like that. You can say many things about Newton, but his defensive pressure is no longer a deficiency in his game. In fact, it is now one of his strengths...

I really think he's a confidence player, and if he can find some confidence with his goal kicking, then I think he'll prove to be a good target next to Jurrah and Watts...

Certainly agree with your points about his defensive pressure, it was there right from the NAB cup. He improved significantly in this area, no doubt about that.

tbh, considering we dont really have a ff i wouldnt mind seeing juice get the chance to string games together.

Its his last season to prove him self, he can do some good things at time although he can do some very unco things.

I just remember his debut game against richmond, he looked promising didnt he?

It was against Essendon wasn't it? Daniher's last game as coach. From memory, he kicked 1 goal in that game and followed up with 3 goals the week after against Carlton.

You can add muscle..... sadly muscle does not mean he will lift his defensive pressure inside 50 and his ability to kick straight.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with his defensive pressure inside 50. There might have been in his earlier days, but not now. If anything, it's one of his strengths now.

I think if he is able to gain a bit of confidence he'll become a useful player, but even if that happens, I'll always be wondering when it's going to turn "off" again. Such is the nature of confidence players.

Edit: Sorry, committed the cardinal sin of not reading the whole thread. Well put vanlo.

Does any one think if and this is a bit wishfull thinking i no.

IF all goes right for Juice does he have the capability to become a dominant key forward.

I believe he has the size and presents to also his speed isnt too bad as is his spring.

But then again i think to my self.... this is Michael Newton im talking about.

He always contested well despite his slimmer frame, his positioning has always been good. No matter how big he gets it wont fix his kicking, unless its a psychological issue. Some players, across all sports when they get fitter play better so lets hope he improves otherwise number 1 on the chopping block.

No matter how big he gets it wont fix his kicking, unless its a psychological issue.

This is Juice's probelm. I've seen him slot set shots at Casey from 50 metres out on the boundary, then miss from 20m directly in front... He's not the first player to have these issues at AFL level, Richo is a prime example of a player who has struggled with his set shots at goal, Cam Mooney, doesn't mean these guys can't kick, they just need to get their head right...

This is Juice's probelm. I've seen him slot set shots at Casey from 50 metres out on the boundary, then miss from 20m directly in front... He's not the first player to have these issues at AFL level, Richo is a prime example of a player who has struggled with his set shots at goal, Cam Mooney, doesn't mean these guys can't kick, they just need to get their head right...

I once saw Neitz miss 5 in a row at training on about a 20 dgree angle 45 out. Then Chris Fagan went and manned the mark he kicked 9 out the next 10.

So i am not surprised if this was his problem, though would be surprsied if there is not larger issues associated with his ball drop ala Ben Holland.

I think once you put aside all this fan hatred, and the usual witless sniping from so caled MFC supporters, this is basically where Juice still stands.

He's like any other player with a year contract. He HAS to make inroads, and he must prove that there is some hope there that he can fix whatever it is in his brain that's stood in his way so far. At least, with him, it's a very VERY simple equation. Does he want it enough?

All that being said, when it comes to making a call... PURELY in a prediction/crystal ball sense... I would say that I doubt it'll happen. I'm as big a supporter of his as anyone. I just think there's too much doubt. If he was going to do what was required, he'd have done it by now. It took Jurrah a handful of games, zero preseason... When you weigh Juice up in these terms he just has SO far to go.