Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE COACH AND THE DISCIPLE

Demonland

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sturt's win against minor premiers Glenelg means the Double Blues have secured a place in the 2009 SANFL grand final against Central District at AAMI Stadium next Sunday. It will be the Bulldogs' tenth straight grand final.

I'm not an expert on SA Footy and like some of the others barrack for the SANFL Redlegs, Norwood. I'll defer to the Adelaide Advertiser's report to describe the performance of Jack Trengove who turned 18 earlier this month. As mentioned above, the report that will appear in tomorrow's paper says this about JT:-

... it was young gun Jack Trengove that arguably won the game for Sturt. Clean disposals and toughness at the footy helped the 18-year-old to 29 possessions, most of which were under extreme pressure and cleverly executed.

If you get a hold of some of the vision from the game and have any doubt left about the youngster's ability to match it with the men, check out the mark he took in defence in the dying moments of the game.

Statistics for Jack Trengove: 16 kicks 13 handballs 8 marks 3 tackles

Sturt 0.0.0 5.2.32 8.5.53 9.6.60

Glenelg 2.3.15 4.7.316.10.46 7.13.55

Goals

Sturt Jaensch 3 Coad Sheedy 2 Bowen Johncock

Glenelg Adlington Block Button Fisher Kirkby McGregor Murphy

If you want to relive the final quarter here it is minute by minute from the local:

"Let’s pick up action from the start of the final term to find out.

Sturt managed to extend its surprising one-point lead at half-time to seven points at the last change, with a late soccered goal and then a missed set shot to Jeremy Johncock breaking a 46-46 deadlock.

The Bays should be in front but trail 8.5 (53) to 6.10 (46) mainly because of Todd Grima’s disastrous 0.4 return in front of goal.

Maybe Tiger fans could introduce a similar section to the one these Bulldog fans used to run about Anthony Ingerson.

Sturt take the field several seconds earlier than the Bays, who have been held in the huddle for a long time by Mark Mickan.

Toby Thurstans, who was stretchered off after hyperextending his knee while landing awkwardly in a marking contest, starts in the forward line. His career looked over 20 minutes ago.

Jake Bowen starts in ruck against James Sellar. Surely Bowen must run out of legs soon after rucking solo most of the day following Luke Norman’s decision to leave out Angus Kurtze.

James Plant starts the quarter the way he has spent most of the game - staying so close to Ty Allen they are now arguably dating.

The decision to play Plant instead of Kurtze has worked a treat for Sturt so far with Allen only having seven possessions. Plant has had five.

A long left foot kick forward by Tristan Gum is spoiled by Daniel Kirk. Matt Jaensch has time to gather the crumbs and have a shot on goal but over-runs the ball. The Bays clear.

0.34-3.30

Sturt continually push the ball forward but the Tiger defence holds firm. The Double Blues are dominating play but can’t find a clean possession inside 50.

Throw in on centre wing, just forward of centre for the Bays. Neither of Glenelg’s three ruckman make it to the contest but Sturt’s Jake Bowen still manages to find Brett Backwell with his hit-out. Backwell kicks high inside 50 and the ball is marked by Lachlan Button who enjoys a 10cm height and 20kg weight advantage over Pat Fittock. Dangerous match up for Sturt.

If you thought Grima’s kicking was bad in the first three terms what do you call that kick? Button’s shot from about 45m out tumbles forward like an aeroplane spinning out of control and tumbles out of bounds for a throw in.

Brett Backwell reads the ball from a ball up and finds a metre of space. He tries to duck under a Scott McGlone tackle but Scooter clutches a handful of Backwell’s jumper and drags him down. Holding the ball. Brilliant tackle.

Jack Trengove makes the first mistake of his life and is caught holding the ball on centre wing. Byron Murphy’s long kick in to the forward line misses a leading Grima, but the key forward gathers the ball well and manages to squeeze a centring kick to the top of the goal square where Button marks uncontested. He makes no mistake this time. Sturt by one point.

Ty Allen wins a free kick after the centre bounce and his awarded a 25m penalty after Plant, who is so focused on stopping Allen he doesn’t realise the whistle has actually been blown, still tackles him. Allen’s kick forward is at the feet of Button and Fittock wins the ball on the ground before performing a pirouette Baryshnikov would be proud to dodge past Button and Adam Fisher.

The Bays move the ball from full back to half forward with some brilliant running handball. Button kicks long and high inside 50. It takes Jake Bowen three long seconds from the time he begins running in pursuit of the ball for his body to actually start moving forward. This allows Ruory Kirkby to arrive at the ball first. He easily dodges around Bowen but his left-footed checkside kick for goal from about 40m out falls short and is cleaned up by McGlone.

Danny Meyer clears the ball from a boundary throw in on the outer wing, finding Ben Kane in the centre of the ground with a neat pass. Wayde Mills takes off from full back and is half-heartedly pursued by Jeremy Johncock who hopes Kane won’t pass to his opponent. Poor gamble by Johncock. Kane hits Mills who in turn kicks long inside 50 where Grima takes a clever contested mark in front of Nick Wark, who is the shortest 186cm man in Australia.

Grima’s kicking confidence is so low that he opts to pass to a leading Button. The play works with the big number 44 marking in front of Thurstans, who has been moved down back to give Fittock a rest. At this point you can only imagine what’s going through Button’s head. (My guess is one or all of the following: Why did he kick to me? Why did I lead? Why does this angle look so sharp all of a sudden? Please don’t let this kick be as bad as my first kick at goal this quarter. I wonder if my beard looks as tough as I thought it would on TV).

Button’s kick isn’t as bad as last time, but he pushes the ball wide for a behind. Given Grima’s kicking today he probably made the right choice in passing off. But can you imagine a Brant Chambers or Ben Warren doing the same thing in the same situation? Scores level.

The Bays’ tackling is ferocious and preventing Sturt from moving the ball forward with any real purpose. The Tigers will win the tackle count 20-10 this quarter.

Mills runs off Johncock again and kicks a low pass inside 50 which Backwell unsuccessfully attempts to mark one-handed. Lachlan McGregor swoops on the crumb but his left-footed pass to Murphy, who is all alone about 30m out directly in front of goal, misses the target.

James Sellar kicks long to a leading Todd Grima who fails to mark a tough chance. Tristan Gum is first to the ball on the ground and is awarded a free when Kellock falls in to his back.

Ryan Herring, who has played this game like he’s in a coma, misses a golden opportunity to wrap up Mills in front of the Double Blues goal. The Tigers move the ball forward to eventually produce a shot on goal by Kellock. But his shot from outside 50 falls harmlessly short. James McLeay kicks the ball outside his defensive 50 and out of play.

Nick Wark kicks out of defence to a leading Thurstans, who, because of his earlier injury, is honestly the last bloke Sturt should be kicking to at the moment. Thurstans never looks like taking the mark and Backwell swoops. Mouse’s kick from the 50m boundary is about 10cm too far to the left, just grazing the post as it bounces through. Glenelg by one point.

Mark Ruwoldt tries to give Ben Nelson a “don’t argue”. Yeah right. Nelson not only holds his ground but steals the ball out of Ruwoldt’s hands.

After marking in the back pocket, Trengove kicks long and high to the middle of the ground. Ty Allen spoils Craig Evans’ attempted mark and Lucas Block gathers. His quick kick forward finds Murphy in space but his left-footed shot from about 40m out again falls harmlessly short and Bowen marks.

Sheedy kicks long from half back to centre wing. Cranston’s spoil falls perfectly for Matt Jaensch who hits the ball at full pace and breaks forward. He kicks to the hot spot, 20m out from goal where Herring has the sit on Daniel Kirk but can’t hold the mark. Glenelg rush a behind. Scores level.

Glenelg work the ball up to centre wing where Kane marks on the boundary. The stand-in skipper has nothing on down the line so he swings back in to the middle where Kirk has worked forward. But Kane turns the ball over with a poor kick.

Michael Bratton’s kick forward is thumped back by Murphy. Gum wins the ball back and handballs on to Fittock, whose blind turn is sublime. His footwork for the second time this quarter is spectacular. Fittock handballs on to Michael Coad who has several team-mates free inside 50.

Coad launches the ball toward the top of the goal square where Mills is busy trying to defend three opponents. He is beaten to the ball by Jaensch who takes a mark running with the flight of the ball and cruises in to an open goal. Jaensch slams through his third of the game and celebrates like he’s just one the 100m at the Olympics. Sturt by six points.

Sturt force the ball to half forward where Glenelg tie things up. The Tigers allow Coad to be third man up at the ball up and he thumps the ball forward in to the path of Gum, who has no one between him and the goals.

Paul Adlington lays a goal-saving tackle on Gum, who takes a split second too long to take his shot. Holding the ball. Glenelg are still alive.

Adlington kicks wide to a leading Trevor Cranston. Cranston kicks the ball to Kirkby at half-forward, who can’t mark but keeps the ball in front where Backwell roves. Backwell hits a leading McGregor lace out inside 50. McGregor will shoot from 40m out on a reasonably tight angle to get his side back on level terms.

McGregor never gives himself a chance, starting his kick out wide where the ball stays. Sturt by five points.

Wark’s kick out asks too much of Fittock and he is forced to spoil Ruwoldt. Adam Fisher is the first to the ball and handballs back to Mills who finds Kane with a kick that barely travels the required 15m.

This is the last roll of the dice for Glenelg. Kane kicks long but the ball falls short of the pack that has gathered in front of goal. The only man that reads it is Trengove and he takes a courageous overhead mark in front of McGregor. It wasn’t quite a Leo Barry effort but in the context of this game it was just as important.

Glenelg turn the ball over on the wing and Luke Panozzo kicks to a leading Grima on the 50m line. Wark manages to spoil but that man Trengove is again in the right spot to win the ball.

Trengove is swamped by Glenelg players and loses the ball to Fisher. Fisher kicks on his left inside 50 but Coad drifts back and takes a crucial mark.

The siren sounds, Sturt have won the unwinnable match, snapping a nine-game losing streak against the Tigers after failing to register a score in the first quarter. A young Glenelg fan can’t hold back tears in the grandstand. This is one of the darkest days in the club’s history.

Trengove, with 29 disposals - including 10 in the final term - and Sheedy are the heroes for the Double Blues.

Glenelg had several willing workers, but its better players - including Murphy, Kane and Fisher - were unable to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

The final quarter stats reveal Glenelg’s dominance - Possessions: 65-58, Hit-outs: 16-9, Clearance: 9-7, and the big one, Inside 50s: 14-8.

Thanks KJ, great to get all of those updates.

From what I've seen of this kid, which admittedly isn't all that much, today's performance just reinforces my viewpoint of him.

A complete player, someone who marks it well, has good skills, toughness and poise.

He is a must draft in my opinion, I would probably go as far to suggest that he is the top prospect in this year's draft pool.

"...dominated" - really? Not sure I know which poster you are referring to.

To the topic, and on face value, Trengove sounds terrific. Young bloke from SA - any risk of another Scott Thompson scenario? I wonder if that's in the thinking of the footy department.

Worth the risk IMO

Todd Viney was a 220+ game player for the Demons and he was recruited from Sturt and retired a Demon

There have been many Victorian born demons that went to Sth Australia , Ross Dillion and Gary Hardeman to name just 2

Funny that neither player will make the draft camp... Could it make any difference? Hope not.

Nope, all that means is that nobody can come on here and throw around useless stats like "Scully is the 3rd fastest, shortest vertical leap player to run a 18.9 beep test in under 10 seconds" :rolleyes:

Worth the risk IMO

Todd Viney was a 220+ game player for the Demons and he was recruited from Sturt and retired a Demon

There have been many Victorian born demons that went to Sth Australia , Ross Dillion and Gary Hardeman to name just 2

Hopefully by the time his 2 year contract is up we'll be a team on the rise. Like with any succesful team of the modern era, the 'go home' factor doesn't seem as important to a player when he is part of an exciting group with a genuine chance to have a tilt at the premiership. GO THE GOVER (just throwing that one out there)! Or he could become 'New Chooka', as Nathan Brown once said, 'every footy club needs a Chooka'.

Jack has said to me-

Has no preferences on where to go in the AFL, Just wants a crack at AFL footy.

I then asked him if the Dees picked him up would he have any temptation to go home like Scott Thompson did?

He answered-

if i got picked up i would love to be a one club player. there is no incentive at the moment for me to come back to adelaide. i can see myself settling down wherever i went next year. as long as i had a good group of friends at the club i went to, i could see myself staying there for my career.

So yeah thats for all the peeps worried about the Scott Thompson disease haha

your welcome :)

I don't understand what's the big deal with the whole "go home" factor anyway. IMO it's the risk you take when you pick up anybody from interstate. It's funny how people only start to talk about it when high draft picks are involved. I've never heard anyone suggest that Jamie Bennell is heading home to WA soon.

Anyway Jack Trengove is going to have to move interstate anyway cause there is no way in hell he'll last to pick 8.

What would be great is if we could draft his best mate Tapscott with pick 11. Our very own Stuart Dew, to break the lines and kick it to Jurrah one on one.

I'd rather take a risk on the go home factor, than blow pick 2 on someone who is not best available due to fear.

You pick the best player with picks 1 & 2, period.

Worrying about what may eventuate in 2/5/8 years time is pointless. What if Scully gets an Egan-like injury and never recovers? All you can do is draft based on what is happening today. Today, Trengove is proving to be a worthy second pick. Today, we need gun midfielders who can win the ball, dispose of the ball, and stand up in finals.

Question for all, Obviously from this thread trengrove is a mature boy, not saying that scully isn't but obviously a lot of pressure comes with being the number one draft pick, would it be worth taking him one and scully two (doesn't make a difference to us I know) but considering this kid is from another state it would possibly be less pressure on him in Melbourne ie doesn't have so many people who know him etc.)

Could be a silly call and at the end of the day it wouldn't matter what order we take them in but just to upset the status quo that scully will be number one...

Question for all, Obviously from this thread trengrove is a mature boy, not saying that scully isn't but obviously a lot of pressure comes with being the number one draft pick, would it be worth taking him one and scully two (doesn't make a difference to us I know) but considering this kid is from another state it would possibly be less pressure on him in Melbourne ie doesn't have so many people who know him etc.)

Could be a silly call and at the end of the day it wouldn't matter what order we take them in but just to upset the status quo that scully will be number one...

Don't think those two will care if they come 1 and 2.

pick 1 will not get the same pressure as Jack Watts this year cause there will be two of them to share the load and they won't be still at school.

Agreed I don't think they will care but every year the number one pick will get a lot of attention, Trengrove from all reports has more a ready made build for AFL football so if he is taken at number one and is going to play and have an impact in his first season then thats a good option to silence a few.

Also being a Sth Aus boy and the chance that oneday he may wish to return home, does being a number one draft pick as opposed to number two carry more weighting?!? Not that I would hope it would ever happen.

Why don't we just Pass on Pick 1 so that no-one has to carry the burden?

We would have to decide between Scully and Trengove but in the long run...

We would still have Pick 11, which would effectively be Pick 10...

Cunning.

Or you could just take the best player at 1 and let him deal with it like Hodge has, and Riewoldt, and Murphy, and Gibbs, Cooney...

Why don't we just Pass on Pick 1 so that no-one has to carry the burden?

We would have to decide between Scully and Trengove but in the long run...

We would still have Pick 11, which would effectively be Pick 10...

Cunning.

Or you could just take the best player at 1 and let him deal with it like Hodge has, and Riewoldt, and Murphy, and Gibbs, Cooney...

Exactly. I don't really get how picking them at 2 instead of 1 is going to alleviate the pressure any. They'll either handle it or they won't. If we're that concerned that one will handle the pressure better than the other, then make sure they're always present at the media commitments together and let the one who is more comfortable wear more of the heat, it'll help spread the load. Actually, that should happen regardless. I am hoping that in today's recruiting 'science', a firm head on the shoulders should be a criteria for pick #1 anyway.

Pick whichever one is better at 1, and the other at 2. Surely it isn't that hard.

Edit: Also belated thanks for the updates KrazyJay et al. As someone who doesn't watch the young blokes, reading stuff like this gets me pretty excited at the possibilities at draft time. Your enthusiasm is infectious.